How to get a Pharmacy technician job with no previous retail or hospital experience?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 325)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

wanda g in Richmond, Virginia

65 months ago

Steve in Los Angeles, California said: I have a separate but related question for the technicians out there. Do most of you have difficulty with pharmacy calculations (e.g. preparing for certification exam)? And what did you guys do or would you recommend for preparation?

I received my national certification after the exam. You can get some pharmacy calculation books from barnes and noble book stores. Also ,ask at your local high schools, I worked at a place where the employer wanted to test the math skills of their applicaqntss. I suggested asking high school math teachers and they were extremely willing and glad to come up with minor test. hope this helps, the only thing bad that can happen is that they say no.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

wanda g in Richmond, Virginia

65 months ago

wandag in virginia took test in 2004, I too have had lot of trouble finding pharmacy technician position, They usually want you to be state licensed, national certified, four or five years experience and want to pay you min. wage because you have not worked as a pharmacy technician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ashleyyyy21 in Victorville, California

65 months ago

im thinking about going to pharmacy tech school does anyone know of any good online schools?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bprlal13 in Houston, Texas

65 months ago

yes ,try national pharmacy technician organization is like under $500,join the organization once your a pharmacy tech .I'm a member ,i didn't took their only course. But i have taken many of their continuing education credits and the material seem very good:) good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

adriana in Laguna Beach, California

65 months ago

your also want to try the community college there coarses are cheapper than going thru some of the institutions. Victorvalley college has a great coarse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dovelet in Saint Louis, Missouri

65 months ago

Carry in Houston, Texas said: Been turned down for 4 years as a Certified Pharmacy Technician. Went to school got certified and registered. The problem, I have No experience. So how can I get a pharmacy technician job without no previous pharmacy technician experience, only school experience. I'd go into a pharmacy to speak to the head Pharmacist and it seems they look at you good first, then say no openings and will tell me to try elsewhere???? I even took a job readiness class so I know how to speak and dress somewhat professional, clean looking, natural hair color, close toe shoes, clean nails etc. even when walking in. Do they pick by appearance and choose whom they prefer to work there? Of course they will pick the one with more experience but how can I even start if I never get hired? I also heard that the staff won't have the time to train you if you are new so they won't bother hiring you???? Why won't they even give someone new to the field a try? How to get a Pharmacy technician job with no previous retail or hospital experience?

There is a Phamacy Board in every state...maybe if you try contacting them to see if they have any internship "programs" (w/o pay) or something similar that any pharmacy/pharmacist participates in that will guide new techs...it's a thought anyway.

tumbleweedgirl in Victorville, California

65 months ago

I know how you field I have only been out of school a few months I have been thru several interviews and I find the same thing no expereience no job I even scored high in there skill testing for some of the pharmacy's but that is not even helping me. I think that going to school for Pharm tech was a waste of time if I can't find a job. My school is trying to help me get a job like 2 hours away were I can start in about a month but they don't understand that its far and I have a child beside that the a hours are really crazy. Beside that I own my home so its not like I'm renting and I can just pack my stuff and move. Also I would not be able to spend any time with my child.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Oluwaseun Ife in Waco, Texas

65 months ago

Joy in Desoto, Texas said: THAT'S WHAT I'M DOING. CALIFORNIA PAYS MORE THEN TX. SO I'M MOVING BACK OUT THERE. MOST PLACES AROUND RIVERSIDE COUNTY PAY $16-27/HR. AND IT INCLUDES FLEXIBLE SHIFTS AND GREAT BENEFITS WITH 0 TO 1 YEARS EXPERIENCE, OR THEY TRAIN. TYPE IN PHARMACY TECH ON CAREERBUILDER.COM AND YOU'LL SEE SOME OF THE JOBS IN YOUR AREA AND THEIR PAY RATE. YOU COULD ALSO TRY CVS OR A TEMPORARY AGENCY.I GET MY CERTIFICATION AND LICENSE NEXT MONTH AND I HAVE EXPERIENCE IN A HOSPITAL AND NURSING FACILITY AND I'M GOOD AT PHARMACY CALCULATIONS. I SAY TRY CVS, TARGET, RALPHS OR WAL MART AND GO IN PERSON. I KNOW MOST OF THEM HIRE IF YOU HAVE A CERTIFICATION. GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS YOU!!!

