What do I need to do to become a Pharm Tech?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

Simon in Richmond, Virginia

81 months ago

I'm confused about what I actually need to become a Tech. Certification? License?
Do I need to go to one of these schools to become a pharm tech?

From what I'm getting now is that I either go to one of these schools and get a License then take the PTCB and get certified?

Or can I just take a VA Pharm Tech License test then get certified from there?

Thank you for the help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (170) / No (59) Reply - Report abuse

Diana in Brooklyn, New York

76 months ago

Will I still get a job if I have na completed my PTCB exam for the certificate?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Jerri Mckinnley in Jacksonville, Texas

74 months ago

I was told that I can download the book for pharmacy tech online. Can someone tell me where exactly where I need to go to do this? I have looked at so many different places on the web and I have not found it yet? Thank you so much for any information I can get.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jazz in Glendale, California

71 months ago

chang Lee in Los Angeles, California said: I will be graduated pharmacy tec program in american career college jan 2.
Iam looking for job right now .
please help me.

Hey was ACC a good school for you. How is externship going so far?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

harry in Flushing, New York

71 months ago

heloo i want to pharmacy tech where i can strat? please help me.. and where i can buy books for that .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

jac in Saint Louis, Missouri

70 months ago

once you are hired at a pharmacy, and they've done the drug test, finger printing, and background search, as long as you pass all 3 and get the job, the info you submitted, name, dob, address, phone, etc, The state will automatically send you a license then you have to have a picture taken, usually by employer to put with the license that will hang on the pharmacy wall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Mission Viejo, California

66 months ago

Allied school offers very good online program at affordable price. www.pharmacytrainingonline.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lady Morgan in Lebanon, Oregon

66 months ago

I am moving to St. Louis,Mo and I am need of some information for becoming a pharmacy technician. Know one is giving me good advice on where to start at....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lee in Beaumont, Texas

56 months ago

My question is, how often do Pharm. Techs. get drug tested? I mean, is this going to be a completely random but present thing or something less irratable and degrating as just once unless strong suspicions otherwise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Kalispell, Montana

56 months ago

ANYONE LOOKING TO BE A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN THAT DOESN'T HAVE A LOT OF MONEY FOR SCHOOL SHOULD GO TO PASSASSURED.COM. ITS $250 FOR A DISC THAT THEY SEND YOU, YOU PUT IT IN YOUR COMPUTER AND START LEARNING!!! YOU CAN STUDY AT YOUR OWN PACE, AND THEY HAVE A "GUARANTEE EXAM" AT THE END AS WELL AS MINI-EXAMS AT THE END OF THE SECTIONS. I KNOW IT WORKS BECAUSE I TOOK MY PTCE 2 DAYS AGO AND I PASSED!!!!!! THANKS TO THIS PROGRAM. SO THOSE WANTING TO BE A CPHT SHOULD DEFINITELY LOOK INTO IT!!:) HOPE THIS HELPS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Kalispell, Montana

56 months ago

Bichy student in LPHS in Hacienda Heights, California said:

First of all, learn to spell before you decide to tell people to shut up. Second of all, this is a place where ANYONE can come for advice. So grow up and don't be so rude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

cpht39 in Everett, Washington

55 months ago

Have you tried to volunteer somewhere...you know...work for free then eventually if the pharmacist is satisfied...he or she may hire you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jersey_girl in Browns Mills, New Jersey

51 months ago

N.Foxx in Chester, Virginia said: There opening a new walgreens nearby that opens april 23rd...Do i need a pharm tec license...cuz my cousin did it in new york and she didnt have a license !!!

im actually doing that right now for cvs. i was a tech for walgreens in pa. cvs and walgreen with both train you and help you get certified with the company and the state. theres not really a need to pay for and attend the pharmacy tech schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

nicole88 in Spokane, Washington

50 months ago

I am a hardworking, educucated, single mother of a three year old little girl. I go to school and I work hard to pay my bills. I also have scoliosis and frequent excruciating migraines. I doctor this pain with a little herb and it really helps me eat, sleep, puts me in a positive mood, and most importantly it makes the pain bearable so that I can function. I am currently finishing my pre requisites for the Pharmacy Technician program that begins in the fall and I have a couple questions: 1)Is there one initial drug test upon entry of receiving the job, or are they random or scheduled after that point? 2) What type of drug test do they do? Urine,oral,hair,blood? 3) If you have a medical marijuana card and fail a test, can they fire you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MHardgrove in Nashville, Tennessee

50 months ago

First and foremost, check with your individual state about the requirements for becoming a Pharmacy Tech. Google your state and requirements to be a tech. I know from experience that KY and TN only require you to become licensed with the respective state. I believe it was $25 for KY for 2 years, and $50 for TN for a year. Both states had no state requirement to be a CPhT. Most places, however, will not hire you unless you have have pharmacy experience, school training or completed the CPhT. I moved to CO, and this state has no state license or requirement for CPhT, but states like WA and CA make you complete schooling. I took the CPhT exam without studying (after being a tech for less than 3 weeks), and unless you are horrible at math you should be able to pass with minimal effort.

