Who all is using Penn Foster as their school of choice?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 231)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Ari in Richmond, Kentucky

82 months ago

Deb in Albany, New York said: I am looking at Penn Foster but I also found another on line site at your own pace called Virtual Institute of Pharmacy Technology (called CANY: Career Academy of NY). The syllabus looks good, costs $150, and they claim to have a 98% pass rate on the PTCB. Has anyone tried this and what were your thoughts and results?

pharmacytech.org/

Hey Deb! I found that VIPT also online. I was very surprised that they were offering 150.00 - that's practically a steal. They look professional, but I would like to hear from someone else before I consider it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bethany in Lake Jackson, Texas

82 months ago

There's a few things that I see different from Penn Foster (why it is cheaper). One thing I don't like is it says "Join now through March 28" for the $149 fee. It reminds me of those sites that say "This special offer will only last until midnight of.." and it happens to be today's date. If you change your computer's calender and refresh the webpage, that date also changes. Also it says you print your own diploma & transcript, don't know how good that will look to employers who want to see it. And lastly you receive no books, it's all online. It really is great to have books. I take mine everywhere so when I have time to read/study I can. (With Penn Foster you receive books and items (bottles/vials, capsules, mortar/pestle, measuring spoons, counting tray, flash cards, etc) Another point, the website talks mostly of the exam, so that is what your material will mostly cover probably. If you are serious about being a pharm tech I would think twice about this site, it seems like something you may regret. (printed diploma, no books, only covers test)

I am taking the Penn Foster course and when I first saw your post I thought I might just switch since the whole course is about half of what I still owe Penn Foster, but after seeing the site thoroughly (which aint much) I am gonna stick with Penn. That site just gave me an uneasy feeling. But if you do decide to go with it, post back and let others know how it is like!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Tuolumne, California

82 months ago

Yeah, I agree with the comment above. I finished the program with penn foster two months ago. Its a really worthwhile course to take. It may not be as cheap as the other site listed but I know that penn foster is accredited by the ASHP: american society of health system pharmacy which in some states that means you can already apply for your license without getting certified. But Im not saying that taking the ptcb is something anyone should blow off. If your certified your recognized nationally and if your just licensed your only recognized by your state. But my point here is that penn foster is accredited in the right area and it is a great program for independent studying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

82 months ago

I totally agree. I have just finished with penn foster and the courses were very helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Fort Benning, Georgia

82 months ago

I believe Penn Foster is very informative. I'm studying now to take the exam, using Mosby's Review. I feel overwhelmed. Math and such can be difficult for me, but I'm focused on accomplishing this. Does anyone have any tips or anything that has already taken the exam? I feel like I'm going to be studying forever just to learn all the medications and math conversions and formulas!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rhonda montgomery in Denton, Texas

82 months ago

I too am taking the course, although I am still in the unit studies, from what they tell me is study math. You can do it, math is my worst subject and I am determine to do this, Good luck, you will do fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Carli in Troy, Michigan

82 months ago

JT in Sandusky, Ohio said: All done!

All done with what...the Phar.Tech Course from Penn Foster? If so..how was it and have you passed Boards and got a job? Which section was the hardest?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carli in Troy, Michigan

82 months ago

Anonymous in Tuolumne, California said: Actually I enrolled in penn foster for the pharmacy technician course. I also already passed my PTCE and am already licensed through the state. Penn foster is not a waste of money. Yes, any one off the streets can apply to take that PTCB exam. But, you cannot get licensed through any state without schooling. Without the license no pharmacist, big or small, can hire you.

Why are you enrolling in Penn Foster if you are already licensed? Thank you for this response and the information.

John in Los Angeles/Las Vegas

82 months ago

Sarah in Fort Benning, Georgia said: I believe Penn Foster is very informative. I'm studying now to take the exam, using Mosby's Review. I feel overwhelmed. Math and such can be difficult for me, but I'm focused on accomplishing this. Does anyone have any tips or anything that has already taken the exam? I feel like I'm going to be studying forever just to learn all the medications and math conversions and formulas!

