How to get a Pharmacy technician job with no previous retail or hospital experience?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 325)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

shahid yusuf in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

learning from all ya experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ReginaM in Los Angeles, California

57 months ago

Jasbir Kaur in Fresno, California said: How to get a job as pharmacy technician at walgreens? I dont know anybody. I have finsihed with the online application but no luck. When i visit stores managers seems very cold. Nobody tells if there is any opening or not. According to my understanding i have done well in assessment test. But i am not able to see the results. Please help me get a job.

I was just told today,by a store manager in Baldwin Park that the stores in the LA area are constantly hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

beccat in Belfast, Tennessee

57 months ago

Techgirl09 in Hixson, Tennessee said: I studied at home and took the exam and passed. It took me 8 months and then got hire on by Walgreens. I love my job and am so grateful I was given a chance with no exp. Try Walgreens!!

Where did you take courses in order you to study in 8 months?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

mami in Chicago, Illinois said: I'am sick and tired myself about that f.... pharmacy technician job. i have a license an have been looking for a job for about 8 months, no replies. my license is about to expires in 4 months. I will not renew it. I'm thinking about going back to school for some else. wat u said is right. they looking at you nice but then they gonna say ''NO openings here'' try somewhere else. They can definatly k... my a... on that one. luckily i didnt bother to be certified that would have been a waste of money. I will get a regular job somewhere else and go to school for administration.

My suggestion is to keep your license current. To quote Bob Dylan "the times they are a changing" If a situation should suddenly arise that would allow you to use your license, you would kick yourself if you weren't prepared.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

michelle in Yucca Valley, California

57 months ago

AND now on top of all this; the fee for our license has increased...$100.00 now.
I too have had my license for 6 years and have yet to use it. SUCKS

Don in Lansing, Illinois

57 months ago

If a person with experience leave one pharmacy for another, it leaves a position for someone else with experience be it community college or military training. Are they playing musical chairs with each other? And whose to say some people are hired because they are a relative of a Pharmacy manager, Pharmacist or district manager; with know experience just trying to have a job during the recession. To me it's wrong and irresponsible because it's not in the heart of these people do stick around when the economy gets better. I guess everyone needs a sucker. Yes I am bitter because I trusted G-tl-ne when they said that This was an open field. It seem they were just telling me this just to get money. I wish I would have seen this site first before I signed up for the course. They used Walgreen as a front and it worked like a charm. Walgreen barely wanted to give me an Externship opportunity. That should have been the tip-off for me. I have all of the requirements for a chance but just like everyone else, it is very hard getting a chance to show that I am capable. There should be a law that stops online, colleges and anyone else from lying when it comes to messing over people just to get money. I guess that's the American way. To all the people trying to go to school to become a Pharmacy tech, my advice look at all the people on this site and realize that you are in a long line. Take a number.

Navel Headquarters in Houston, Texas

57 months ago

The best possible solution right now is that the PTCB should stop taking the pharmacy certification examination for atleast six months to one year in order the current pool of pharmacy technicians to settle down FIRST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

yecart_111 in Hampton, Virginia

57 months ago

jujupower in Los Angeles, California said: all this pharmacy tech stuff is new to me... so it's possible to get your license without having to do a 1 year pharm tech program at a college? cause i'd really love to study just on my own and not have to spend like a thousand dollars

After becoming employed with Wal-Mart, they wanted all techs Virginia , State Licensed within 6mo. of hire. They provided an in-house training course, and upon completion, I took the test and passed. For my PTCB, I did that on my own. I purchased a manual from the American Pharmacists Association regarding the national exam, studied the book from cover to cover and passed the test. My only cost was $69 for the book and the fees for the test!