As for smoking pot, it is illegal federally, so yes you can be fired. Employees will point to federal law to get rid of you. I have worked in the pharmacy field with complete stoners, and as long as you don't make mistakes or give your employer a reason to test you, they won't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cassie in Mebane, North Carolina

48 months ago

Does anyone know if WalMart trains to be a CPhT or if you have to go to school for it.

catmiller in San Diego, California

48 months ago

I worked at Rite Aid. They put me through their pharm. tech program. I am certified by them and I have my pharmacy tech license from the state of California.
I can see the upside to going through a program especially an intense one if you want to work at a hospital. However, if that isn't your goal and you strictly want to work in retail I would seriously consider working for a CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid as a clerk in their pharmacy (to see if you even like working in retail pharmacy cause trust me it can be stessful) then, after some time, going through their tech training program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dany in Peachtree City, Georgia

41 months ago

I went through Cvs they train you and you take the state test then you can do training for national in which they'll pay for

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

K Michel in Puyallup, Washington

40 months ago

I am curious about the PassAssured.com program. I looked it up and it seems that it's just too easy. I am not against the training programs, I just believe that I could learn the book stuff on my own and take the test without dropping a bunch of cash AND a lot of time. I ultimately want to go to school to be a Pharmacist, but it's a 6-year program and I need to work first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

davidnono65 in Riverside, California

38 months ago

How often do they drug test a pharmacy tech?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NewbieTech in Boston, Massachusetts

38 months ago

catmiller in San Diego, California said: I worked at Rite Aid. They put me through their pharm. tech program. I am certified by them and I have my pharmacy tech license from the state of California.
I can see the upside to going through a program especially an intense one if you want to work at a hospital. However, if that isn't your goal and you strictly want to work in retail I would seriously consider working for a CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid as a clerk in their pharmacy (to see if you even like working in retail pharmacy cause trust me it can be stessful) then, after some time, going through their tech training program.

When working at CVS, you have no choice but to do their training program. I am doing it now, and am learning so much.

They go over laws thoroughly, have online coursework, along with classes. They will pay for your STATE exam first. Then, after that if you wish, they will give you the online training materials, and work books to study for the NATIONAL exam, which they will also pay for.

I def. recommend CVS to anyone looking to dive into pharmacy tech, and don't know where to start.

bicky

38 months ago

I wanted to know if there was a way for me to get a pharm tech lisence in CA without getting the national certification. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bicky

38 months ago

Dany in Peachtree City, Georgia said: I went through Cvs they train you and you take the state test then you can do training for national in which they'll pay for

Can i get lisence for state and get a job, or do i have to get both?

j.g.s in Hagatna, Guam

38 months ago

bags2dapowa8@yahoo.com in Killeen, Texas said: Hi:) My name is Rosita, I took courses at a training school in Guam and got my certificate from the National Healthcareer Association, and even with this certification, I was encouraged to take a PTCB Test...Apparently it's the 'one' that will help your pay once you work in the pharmacy. Good Luck, hope this helped you... "Certification" is good, but the "PTCB" gives you a better chance to work at a hospital and or become a supervisor. OK:)

good day Rosita! i'm from Guam and i was wondering what training school did you attend? i took and passed the PTCB exam and i'm still trying to figure out how to be a licensed here on guam. i also graduated from a 4 year pharmacy course in the philippines. would i still need to take courses?

Liz in Valley Stream, New York

37 months ago

Hey! Can someone please tell me what the minimum age requirement is in order to become a Pharmacy Tech in NY?

Liz in Valley Stream, New York

37 months ago

Hey, Can someone please tell me the minimum age requirement in order to be a Pharmacy Tech. in NY?

ssleevo in Escondido, California

34 months ago

bicky said: I wanted to know if there was a way for me to get a pharm tech lisence in CA without getting the national certification. Thank you.

In the state of California you cannot be a pharmacy technician without a license. You must be a certified pharmacy technician to be a pharm tech in other states. This certification lasts for 2 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.