hey Joy,
I see that u're from Desoto, TX..let me share my story with u since I'm a new CphT seeking employment. Do you know this pharmacy called SMA Pharmacy in your area? It's owned by an african. Last couple of days, i was interviewed by the owner who offered me (CphT) $7 an hour, I mean SEVEN DOLLARS AN HOUR, and would want me to start by next week. The guy went on saying that he's doing me a favor and that he's willing to add $1 to my every month depending on how good I work for him.
What do you think I should do? btw, what is the pay rate for a new CphT around DFW/Grand Prairie/Arlington?

brown_dude34 in Roslindale, Massachusetts

65 months ago

Consider yourself very lucky in this “New Economy” to make $7.00 an hour. According to what you previously posted. You stated that you are a certified pharmacy technician. The facts are the present economy is in very deep recession. Unfortunately, this is the worst economy in the last 25 years of America’s history along with record unemployment.

Currently the US unemployment rate is at 10% and continuing to rise. Moreover, had it not been for government intervention in the form of bailouts and stimulus packages. The US might have been in the Greater Depression of 2009 by now. A lot of small businesses including privately owned pharmacies are struggling.

Keep in mind that 80% of the employment in America is created from small business. Small business has taken a considerable hit in the form of credit reduction, higher interest rates on loans and higher state/local taxation. So expect to see starting salaries slashed in half, reduced hours, etc.

That’s the sacrifice most Americans have to make nowadays if you want to work. Either you take a pay cut or you have no job. Nevertheless this post might seem blunt but that’s just the way it is at this time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Decatur, Georgia

65 months ago

Techgirl09 in Hixson, Tennessee said: I studied at home and took the exam and passed. It took me 8 months and then got hire on by Walgreens. I love my job and am so grateful I was given a chance with no exp. Try Walgreens!!

HOW MUCH DID THEY START YOU OFF AT WALGREENS AS A CERTIFIED TECH?

Jennifer in Decatur, Georgia

65 months ago

Oluwaseun Ife in Waco, Texas said: hey Joy,
I see that u're from Desoto, TX..let me share my story with u since I'm a new CphT seeking employment. Do you know this pharmacy called SMA Pharmacy in your area? It's owned by an african. Last couple of days, i was interviewed by the owner who offered me (CphT) $7 an hour, I mean SEVEN DOLLARS AN HOUR, and would want me to start by next week. The guy went on saying that he's doing me a favor and that he's willing to add $1 to my every month depending on how good I work for him.
What do you think I should do? btw, what is the pay rate for a new CphT around DFW/Grand Prairie/Arlington?

I THINK YOU WILL WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THAT PHARMACY! CONTINUE WITH YOU JOB SEARCH AND APPLY FOR WELL KNOWN PHARMACY LIKE CVS, WALGREEN'S AND WALMART. GOOD LUCK!! AND REMEMBER DON'T GIVE UP!!

Joy in Desoto, Texas

65 months ago

I think its good and terrible. Lol! $7/hr. isn't worth it since Kroger's pays like $14/hr. then again some people won't train you and you have to start somewhere. It depends on how bad you need a job and if you could really see yourself working all day for $7/hr. You could always work there until you find a better place. This girl told me her sister has only been a Pharmacy Tech. for a year in a half at CVS which in which they trained her and she makes a good $71,000. Her sister works in Dallas, I forgot the name of the street.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joy in Desoto, Texas

65 months ago

Oluwaseun Ife in Waco, Texas said: hey Joy,

You would be very fortunate to start off with a very good wage in this economy especially without experience. I would take it just, because I need money for my car insurance and apt. down payment and what not so I'm at the point where I wouldn't care as long as I get paid until I found a better job. So I say keep it and still look elsewhere. Maybe I should apply...Lol...Hope you enjoy your job!