Hey don't worry about the test. Mosby's Review is really helpful. Believe it or not its more helpful than the entire Penn Foster program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Fort Benning, Georgia

82 months ago

Thanks a lot. I'm really stressing. I've never gone to college--should've (21 and a veteran now)and I'm trying to balance out work and two dogs, and a husband and a baby on the way, trying to accomplish it. Bit overwhelming, Mosby's does seem to be really informative, memorizing may be a challenge though!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

I meant to say that I already completed the penn foster Pharm tech program. I worded that different sorry... But yeah, after i completed the program i then took the ptce and applied for licensing.

Carli in Farmington, Michigan

82 months ago

Thank you for response. Do you mind if I ask how long it took you to complete program? Can you progress faster than 9 mos.? Did you run into any problems with your app for licensing and employment?

Just trying to get all info I can before I embark upon this journey... Thank you.

82 months ago

I dont mind the question. Thats what this forum is for. It took me 4 1/2 months to complete the program with penn foster. No, i didnt have any problem with applying for my license. Walmart is the only place around here that was willing to hire me since I didnt have much experience. But I guess retail pharmacy isnt too bad since im starting off at 12.50/hr full time. I was very persistant when I sought out employment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

THANK YOU SO MUCH...for this information. I know now that I can complete this course earlier than I've previously heard. It's also encouraging that your persistance paid off and you're now employed! Great going!! You're getting your experience now and I'm sure the future will bring great things for career. I look forward to my experience becoming a Pharmach Tech.

Did you get your license or certification yet? Or maybe that takes much more time?

Anyway, thanks again for all this information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Medina, CPhT in Anonymous Proxy

82 months ago

I oftentimes hear horror stories of individuals who pay lots of money to get the same job of one who spent a few dollars for a book and studied for the exam on their own. One of the comments I make to my students, (as I am an instructor as well in reviewing for the national exam for less than 100.00), is what is the difference between you and your fellow worker? You do not have a huge student loan to pay off!

There are many books out there and again we get into which one is best as there are also books that are written that just give you an inundation of information that has nothing to do with the exam. Why? Generally because they are written by Pharmacists who never even took the exam themselves.

So what do I recommend: Tech Lectures Review Manual/Workbook with the CD ROM

It is written to be easily understood, it is specific to the national exam, it is affordable and it offers FREE email support. What a novel idea, actually offering something of value.

Joe Medina, CPhT
www.techlectures.com

82 months ago

For the person asking how fast you can get through the Penn Foster program, one good thing about it is that all of the manuals are available in pdf format that can be downloaded from your account. So you don't have to wait for the books to arrive in the mail to continue studying, but you will have them pretty quickly in case you prefer them. I am going to have it done within 1 1/2 years but that's because I took considerable time off twice for my children's summer break and my husband's surgery/recovery. Plus I am pretty busy at home so I don't have much study time. But that's why I took Penn Foster's program in the first place, so I can do it on my time as slow as I choose, but as for you - as fast as you choose :) hope that helps

Also, there are some manuals you can probably skip through as they seem to be more of a filler and won't be on the test. But it does provide alot more information that just enough to pass the test. It really helps you understand the job that you are going into and your role in the pharmacy etc. I don't think you will regret it one bit. They also provide you with a copy of Delmar's PTCB study guide so you can have it both ways. I will admit that I am probably going to purchase Mosby's though because it has gotten pretty good reviews and one can't be too prepared!

82 months ago

Thank you so much for this response. You provided me with a lot of information that is extremely helpful.
Thank you and Good Luck to you in your endeavors!

82 months ago

THANK YOU!!! This was extremely helpful. This gives me another alternative to consider..especially coming from an instructor.

Thank you so much!

