I hate my new pharmacy tech job! How can I cope with it since I cant afford to quit?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (24)

New Pharmacy Technician in Colfax, Illinois

32 months ago

I really hate it...its high stress and awful...today during my lunch break I sat in my car and cried that's how overwhelmed I get with the job...Its my third day...yes day 3 and I'm ready to run for the hills (yes even if I did go to tech school) My stomach sinks in the Morgan thinking I have to be there for 8 Hrs...its a retail pharmacy in a hospital but the staff never technically trained me they just threw me in there. I feel like my mind is going at 100 MPH per hour when the phone in the pharmacy rings, customers in line another call on hold...and yet I have no idea what is going on...I'm always "lost". How can I handle this I'm so miserable I can't even concentrate on anything when I'm off work because I'm thinking about pharmacy. I also can't afford to quit...how can I cope.

This pharmacy has had the same tech for the past 7 years so I don't think they have ever had to formally train a new technician. The technician that has been there for 7 years is always so stressed and aggravated that she stresses me out as well. I have also heard her throw me under the bus for stuff that I asked her for help with. I can't afford to quit even though I get knots in my stomach every time I walk through the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brand New Pharmacy Technician in Palatine, Illinois

32 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

fellow pharm tech in Minneapolis, Minnesota

32 months ago

I just have to say... It gets better with each passing day. My first few days in the pharmacy I cried my eyes out in my car because there was no way I was ever going to be able to keep up. But after two months it got a LOT better. You just have to find your niche and groove. You'll find it but you have to give it time and hang in there. I was ready to quit every single day and visibly cringed whenever the phone rang. If you just hang in there every day for a few months you'll get that thicker skin and you'll find that what bothers you know won't bother you later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sr. Certified Pharmacy technician in Overland Park, Kansas

32 months ago

Give it some time, my first 4 months were terrible! I work in a retail store pharmacy that is the busiest one in the district. Now that I see where I'm at with the knowledge and certifications it was worth it. Just put on the attitude of "I'm going to ask questions even if you don't like it" always ask questions even if they get irritated! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brand New Pharmacy Technician in Romeoville, Illinois

32 months ago

Does every New TECH have it this rough?...Or does it depend on the training provided by the company/pharmacy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

My name is ROOKIE PHARM.TECH in Romeoville, Illinois

32 months ago

Thanks for the advice...I felt like quitting every single day and I just wondered if other techs went through the similar taught process?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Fort Madison, Iowa

31 months ago

I feel for you folks. I am a pharmacist, and I have been thrown under the bus by pharmacy techs many times. The best pharmacy jobs are independent stores. The big chains are absolute salt mines to work in. It never gets better at Walgreen's or CVS. Sorry. My current job is at a nice hospital.
There are better jobs out there in other retail positions. Hell, I would rather sell shoes at Penney's than work retail pharmacy again.
Some hospital jobs are nice to work in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carrie in Davenport, Iowa

31 months ago

New Pharmacy Technician in Colfax, Illinois said: I really hate it...its high stress and awful...today during my lunch break I sat in my car and cried that's how overwhelmed I get with the job...Its my third day...yes day 3 and I'm ready to run for the hills (yes even if I did go to tech school) My stomach sinks in the Morgan thinking I have to be there for 8 Hrs...its a retail pharmacy in a hospital but the staff never technically trained me they just threw me in there. I feel like my mind is going at 100 MPH per hour when the phone in the pharmacy rings, customers in line another call on hold...and yet I have no idea what is going on...I'm always "lost". How can I handle this I'm so miserable I can't even concentrate on anything when I'm off work because I'm thinking about pharmacy. I also can't afford to quit...how can I cope.

This pharmacy has had the same tech for the past 7 years so I don't think they have ever had to formally train a new technician. The technician that has been there for 7 years is always so stressed and aggravated that she stresses me out as well. I have also heard her throw me under the bus for stuff that I asked her for help with. I can't afford to quit even though I get knots in my stomach every time I walk through the door.