CPhT in Pomona, California

57 months ago

Thanks for the Walmart lead. I went to a trade school and it was a great program. But I didn't get hired at my externship but I got a good reference. Now I am trying to get in at Kaiser and they have a pretest you have to pass. I have to relearn 200 Trade to Generic Drugs!! But I tried CVS, Costco, Target, and some Good Neighbor Pharmacies and no one is hiring! So hopefully Kaiser will let me in. Crosses fingers...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

ohwell in Plano, Texas said: Hello

To anyone interested, my company is looking for licensed pharmacy techs for a client services rep, you need at least 2 years experience and must be licensed pharmacy tech, health insurance processing preferred but I think experience as a licensed tech is more important. Its United Healthcare, I do not know the starting salary, but its a level 25 which is not entry level. The starting salary for each class depends on where u live. In dallas, tx level 25 starting at UHC is around 40,000 or more. I will warn you the benefits are not as good as they used to be buts its a job that's not retail. I believe the positions are for different states, there seems to always be new positions popping up. I don't have a pharmacy tech license and i dont think i would be interested in that area. Just trying to help.

I realize that you posted this some time ago,but is your company national? If so do they have entry level P Tech jobs for people in Los Angeles?

57 months ago

CPhT in Pomona, California said: Thanks for the Walmart lead. I went to a trade school and it was a great program. But I didn't get hired at my externship but I got a good reference. Now I am trying to get in at Kaiser and they have a pretest you have to pass. I have to relearn 200 Trade to Generic Drugs!! But I tried CVS, Costco, Target, and some Good Neighbor Pharmacies and no one is hiring! So hopefully Kaiser will let me in. Crosses fingers...

Thanks for the heads up re:Kaiser. I'v been applying online for jobs there as well. I had been told that you have to go through their PTech course. Can you give me more info?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

You are in my prayers! :)

CPhT~gtbMD in Stafford Springs, Connecticut

57 months ago

I have been a pharmacy technician for 5 years now. Nationally certified for the last 3. I started at the bottom and worked my way up at CVS. The training programs suck but with such a high turnover rate you get chances to learn and excell. Try retail and wait for the opportunity to find another job once you have experience. If your national you get paid more per hour than people off the street.

57 months ago

CPhT in Pomona, California said: Thanks for the Walmart lead. I went to a trade school and it was a great program. But I didn't get hired at my externship but I got a good reference. Now I am trying to get in at Kaiser and they have a pretest you have to pass. I have to relearn 200 Trade to Generic Drugs!! But I tried CVS, Costco, Target, and some Good Neighbor Pharmacies and no one is hiring! So hopefully Kaiser will let me in. Crosses fingers...

I took the typing test at Kaiser today and got the study guide. The receptionist didn't know what the breakdown on the test would be. Do you have any info?

jenita in Norfolk, Virginia

57 months ago

What book did you purchase

jenita in Norfolk, Virginia

57 months ago

yecart_111 in Hampton, Virginia said: After becoming employed with Wal-Mart, they wanted all techs Virginia , State Licensed within 6mo. of hire. They provided an in-house training course, and upon completion, I took the test and passed. For my PTCB, I did that on my own. I purchased a manual from the American Pharmacists Association regarding the national exam, studied the book from cover to cover and passed the test. My only cost was $69 for the book and the fees for the test!

What book did you purchase?

57 months ago

I bought the American Pharmacists Association's "Complete Review for the Pharmacy Technician (2nd Edition) by L. Michael Posey on the APhA website you do not have to join to purchase items...you ust have to create a user name and password. Keep in mind that I did this two yrs. ago, so the price may have increased. I hope this is helpful to you....Good Luck!

desperatetimesineedajob in Moreno Valley, California

56 months ago

SARAH in El Monte, California said: I'M HAVING THAT PROBLEM TOO. I'VE BEEN ASKING AROUND AND SOME PEOPLE SUGGEST THAT I VOLUNTEER AT A PHARMACY. I WOULDN'T MIND BUT I'M LIVING ON MY OWN AND I DON'T THINK I COULD AFFORD TO JUST VOLUNTEER MY TIME AS A PHARM TECH WITH NO PAY. WHERE WOULD I HAVE THE TIME TO GET A PART TIME JOB WHILE VOLUNTEERING? I AM SO PISSED OFF WITH THIS PHARM TECH S***, I DON'T THINK I'M GOING TO RENEW MY LICENSE! I'M IN SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA IF ANYBODY CAN HELP???