82 months ago

Roxanne in Sonora, California said: I have only one more test to take. Actually I have looked into everything that is required for me to be become a pharmacy tech. For those of you taking the course..Good for you. Dont listen to anyone thats telling you that you wasted your money. Thats very discouraging. Yeah, you could buy all the study material to take the certification test. Pass and be certified.But guess what..without training you cannot get licensed!!! Duh!! No one is going to hire a technician that cannot be licensed by state. So if your still working towards you goal keep working on it and dont get discouraged. Tommorrow I should be done with my last test. I plan on applying online to take the ptcb test afterwards when im done studying for the test. If anyone wants to ask me questions or anything feel free to hit me up at roxcomp@yahoo.com

Thanks for this information. It was very positive and encouraging. Did you get your license yet? Also, are you able to get Certified? And were you able to find a Job?

none

81 months ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH So Mr. Rad Tech didn't pass the pharm tech exam his first time? HMMMM Now we know where his hostility is coming from!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Shreveport, Louisiana

81 months ago

John,

What was on the test that everyone is panicking about? Even the older techs that took the test several years ago tell me that they could not pass the test today? So my question is why? What was on the test?

John in Los Angeles/Las Vegas said: Hey everyone I'm proud everyone here is going become certified but advice to everyone here DO NOT ENROLL IN PENN FOSTER!!!!!! Not only will you waste time you will waste a lot of money. Advice to everyone......Go on PTCB.org and check out the site and get familiar with the site. You don't need any certificates or experience to take the PTCE. I recommend a preparation book from either Barnes & Noble or Borders. I failed the PTCE the first time because honestly, the information that was based in the program in Penn Foster wasn't really relevant with the test. The book I got from Barnes and Noble was more up to date. The book is called Mosby's Review for the PTCB Certification Examination. The books ISBN-13 is 9780323033671. I got the book for around 40 dollars. One more thing to recommend to anyone becoming, trying to become, or/and thinking of becoming a technician, become a member of the NPTA. The National Pharmacy Technician Association offers Continuing Education and also Certificates such as IV and Compounding. Both those classes combined will cost you around $1000 plus expenses because these classes are held in Texas. Now if you go through the traditional school you will pay around $10,000 dollars for all this. If you do it through Penn Foster it will cost you around $600 plus you get a certificate that worth nothing. If anyone needs any more advice or has questions reply back to my comment and I'll try to answer back ASAP.

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

81 months ago

I am currently working on an online PTCE study program. I am looking for 10 serious people that have their PTCE books, and would like to study online...I am really looking for beta testers to tell me how good things are going or if there are any problems, Im looking for testers that can make suggestions on future progress. The good thing about this is, you can use this to study for PTCE or any subject you desire, some PTCE questions are setup, but your overall objective is to create your own categories/questions/answers for your own
study...Some people do not like to study from a book, and would rather study online if they could..email:dscurlock(@)mail.com - there is no cost, ever...

good luck with your ptce studies...

gn in Los Angeles, California

81 months ago

i have my exam in 2 months..i have been looking ofr books that help to prepare for the exam..since it is even less than 2 months i dont kno which book to buy..ther is one ptcb review that is the traditional book. n and another is quick tets preparation.com textbook ..i m confused please help

lisa davis in Monroe, Louisiana

81 months ago

I think penn foster is great.I'm almost done with five more modecules left. but to anyone I have a question is the final test hard .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sam in Hayward, California

81 months ago

Isn't the PTCB text now computer based? I heard they started offering this in Feb of 2007. Has anyone taken the test this was as oppose to the paper and pencil version? I'd like to know your input on this. Thanks!!!

anonymous in Los Angeles, California

81 months ago

Penn Foster is NOT accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP). I spoke to a Penn Foster student representative myself to ask this particular question, and the website only indicates that only their faculty are members of ASHP. However, Penn Foster itself is not accredited with ASHP as a school. This is a HUGE difference. Please take this into consideration.

Penn Foster is extremely informative and somewhat useful, but if you want to save money, just buy a PTCB book and study it to take the test. You don't need schooling to take the PCTB exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Los Angeles, California

81 months ago

Roxanne in Sonora, California said: I have only one more test to take. Actually I have looked into everything that is required for me to be become a pharmacy tech. For those of you taking the course..Good for you. Dont listen to anyone thats telling you that you wasted your money. Thats very discouraging. Yeah, you could buy all the study material to take the certification test. Pass and be certified.But guess what..without training you cannot get licensed!!! Duh!! No one is going to hire a technician that cannot be licensed by state. So if your still working towards you goal keep working on it and dont get discouraged. Tommorrow I should be done with my last test. I plan on applying online to take the ptcb test afterwards when im done studying for the test. If anyone wants to ask me questions or anything feel free to hit me up at roxcomp@yahoo.com