Oluwaseun Ife in Texas

65 months ago

Joy in Desoto, Texas said: You would be very fortunate to start off with a very good wage in this economy especially without experience. I would take it just, because I need money for my car insurance and apt. down payment and what not so I'm at the point where I wouldn't care as long as I get paid until I found a better job. So I say keep it and still look elsewhere. Maybe I should apply...Lol...Hope you enjoy your job!

I'm kinda desperate for something; I've got huge bills waiting. However, comeon, the minimum wage in TX is $7.25.
I say..thanks for sharing your opinion.

Oluwaseun Ife in Texas

65 months ago

Joy in Desoto, Texas said: I think its good and terrible. Lol! $7/hr. isn't worth it since Kroger's pays like $14/hr. then again some people won't train you and you have to start somewhere. It depends on how bad you need a job and if you could really see yourself working all day for $7/hr. You could always work there until you find a better place. This girl told me her sister has only been a Pharmacy Tech. for a year in a half at CVS which in which they trained her and she makes a good $71,000. Her sister works in Dallas, I forgot the name of the street.

Might have to continue w/ CVS after all I'm still employed with them.

Oluwaseun Ife in Texas

65 months ago

Joy in Desoto, Texas said: I think its good and terrible. Lol! $7/hr. isn't worth it since Kroger's pays like $14/hr. then again some people won't train you and you have to start somewhere. It depends on how bad you need a job and if you could really see yourself working all day for $7/hr. You could always work there until you find a better place. This girl told me her sister has only been a Pharmacy Tech. for a year in a half at CVS which in which they trained her and she makes a good $71,000. Her sister works in Dallas, I forgot the name of the street.

Every Kroger store is NOT hiring any pharmacy tech @ the moment..according to 3 different pharmacists @ different stores.

lorilea83 in Northport, Alabama

65 months ago

Just out of curiosity does anyone know how much Rite Aid in Alabama starts their pharmacy techs out at? I just got the call that they wated to hire me and was just wondering if anyone had an idea. I just currently got my liscense but am not certified. I have no experience working in a pharmacy, but do have a bachelors degree (not sure if that will help me though). Really all I did for 2 weeks straight was go to EVERY pharmacy in Tuscaloosa/Northport to fill out applications. I was getting very discouraged when I finally got a phone call. All I can say is put yourself out there, build up a resume and just start handing them out. At this point in time, I would be satisfied with any pay because the way I see it, 7 or 8 dollars/hr is better than 0:)

kamille n in Sheb, Wisconsin

65 months ago

I'm interested on majoring in Pharmacy. I work at a drugstore as an employee that works up front only. My problem is that I really want to transfer so I can work in the Pharmacy as a tech. I was told that the store manager is in charge of the pharmacy technicians but I'm afraid he will deny my request. Any help at all or any info about this? And, will this benefit me if I do plan to go to pharmacy school?

Gloria Garcia in Victorville, California

64 months ago

I've also come across the problem, here in Victorville, Ca., I moved up here to gain employment as a Pharmacy technician, but have not been able to find one., I am certified and I had just renewed my Licence this year. Don't know if I will do it in 2010, and the problem is the experience(needed)@ least 2 years of it, the only experience I have is 160 hours of the internship that I had to go through after my training(@ the school I attended)of 8 months. I was able to find a job as a substitute assistant for special needs kids with the San Bernardino County of Schools, & I have been looking every chance I get for even just a PT position in a Pharmacy.

Chatty Cathy in Spencer, Massachusetts

64 months ago

I've been seeking employment as a Pharmacy Tech. for over a year in Central Massachusetts. I am PTCB certified but with no pharmacy experience and therefore no registration. I have applied to several retail pharmacy chains with no success and at this point volunteering at a hospital would be a viable option for me.
Does anyone have any tips on how to find a position as a pharmacy volunteer in a hospital?

