Any good paying jobs left for veterans?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

a.xd in Colorado Springs, Colorado

24 months ago

I know everyone is struggling in this economy. If anyone has any legitimate leads on jobs for veterans, please, let me know. I'm in the same boat as quite a few million vets looking for employment right now. We have an immense amount of experience and knowledge but don't have the civilian certifications to secure the job. Also, in this economy a lot of us working adults can't work, pay the bills, and go to school full time to get these certifications. I tried it and almost ended up on the streets. So, again, does anyone have any good leads for vets with working experience? Thanks for youir response in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Poughkeepsie, New York

24 months ago

The Dept of Labor usually bends over backwards for Vets. You can find one close to where you live. Good Luck and Thank you.

a.xd in Colorado Springs, Colorado

24 months ago

Joe,
Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I'm very familiar with the Dept of Labor and, no, they aren't the most helpful agency out there. I've had the experience of them just going through the motions to get you on a list. They focus on work in your state or immediate area and unfortunately where I live the unemployment rate is still above the national average. I'm trying to find those positions that may not advertise frequently and will be willing to travel out of state for a good job.

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

24 months ago

The Dept of Labor is even LESS HELPFUL if you are not a veteran. I know first hand.

I wish I had the answer for you. It's not easy for any American right now.

You might want to target companies looking for managers. For example, the Home Depot. Companies like the Home Depot think HIGHLY of veterans because of their leadership abilities. And, they will train you. Railroads (different positions) and Warehouses (Supervisor positions) seem to like veterans also.

You know their is a Magazine I always see at the Dept of Labor. I can't recall the name but it specifically deals with veterans and them entering the civilian workforce. They talk about the companies that will hire vets.

Good Luck - Happy Fourth!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.