I am so happy to know that someone was in the same boat as me , I'm still trying to find a job in pharmacy because I have to survive, but its exactly how you wrot e need ajob , but scared when I start to walk through the door.

frustrated85 in Virginia Beach, Virginia

29 months ago

I have been working as a pharmacy technician for over a year now part time (PART-TIME!) and there has been no end to the stress and misery that has accompanied it. I can say for the first time now I have never been happier...i just gave my two weeks notice. HALLELUJAH! I have absolutely no idea how i even lasted this long because i thought about quitting the first day on the job as well. I attest to everything thats been posted here about the horrendous conditions, etc. I worked at a retail pharmacy chain and literally got NO training....had to figure out absolutely everything for myself. The other pharmacy technician has hated me since the moment i came in. I have done NOTHING to offend her other than occasionally ask for help and yet she looks at me like i'm scum. She is extremely rude and offensive (even to customers!) and people have complained to me about her. Yet, day after day, the pharmacist continues to turn a blind eye. Completely ridiculous. To the others, I agree, answering phones is literally hell on earth. I had a guy yell at me extremely loudly because he wanted to know how much the nose hair clippers were. WTF? That's not even my department! That guy has some serious issues, and i think they are a tad more important than excess nose hair LOL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scapegoat Technician in Chicago, Illinois

29 months ago

frustrated85 in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I have been working as a pharmacy technician for over a year now part time (PART-TIME!) and there has been no end to the stress and misery that has accompanied it. I can say for the first time now I have never been happier...i just gave my two weeks notice. HALLELUJAH! I have absolutely no idea how i even lasted this long because i thought about quitting the first day on the job as well. I attest to everything thats been posted here about the horrendous conditions, etc. I worked at a retail pharmacy chain and literally got NO training....had to figure out absolutely everything for myself. The other pharmacy technician has hated me since the moment i came in. I have done NOTHING to offend her other than occasionally ask for help and yet she looks at me like i'm scum. She is extremely rude and offensive (even to customers!) and people have complained to me about her. Yet, day after day, the pharmacist continues to turn a blind eye. Completely ridiculous. To the others, I agree, answering phones is literally hell on earth. I had a guy yell at me extremely loudly because he wanted to know how much the nose hair clippers were. WTF? That's not even my department! That guy has some serious issues, and i think they are a tad more important than excess nose hair LOL.

Congrats! I envy your new found freedom...I'm only 3 months in and have already prepared an escape plan...every time I walk into work I just tell myself it's one less day day of my timeline...I'm leaving pharmacy to work as a cashier at a new chain store they are opening up near my home...this summer...so needless to say I have started the countdown...When my co-worker of a witch (lead tech) gives me a hard time and attitude i shrug it off because I know when I leave they will have a very hard time finding a replacement...no one is gonna stay and out up their crappy attitudes. And although they won't admit it...

frustrated85 in Virginia Beach, Virginia

29 months ago

Scapegoat Technician in Chicago, Illinois said: Congrats! I envy your new found freedom...I'm only 3 months in and have already prepared an escape plan...every time I walk into work I just tell myself it's one less day day of my timeline...I'm leaving pharmacy to work as a cashier at a new chain store they are opening up near my home...this summer...so needless to say I have started the countdown...When my co-worker of a witch (lead tech) gives me a hard time and attitude i shrug it off because I know when I leave they will have a very hard time finding a replacement...no one is gonna stay and out up their crappy attitudes. And although they won't admit it...

Thanks! There are so many things I wish I could have told myself a year ago like "how could you be so naive and think you were actually going to get treated with an ounce of respect?" I also had a problem with my lead tech - what is it about them that makes them think they can talk to us like 2 year olds when all we do is make their job easier? I wish you all the best in your new job. I unfortunately don't have a backup plan but I am convinced the perfect job is out there...and it is NOT at a pharmacy! Never again...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Indiana in South Bend, Indiana

29 months ago

Brand New Pharmacy Technician in Romeoville, Illinois said: Does every New TECH have it this rough?...Or does it depend on the training provided by the company/pharmacy?

