Who all is using Penn Foster as their school of choice?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 230)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

acewarlock in Parrish, Florida

77 months ago

especially Read this section
(Training, Other Qualifications, and Advancement)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Phish in Somewhere, Wisconsin

77 months ago

acewarlock in Parrish, Florida said: especially Read this section
(Training, Other Qualifications, and Advancement)

what rumors would you like stopped? Your data was last updated on dec of 07.

Here is the bill as it was introduced for those who do not know how to click on links..

Introduced: Feb 26, 2008
Sponsor: Rep. Steven LaTourette [R-OH]
Go to Bill Status Page

You are viewing the following version of this bill:

Introduced in House: This is the original text of the bill as it was written by its sponsor and submitted to the House for consideration.

Text of Legislation
HR 5491 IH

110th CONGRESS

2d Session

H. R. 5491
To amend the Public Health Service Act to authorize grants to States to establish and implement programs for registering pharmaceutical technicians.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

February 26, 2008

Mr. LATOURETTE (for himself, Mr. LYNCH, and Mr. BURTON of Indiana) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Energy and Commerce

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To amend the Public Health Service Act to authorize grants to States to establish and implement programs for registering pharmaceutical technicians.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Pharmacy Technician Training and Registration Act of 2008' or as `Emily's Act'.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.

The Congress finds as follows:

(1) Common pharmacy technician tasks include calling doctors to authorize prescription refills, putting medications into prescription containers, entering prescriptions into computers, typing drug labels, and, in many States, mixing drugs from raw materials, preparing intravenous solutions, and even preparing chemotherapy treatments.

(2) There are few State a

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

well, the text max's out here and I dont have time to copy and paste the rest over and over. If your at all interested in your career it is worth a read.

Just my 2 cents.

77 months ago

That was only 4 months ago and nothing has changed as of today.

Those items you Quoted where just Bills before the House and they didn't pass.

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

77 months ago

acewarlock in Parrish, Florida said: That was only 4 months ago and nothing has changed as of today.

Those items you Quoted where just Bills before the House and they didn't pass.

I am not at all surprised it did not pass, something like this could
financially hurt pharmacies in the years to come. I would not be surprised at all if pharm compaines have lobbiests in washington working
on their side to keep this from passing. all this pretty much started with one infants death, I do not think that is enough to take this to a national level...it actually takes 100's of deaths from a drug to say "you know what, this drug is killing people, lets pull it"
If pharm techs were killing people left and right from mistakes, then
I could see some action over time, but not from one infant...I just
do not think it is enough to make a grand change in laws...

77 months ago

Quote:
what rumors would you like stopped? Your data was last updated on dec of 07.

The Bill failed, why keep bringing it up, it's not law. yes the GOV website was last update 4 month's ago, but it is still accurate because it hasn't changed.

Joe Medina in Denver, Colorado

77 months ago

I am not sure what we mean by "rumor" as the "Emily's Act" or bill was introduced and still needs to go through the legislative process. Introduced bills go first to committees that deliberate, investigate, and revise them before they go to general debate. Granted the majority of bills never make it out of committee and that sometimes the text of one bill is incorporated into another bill, and in those cases the original bill, as it would appear here, would seem to be abandoned.

The cusp of the bill is as follows:

(1) the State prohibits an individual from performing the duties of a pharmaceutical technician in such State unless the individual is registered by the State Board of Pharmacy to perform such duties; and

(2) as minimum requirements for such registration, the State requires the individual--

(A) to have attained a secondary school diploma or its recognized equivalent;

(B) to be certified by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board; and

(C) to have--

(i) attained an associate's degree in pharmacy technology;

(ii) completed a course of training for pharmaceutical technicians accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists; or

(iii) graduated from a school of pharmacy recognized by the State Board of Pharmacy.

With all of the press concerning medication errors, etc., maybe we will see light as far as some sort of criteria other than breathing being required of a Pharmacy Technician. then again maybe not....

But for now, it is still fact.

Realize also that should this pass, grant money will be issued to states who comply with this bill. Now how many states are going to refuse grant money?

Joe Medina, CPhT

Source of info:

www.usatoday.com/money/industries/health/2008-02-24-emily_N.htm

Sarah in Fort Benning, Georgia

77 months ago

Does anyone know if you can use a calculator on the exam? Math has always been somewhat difficult, and without a calculator, I may be screwed!! Thanks a lot,
Sarah

Joe Medina in Anonymous Proxy

77 months ago

Yes a calculator is provided by the testing center if you request it or, with the test being in a computer format, you can use the computer calculator as well. I would suggest getting one from the testing site to use. Realize it will only be a simple calculator that adds, divides, subtracts, multiplies, etc. Good Luck my friend.

