How to get a Pharmacy technician job with no previous retail or hospital experience?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 318)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

John W in San Bernardino, California

46 months ago

I recently to a UEI to talk about the Pharmacy Tech training.They wanted 15,450 dollars.With grants covering 5 thousand,I would have take out a loan for ten thousand dollars.After reading this forum,I am thinking twice about going to UEI.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tech in Riverside,CA in Los Angeles, California

46 months ago

John W in San Bernardino, California said: I recently to a UEI to talk about the Pharmacy Tech training.They wanted 15,450 dollars.With grants covering 5 thousand,I would have take out a loan for ten thousand dollars.After reading this forum,I am thinking twice about going to UEI.

Yea, I wish I had come across this page before I sunk money into a career that I have doubts on now! Good luck with what ever you decide on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tim in Houston, Texas

46 months ago

if you absolutely HAVE to spend money for pharm tech school community colleges can do it for $1000 tops. But for gods sake don't dump that sort of money for pharm tech, education doesnt really matter, as its all based on experience and hard work and the pay sucks. For reference, for wayyyyyyyy less than 10k you can go for Radiography at the local CC and get paid wayyyyyyyy more

John W in San Bernardino, California

46 months ago

To pay of a 10,000 loan you would have to pay 115 dollars a month for 10 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

brown_dude_CPhT in Boston, Massachusetts

46 months ago

Tim, I have to agree with your post as a certified pharmacy technician in the state of Massachusetts I wouldn’t recommend this occupation to anyone. If you want to enter the healthcare field, I would suggest going to a community college and signing up for a life sciences curriculum or enter a 2 year program that will train you to become a medical lab technician, radiology technician or some other healthcare career that will offer you real transferable/marketable skills.

Trust me don’t sign a $10,000 loan at a for profit pharmacy technician school, because you will end up in serious debt and obtaining a job in this field will be very difficult, due to the fact the market is glutted with unemployed pharmacy technician’s, looking for an employment opportunity. If you can’t find a job with that $10,000 loan over your head it will seriously destroy your credit so for profit schools that do this to potential students need to stop this madness.

One of the biggest complains I have seen is students who signed up for a $10,000 loan only to be very disappointed when they could not obtain employment in the field or it took them a long time to find employment, by then their credit was a mess and they were in serious debt working in a retail environment, that pays lousy wages and tortures you with high stress.

You do not want to spend all that money to end up working in retail pharmacy, because for most pharmacy technicians, 70 – 75% of pharmacy technicians fresh out of a pharmacy technician school with no experience end up working for CVS/Pharmacy, Walgr

me

46 months ago

Carry in Houston, Texas said: Been turned down for 4 years as a Certified Pharmacy Technician. Went to school got certified and registered. The problem, I have No experience. So how can I get a pharmacy technician job without no previous pharmacy technician experience, only school experience. I'd go into a pharmacy to speak to the head Pharmacist and it seems they look at you good first, then say no openings and will tell me to try elsewhere???? I even took a job readiness class so I know how to speak and dress somewhat professional, clean looking, natural hair color, close toe shoes, clean nails etc. even when walking in. Do they pick by appearance and choose whom they prefer to work there? Of course they will pick the one with more experience but how can I even start if I never get hired? I also heard that the staff won't have the time to train you if you are new so they won't bother hiring you???? Why won't they even give someone new to the field a try? How to get a Pharmacy technician job with no previous retail or hospital experience?