I cried my eyes out I quit lol this was so bad ..... there was no proper training at all in this store and that is what counts this is a life death situation not only you can make a mistake the pharmacist could also over look under8stress and make a mistake ...... the solution to this is team work there was not team work they were just running around like fools..... So no one should feel bad about crying retail is very stressful it takes a good trainer to have a good team.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DC in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

New Pharmacy Technician in Colfax, Illinois said: I really hate it...its high stress and awful...today during my lunch break I sat in my car and cried that's how overwhelmed I get with the job...Its my third day...yes day 3 and I'm ready to run for the hills (yes even if I did go to tech school) My stomach sinks in the Morgan thinking I have to be there for 8 Hrs...its a retail pharmacy in a hospital but the staff never technically trained me they just threw me in there. I feel like my mind is going at 100 MPH per hour when the phone in the pharmacy rings, customers in line another call on hold...and yet I have no idea what is going on...I'm always "lost". How can I handle this I'm so miserable I can't even concentrate on anything when I'm off work because I'm thinking about pharmacy. I also can't afford to quit...how can I cope.

Find things that are being done in the store in an illegal manner and begin reporting them to the government. Also, your trainer is probably a narcisist. The best way to handle people like this is to scare them by making them think you know something bad about them by making mysterious and cryptic comments. Her own imagination will do the rest to cause her to destroy herself. When someone gives you a bad day give her a worse one, and if you are being thrown under the bus you might as well pull her under with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

DC in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

Find things that are being done in the store in an illegal manner and begin reporting them to the government. Also, your trainer is probably a narcisist. The best way to handle people like this is to scare them by making them think you know something bad about them by making mysterious and cryptic comments. Her own imagination will do the rest to cause her to destroy herself. When someone gives you a bad day give her a worse one, and if you are being thrown under the bus you might as well pull her under with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Hampton, Virginia

27 months ago

The other pharmacy technician has hated me since the moment i came in. I have done NOTHING to offend her other than occasionally ask for help and yet she looks at me like i'm scum. She is extremely rude and offensive (even to customers!) and people have complained to me about her. Yet, day after day, the pharmacist continues to turn a blind eye. ...

Ugh, I feel for you. I worked as a bank teller once...not life and death, but a fast-paced environment with one particularly snotty co-worker. After a few weeks on the job, I looked her in the eye and said, "look, you're gonna drop your attitude toward me or I'll complain all the way up to corporate. I've done nothing to offend you and I'm sick of the way you talk to me and act toward me and you're going to stop now." I made sure to say it loud and clear in front of my supervisor. I've had to deal with too many people like that in my life and I've come to realize they only act that way because a: they are allowed to get away with it; they count on the fact that no one will confront them, and b: they're simply socially inept and it's our civic duty to let them know that. The older I get the less I care what boobs like that think about me. I think you need to put her on the spot and let her know you're not going to be treated like that. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan0526 in Oakland, California

27 months ago

I was lucky enough to get hired for a hospital inpatient pharmacy tech position (no previous experience, except for externship) several months ago and they started me off at around $18/hr. When I started, I thought the same things you all were thinking. I'm glad I found my way to this site to hear that there are people in the same boat as me. I am hanging in there though and I'll share how my first couple months went.

First week was overwhelming. I asked a lot of questions and I recommend all you new techs do the same. 3 months in and I still ask a bunch of questions. Take notes when you can, I suggest bringing a notepad to write down how the daily tasks are handled and when it should be done by. Before every shift, I would briefly study my notes and it would help me feel more confident throughout the day.