Joe Medina, CPhT
www.techlectures.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

Thanks a lot!

Carli in Troy, Michigan

77 months ago

Will there be more than SIMPLE MATH PROBLEMS on the test????

Please advise. I'm still contemplating becoming a PT and needing to get all information from people who have already completed course.

Thanks for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Your question as far as the difficulty level of the calculation aspect for the national exam is dependent on the individual taking the exam. I have an example practice calculations exam on my forum which may help you decide of the difficulty level.

health.groups.yahoo.com/group/techlectures/message/407

You may need to sign up, of which it is free, but it does offer you some insight. Good luck my friend!

Joe Medina, CPhT
www.techlectures.com

Carli in Troy, Michigan

76 months ago

Thank you for your help. I will check out your site. This will be a Second Career for me. What's your opinion as to the availability of JOBS for a RETIREE? Just curious...

Thanks, again.

Chris in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

76 months ago

Roxanne in Sonora, California said: I have only one more test to take. Actually I have looked into everything that is required for me to be become a pharmacy tech. For those of you taking the course..Good for you. Dont listen to anyone thats telling you that you wasted your money. Thats very discouraging. Yeah, you could buy all the study material to take the certification test. Pass and be certified.But guess what..without training you cannot get licensed!!! Duh!! No one is going to hire a technician that cannot be licensed by state. So if your still working towards you goal keep working on it and dont get discouraged. Tommorrow I should be done with my last test. I plan on applying online to take the ptcb test afterwards when im done studying for the test. If anyone wants to ask me questions or anything feel free to hit me up at roxcomp@yahoo.com

You say no one hires without state certification but why have all these people, and from what I heard personally state that pharmacies hire people as techs that are not certified?

76 months ago

I'm currently studying Mosby's Review, and was doing on-line for Penn Foster (putting that on hold for a while), and taking my test in August. I have no other schooling for it, and struggle with the math, does anyone think that Mosby's is enough to study? Or reccomend anything that would really help with the math? Thanks a lot,
Sarah

Bethany in Lake Jackson, Texas

76 months ago

YAY!! I just finished my last test with Penn Foster! At home alone and needed to share it with someone (lucky you lol)! Now on to the PTCB exam in June. Wish me luck! And good luck to y'all still studying modules!

Carli in Southfield, Michigan

76 months ago

CONGRATS BETHANY. Thanks for sharing. This is very encouraging, as I am just starting. How long did it take you to complete Penn?

anonymous in Los Angeles, California

76 months ago

do we need to know ALL of the conversions in the Penn Foster pre-algebra section? even yards and miles? i doubt it but i just wanna make sure

Robert in Orange, Texas

75 months ago

If you want to pass the PTCB the 1st time You should try Passassured, Pharmacy Technician Training Program. The cost is $250. and they have a blue ribbion guarantee. Check out there
web page at www.passassured.com. PassAssured's audio, video, motion graphics, pictures and interactive Testing Module provides the 'best training product' available for Pharmacy Technicians. Internet access is not required for this product.
This is the same program used in many schools to train the next generation of Pharmacy Technicians. Check out ther blue ribbion guarantee. You want need it. If you pass there final you will pass the PTCB exam.

Carli in West Bloomfield, Michigan

75 months ago

Thanks for the information...I will check out site.

JT in Sandusky, Ohio

75 months ago

Joe Medina, I bought your training manual....

Very well done my friend.

Jill in Northridge, California

73 months ago

One thing no one has touched upon is hours. According to CA registration guidelines, one qualifying method is: Any other course that provides a minimum of 240 hours instruction as specified in section 1793.6 (c) of Title 16 of the California Code of Regulations. I contacted a counselor at Penn Foster, and was told that their program is 387.5 hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Arlene in Baltimore, Maryland

73 months ago

@ju

rhonda montgomery in Denton, Texas said: Hi I am on lesson 20. The flashcards should come in your shipment. I really injoy this program. Think about it. We are learning alot more that some that just take the test. It is hard when your get to the math part. I had problems but I made it through it. Good luck in your studies.