I studied on my own and received a pharm tech license through ptcb and i've been looking for a job ever since. i also just finished school with a bio degree. i've been volunteering at a hospital for over a year now at a pharmacy and it hasn't given me a job anywhere. it's tough nowadays especially with the economy. i've pretty much widened my range of job fields to get whatever i can. it sucks....a lot

56 months ago

Google Soliant Health it's a good placement agency to try. No I don't work for them.Their ads are all over the place. Company is based in TX but they do placement nationwide. Erica O'Donnell is a good contact. Her email is:erica.odonnell@solianthelath.com

56 months ago

ReginaM in Los Angeles, California said: Google Soliant Health it's a good placement agency to try. No I don't work for them.Their ads are all over the place. Company is based in TX but they do placement nationwide. Erica O'Donnell is a good contact. Her email is:erica.odonnell@solianthelath.com

Sorry about the spelling error: ericaodonnell@solianthealth.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Queenie in El Paso, Texas

56 months ago

I started school in Feb last year for Pharm Tech, finished classes in Oct, externship in Nov, graduated in Dec, took PTCB exam in Jan, received my certificate in Feb, started searching for a job immediately. During MY searching I have learned a few things I would like to share: 1)PTCB Cert is needed, 2) 2 years experience is hard to get, 3) State Cert is needed (after getting the PTCB), 4)Many Hospitals want IV Certified, and 5) MUST SPEAK SPANISH FLUENTLY (which is my biggest roadblock) 6) Many Pharmacies are taking the "free help" from schools so they do not have to pay for a CPhT that truly wants and needs the job. I have hit EVERY pharmacy in town and have had no offers for a position. Also, volunteering is bad because if you get hurt on the job the company is afraid you may sue them. I have also looked outside of where I live and still have not heard anything for a job position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kathleen in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

56 months ago

Hello I passed my pharmacy exam on March 30th 2010. Interviewed Friday 3rd 2010 and began working April 7th. The key to finding a job as a pharmacy technician is dilligance and persistance. Even before I was hired at the Walgreens I currently work I made sure to be persistant. As well, every day I would go on Craigslist, Monster and look for companies in need of pharmacy technician's. I also would goggle my zip code as well as pharmacy. I would call 10-15 pharmacies and ask for the pharmacy manager . The other thing to do is physically go in a pharmacy, well dressed with your resume and ask DIRECTLY for the pharmacy manager or if you are shy do this over the phone and ask if they are hiring.

THE LAST RESORT however DREADED and this requires GREAT PATIENCE is applying to work in the store outside of the pharmacy. This is a SURE SHOT way to get your foot in the door!

1. Go on Craigslist, Monster or just go to google and type in "pharmacy technician needed" as well as your zip code. (eg.Pharmacy Techician Needed 33181)

2. Google your zip code as well as pharmacy. Call each pharmacy that is show and ask for the manager. Kindly ask if they are in need of Pharmacy Technicians because you are recently certified Tech looking for a position.
(Pharmacy 33181)

3. Go to pharmacies in your area and ask for the pharmacy manager ( WHEN IT IS NOT BUSY OF COURSE) and ask if they are hiring pharmacy technicians. If they are not ASK and most likely they will tell you they are not hiring however Store B is. If the pharmacist manager gives you a store that is hiring when you go to this store say " Hi (insert Pharmacy manager name) told me this store was hiring for pharmacy technicians.

5. Lastly make sure you are well dressed, ( no open toe shoes, black and white attire preferred, no cleavage, no baggy pants, no visible tatoos, light make up, light jewerly)

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT ( I HONESTLY BELIEVE THIS IS WHY I ALWAYS GET HIRED!) DON'T FORGET TO SMIL!

Kathleen in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

56 months ago

Hello I passed my pharmacy exam on March 30th 2010. Interviewed April 3rd 2010 and began working April 7th 2. The key to finding a job as a pharmacy technician is dilligance and persistance. Even before I was hired at the Walgreens I currently work I made sure to be persistant. As well, every day I would go on Craigslist, Monster and look for companies in need of pharmacy technician's. I also would goggle my zip code as well as pharmacy. I would call 10-15 pharmacies and ask for the pharmacy manager . The other thing to do is physically go in a pharmacy, well dressed with your resume and ask DIRECTLY for the pharmacy manager or if you are shy do this over the phone and ask if they are hiring.