Volunteer some hours and get your experience they may even hire you on if you show how good you are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

yecart_111 in Hampton, Virginia

46 months ago

I agree that the pharmacy retail chains treat their employees horribly! I was a VICTIM at Walgreen's. The pharmacy manager played favorites (he had the techs that were his PETS) and he made the rest of us feel inferior. I was weeded out of the company....he and the store manager looked for a way to get me wrongfully terminated....and I now have been unemployed for 11 months!

unknown in Boston, Massachusetts

45 months ago

brown_dude did you start at a retail store first? i am going to graduate soon from a pharmacy technician program. i want to work in a hospital. any suggestion where to apply for a pharmacy tech job?

nicholas in Chino Hills, California

45 months ago

inpatient and outpatient pharmacy jobs, or even mail order

45 months ago

they all ask for 2 yr experience. i don't have 2 yr experience in hospital.

nicholas in Chino Hills, California

45 months ago

Yup thats the difficult right now. Even finding openings is difficult but they all want 1 or 2 years experience, and where are you supposed to get that? Volunteer for a year? No thanks.

45 months ago

i cant volunteer. i wont be able to pay my bills. i will have to live on the street.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Pharm Tech in Los Angeles, California

45 months ago

Maybe you are responding to the wrong person. I certainly don't beleive in volunteering and if I am correct, in the state of California, it is illegal. I am not working for free, who does that?

brown_dude_CPhT in Arlington, Massachusetts

45 months ago

unknown in Boston, Massachusetts said: brown_dude did you start at a retail store first? i am going to graduate soon from a pharmacy technician program. i want to work in a hospital. any suggestion where to apply for a pharmacy tech job?

Yes, I started off in retail, namely CVS/Pharmacy during the times (2005 – 2008) when there were available jobs as retail pharmacy technicians. There was a sign on the outside of the door which stated they were looking to hire pharmacy technicians, so I spoke with the pharmacy manager and inquired further about the position.

Eventually, I was hired after speaking with the pharmacy manager face to face, filling out an application online, and waiting a while until they had an open spot and I explained my situation regarding graduating from a pharmacy technician program and that I was seeking to gain some experience as a pharmacy technician.

My best advice is to call all the retail pharmacies in your area and the pharmacies outside of your immediate area, ask to speak to the pharmacy manager and inquire if they are looking for pharmacy technicians. They will ask if you have experience but let them know you are fresh out of a pharmacy technician training program and would like to gain some experience.

45 months ago

unknown in Boston, Massachusetts said: brown_dude did you start at a retail store first? i am going to graduate soon from a pharmacy technician program. i want to work in a hospital. any suggestion where to apply for a pharmacy tech job?

Even if they offer only 1 or 2 days a week, 6 -8 hours, it is a start and you can gain the valuable experience you need. When it comes to applying for a job as a pharmacy technician you really have to sell yourself. Prepare a resume, dress neatly; present your credentials (the certificate of pharmacy technician program completion).

Eventually, you will take the national certification examination, but you must study for the national examination like you would study for the SAT’s. You need a book for this; I used Delmar's Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review by Patrica K. Anthony click link below for a preview of the book. books.google.com/books?id=fhd2Q8ANlZAC&pg=PR1&dq=patricia+k+anthony+delmars&hl=en&ei=KLA7TLr8LMOAlAeYkZyABg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Buy this book and study it 3 – 4 months, at least one chapter a night
Do not take the national ptcb exam without studying from this book and only take the national examination when you feel confident and ready for the test, or else you will just be wasting your time and money.

45 months ago

Most pharmacy technicians, about 70 – 75%, start out in the retail sector as pharmacy technicians until they gain 1 -2 years of experience then become certified by passing the national PTCB exam www.ptcb.org , once you become certified volunteer part-time at a hospital to get hospital experience, eventually if the pharmacy manager likes you he or she may decide to hire you at the hospital.

I became certified and licensed as a pharmacy technician in the state of Massachusetts in 2008. However, I did graduate from a pharmacy technician training program in 2005.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

me

45 months ago

Back when I became a pharmacy technician they did not have a program but all the hospitals required experience before you could work as a pharmacy technician. I did not no anyone and did not have experience so I talked to the Pharmacy Director (small hospital)and volunteered maybe 8 to 16 hours per week. They later liked my work and then hired me on as a hospital pharmacy technician then I got my pharmacy intern hours while going to school as a pharmacist. If you are desperate enough you can work a regular job and on weekends maybe volunteer 8-16 hours. After two years of part time you won't be lying when they ask you you will have been working there for two years. Make a way out of noway. I would suggest working a minimum of 8 hours a week and if I might add do not get involved into office politics while volunteering remain neutral to all personalities you come around.