Only pharmacists, not pharmacy techs, get licensed. Pharmacy techs only get certified by taking the PTCB exam or get registered. You can look this up on the federal bureau of statistics. If you are taking Penn Foster pharmacy tech classes, it also verifies this fact in the Module 1 lesson plan, "The Profession of Pharmacy. Some employers do look for people who have been formally trained. Penn Foster is not an accredited program that executes formal training. A school must be accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) to be able to formally train pharmacy techs. Penn Foster is not accredited by the ASHP, their faculty is merely affiliated with this association. Penn Foster only informs you about the pharmacy tech career and prepares you for the the PTCB exam, which some other books can do for a cheaper price.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Roxanne Cowan in sonora, California

81 months ago

Wrong!

www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/tch_app_pkt.pdf

#3 part C- completion of ptcb qualifies you to become registered as pharmacy technician.

Also you may verify the status of persons pharmacy technician license at

www2.dca.ca.gov/pls/wllpub/wllqryna$lcev2.startup?p_qte_code=TCH&p_qte_pgm_code=7200

anonymous in Norwalk, California

81 months ago

Roxanne Cowan in sonora, California said: Wrong!

#3 part C- completion of ptcb qualifies you to become registered as pharmacy technician.

Also you may verify the status of persons pharmacy technician license at

www2.dca.ca.gov/pls/wllpub/wllqryna $lcev2.startup?p_qte_code=TCH&p_qte_pgm_code=7200

I am not wrong. You are clearly confused. Let me quote what I said earlier. "Pharmacy techs only get certified by taking the PTCB exam or get registered." REGISTERED.

Your link that verifies pharmacy techs' licenses doesn't even work.

Pharmacy techs get REGISTERED, not licensed. A license allows you to practice indepently, which only pharmacists can do. Read up on your Penn Foster study units.

You can, but you don't have to, get formally trained to get registered as a pharmacy tech. You can just take the PCTB exam to get registered. You can do either/or.

You CANNOT get formally trained by Penn Foster because they ARE NOT ACCREDITED BY ASHP. Try putting it on your pharmacy tech registration application. I guarantee they won't accept it. As long as you're certified by taking the PCTB exam, you're fine.

You DO NOT need both formal training and certification to get registered, although you can do both if you want to. You were obviously confused by registration and licensing. As long as you have your certification and registration, you can work as a pharmacy tech. The first link you posted even says so under "Qualifying Method of Substantiation."

lessons.pennfoster.com/pdf/084034.pdf

Let me clear one more thing up, it does say on a lot of sites that registration and licensing are the same thing, and that it is hard to find a job without formal training but you are definitely wrong that Penn Foster counts as formal training and that it is required.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Roxanne in Sonora, California

81 months ago

Yes, I have done my studying. I've already graduated from penn foster 3 months ago and passed the ptcb. I actually was wrong about penn foster being accredited by the ashp. I was mislead by some customer representative earlier over the phone. Believe me I was PISSED when I found that out. So kudos to you on that one. As for the licensing/registraion wording I used the term licensing because thats what I was told by several pharmacies around here to get hired. They said I needed to be licensed in order for me to be hired. I was never trying to mislead or CHALLENGE anyone but to help guide people here. You can call the nearest pharmacy to verify what I just said. Also If you look at this website once again:

Check out page 7 on the very top you'll see the type of application and there are several boxes. You will see that "license" is pre-checked. You can also verify a pharmacy technician license at:

www.pharmacy.ca.gov/online/verify_lic.shtml

Just click the link to pharmacy Tech.

But please if you still dont believe me then thats okay. But I really would rather use my time to help people who are really confused rather than fighting with somebody. So if you dont believe then dont respond to what I just wrote. Have a good day and good luck with your pursue in pharmacy.

Joe Medina, CPhT in Denver, Colorado

81 months ago

Hi Everyone,

After reading the postings on this forum, I tend to believe there are many programs, online or vocational that will offer little of value in return for a fee.