THE LAST RESORT however DREADED and this requires GREAT PATIENCE is applying to work in the store outside of the pharmacy. This is a SURE SHOT way to get your foot in the door!

1. Go on Craigslist, Monster or just go to google and type in "pharmacy technician needed" as well as your zip code. (eg.Pharmacy Techician Needed 33181)

2. Google your zip code as well as pharmacy. Call each pharmacy that is show and ask for the manager. Kindly ask if they are in need of Pharmacy Technicians because you are recently certified Tech looking for a position.
(Pharmacy 33181)

3. Go to pharmacies in your area and ask for the pharmacy manager ( WHEN IT IS NOT BUSY OF COURSE) and ask if they are hiring pharmacy technicians. If they are not ASK and most likely they will tell you they are not hiring however Store B is. If the pharmacist manager gives you a store that is hiring when you go to this store say " Hi (insert Pharmacy manager name) told me this store was hiring for pharmacy technicians.

5. Lastly make sure you are well dressed, ( no open toe shoes, black and white attire preferred, no cleavage, no baggy pants, no visible tatoos, light make up, light jewerly)

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT ( I HONESTLY BELIEVE THIS IS WHY I ALWAYS GET HIRED!) DON'T FORGET TO SMILE!

56 months ago

Kathleen in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Hello I passed my pharmacy exam on March 30th 2010. Interviewed April 3rd 2010 and began working April 7th 2. The key to finding a job as a pharmacy technician is dilligance and persistance. Even before I was hired at the Walgreens I currently work I made sure to be persistant. As well, every day I would go on Craigslist, Monster and look for companies in need of pharmacy technician's. I also would goggle my zip code as well as pharmacy. I would call 10-15 pharmacies and ask for the pharmacy manager . The other thing to do is physically go in a pharmacy, well dressed with your resume and ask DIRECTLY for the pharmacy manager or if you are shy do this over the phone and ask if they are hiring.

(Pharmacy 33181)

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT ( I HONESTLY BELIEVE THIS IS WHY I

56 months ago

Congratulations Kathleen. The process that you described is what it takes. Looking for a job IS a job. Persistence pays.

bmason in Hamilton, Ohio

56 months ago

Only an idiot would actually pay to get certified to become a pharmacy technician. YOU DON"T NEED TO BE CERTIFIED TO GET A PHARM TECH JOB!!! It is a total waste of money. Pharm techs don't make that much money, and there is no requirement of a certificate from a stupid bullsh- college to become one. I am a pre pharmacy student and also have a pharm tech job at CVS. I got hired with no experience, just applied, was interviewed, and hired. Also, I know some (some, not all, probably not most) people that hire pharm techs actually don't hire people who are certified because they are slightly over qualified, and expect better pay, but also they look down at people because they wasted money getting certified without doing much research on how much pharm techs get paid and if you need to be certified to get a job. It is pretty much a sign of stupidity to the employer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

bmason in Hamilton, Ohio said: Only an idiot would actually pay to get certified to become a pharmacy technician. YOU DON"T NEED TO BE CERTIFIED TO GET A PHARM TECH JOB!!! It is a total waste of money. Pharm techs don't make that much money, and there is no requirement of a certificate from a stupid bullsh- college to become one. I am a pre pharmacy student and also have a pharm tech job at CVS. I got hired with no experience, just applied, was interviewed, and hired. Also, I know some (some, not all, probably not most) people that hire pharm techs actually don't hire people who are certified because they are slightly over qualified, and expect better pay, but also they look down at people because they wasted money getting certified without doing much research on how much pharm techs get paid and if you need to be certified to get a job. It is pretty much a sign of stupidity to the employer.