Gloria Garcia in Hesperia, California

64 months ago

I am having the same problem here in the Hesperia, Victorville area in California. I also had to look for some other type of employment with the County of San Bernardino Superindent of Schools as a Substitute Aide, need to pay my bills, and school loan for Pharmacy Technician and I cannot relocate @ this time.

Mii in Livingston, California

64 months ago

mami in Chicago, Illinois said: I'am sick and tired myself about that f.... pharmacy technician job. i have a license an have been looking for a job for about 8 months, no replies. my license is about to expires in 4 months. I will not renew it. I'm thinking about going back to school for some else. wat u said is right. they looking at you nice but then they gonna say ''NO openings here'' try somewhere else. They can definatly k... my a... on that one. luckily i didnt bother to be certified that would have been a waste of money. I will get a regular job somewhere else and go to school for administration.

Have you tried looking at prisons and insurance companies? Just a thought.

64 months ago

SARAH in El Monte, California said: I'M HAVING THAT PROBLEM TOO. I'VE BEEN ASKING AROUND AND SOME PEOPLE SUGGEST THAT I VOLUNTEER AT A PHARMACY. I WOULDN'T MIND BUT I'M LIVING ON MY OWN AND I DON'T THINK I COULD AFFORD TO JUST VOLUNTEER MY TIME AS A PHARM TECH WITH NO PAY. WHERE WOULD I HAVE THE TIME TO GET A PART TIME JOB WHILE VOLUNTEERING? I AM SO PISSED OFF WITH THIS PHARM TECH S***, I DON'T THINK I'M GOING TO RENEW MY LICENSE! I'M IN SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA IF ANYBODY CAN HELP???

Sometimes that is where you have to start for the experience!! If you have no experience and you can volunteer to gain some, why wouldn't you take it? A lot of people wish they can get that kind of opportunity. As you have read, MANY people are lacking the experience and aren't getting hired because of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

kgreco54@msn.com in Modesto, California said: I have been reading those horror stories about the difficulty of finding work. I was trained at the VA Hospital on a vocation rehab program. I then completed an online pharmacy school with a 99% grade,and then got the PTCB certification. I have not been successful yet and have applied for hundreds of pharmacy jobs! I wonder if it is the economy in general that is bad, or if there are just an excess of technicians? A.N.

Are you licensed?

anon in Chicago, Illinois

64 months ago

Do the people in this country think about anything else? Only lawsuits for every single action or inaction? Didn't the President of the USA lie to citzens of the country about Iraq - weapons of mass destruction when there were none! Why didn't the citizens of this great lawsuit oriented country file a lawsuit against the President?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Wailuku, Hawaii

64 months ago

Thought I would add my two cents while enjoying beautiful Hawaii. As a hospital pharmacy director in S. Calif, I can tell you that due to the glut of "pharmacy technician schools" and the slow economy, we have a lot of choices in hiring. At this point we will not consider anyone who did not attend a community college program or a military program. The so-called private schools, in my experience, will take anyone (including high school drop outs) and teach little. Sorry, but these are the facts. We do consider those without experience, if they are community college or military trained.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

TechieStudent in Crestwood, Kentucky

63 months ago

$7 sucks, but that would be cool if you were making $11-$13 an hour in just 4-7 months.

Tamia Long in Calumet City, Illinois

63 months ago

I was told by my profesor that since I have all the chemistry classes needed I would be able to get into a pharmcy and work! So I get my pharm tech. license and go to apply, but get told that I need other classes to get into the pharmcy! So do I need to take the pcat n get into pharmcy school before I can do so? Basically it seems like my professor sent me off BIG time!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

patt del sol in Carson, California

63 months ago

You can go to www.jethrohealthcareschool.com they have Pharmacy Tech training..
After finishing the class, take either NCA board exam or PTCB, PTCB is much harder but its really the best certification for PhT.