What type of math problems are you talking about. I am not good in math at all and it's been 25 years since I graduated College.

angel in Lizella, Georgia

73 months ago

hello arlene im on label preparation lesson. Next will be the math arrgh! I am enjoying this course it does beat just going to take the test.

eric in Concord, California

72 months ago

Jill in Northridge, California said: One thing no one has touched upon is hours. According to CA registration guidelines, one qualifying method is: Any other course that provides a minimum of 240 hours instruction as specified in section 1793.6 (c) of Title 16 of the California Code of Regulations. I contacted a counselor at Penn Foster, and was told that their program is 387.5 hours.

Do you know of any one who has had experience using this course?
I would be great if some one could post to that effect.

Thank you

eric in Concord, California

72 months ago

John in Los Angeles/Las Vegas said: Hey everyone I'm proud everyone here is going become certified but advice to everyone here DO NOT ENROLL IN PENN FOSTER!!!!!! Not only will you waste time you will waste a lot of money. Advice to everyone......Go on PTCB.org and check out the site and get familiar with the site. You don't need any certificates or experience to take the PTCE. I recommend a preparation book from either Barnes & Noble or Borders. I failed the PTCE the first time because honestly, the information that was based in the program in Penn Foster wasn't really relevant with the test. The book I got from Barnes and Noble was more up to date. The book is called Mosby's Review for the PTCB Certification Examination. The books ISBN-13 is 9780323033671. I got the book for around 40 dollars. One more thing to recommend to anyone becoming, trying to become, or/and thinking of becoming a technician, become a member of the NPTA. The National Pharmacy Technician Association offers Continuing Education and also Certificates such as IV and Compounding. Both those classes combined will cost you around $1000 plus expenses because these classes are held in Texas. Now if you go through the traditional school you will pay around $10,000 dollars for all this. If you do it through Penn Foster it will cost you around $600 plus you get a certificate that worth nothing. If anyone needs any more advice or has questions reply back to my comment and I'll try to answer back ASAP.

I wanted to know if the www.pharmacy.ca.gov
california state pharmacy board will accept this certificate to qualify for the 240hrs they mention that need to be taken.
I would use the books to study for the exam but they require this proof to show along w/the internship of 20 hrs(10hrs) as a qualification. there is another course that i can take at brianman college for like 1500$ thats 6 months and prepares you better , but im interested in speeding it up if i can to 2 months.

regar

ANGEL in Clarkston, Georgia

72 months ago

i am doing phar tech thru penn and im learning alot but it has no phar law which is a main part of the test right

Jill in Northridge, California

72 months ago

not sure about whats on the test, except for a lot of formulas. your post is the first mention i have heard in my research about pharm law. perhaps check out the test guide books.

Bethany in Houston, Texas

72 months ago

ANGEL in Clarkston, Georgia said: i am doing phar tech thru penn and im learning alot but it has no phar law which is a main part of the test right

I took Penn Foster course and it covered pharm law just as much as the other books and gave information as to why the laws came to be. Maybe you just haven't rec'vd that module yet.

ANGEL in Atlanta, Georgia

72 months ago

Bethany in Houston, Texas said: I took Penn Foster course and it covered pharm law just as much as the other books and gave information as to why the laws came to be. Maybe you just haven't rec'vd that module yet.

do you remember which module its in im on module 6 thanks

globalservant in Huntington Station, New York

72 months ago

Listen guys, when i set out to take the PTCB exam, i considerd it an important project. Not being financially buoyant restricted me to buying a PTCB CD( 30 Dollars) on e-bay. It contained about 40 chapters. It took me 2 weeks of serious studying to fully grasp the content of the CD.

I simply strolled over to pearson vue and took the exam. I PASSED. And guess what? With a great score.
I got a few tips which could help, though:

1. Maths: About 35-55 % of exam.Set out to solve every math problem you encounter: Flow rates and coversions( many questions on these), alligations(1 or 2 q),selling and cost price, etc...

2 Drugs (generic and trade names): I formed mnemonics which linked genric names to trade names. This made it easy for me to place the drugs, their uses and side effects in a context easy to remember.

3.I had never worked in a pharmacy before. So I sort of studiied the material deeply, and made sure i fully understood what it took to be a PT.

4.I STAYED CALM DURING THE EXAM. Please do not panic. You got 110 mins to answer 90 Questions. You will not know how to answer all the questions. About 10% of the questions do not count towards the final exam. So take it easy, guys, and stay focused.