If you look at requirements for pharm tech jobs, many are now requiring certification, either thru the State or National. Where I live, you must be PTCB which is national, and State certified as well as I.V. Certified for hospitals. If you got a job as a pharm tech with no certification, it could be due to the limited requirements in your state. Not ALL states require a state or national certification.
Are you studying to be a Pharmacist? That can be one exception in many states as to why you would not need to be certified. Also, there are a few places hiring those that are not certified because they need people immediately. You are 1) lucky to have a job, 2) not all certified pharm techs are demanding high pay because they are CPhT's. and 3)you are wasting your time if you think you are going to keep in the medical field (pharm tech/pharmacist) without certification. If your employer says you need to be certified are you going to get certified to keep the job? or are you going to quit and let a certified pharm tech have the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kathleen in Miami, Florida

56 months ago

bmason in Hamilton, Ohio said: Only an idiot would actually pay to get certified to become a pharmacy technician. YOU DON"T NEED TO BE CERTIFIED TO GET A PHARM TECH JOB!!! It is a total waste of money. Pharm techs don't make that much money, and there is no requirement of a certificate from a stupid bullsh- college to become one. I am a pre pharmacy student and also have a pharm tech job at CVS. I got hired with no experience, just applied, was interviewed, and hired. Also, I know some (some, not all, probably not most) people that hire pharm techs actually don't hire people who are certified because they are slightly over qualified, and expect better pay, but also they look down at people because they wasted money getting certified without doing much research on how much pharm techs get paid and if you need to be certified to get a job. It is pretty much a sign of stupidity to the employer.

If you actually researched the direction that the Pharm Tech career is headed towards you would clearly see that in a few years EVERY STATE will require a Pharm Tech to be certified. The overwhelming majority already do! This year on February 1st a law was passed in Florida ( and I’m sure other states will follow) that an employee of a pharmacy MUST be certified And as for employees looking for people who are NOT certified probably represents an isolated incident from the 2 people town you’re living in because that is not the case anywhere else EVER. I don't think I've ever heard as many oxymoronic statements in a post than with yours. Employers looking down on prospective employees for being certified!? Are you sure your a pre-pharmacy student because I'm a pre pharmacy student and one thing I’ve noticed among us pre pharmers (which you evidently seem to lack) is intelligence. Hey, if you took the PTCB and failed don't take your anger out on people who passed obviously were not idiots since we have a certification... and you....don't. Yeahhhhhh.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I would also like to add...becoming a Certified Pharmacy Technician does not require schooling. I studied for my Pharmacy Technician exam by myself for a few days and passed. Granted some people may need the guidance however I totally believe that going to school for 2 years is extremely excessive in my opinion even one year is to much. Some people may need schooling (everyone has there own capacity to learn differently some may require a teacher or professor) however some one can effectively study for the pharmacy technician certification by themselves in as little as a few days.

56 months ago

Hello bmason in Ohio, maybe in your state of Ohio, the laws are different for pharmacy technicians. However, the state of Virginia is a commonwealth, and it requires all techs to be state certified within 6 mo. of hire. Furthermore, I can assure you in this state, having the CPhT certification is a added bonus!

56 months ago

Kathleen in Miami, Florida said: If you actually researched the direction that the Pharm Tech career is headed towards you would clearly see that in a few years EVERY STATE will require a Pharm Tech to be certified. The overwhelming majority already do! This year on February 1st a law was passed in Florida ( and I’m sure other states will follow) that an employee of a pharmacy MUST be certified And as for employees looking for people who are NOT certified probably represents an isolated incident from the 2 people town you’re living in because that is not the case anywhere else EVER. I don't think I've ever heard as many oxymoronic statements in a post than with yours. Employers looking down on prospective employees for being certified!? Are you sure your a pre-pharmacy student because I'm a pre pharmacy student and one thing I’ve noticed among us pre pharmers (which you evidently seem to lack) is intelligence. Hey, if you took the PTCB and failed don't take your anger out on people who passed obviously were not idiots since we have a certification... and you....don't. Yeahhhhhh.....

I totally agree with you Kathleen, in Miami!

Unemployed Pharm Tech in Los Angeles, California

54 months ago

J in Burbank, California said: We are in a recession goin into a depression. There's always going to be a high demand in Pharm tech. but you gotta basically sell urself out there and have good educational background and experience. Just keeping trying you will eventually get a job. This is medical

Do you know of anyone who has gotten a job with no experience, just a license? I think not, I have been trying for 2 years in Los Angeles. What they want to weed out people is Spanish Speaking if you have no experience. What the hell? It is against the law to intern for free without a school behind you, the pharmacy could lose their license. So if you know of any pharmacy hiring with no experience, let me know!