You graduated from a pharmacy program so this means you have done some internship. I think you sound like you want to work in hospitals like I do but don't give up. Even if they hire you in retail do that 8 hours on the weekend in the hospital so you can get your foot in the door for hospital work. Try going to smaller hospitals and government hospitals (Veterans)there is a volunteer department but I would speak to the Director of pharmacy, Assistant director of pharmacy, or the inpatient supervisor.

Congratulations on your accomplishments you will meet your goal
you just have to plot and plan your way.I guess it maybe best to just volunteer 8-12 hours I think thats all I did. State 8 hours so if you work more you look good to the supervisors when you volunteer for the extra 4 hours. In hospitals when you volunteer they used to pay for your lunch and at holidays I think they gave me something. We love our volunteers. Even if you get with some that are not a prize remember your goal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

im thinking try to get a job at a retail store first. volunteer on the weekends or something. thanks for all your suggestions.

Me

45 months ago

Your welcome. Good luck

45 months ago

We are in the state of California. As I understand, we cannot volunteer hours unless we are doing our internship. I already finished and graduated from that 2 long years ago. I have a Bachelors of Science Degree and still can't find work. Who in this economy can afford even if we could volunteer to work for free? It seems you must have a real job to work for free! Gas and buses cost money and in California, rent is at least 75% of your income, if not more. I would suggest to take a job where you can and keep applying for pharmacy jobs in California. Our state is in the worst economic condition possible. Some money is better than no money!

John in San Bernardino, California

45 months ago

There are about 4 for profit colleges within 10 miles from my house.They must be graduating about 150 pharmacy techs every 7 or 8 months.

me in Silsbee, Texas

45 months ago

I am a pharmacist and when I volunteered as a pharmacy technician for 8 hours a week I was going to pharmacy college and lived at home so that was not a problem because my parents were supportive of me. Everyone situation is different.
So your utter surprise is misplaced. My family is not rich by any standard but may mother's side of the family encouraged education and were very supportive. I lived at home and went to college anyway so that saved my mother and I a lot of money.My advise was to someone who can do it obviously you can't and honestly you have to find what works for you. Just curious what is your Bachelor of Science in? Is a B.S. degree required in California. The rules there are odd ball anyway. Do they pay well for a B.S. degree? My suggestion still stands for other states where someone can do it.

ccvm_CPhT in Sacramento, California

45 months ago

yecart_111 in Hampton, Virginia said: I agree that the pharmacy retail chains treat their employees horribly! I was a VICTIM at Walgreen's. The pharmacy manager played favorites (he had the techs that were his PETS) and he made the rest of us feel inferior. I was weeded out of the company....he and the store manager looked for a way to get me wrongfully terminated....and I now have been unemployed for 11 months!

holy crap. after reading all of these posts, im still depressed but at least i am not alone. i graduated from high tech institute in 2005. with honors noexp. my externship did not hire me nor did my school help me find a job. after about 6month trying to find a job through my school they said that the new grads were of higher priority and they need to help them first. man did i feel bad for them...i worked for walgreens as a service clerk for a year and a half before they would even consider putting me in the pharmacy even with my ca liscence and ptcb certification....soon as i was put on it was nothing but bull and they put me in a store i was not happy in. i agree with you when u say retail chains treat their employees HORRIBLY. i went through the same thing as you i was weeded out of the company after the store manager wrote me up six times in a 7 month period for being a couple minutes late clocking in, gimme a break i commuted 17 miles to work one way durng rushhour traffic on the busiest part of sacramento, for calling in to greive 2 family deaths at the time,and having car troubles. iw as finally fired by a new store mngr who i workd for b4 because my car would not make it to work for it was still in the shop and i could not find a ride till about 5 when i started at 1. and after two years w/this company and the best work experience iva had(considering i started at 18) i cant use my tech experience with out lying on my resume. walgreens fkd my life up. i workd for carls jr and now at a call center parttime sincethis happnd3yrag