Since the hospital is open 24 hrs, there are different technician shifts/roles given around the clock. I started off training with the morning schedule, when it's the most busiest, so I got to experience the intense workload. The roles I've learned included answering phones (mostly talking to nurses/transferring to pharmacists for drug related questions), delivering meds/iv's to different units in the hospital (you learn your way around the ENTIRE hospital), operating pyxis machines, and of course pulling/filling. I have yet to do IV, but I will eventually learn it.

Over time, you will eventually learn to handle the workload. You figure out what has priority over what and when things should be done. You are given a mess load of information, but as you work more, you organize it in your brain and you become more efficient. It also gets stressful at times, especially the first few weeks, but you learn to manage it. Hang in there guys! I'll update whenever I can on this site and if you got any questions/comments, let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tech for Target in Whittier, California

26 months ago

Hell yeah I hate the phone. I hate my pay and I hate how people want you to do everything for them. Before you know it they will want you to drive to there home and place the freaking capsule or tablet in their mouth and help them swallow. I went to American Career College where they told me its a great job they neglected to menchane the part where its super stressful and what I learn in that school willcount for nothing when applying. Ive been at Target for a little over a year finally Im an ok tech,maybe im a slow learner idk. I do know tho that I dont get paid enough for the stress i go thru Im super nice always smiling even nicknamed SMILEY at work. My co workers are awesome the Pharmacist are awesome aswell its just stupid ppl with stupid question and stupid complaints that piss me off. YOur lucky Ryan0526 I envy you thats what I want to work at a Hospital but their picky overhere in California.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Former CVS Tech of 6 YEARS in Fresno, California

26 months ago

Retail pharmacy (CVS in particular, but I'm sure this applies to others as well) is the absolute WORST environment to work in. You are grossly underpaid, understaffed, under-trained and overworked. Corporate is well aware but the well-being and safety of their empatients is far less important than the size of their paychecks.

In order to survive retail pharmacy...

#1) you need to not take things to heart. Your pharmacists and lead techs will yell at you (because as bad as you feel, they feel worse. They have a lot more pressure on them), ignore it. In pharmacy, you can't be sensitive, but that doesn't mean you have to take it. If it goes beyond what's reasonable... walk away, report it, talk to them about it... do whatever makes sense.

#2) Keep a cool exterior. Patients love to push your buttons and tell you that you're wrong. But, the calmer you remain... the quicker they are to give up. They see that you have control of the situation and there's no way around it. (Don't confuse "calm" with "fake and condescending"...a common mistake.)

#3)Pay attention to ONE customer at a time. If you're helping someone and the phone rings; answer it and tell them to please hold. If that is not your stores policy... make it the policy. There is NO reason to help several people at once. If you're thinking, "but we dont have enough staff, we HAVE to help a few people at once." You DON'T. I often worked entire shifts by MYSELF, and this was the only way I could survive it. When you focus on too many things at once, you complete every task much slower, with less attention and with more mistakes.

#4) Cover your ass. Mistakes happen. If someone throws you under the bus, speak up for yourself. There's no reason not to.

#5) NEVER stop job-hunting. There are better opportunities out there. Retail pharmacy is a nice start, but it's not something you'll want to do for the rest of your life.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wolfgang Hunter in Dallas

9 months ago

Charlie in Fort Madison, Iowa said: I feel for you folks. I am a pharmacist, and I have been thrown under the bus by pharmacy techs many times. The best pharmacy jobs are independent stores. The big chains are absolute salt mines to work in. It never gets better at Walgreen's or CVS . Sorry. My current job is at a nice hospital .
There are better jobs out there in other retail positions. Hell, I would rather sell shoes at Penney's than work retail pharmacy again.
Some hospital jobs are nice to work in.

Charlie - if you are a pharmacist how are you thrown under the bus, unless of course you don't have a clue what you're doing. Hopefully someone will be looking into your license before you poison someone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Former CVS Tech of 6 years in Fresno, California

9 months ago

Wolfgang Hunter in Dallas said: Since half of you dump cows can't even spell simple words properly - it's lunch not lynch unless of course you have a noose with which to hang yourself - I'm not surprised you're stressed.