5. I PRAYED. Ilost nothing by doing that.

VERDICT: IF I COULD DO IT IN 2 WEEKS, WITHOUT EVER TAKING ANY COURSES OR WORKING IN A PHARMACY, SO CAN YOU.

WISH YOU ALL THE BEST, AND REFER YOUR QUESTIONS TO: gcm_usa@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carli in Farmington, Michigan

72 months ago

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR VERY THOROUGH, INFORMATIVE REMARKS. This was very helpful and encouraging. I hope all is going well for you...and you are now gainfully employed!!! If so...perhaps you will share that experience as well. Anyway...GOOD LUCK, and thanks again!

marcy ann in Columbus, Ohio

68 months ago

Okay, I have just read every comment on this forum and really have not found much that is helpful. All there really is is people who like to argue their point and say their way is best. I take that back, there were probably 2 helpful comments and I can't even remember who made them. I am truly considering doing this Pharmacy Tech thing and need to know EXACTLY what I need do to get their. All I see here is take this course with Penn, don't take this course, read this book, don't read this book.
I just want to know what I need to do to be registered or licensed or certified or whatever it is I need to do to get hired somewhere and make a respectable income.
I thought reading all of these would be helpful, but to the contrary, I am now more confused than when I started on this venture.

Carli in Farmington, Michigan

68 months ago

Hi Marcy. Sorry you're feeling such overwhelm, but I do understand. So many different opinions. I have not taken the course myself, but I was seriously considering it. I spoke with a Lead Pharmacy Tech just last week..explained to her what I was considering...and that is to just buy the book from Barnes and Noble, study it, then go apply for Certification/test. She said GREAT!! She encouraged me to do it that way...and save tons of money. Again, I haven't done it yet, but that's what I'm thinking of doing. After all, you have nothing to lose this way except the Cost of the Book and the time you need to Study it. I'm thinking you need to be very self-motivated and disciplined, since this approach is not as structured as going to Penn. It seems they 'hold your hand' more throughout the process. Anyway, there's lots of info on Web that you can research regarding requirements. I'm going to review that myself. Good Luck.

marcy ann in Columbus, Ohio

68 months ago

Thank you for your comment! I think I'm going to go and get a book at B&N that was mentioned, Mosbey's Review and Delmar's PTCB study guide. At least I got a straight answer from someone. Thank you and good luck!

68 months ago

Thank you for your comment! I think I'm going to go and get a book at B&N that was mentioned, Mosbey's Review and Delmar's PTCB study guide. At least I got a straight answer from someone. Thank you and good luck!

---------
Hi Marci,

I would also maybe consider the Tech Lectures Review Manual which has helped thousands in the passing of the national exam and is much more specific to the national exam. Both Mosby and Delmar have good review books, but they do tend to over inundate one with lots of information, though good, is not really part of the national exam. Another great aspect of the Tech Lectures Review Manual is that it offers FREE email support on any question or concern you may have during your studies. You will not see that in any other Review book, including Mosby or Demar books.

Just something to consider.

Regards

Joe Medina, CPhT
www.techlectures.com

Tech Lectures is one of the Pharmacy Technicians best kept secrets...but we can change that!

slinkygirl in Northridge, California

68 months ago

Well, here is my opinion. The goal is to be able to pass the PTCB test, because that allows you to get licensed (at least in my state).

If you have good math and science skills, then perhaps you can try just the book and save yourself some cash. If you are not sure you can learn what is required that way, perhaps try a more formal method such as the Penn Foster course.

I personally like the course because the study units really help you focus and not feel overwhelmed (it is a lot of info)... but I will say that the course does have a lot of common sense and basic overview kind of stuff that seems like filler sometimes. Still seems worth it to me so far.

Elaine in Piscataway, New Jersey

67 months ago

I worked for a retail chain, they sent me to classes they taught 1 day a week for 3 months. I learned enough to pass the test. That was in 2005. I would highly recommend going to school if you want to do more as a pharmacy tech other then just retail. If you would like to work in a hospital and/or compounding pharmacy....please, please go to school. I also agree learn the math frontwards, backwards, sideways...just learn it, it's the most important part of your job. Libraries do carry the books for the math.

Jileigh in New Orleans, Louisiana

67 months ago

I have just signed up for the Penn Foster Pharm Tech program. I am confused about gaining experience and hours in a pharmacy setting. When I complete the program and pass the PTCB test, will I still need to gain experience in an actual clinic to register as a certified Pharm Tech? Am I allowed to work in a Pharmacy (Walgreens) while completing the coursework?