yecart_111 in Hampton, Virginia

45 months ago

I am so sorry for all of your former troubles...ccvm_CPht in Sacramento....I hope your situation has improved for the better POST Walgreens!!!! As for me, I'm STILL looking for work here in Hampton, VA. CPhT jobs are very SCARCE in this region and when one becomes available, you are competing with thousands of other applicants. I'm even having trouble finding a grocery clerk job...with my 16+ years of cash register experience!!!

she she

45 months ago

I recently got hired at walmart as a pharmacy tech here in NJ and let me tell you my experience and maybe it will help. I moved from hampton va to nj recently and I have looking for a pharmacy job in va nj and ny! It has took over a year to get hired. But I just graduated from a pharm tech program in may. That was the biggest waste of 1000!!! I would NEVER recommend going to school for more than 12 weeks for pharm tech or spending that much money of the course if you choose to that it. I often wonder what the heck the 2 year pharmacy tech programs teach when you can learn this stuff by yourself in less then a month! I learned nothing at my course and just bought books and have taught myself. I would recommend applying at walmart because you can apply to like 25 stores at once. I didn't have any luck at cvs or walgreens. But I applied and called EVERY pharmacy I saw. And I would always speak to the pharmacy manager. And a few said they were hiring but no one ever hired me because I have no experience. Have all that work time and money I just gave up because I became so discouraged. And about a week after I gave up a got an unexpected call from the one walmart I never called! I think one of the main reason he hired me was because I have a lot of customer service experience and he is big on customer service. Ccvm in hampton defiantly apply at the walmarts in the 7 cities and call and speak with the pharmacy managers. Granted the starting pay is ridiculously low but it will help you get the experience you need to get into a hospital like riverside or sentra. I plan on learning as much as a can and once I get the hang of it probably in about 2 or 3 months I will apply to the hospitals and just lie abt how long I've worked there. Trust me most people have to lie to get these jobs because of the ridiculous requirements. As long as you know how to do the job you can back up your lie.

Cphtg2bmd in Stafford Springs, Connecticut

45 months ago

The odds of getting into a hospital setting are slim. Someone needs to retire or leave before there are any openings. I applied at a hospital got an interview but sadly didnt get the job. I am however employed as a nationally certified pharmacy tech. Its a waste of time and money to keep it all up. You get treated like crap and are expected to do things you shouldnt be doing.

ElDorado in Sacramento, California

45 months ago

I live in Northern California, and among the many pharmacies that I called, Wal Greens told me that they were on a hiring freeze. Great...

Gabriel G CPhT in Chino Hills, California

45 months ago

I just graduated from a community college program in May, got my state license and PTCB certification a couple weeks ago and am about to go job hunting. Both places that I interned at were not hiring. One was a CVS and they had a hiring freeze which may be still on. The other was a small hospital. I see a lot of openings here in the indeed listings for my area so at least we know companies are at least looking for techs right?

Has anyone here looked into nuclear pharmacy or know if that field is any easier to get hired in?

CPhTGirl in Pomona, California

45 months ago

Gabriel G CPhT in Chino Hills, California said: I just graduated from a community college program in May, got my state license and PTCB certification a couple weeks ago and am about to go job hunting. Both places that I interned at were not hiring . One was a CVS and they had a hiring freeze which may be still on. The other was a small hospital . I see a lot of openings here in the indeed listings for my area so at least we know companies are at least looking for techs right?

Has anyone here looked into nuclear pharmacy or know if that field is any easier to get hired in?