54 months ago

ReginaM in Los Angeles, California said:

I am quite sure you speak Spanish in Los Angeles and are young. The problem is that non speaking other minorities are not getting hired so fast. And then there is age difference. I am an older adult who doesn't speak Spanish and was not told when I went to school we had to. I have tried every avenue and guess what? I have a B.S. Degree too! No job in Pharmacy! Is your pharmacy hiring non Spanish speaking minority older adults?

54 months ago

Kathleen in Miami, Florida said: I would also like to add...becoming a Certified Pharmacy Technician does not require schooling. I studied for my Pharmacy Technician exam by myself for a few days and passed. Granted some people may need the guidance however I totally believe that going to school for 2 years is extremely excessive in my opinion even one year is to much. Some people may need schooling (everyone has there own capacity to learn differently some may require a teacher or professor) however some one can effectively study for the pharmacy technician certification by themselves in as little as a few days.

You may be right, but not in California! You must be licensed or go back to school to get one if you are working on a job. Every state is different! California has to make laws to get money any kind of way it can. You can't even sell an orange here without a license!

54 months ago

Unemployed Pharm Tech in Los Angeles, California said: You may be right, but not in California! You must be licensed or go back to school to get one if you are working on a job. Every state is different! California has to make laws to get money any kind of way it can. You can't even sell an orange here without a license!

Hey Unemployed,

I feel your pain because I am from NJ recently moved to Miami and it was the first time I had experienced racism because I could not speak Spanish. Keep in mind I am young and every position I had applied for I was qualified for. ( excluding the pharmacy technician position since I had no experience.) It is very difficult to land a position here any where if you are not what I like to call Miami Bilingual. I am bilingual...I speak two different languages but I guess here in Miami Bilingual only means spanish and english which urks me so much because the defintion of bilingual is two different languagues not synanmous for english and spanish.

It has not been a walk in the park finding a position as a pharmacy technician either but I was extremely persistant. Relentless to be exact. My advice is to just cold call as many pharmacies as you can. Its difficult my friend but you can find a position just keep trying!

54 months ago

I have been Licensed as a CPhT. Bilingual is the main concern for a position, but the PT can not explain what the drug does so why must Spanish/English be a requirement for the job? I now go to interviews and when asked if I speak Spanish, I ask if that is a requirement. If they inform me that it is, I say thank you and leave the interview. No reason to waste my time or theirs if they are going to discriminate against me because of language. Age is also a problem as the possible "employer" wants young, good looking persons and not older, responsible, more mature people working.

54 months ago

Unemployed Pharm Tech in Los Angeles, California said: I am quite sure you speak Spanish in Los Angeles and are young. The problem is that non speaking other minorities are not getting hired so fast. And then there is age difference. I am an older adult who doesn't speak Spanish and was not told when I went to school we had to. I have tried every avenue and guess what? I have a B.S. Degree too! No job in Pharmacy! Is your pharmacy hiring non Spanish speaking minority older adults?

Does anybody else see that above this comment it says "ReginaM is Los Angeles,CA said" and then there is a blank space. I haven't made any comments about speaking Spanish. Is there somebody else using my handle.

54 months ago

ReginaM in Los Angeles, California said: Does anybody else see that above this comment it says "ReginaM is Los Angeles,CA said" and then there is a blank space. I haven't made any comments about speaking Spanish. Is there somebody else using my handle.

unemployed pharm tech was replying to your note and must have had to edit what you said so they could leave their comment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Thanks for the clarification Queenie.

54 months ago

tumbleweedgirl in Victorville, California said: I know how you field I have only been out of school a few months I have been thru several interviews and I find the same thing no expereience no job I even scored high in there skill testing for some of the pharmacy's but that is not even helping me. I think that going to school for Pharm tech was a waste of time if I can't find a job. My school is trying to help me get a job like 2 hours away were I can start in about a month but they don't understand that its far and I have a child beside that the a hours are really crazy. Beside that I own my home so its not like I'm renting and I can just pack my stuff and move. Also I would not be able to spend any time with my child.

As a former parent of adult children, never ever be 2 hours away for low pay that pharmacy techs who do not work in a hospital get. I would keep looking. It is a reality, your children are way more important than a job. While you wait, maybe you could start babysitting until you get a job within 20 minutes of your home.