Pharmacy Technicians or wannabe Pharmacy Technicians have become a great source of income for organizations and schools or diploma mills. The problem is finding out which one really does what they say they are going to do. This takes time, research and recommendations other than taking the word of mouth of individuals that work and are paid by these organizations or schools.

Or

You can simply study on your own, pass the exam and work the same job someone else is working, but without paying those high school loans back the other individual is paying. The choice is yours. If you are adamant and have the time, patience and want to study on your own, I recommend a good Review book.

So which one? Again too many are limited in information that is of value for the national exam. I personally like Tech Lectures Review Manual/Workbook because it is specific to the exam and it offers FREE email support. What a novel idea, actually wanting to help someone in passing the national exam. And it is affordable.

Just a thought.

Joe Medina, CPhT
www.techlectures.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Carli in Troy, Michigan

81 months ago

Thanks Joe...for your THOUGHT. It was great information and it makes a great deal of sense. In the end...everyone has to decide if they have the discipline to study on their own..or if they have the money for the structured programs.

I like your way. Thanks again.

81 months ago

Joe Medina, CPhT in Denver, Colorado said: Hi Everyone,

After reading the postings on this forum, I tend to believe there are many programs, online or vocational that will offer little of value in return for a fee.

Pharmacy Technicians or wannabe Pharmacy Technicians have become a great source of income for organizations and schools or diploma mills. The problem is finding out which one really does what they say they are going to do. This takes time, research and recommendations other than taking the word of mouth of individuals that work and are paid by these organizations or schools.

Or

You can simply study on your own, pass the exam and work the same job someone else is working, but without paying those high school loans back the other individual is paying. The choice is yours. If you are adamant and have the time, patience and want to study on your own, I recommend a good Review book.

So which one? Again too many are limited in information that is of value for the national exam. I personally like Tech Lectures Review Manual/Workbook because it is specific to the exam and it offers FREE email support. What a novel idea, actually wanting to help someone in passing the national exam. And it is affordable.

Just a thought.

Is this something you are selling? You seem to spam this
forum quite a bit with your link.

81 months ago

Not sure if we would call it spam if the offering is sincere and website was posted only two or three times. For a forum that has hundreds of postings, I doubt we would consider it spam.

Maybe it is spam. Good thought. Of course if this posting just happened to help an individual with a decision in how to prepare themselves for the national exam without paying hundreds to thousands of dollars...

Personally I have mentored hundreds of students/Pharmacy Technician's in the passing of the national exam for far less than 100.00 and not having to pay back those unrealistic high student loans back. Again, they pass the exam, get a job and do the same thing as their counterparts who paid thousands of dollars for formal education that may or maybe not of given them any educational value.

So if we are to consider this spam, let's call it good spam.

Joe Medina, CPhT, Pharmacist
www.techlectures.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

There is no such thing as good spam. This is not a sales forum. I am sure people want info about this and that, and they can find info anywhere on the net without someone making a "fake post" then at the end start in with what they are selling...the only thing you are sincere about is peddling your product here...It only starts with one to start corrupting a forum, next others will come and push and peddle
their books here too, why should you be the exception?

Joe Medina, CPhT in Denver, Colorado said: Not sure if we would call it spam if the offering is sincere and website was posted only two or three times. For a forum that has hundreds of postings, I doubt we would consider it spam.

Maybe it is spam. Good thought. Of course if this posting just happened to help an individual with a decision in how to prepare themselves for the national exam without paying hundreds to thousands of dollars...

Personally I have mentored hundreds of students/Pharmacy Technician's in the passing of the national exam for far less than 100.00 and not having to pay back those unrealistic high student loans back. Again, they pass the exam, get a job and do the same thing as their counterparts who paid thousands of dollars for formal education that may or maybe not of given them any educational value.

So if we are to consider this spam, let's call it good spam.

Joe Medina, CPhT, Pharmacist

81 months ago

good point.

I will disengage myself from this forum although Penn Foster seems to have gotten a great deal of postings as well as other suggestions to the one who originated this posting with included websites. Can we consider these spam as well?

Oh that is different. Let us just pick on Mr. Medina's posting.

Wishing all the best in whatever endeavor they seek.