Hi Gabriel,
I have been looking since Feb 2010 and I haven't found anything. I did find out that LA County is letting people take a test to be certified for LA County's public clinics and hospitals. I am not sure how you get into the test. I have had no luck in retail or hospitals but I get some leads with temp agencies. But nothing yet!
One lead I didn't follow up on is Kaiser. They are in Fontana and you can go in there and take a prelim test. Then you have to come back and pass a Kaiser pharm tech test and they give you a study guide. I heard one of my classmates got in with Kaiser so that might work for you.

GOOD LUCK!!!

CPhTGirl in Pomona, California

45 months ago

After reading the posts above I decided to add more than my two cents. I graduated from UEI and I loved the course. We did a lot of lab work and we got done quickly. Since I graduated in Feb it's gotten worse in the healthcare field. I am now back in school to earn a BS in Health Sciences. I don't have to pay my UEI loan that way. Costco has a hiring freeze too from what I have heard. And Walmart will hire right out of school. I know we can't volunteer in the pharmacy dept but we could volunteer in general and then keep applying at hospitals. Kelly Services can help with some pharmacy lab positions but they aren't pharm tech jobs. Then again I haven't gotten one even though I'm qualified like everyone else!
So far I gave up and went back to retail and food jobs. Making less but I'm making some money! Best thing to do but it's hard because I'm working, going to school, and kind of sort of looking for someone I know to say I know of a pharm tech opening!

Chrystal in Durant, Oklahoma

45 months ago

I am sorry that this comment will be negative and spirit-dampening, but it is honest. I have been a pharmacy tech for about a year and a half, and it is, in my opinion, the WORST job EVER. On the planet. If at all possible, stay far, far away from any and every pharmacy. They are horrible, white-washed, stressed-yet-dull environments. I feel a piece of myself die every time I walk in the door.

*sigh* Ok, sorry for the rant - hard week at the pharmacy.

Now for hopefully some more useful advice. STAY AWAY from CVS!! Worst company to work for! Of course, if they are the only place hiring in your area, go for it! Besides my own experience working at a CVS and then NOT working at a CVS and the refreshing difference, I know several people who have made it through pharmacy school within the last couple of years and they all say that CVS was the worst place during their rotations, and they would only work for them if there was nothing else open. I can't really explain it, but they just have so many dumb 'formalities' and corporate things they make you do when you are already stressed for time as it is with the amount of patients there are. They are lovely thoughts, but if the corporate people actually spent some time working in one of their pharmacies, I think they would see that their many random policies are the opposite of helpful - to the techs or the patients. So if you have a choice, I am sorry to say, but stay away from CVS. I loved the people I worked with there, but hated the company.

And I am sorry this was a negative post. Usually I am not this negative. It is just a result of the fact that I spent most of my college career thinking I wanted to be a pharmacist, but did not actually work in one until my last year when I found out that it was the exact opposite of what I wanted to do. So now I have a degree in something I no longer care for and have to re-figure my entire life. So I am slightly bitter. Lol.

Chrystal in Durant, Oklahoma

45 months ago

I also wanted to add that some of the people I work with really love their job, so it is possible if you really feel like you were made for it! I just am not. ;) Good luck to everyone! :)

Amy in Los Angeles, California

44 months ago

I'm in the same boat, some pharmacies tell me they prefer to hire those who actually went to a school to get certified rather than the PTCB.

Queenie in El Paso, Texas

44 months ago

I have my PTCB and State license, and recently found that many Pharmacies prefer both. Soon it will be that a Pharm Tech MUST have the PTCB license just to get the State license and that will be for EVERY State. In the meantime, I am still searching for employment.

Bassil in Alexandria, Virginia

44 months ago

Hi: Sir or Madam
I am very intersted in being a Pharmacy Tehcnician and I want to know how to get into a program. I do have trouble with the math a Symbols and I do need help with the math and symbols. I do like to know how can get into a class can you help me with this.