Training is $900, PDX training included

patt del sol in Carson, California

63 months ago

Long term care Pharmacies such as omnicare and caremark used to hire those with no experiences, but i think its mandatory now that their employees should take board exam and get certified.
Better go to school and get certification now when its not yet that expensive!

brown_dude_CPhT in Hyde Park, Massachusetts

63 months ago

Chatty Cathy in Spencer, Massachusetts said: I've been seeking employment as a Pharmacy Tech. for over a year in Central Massachusetts. I am PTCB certified but with no pharmacy experience and therefore no registration. I have applied to several retail pharmacy chains with no success and at this point volunteering at a hospital would be a viable option for me.
Does anyone have any tips on how to find a position as a pharmacy volunteer in a hospital?

Most hospitals have volunteer coordinators. Providing that you have obtained national certification along with licensure (which is easy to do once you have passed the national pharmacy technician examination at www.ptcb.org). I would suggest that you speak with the volunteer pharmacy coordinator along with the manager of the pharmacy department and explain your situation.

They might be able to accommodate your need, which is of course gaining critical hospital experience as a pharmacy technician. Given the uncertain economic times we are living in I am sure the hospitals would welcome the “free labor

-Good Luck

tamara.baca@gmail.com in Denver, Colorado

63 months ago

The truth is I'm making more money as a housekeeper while I apply to Pharmacy technician jobs. The lack of pharmacy tech jobs has pushed me in other directions, so in a way I am making money off the pharmacy tech market, just not the way I expected. Also my scrubs i purchased for the pharmacy have given back a little extra change as well. It'll work out eventually, I hope.

jayman in Houston, Texas

62 months ago

i just got certified here in houston like a week ago. I been hitting the street going to every pharmacy that is close to me. My suggestion to people is don't just settle for putting your application in online and not try to do a personal request for employment at the physical location. I only been 3 pharmacy so far and 2 of them said that were hiring. One of them i will interveiw for next week and the other one i turned down because it was full time. treat finding a job as a tech like well a job. every day wake up at a certain time and start your search online,in personal, hell write them a letter and deliver it to them with your resume. Do this for at least 4 hours a day and you will see results

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Copycat2 in New York

62 months ago

well maybe they do not want to hire you because they feel they will have to pay you more money. If you are going for retail then I believe that they would rather hire any 18y/o with no certificate and not have to pay them anything more than min. wage over someone who has a certificate in tech. I would not waste the money if you are looking at becoming a pharm. tech in retail pharmacy, it is not worth the money spent on it.

ggarcia in victorville, ca in Apple Valley, California

62 months ago

thanks for you comment, I believe that a lot of that is true, I'm not investing any more $ into this, PharmTech, I'm just gonna keep trying to appply @ different locations again and see what happens.

ggarcia in victorville, ca in Apple Valley, California

62 months ago

Thanks for your input, jayman in Texas, I'm thinking of doing it the way that you have mentioned. Something may come out of it that way, and thanks for your input as well.

62 months ago

Copycat2 you may be right as to your comment, but I am still gonna try when I get some time off from work, like maybe around Xmas time, but thanks for your comments.

62 months ago

Thanks jayman for your input, and you've given me another way of thinking about pursuing a PharmTech job. Just treat it as job hunting. Another job another day. I'm gonna pursue it with a different outlook.

Blondie in Phoenix, Arizona

61 months ago

So I'm about to join a trade school to become a pharmacist tech, and after reading everyone's comments on how hard it is to find a job in that area it doesn't feel like its going to be worth the money. The school I'm most likely going to be going through has a program where I can start paying back my fees after 6 months after I graduate. I really don't want to go into this field of work if I'm not guaranteed a job right after I do my 30 days intern. Any opinions to what I should do?