Do the world some favor and give up before you poison someone cause you have not a pig's brain of knowledge for your profession.

Lol, yikes! First, since typos are so important to you, let us go ahead and list each of your misspelled words/ grammatical errors/ typos/ etc.
1. There is no such thing as a "dump cow". Or, maybe you meant "dumb"? In that case, *dumb.
2. The phrase is, "Do the world *a favor".
3. *because
4. You are correct in stating that none of us contain a pig's brain of knowledge in the area of pharmacy... I believe many of us contain a *human's brain of knowledge. I say "many of us" and not "all of us" because I am choosing not to speak for yourself.

Whew! Now that we've cleared up your mistakes and have made your post a little more legible, here is my response.

This response is to all of the pharmacy staff coming to this forum for advice and/or help with coping. Wolfgang Hunter is the prime example of many of the patients/ staff/ etc. we encounter in pharmacy. He is arrogant, extremely irrational and does not provide a logical explanation for his unwarranted rant. Although each of these traits is true, we still have to deal with him. We can take what he said to heart, OR we can choose to walk away and laugh about it later. Working in this field is stressful enough as it is, don't let naysayers get the best of you. Besides, people who react in this manner are typically miserable/stressed out themselves.

Have a good day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

leahsodyssey in Portland, Oregon

9 months ago

Well after a great deal of trouble with my new supervisor at Wal-Mart, I ended up going to Rite Aid. They dropped me right into the Pharmacy, they would not let me do my computer training, and today I was told I wasn't picking things up fast enough or being fast enough in general and they will likely send me packing. I am so exhausted from standing all day without breaks and only a rushed half hour lunch. I am pretty sure I do not want to be a tech anymore, but now I don't know what to do. I can't go back to Wal-Mart (long story as to what happened there) and I can't keep up the pace at Rite Aid. I feel so lost. I was a tech for about a year and a half at Wal-mart (after being a cashier for about 2.5 years), but they always had me be a back-up cashier so I don't feel like I got the training the other techs have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lara maciendi in Bullard, Texas

7 months ago

I am sooooo glad I saw these posts. I HATE HATE HATE HATE my job. This is my very first job ever and I work at one of the busiest CVS pharmacies in my area. I hate my co workers and I feel so stupid everyday because i'm always so lost. I just wanna quit and I actually wanna throw up when I think about my next shift. Reading these posts make me feel better because I'm not the only one going through this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Regret in Hesperia, California

7 months ago

I'm so glad I found this thread. I just typed into google "I hate my new job" and was RELIEVED to see that specifically a pharmacy tech post came up. I got hired as an on call tech at my local Walgreens and I CANNOT stand it. I knew from the minute I started there, that I wouldn't enjoy this job at all. They threw me in there with NO training whatsoever and are all very rude when I need help. I've expressed my disdain for being a pharmacy tech to family and friends, and they have told me to stick it out and see if I feel differently about it later on. But honestly, it won't change. I'm not happy and after reading all these posts I feel more certain about my feelings. I'll be changing my career path as soon as I can. Luckily I do have another job that I can resort to when I finally pull the trigger. They sell you this job as if it's the greatest, but definitely not a long term career. For me anyways...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Poison Ivy in Reno, Nevada

4 months ago

I cried on my third day too working as a Pharmacy Technician at CVS. They just threw me there without teaching everything that I'm supposed to know and the Pharmacy is so busy and we are understaffed. There are some situations that I don't know how to resolve or handle. Using the register is a new thing for me and they only trained me at the front store register for 4 hours and didn't tell me all the functions of or what I am supposed to do if this certain incident happens. I've only been working at the pharmacy for 5 days. I am so clueless with what's going on at other things. I couldn't ask anyone to help me cause they are always busy. I've even made a few mistakes and now I'm wondering if they would soon fire me. :((

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.