CPhT Girl in Pomona, California

44 months ago

You don't need to come to this forum to find a program. I would take the course from a community college and brush up on your English while you are there. Then again I don't know what you need to do in Virginia. As for the PTCB certification you can find out about that by googling it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

I have been searching for a position as a Pharm Tech since Jan, and I have found positions all over. I have put in my applications and gotten calls for interviews. When the person doing the interview finds out that I am in another city and not Spanish speaking, they turn me down. I am willing to relocate and I inform them of that in the interview but still get turned down for the position. I have also learned that there are hiring freezes all across the United States at hospitals and in retail. I know many Pharm Techs that have been fired or layed off because of Medicare cutbacks. Hopefully those that are looking will not give up, this situation will change and hopefully it will be soon.

Wondering CPhT in Joplin, Missouri

44 months ago

The last 3 positions I've applied for have all stated that I was turned down for someone with more experience. I have been looking since February, 2010, already certified and licensed in my state. I did well above average on my PTCB cert and top of class in a local college pursuing an AS degree (not cheap either). Already heavily invested in a career I have yet to get one job offer, not even retail! The last one for a local retail pharmacy was looking for someone with 5 years experience!! Where do you find a pool of PTs with 5 years experience if new techs can't even get job one? Where do the future Pharmacists come from if nobody can get experience or jobs to earn money to pay for further education? I've heard externships are available in some places, but I haven't found any pharmacy, retail or hospital, in my area that will even entertain the idea of training a new tech in any capacity. I even offered to work for a lowered wage and wash the windows!! I don't know, I'm beginning to get the feeling I've made a horrible, and costly, mistake.

kika123 in Tampa, Florida

44 months ago

SORRY BUT THIS PROFESION IS BEING MANIPULATED BY CAREER INSTITUDES, ONLINE COLLEGES AND PRIVATE SCHOOLS, THEY OFFER THE PHARMACY TECH PROGRAM THEN CHARGE STUDENTS 12K OR MORE AND THEY ARE PUTTING OUT 1000'S OF STUDENT A YEAR IN MANNY STATES. IT IS NOT LIKE THAT OTHER HEALTH CARE PROGRAMS LIKE RAD-TECHS, SURG-TECH, SONOGRAPHY ETC. WE JUST HAVE TO START COMPLAINING TO OUR LOCAL LAW MAKERS, THE AMERICAN ASSOSIATION OF PHARMACY TECHS ETC.. TO REGULATE THE AMOUNT OF TECHS GRADUATING EVERY DAY...EVENTUALLY THE REGUATION WILL BALANCE THINGS OUT, SO THAT WHEN PEOPLE LOOK FOR JOBS THEY WILL GET INTERVIEWS AND CAN DISCUSS WAGES ETC...AT THIS POINT PEOPLE JUST WANT TO GET A JOB EVEN IF IT IS AS A CUSTOMER SERVICE CLECK AT WALGREENS MAKING $8/HOUR JUST TO GET IN...ONCE YOUR ARE IN YOU WILL ONLY GET $0.50 YEARLY RISES IF SO...THIS IS WHY OUR PAY WILL ALLWAY BE LOWER THAN THOSE OTHER HEALTH CARE TECHS...UNLESS PHARMACY TECH SCHOOL BECOMES MORE REGULATED BASED ON THE COMMUNITY AND THE AMOUNT OF JOBS IN THE AREAS...LITTLE PRIVATE CAREER INSTITUTES WILL EVENTUALLY TAKE A HIT, ONCE THIS PROFESION BECOMES MORE REGULATED...IT IS NOT FAIR TO TAKE 12K PER STUDENT OVER 30 STUDENTS PER CLASS, TO THEN HAVE 30 UNEMPLOYED STUDENTS HAVING TO PAY BACK 12K OR MAKING $8/HOUR MAKING SCHOOL LOAN PAYMENTS OF OVER $200'S IT IS JUST WRONG NOT FAIR...WE SHOULD SPEAK UP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

christinabq in Rancho Cucamonga, California

44 months ago

I graduated in 2007 it was definately a waste of time I have all the qualifications but I don't speak spainsh so I they won't hire me in a lot of places.What's this country coming to when we can't speak english anymore!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Same here, it is a shame that you waste almost a year and money when the school could have just told you the truth! Unless you speak Spanish you cannot get hired, so don't come here and waste your time and money!