Candie in Tucson, Arizona

61 months ago

I totally don't believe you should go to those stupid trade schools. They suck the life out of you as far as financially. I went to school to be an Optician two years ago and I got the highest grades in my class and was on the Dean's list. I went and Paid $300 for ABO certification (which is top notch to have in Optical) and I STILL haven't found work and now paying $80 a mo for a school that's helped me as much as a car accident!

I believe that IF you're going to get Pharmacy training, go through and do the studying through a program like pharmacytrainer.com and schedule a PTCB exam in your area. At least you'll be certified and have the book knowledge without paying thousands of dollars. I think its $80 for the basic program through them (I had this program, its not bad.) You won't have actual hands on experience, but I think honestly you'll be in the same boat as everyone else anyway, trying to demonstrate your knowledge to pharmacists.

Don't end up like I did... paying $80 a month for a school that could give a c**p less if you get a job or not...

Diana in Norwalk, California

60 months ago

well I am about to start a pharmacy tech course this Febuary, and I hope to get hired on my externship since, I've herd that alot of people get hired that way. But know I feel kind of creeped out after hearing all these failure stories I just hope that I just have some luck finding a job since I do not have too much experience myself when I complete my course on August of this year... wish me luck because I really need it.

Diana in Norwalk, California

60 months ago

Blondie in Phoenix, Arizona said: So I'm about to join a trade school to become a pharmacist tech, and after reading everyone's comments on how hard it is to find a job in that area it doesn't feel like its going to be worth the money. The school I'm most likely going to be going through has a program where I can start paying back my fees after 6 months after I graduate. I really don't want to go into this field of work if I'm not guaranteed a job right after I do my 30 days intern. Any opinions to what I should do?

well I think that you should just give it a shot, besides you have nothing to loose, if it does not work well then we will have to try something else right? you might just have some luck

az2000 in Tempe, Arizona

60 months ago

Blondie in Phoenix, Arizona said: So I'm about to join a trade school ...

Blondie, I notice you're in Phx. The Phoenix Community College (downtown campus) has a PhT program for 12 weeks, $900 all materials included.[1] That might have more credibility than a trade school (since it's with an accredited community college.). Probably cheaper than trade schools too.

However, I'm leaning strongly toward those who say education is a waste of time. I posted a two-part note in another thread, page 6, near the bottom: www.indeed.com/forum/job/pharmacy-technician/Pharmacy-Tech-online-school/t31706/p6

In AZ, spending a lot of money on education doesn't make sense to me. It's non-credit, often from an unaccredited facility. If you've spoken to pharmacy managers at CVS, Walgreens, Fry's, etc. (and hospitals) who tell you that some kind of "certificate of completion" will sway their choice, then go for it. But, in my conversations it sounds like it makes little difference. To me, an easier way is to self-study paying $100 for books (or $100-$300 for online self-study programs) and take the certification. Then get a job as just ordinary retail help at any store with a pharmacy, using your certification as a bonus (and a way into the pharmacy when they have an opening).

It just doesn't sound like we have the regulatory environment in AZ where education would help. (Although, I'm sure an AA degree in any area of study would help, just like in any field. I'm not disparaging education generally.). The only thing I can see as a potential benefit is if the program has an externship. That would allow you to get your foot in the door and sell yourself. (That's an expensive gamble for $2000 to $10000 most schools are charging.).

[1] www.pc.maricopa.edu/pcdt/healthcare.html

Mary in Pasadena, Texas

60 months ago

Jennifer in Decatur, Georgia said: HOW MUCH DID THEY START YOU OFF AT WALGREENS AS A CERTIFIED TECH?

They pay $11.25/Hr

jc2000 in Chatsworth, California

60 months ago

Carry in Houston, Texas said: Been turned down for 4 years as a Certified Pharmacy Technician. Went to school got certified and registered. The problem, I have No experience. So how can I get a pharmacy technician job without no previous pharmacy technician experience, only school experience. I'd go into a pharmacy to speak to the head Pharmacist and it seems they look at you good first, then say no openings and will tell me to try elsewhere???? I even took a job readiness class so I know how to speak and dress somewhat professional, clean looking, natural hair color, close toe shoes, clean nails etc. even when walking in. Do they pick by appearance and choose whom they prefer to work there? Of course they will pick the one with more experience but how can I even start if I never get hired? I also heard that the staff won't have the time to train you if you are new so they won't bother hiring you???? Why won't they even give someone new to the field a try? How to get a Pharmacy technician job with no previous retail or hospital experience?