Basically, why do community colleges and some other online programs incorporate clinical experience in their program? Am I missing out?

For those in Louisiana, is Penn Foster approved by the LABP? Or is it just about passing the test to gain candidate registration and begin work?

Thank you for reading and "hopefully" responding to all of my questions!

angel in Fort Benning, Georgia

66 months ago

one you do not have to go to school to be able to take the test. I learnd that the hard way. They dont tell you that

Linda in Houston, Texas

66 months ago

I have been reading everything and don't feel I have gotten any help. I have not started Penn Foster, but I am thinking about it. I am a mother of 3, and have not worked in 5 years. So, I feel I need some kind of education to help me become a Pharmacy Technician. Also, I think employer's will look down on someome who has no prior experience or education in pharmacy. But, I would like someone's opinion on my situation. Maybe I am wrong, so will someone please reply back.

jillcatherine in North Hills, California

66 months ago

I am a mother and have always worked as an office manager of some sort. I wanted to expand my skills so I could be more marketable when I decide to start working full time. Even though everyone says you dont need school and you can just get a review book, I have found the Penn Foster course very rewarding. I don't feel rushed, I do feel rewarded, and I now I can put down on my resume that not only am I certified (once I am!) but that I also have an educational background. As someone who has done hiring, I think it makes a big difference when comparing resumes.

born loser in Sacramento, California

66 months ago

check this out i read all the stuff on this forum 6 months ago. Didnt have the money to take this course and the economy took a nose dive. I called up my state pharmacy board and they said i didnt need a degree in anything to take this ptcb test. I studied all the books made my flash cards and took the test and passed.

I check out the 2 book recommended from Mosby's: Pharmacy Technician: Principles & Practice ; and their Math book.

Im on my to a new job and career now . Dont pay the money!

good luck!

Carli in Birmingham, Michigan

66 months ago

Wow!! Very encouraging. Thanks for the Post. Let us know when you get HIRED!!!

64 months ago

Just following the lead as:

check this out i read all the stuff on this forum 6 months ago. Didnt have the money to take this course and the economy took a nose dive. I called up my state pharmacy board and they said i didnt need a degree in anything to take this ptcb test. I studied all the books made my flash cards and took the test and passed.

I check out the 2 book recommended from Mosby's: Pharmacy Technician: Principles & Practice ; and their Math book.

Im on my to a new job and career now . Dont pay the money!

good luck!

-----------

FSU Grad in Newnan, Georgia

64 months ago

angel in Fort Benning, Georgia said: one you do not have to go to school to be able to take the test. I learnd that the hard way. They dont tell you that

Hi Angel,
What school did you end up going to? If you had it to do over again, would you go to school or just try to pass the exam? Have you found anywhere to work? Did you take your exam in Atlanta or Columbus? Thanks for your help. :0)

jilly in Shreveport, Louisiana

64 months ago

I have both the Mosby's Pharmacy Technician Principles & Practice AND Mosby's Review for the PTCB.

My question is: How do you narrow down all of the drugs to make flash cards for the PTCB? Should I look at the most recent Top 200 Drugs list?

Thank you & good luck to all.

butterfly in Port Orchard, Washington

64 months ago

Some states such as Washington require a training program to become licensed to work as a pharmacy technician since Jan. 1st 2009. That is why I am enrolling in Penn Foster.

64 months ago

Do they require the training or do they require the Certificate, you don't need the training the take the Test for Certification.

butterfly in Port Orchard, Washington

64 months ago

acewarlock in Parrish, Florida said: Do they require the training or do they require the Certificate, you don't need the training the take the Test for Certification.

Washington State Credentialing Requirements
Pharmacy Technician (Chapter 18.64A RCW)
Type of Credential: Certification
Credentialing Requirements
Graduation from a Board of Pharmacy approved program

-------------

National Standardized Examination for Pharmacy Technician Certification:
January 1, 2009, applicants for first-time pharmacy technician (PT) credential will have new requirements. The Board of Pharmacy adopted rules to require PT applicants to pass a board-approved national standardized exam. Individuals issued a pharmacy technician credential before 2009 will not need to meet the new standards. All PT applicants will still need to complete a pharmacy technician training program approved by the board.

Chapter 246-901 WAC

Pharmacy Technician exam(s) accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) meets the new exam prerequisite for credentialing in Washington State.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.