#1CPhT&PreMed in Las Vegas, Nevada

44 months ago

For the most part, and this goes to a majority of the posts, you are all way to negative and whiny to work in a pharmacy anyway! There is no room for crying in pharmacy, there are jobs out there everyday, everywhere in the pharmacy field that will hire you with no experience. Perhaps the problem is simply your outlook? How about you try to stop feeling sorry for yourself, and keep looking. If this is any representation of how most of you speak to your "potential" employers it is no wonder so many of you are unemployed! I went to one of these schools that most of you are stating is a waste of time? HA! I graduated top of my class, won a scholarship that covered half my loan, went to externship was hired there and worked there for several years. I have been a pharmacy manger in 4 different settings of pharmacy and I am about to start on my Pharm D. IF you do not have a passion for the field then PLEASE get the H**L out of the field. It is techs like you that cause errors and makes us Pharmacy Mangers and Pharmacists very nervous! A majority of you on here posting, short answer? YOUR ATTITUDE SUCKS!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Wondering CPhT in Joplin, Missouri

44 months ago

#1CPhT&PreMed in Las Vegas, Nevada said: For the most part, and this goes to a majority of the posts, you are all way to negative and whiny to work in a pharmacy anyway! There is no room for crying in pharmacy, there are jobs out there everyday, everywhere in the pharmacy field that will hire you with no experience. Perhaps the problem is simply your outlook? How about you try to stop feeling sorry for yourself, and keep looking. If this is any representation of how most of you speak to your "potential" employers it is no wonder so many of you are unemployed! I went to one of these schools that most of you are stating is a waste of time? HA! I graduated top of my class, won a scholarship that covered half my loan, went to externship was hired there and worked there for several years. I have been a pharmacy manger in 4 different settings of pharmacy and I am about to start on my Pharm D. IF you do not have a passion for the field then PLEASE get the H**L out of the field. It is techs like you that cause errors and makes us Pharmacy Mangers and Pharmacists very nervous! A majority of you on here posting, short answer? YOUR ATTITUDE SUCKS!!!!

Yet another example of a TOOL "manager" that cannot even spell. Do you even know the difference between "to" and "too"? I doubt it. And new pools of talent that have yet to be given a chance to prove their worth in the industry rely on garbage such as yourself in positions of decision making. How much happier would anyone be if they were earning a living in their chosen field? Probably a lot. What you hear now, GENIUS, is the frustration of being locked out of a market that many of us have spent great deals of money for and made innumerable sacrifices for only to find there are no jobs, or being sabatoged by bunghole hiring managers. I also will graduate at the top of my class, will also be able to pay off most of my loans with my scholarship and look forward to continuing my pharma interests. So, UP YOURS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Yucaipa, California

44 months ago

#1CPhT&PreMed in Las Vegas, Nevada said: For the most part, and this goes to a majority of the posts, you are all way to negative and whiny to work in a pharmacy anyway! There is no room for crying in pharmacy, there are jobs out there everyday, everywhere in the pharmacy field that will hire you with no experience. Perhaps the problem is simply your outlook? How about you try to stop feeling sorry for yourself, and keep looking. If this is any representation of how most of you speak to your "potential" employers it is no wonder so many of you are unemployed! I went to one of these schools that most of you are stating is a waste of time? HA! I graduated top of my class, won a scholarship that covered half my loan, went to externship was hired there and worked there for several years. I have been a pharmacy manger in 4 different settings of pharmacy and I am about to start on my Pharm D. IF you do not have a passion for the field then PLEASE get the H**L out of the field. It is techs like you that cause errors and makes us Pharmacy Mangers and Pharmacists very nervous! A majority of you on here posting, short answer? YOUR ATTITUDE SUCKS!!!!