54 months ago

jujupower in Los Angeles, California said: all this pharmacy tech stuff is new to me... so it's possible to get your license without having to do a 1 year pharm tech program at a college? cause i'd really love to study just on my own and not have to spend like a thousand dollars

Don't spend alot of money, go where I went to Westchester Emerson Adult School and spend about $500.00. In California, you must go to school. Go, if you are young, you should try to do your internship at the VA, where I sure should have gone, I would be working. I know Walgreens hired young people to work from the school, but CVS did not hire me as I guess I am older and not needed.

mewhomustnotbenamed in Modesto, California

54 months ago

bprlal13 in Houston, Texas said: Has anyone obtain a pharmacy tech job through volunteering,did it help you out in your resume (volunteer)get the job or was it worthless? thanks

Have you tried maybe getting some volunteer work at small pharmacies, like you county pharmacy maybe? or independently-owned ones?

Eva in Los Angeles, California

54 months ago

Unemployed Pharm Tech in Los Angeles, California said: Don't spend alot of money, go where I went to Westchester Emerson Adult School and spend about $500.00. In California, you must go to school. Go, if you are young, you should try to do your internship at the VA, where I sure should have gone, I would be working. I know Walgreens hired young people to work from the school, but CVS did not hire me as I guess I am older and not needed.

Do not go Westchester Emerson Adult School.The teacher and the program SACKS!!!!

54 months ago

Did you graduate from their program? Who was or is your teacher? My teacher was wonderful and pulled me along even though I was almost 20 years her senior. It was a good program and I finished with what I came to do for literally no money. I don't owe anyone a dime from going to school there. And the good part is that I didn't have to go all day, so if you wanted to work after class you could. I still have a license which is in good standing, but absolutely no debt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

zach in North Hollywood, California

54 months ago

Wow. These comments are very depressing.

I'm a biology major in college and I want to go to pharmacy school after I graduate. At the moment I REALLY need a job, so I have flirted with the idea of becoming a pharmacy tech.

I can't afford to put myself through a PT program so I have opted to study for the exam on my own this summer.

I'm worried about getting hired because I'm still in school so I can only work part time. Is there any hope of finding a part-time position for a young person without experience?

CPhT~gtbMD in Stafford Springs, Connecticut

54 months ago

if they say that there are no openings ask if any other locations are hiring. (they do post internally) or ask for the district managers phone number. They know about all the openings. I started at a CVS with no experience, moved up quickly from within after I got certified. I guess the rules are different in new england

nicholas in Chino Hills, California

54 months ago

Finished schooling 5 months ago, still looking for work as a pharmacy technician. License has not yet been processed through the state after it was submitted 6 months ago. Absolutely no openings in California, came to the conclusion California sucks. I had my externship (work experience with no pay) at a Walgreens for one month. Thought I was going to land the job, until a few days before I finished they did a hiring freeze and started cutting employee's hours and that is still the case to this day. Wasted a huge chunk of money at a college to do schooling. F*** your society, do not give into the lies they have instilled in your mind about a booming healthcare industry, a recovering economy, or a "chance to change your life." They just want your money, if anything that occupation is the one booming. Don't make the same mistakes some of us did, investigate for yourself, educate yourself, and stop living the way your culture wants you to. Blaspheme!

54 months ago

Good to hear from a pharmacist. Will definitely keep my license current. Things won't be this crappy forever. Customer service jobs have always kept bread on my table and there seems to be quite a few around.

John W in San Bernardino, California

54 months ago

I recently to a UEI to talk about the Pharmacy Tech training.They wanted 15,450 dollars.With grants covering 5 thousand,I would have take out a loan for ten thousand dollars.After reading this forum,I am thinking twice about going to UEI.

Tech in Riverside,CA in Los Angeles, California

54 months ago

John W in San Bernardino, California said: I recently to a UEI to talk about the Pharmacy Tech training.They wanted 15,450 dollars.With grants covering 5 thousand,I would have take out a loan for ten thousand dollars.After reading this forum,I am thinking twice about going to UEI.

Yea, I wish I had come across this page before I sunk money into a career that I have doubts on now! Good luck with what ever you decide on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.