Joe Medina, CPhT
www.techlectures.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

well im picking on your because your the one im seeing, I wasnt here
nor have i looked through the whole thing. I have a small forum myself, people only post to benefit them or their school they are promoting, they do not care about the forum itself. Personally, I think
all links should be deleted.

Joe Medina, CPhT in Denver, Colorado said: good point.

I will disengage myself from this forum although Penn Foster seems to have gotten a great deal of postings as well as other suggestions to the one who originated this posting with included websites. Can we consider these spam as well?

Oh that is different. Let us just pick on Mr. Medina's posting.

Wishing all the best in whatever endeavor they seek.

Joe Medina, CPhT
www.techlectures.com

81 months ago

lisa davis in Monroe, Louisiana said: I think penn foster is great.I'm almost done with five more modecules left. but to anyone I have a question is the final test hard .

I have yet to finish but I asked that of someone who had and they said there was not a final test. They said the last test that they took was the exam in the back of the last module.

81 months ago

I have to say that Joe offers a great site with good information as well as a great service at unbelievable prices. He also helps many people that cannot afford it with the exam costs and more. I have to say that I am glad I found him and his site and his book is now right there along side of my Penn Foster books. He will be there for us long after we have moved on from Penn Foster so stop trying to be all high and mighty with your spam alerts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

acewarlock in Parrish, Florida

81 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: There is no such thing as good spam. This is not a sales forum. I am sure people want info about this and that, and they can find info anywhere on the net without someone making a "fake post" then at the end start in with what they are selling...the only thing you are sincere about is peddling your product here...It only starts with one to start corrupting a forum, next others will come and push and peddle
their books here too, why should you be the exception?

Boy you sure are bitter about Joe's post, I found it very enlighting and I have found other sites because of Joe's post that are cheaper than his and I knew as soon as I read his post who he was.

81 months ago

Only 9 states require Certifcation, most don't have any regulations at all. goto the website below. I live in Florida and they tried to pass a reg this year to Lic Pharmacy Techs but it didn't pass. You can do OJT with a Pharmacy as is isn't any requirments. Walgreens does and internship program with some online schools but it's not required.

education-portal.com/videos/Pharmacy_Technician_Career_Video.html

81 months ago

acewarlock in Parrish, Florida said: Only 9 states require Certifcation, most don't have any regulations at all. goto the website below. I live in Florida and they tried to pass a reg this year to Lic Pharmacy Techs but it didn't pass. You can do OJT with a Pharmacy as is isn't any requirments. Walgreens does and internship program with some online schools but it's not required.

education-portal.com/videos/Pharmacy_Technician_Career_Video.html

Yes, some states do not require you to be certified, but some companies will not hire you unless you are, its called "higher standards" and it does look better on a resume, it looks better on mine now :)

81 months ago

acewarlock in Parrish, Florida said: Boy you sure are bitter about Joe's post, I found it very enlighting and I have found other sites because of Joe's post that are cheaper than his and I knew as soon as I read his post who he was.

I thought about that for a bit, then realized, its not
my forum, why should i care, flood this place with spam
and degrade the forum...not my problem...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

For some reason I was led to believe that there are 26 states that now require certification of their individual Pharmacy Technician's or near that number. Also let us not forget "Emily's Law" which is pushing for not only certification of Technician's but also formal education on a national level.

What I am trying to say is that the time is coming where it will no longer be as easy to get a Pharmacy Technician job without some criteria established such as national certification or formal education.

To bypass the formal education aspect when a state decides this is the way to go, a Pharmacy Technician would be wise to be nationally certified already and simply be grandfathered in without having to complete formal education required. Or for those uncertified... they can simply wait it out and see what happens which would most likely be an unwise decision.

Joe Medina, CPhT

------------
Only 9 states require Certifcation, most don't have any regulations at all. goto the website below. I live in Florida and they tried to pass a reg this year to Lic Pharmacy Techs but it didn't pass. You can do OJT with a Pharmacy as is isn't any requirments. Walgreens does and internship program with some online schools but it's not required.

81 months ago

Joe Medina, CPhT in Denver, Colorado said: For some reason I was led to believe that there are 26 states that now require certification of their individual Pharmacy Technician's or near that number. Also let us not forget "Emily's Law" which is pushing for not only certification of Technician's but also formal education on a national level.