NO YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CPht Girl in Pomona, California

44 months ago

Hey Vegas,
Four years ago my cat could of gotten a job as a pharm tech. I got a 4.0, PTCB, great review as an extern and I only speak English. Guess what? Didn't get hired. We ALL have a reason to get depressed about not getting a job after working so hard in school. Does that we give up? So what if we do? I gave up looking for a job and now I'm getting calls back for graveyard shifts. Am I going to take them? Yes. But seriously Mr Vegas, how many people have gotten hired at your place in the last few months? And where are supposed to look if everyone is on a hiring freeze and the economy sucks?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

CPht Girl in Pomona, California

44 months ago

Hey Vegas,
Four years ago my cat could of gotten a job as a pharm tech. I got a 4.0, PTCB, great review as an extern and I only speak English. Guess what? Didn't get hired. We ALL have a reason to get depressed about not getting a job after working so hard in school. Does that we give up? So what if we do? I gave up looking for a job and now I'm getting calls back for graveyard shifts. Am I going to take them? Yes. But seriously Mr Vegas, how many people have gotten hired at your place in the last few months? And where are supposed to look if everyone is on a hiring freeze and the economy sucks?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Hey Vegas,
From what you are saying, it sounds to me like you want the same job we are after and your comments are a way of chasing away very qualified CPhT's, (that have NO experience), just to better your chance at the position. With hiring freezes and layoffs in this field, yes, we are depressed at trying so hard to better our future in a field we have studied so hard to get into. We have a right to be depressed while still looking and hoping for a future promised to us through education. Grow up and smell the coffee. We have more rules against us as it is.

mstoofish in Cleveland, Ohio

43 months ago

Carry in Houston, Texas said: Been turned down for 4 years as a Certified Pharmacy Technician. Went to school got certified and registered. The problem, I have No experience. So how can I get a pharmacy technician job without no previous pharmacy technician experience, only school experience. I'd go into a pharmacy to speak to the head Pharmacist and it seems they look at you good first, then say no openings and will tell me to try elsewhere???? I even took a job readiness class so I know how to speak and dress somewhat professional, clean looking, natural hair color, close toe shoes, clean nails etc. even when walking in. Do they pick by appearance and choose whom they prefer to work there? Of course they will pick the one with more experience but how can I even start if I never get hired? I also heard that the staff won't have the time to train you if you are new so they won't bother hiring you???? Why won't they even give someone new to the field a try? How to get a Pharmacy technician job with no previous retail or hospital experience?
You have had your license for 4yrs have you tried volunteering at a hospital? Have you tried going through a temp agency? Have you tried mail order pharmacy?

43 months ago

misty in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: i graduated 2 years ago.. and became certified, then when it came time to renew those credits, i was not told by my instructor that i had to upload the credits to the pharm. board, my cert. ran out and i have to pay another 80 dollars to get recertified, and ALL OF THE HOSPITALS WANT AT LEAST 2 YEARS EXPERIANCE!!! So what can i do to get into the hospital?? Another externship?? I'm tring to get paid i still owe 10,000 dollars for student loans, and pima medical institute has NEVER helped with job placement assist, thankx for nuthin!! misty
Try to volunteer at a hospital pharmacy try to go through a temp agency you can also try mail order pharmacy to get some experience.

43 months ago

demoralized CPhT in Orlando, Florida said: I was excited at the thought of this career change myself and I get the same thing. How to get the experience in the first place is beyond me. I do not feel happy at your struggle, but I feel reassured that the problem may not be all with me.
Have you tried volunteering? Have you tried mail order? Have you tried temp agency just to get your foot in the door?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.