How can I get myself fired from my pharmacy tech job without breaking any laws or stealing?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Miserable TECH in Chicago, Illinois

33 months ago

I really hate my job I don't have have the courage to quit so I am planning on getting fired. If I get fired I will be able to collect unemployment benefits until I find another position.

I would like some suggestions on what I can do that will make the pharmacy director "let me go" here are some ideas I had (no stealing, no verbal assault with co-workers or patients/customers) something more passive aggressive.

Today I had to work but I just didn't show up I pulled a no show. I was thinking about taking days off coming in late 15 minutes and then pushing it to 20 minutes late every other day, maybe letting the phone ring and not picking up or letting the voicemails refills just sit there until the patients show up for pick up. Maybe not being proactive at all and doing the bare minimum to get by...Does any one else have any good ideas?

I know this sounds really horrible especially with so many people looking for tech positions but this job really makes me miserable I hate waking up in the morning thinking I have to spend the next 8.5 hours in a pharmacy dealing with the mayhem. I am just not happy and I think that the best thing I can do for myself is get out now...its very frustrating when you truly hate your job not just dislike but HATE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

starving in Rancho Cucamonga, California

33 months ago

You have to be laid off or the pharmacy closes for you to get benefits. If you get fired through your own fault you will get nothing.don't get fired four being useless it will make it impossible for you to find a new job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

BrainsAndBeauty in San Diego, California

33 months ago

starving in Rancho Cucamonga, California said: You have to be laid off or the pharmacy closes for you to get benefits. If you get fired through your own fault you will get nothing.don't get fired four being useless it will make it impossible for you to find a new job

Exactly! You do have to be laid off due to budgetary constraints. If you just perform your job badly and unreliably, this will get you fired. Forget about using them as a future reference.

If you hate where you work, but not that actual job of being a pharmacy technician, why don't you just look for other employment opportunities within your field?

If you are currently working in a retail setting, why not try switching to a hospital setting? They usually pay better and you deal less with the public.

Not sure how to get a hospital job? If no place is hiring, offer to volunteer at a hospital. Tell them you are interested in gaining experience in IV and compounding. Often times after volunteering or interning, they end up hiring you.

In the meantime, if you hate where you are working so much, put in your two week notice and do your job well until that time is up. Then you can leave with a good reference.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out for you.

BrainsAndBeauty in San Diego, California

33 months ago

starving in Rancho Cucamonga, California said: You have to be laid off or the pharmacy closes for you to get benefits. If you get fired through your own fault you will get nothing.don't get fired four being useless it will make it impossible for you to find a new job

Exactly! You do have to be laid off due to budgetary constraints in order to receive unemployment benefits. If you just perform your job badly and unreliably, this will get you fired. Forget about receiving unemployment checks. Forget about using them as a future reference.

If you hate where you work, but not that actual job of being a pharmacy technician, why don't you just look for other employment opportunities within your field?

If you are currently working in a retail setting, why not try switching to a hospital setting? They usually pay better and you deal less with the public.

Not sure how to get a hospital job? If no place is hiring, offer to volunteer at a hospital. Tell them you are interested in gaining experience in IV and compounding. Often times after volunteering or interning, they end up hiring you.

In the meantime, if you hate where you are working so much, put in your two week notice and do your job well until that time is up. Then you can leave with a good reference.

PCL in El Centro, California

33 months ago

i understand

PCL in El Centro, California

33 months ago

Dont get your self fired. for one, you are not guaranteed unemployment benefits. People who get fired don't always get unemployment. It varies case to case, so dont be so sure for benefits. I understand you hate your job, but the smartest way to do it, is actively seek another job. Being fired from your job is not a good record. Play your cards right and youll eventually get out of there but in good terms.

please dont go in New Castle, Indiana

33 months ago

just suck it up untill you find a new job. how old are you anyways? sounds like you're real young talking about getting fired to collect unemployment.

tripplesix in Washington, District of Columbia

32 months ago

BrainsAndBeauty in San Diego, California said: In the meantime, if you hate where you are working so much, put in your two week notice and do your job well until that time is up. Then you can leave with a good reference.

please dont go in New Castle, Indiana said: just suck it up untill you find a new job. how old are you anyways? sounds like you're real young talking about getting fired to collect unemployment.

Exactly. And exactly.
I am a little confused about the actual issue here. You don't have the courage to quit, but you have the courage to make things worse for the customers; which is exactly what you will be doing if you continue your behavior. Don't get me wrong... everyone calls out or comes in late at times when they really don't want to be at their job. But the other things you mentioned directly effect customers. How hard is it to type up a 2 week notice letter, taking it to your boss and telling him that you are leaving. If anything you can lie and say you have some family issues that require a lot of your time at this time. In all honesty, it seems that you are not worried about another job. Just simply getting out of this one (regardless of having another job lined up or not). But please.... it is hard to find a job... not hard to leave/quit a job. Feel me?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.