What I am trying to say is that the time is coming where it will no longer be as easy to get a Pharmacy Technician job without some criteria established such as national certification or formal education.

To bypass the formal education aspect when a state decides this is the way to go, a Pharmacy Technician would be wise to be nationally certified already and simply be grandfathered in without having to complete formal education required. Or for those uncertified... they can simply wait it out and see what happens which would most likely be an unwise decision.

Joe Medina, CPhT.

I think people are looking into this too far. Florida could not get a simple certification law passed, now its proprosed for a nationwide formal training?? as great of a deal this might be for pharm techs, I just do not think this will be as nearly easy to get this law passed, there will be backlash, and this could be economic disaster, as requiring training would result in great pharm tech shortages, and pharmacies would have to pay a great deal of $$ to techs so they can keep the ones they got, and starting pay for new hires would be more...

and what type of formal training? penn foster? 9 months? 2 year college?
millions of people deciding on becoming a pharm tech would change their minds, as it would not be easy job entry, they would have to go to school first then get certified before they could work...and just before the grandfather starts, millions will be rushing to get their
certification done....

Changing laws like this could take forever, or never pass at all...
it is a noble idea, compaines will loose mega $$

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

I found this on Emily's Law...

blog.cleveland.com/metro/2007/07/emilys_law_would_regulate_phar.html

This is how it starts off...there is no mention
of a nationwide law, this would be just for
Ohio pharmacy tech's....

A law that would require Ohio pharmacy technicians to be trained, licensed and certified, as they are in 26 other states, could be in effect by the end of the year.

So leaving has been led that this is a nationwide law change,
if anyone knows any different, feel free to post the link.

Phish in Somewhere, Wisconsin

81 months ago

www.pharmacytechnician.org/en/art/?242

Not sure if the link will show up, I havent posted here yet. If not the link to the article about the federal legislation is located on the front page of the NPTA website.

Also, Im only a third of the way through Penns program, I find it very informative as well as helpful on my resume, correspondence courses do tend to show innitiative and motivation in an applicant. I started working retail 2 weeks ago and have been going through the interview process with the major health care provider here. Both companies expresses interest in me two days apart, I took the retail position "just incase", looks like the hospital job will happen in the very near future. I am not nationally certified yet and don't need to be in this state. However I strongly believe that my enrollment in Penn is worth a heck of alot more than if I were to tell my interviewers that I bought some book and studied. I prefer a structured program, though I understand that were all different in whats right for us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Medina in Denver, Colorado

81 months ago

I apologize, I meant "Emily's Act" or more specifically the "Federal Pharmacy Technician Act" of which states may receive grant money if they implement changes that involve formal education of their pharmacy technicians. Educational requirements would have to be ASHP accredited which means that they may actually be programs that have substance.

Now, I am one who has been advocating some sort of education for over ten years now and always believed it would be "when hell freezes over." But if states are to receive grant money....it may very well be getting chilly down there.

As for Penn Foster of which should be the focus of this forum, I am not familiar with their program and therefore should not make comments either way of whether it has substance or simply one of those diploma mills.

Joe Medina, CPhT

--------
I found this on Emily's Law...

blog.cleveland.com/metro/2007/07/emilys_law_would_regulate_phar.html

This is how it starts off...there is no mention
of a nationwide law, this would be just for
Ohio pharmacy tech's....

A law that would require Ohio pharmacy technicians to be trained, licensed and certified, as they are in 26 other states, could be in effect by the end of the year.

So leaving has been led that this is a nationwide law change,
if anyone knows any different, feel free to post the link.

81 months ago

if the bill gets killed along the way (if it hasnt already) well, you have a better chance of waiting for hell to freeze over, it could take years before it comes up again for the senate to vote on...and that one in ohio was supposed to be law by the end of 2007, well, its not law yet, most likely it got hung up on something, or simply pushed to the back burner, but that was proprosed by a state senator i think.

81 months ago

Instead of spreading rumors and hear say, here is a URL from the US Gov. Read it and stop the rumors.

www.bls.gov/oco/ocos252.htm

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.