I worked as a Pharmacy Tech for over 10 years and the way I started was working as a Pharmacy clerk. Also, you may want to seek a mom and pop type pharmacy, they tend to be more accepting to new employees. Good luck!

toddq in Columbus, Ohio

60 months ago

References are far more important than actual experience when searching for a pharm tech job. What is the use of having 5 years of experience if you ended up getting fired and out casted with no references?
I myself and several of my friends have used each other as references claiming we are pharmacists.
You can just always lie and say you worked at a pharmacy chain that is now bankrupt or got bought out by another chain. (Big Bear or Revco, etc.) The HR departments at these companies are not active but if you put down your friends number and ask him or her to lie for you then they can just lie and say yes you did work there for 5 years and you were the best employee, etc. This technique has worked for me and 2 other friends getting jobs. I know lying is immoral but soo many people do it that it is like telling a white lie nowadays. Just make sure these are good friends and keep in touch so you know what you are saying about each other and to who. Just don't ask a random classmate to lie for you because chances are they will be jealous because they are competing for the same jobs you are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

az2000 in Tempe, Arizona

60 months ago

toddq in Columbus, Ohio said: I myself and several of my friends have used each other as references claiming we are pharmacists.

You can just always lie and say you worked at a pharmacy chain that is now bankrupt or got bought out by another chain. (Big Bear or Revco, etc.) ...

Be careful claiming to have worked for a company you didn't. Most background checks include an employment history and this information comes from databases maintained by companies like ChoicePoint. These databases don't merely contain a verification of what you claim. They're also used to verify that you didn't omit anything.

So, I don't think the info is generated based upon what you claim. If you claim something that doesn't appear in the database it could raise red flags. Your position would be that the database is wrong, and now that your employer is defunct, nobody could prove you wrong. But, that could be shaky ground.

Maybe for a retail position it's no big deal. But, I'd be careful with anything that implies higher standards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pharmtech in Fredericksburg, Virginia

60 months ago

I have been a tech for over a year and no "classic schooling" just on the job training and I am having problems finding a job. Even with my exprience, with which lets be honest, puts me ahead of anyone who just jumps into it,jobs are scarce. i really want to work at a hospital or perhaps somewhere like neighborcare or hospice. Anywhere that is not retail, and for future referance, not CVS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jujupower in Los Angeles, California

60 months ago

all this pharmacy tech stuff is new to me... so it's possible to get your license without having to do a 1 year pharm tech program at a college? cause i'd really love to study just on my own and not have to spend like a thousand dollars

Techgirl09 in Hixson, Tennessee said: I studied at home and took the exam and passed. It took me 8 months and then got hire on by Walgreens. I love my job and am so grateful I was given a chance with no exp. Try Walgreens!!

Max in Chicago, Illinois

59 months ago

I live in chicago as well and the best route in my area I think is going to a school of some sort that offers inter/externships. Thats what I'm doing now. Don't just jump on the first program you see, thats a dumb idea in any situation in life. Take the time to do research online and make calls. Because I am currently unemployed and receive unemployment checks, I qualified to get financial assistance and they pay for everything including books. You just gotta do research. In my opinion if you must pay out of pocket, do not pay for a school that's either not affiliated with a medical center or one that doesn't offer internships/externships, they seem like a waste and if thats all you can afford than just study yourself with books.(some states or jobs require you to finish a program though so again do research.) Places like walgreens or cvs hire people without any training and there's literally thousands of them in the Chicagoland area. If any of these options are not accessible to you then you may want to look into other types of training like nursing assistant or medical assistant.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.