Who all is using Penn Foster as their school of choice?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 243 of 243)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5   

john in Casper, Wyoming

52 months ago

David Scurlock in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: in my opinion you wasted your money as i did when i paid 10 grand to go to school, a 1 1/2 later, im still not working. You could have gotten a decent $30/$40 pharmacy book, I think there is a pharmacy tech kit online somewhere for $40 and has the 200 flashcards, and do you really think you can remember 200 flashcards? or 200 top drug names? at least your only down $500 and no job, im down $10,000 and no job after 1 1/2 years.

To be functional as a Technician, you had better be able to memorize those 200 as a starting point! I am a hospital Pharmacy Director checking out penn foster to see if it prepares students. I require a degree AND a CPht to be hired. So, it depends what kind of job you want.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tabatha in Indianapolis, Indiana

51 months ago

I am currently living in Indiana but want to relocate to Florida. I thought that you really just need to take the test to be certified, but taking a class would make that easier. The Penn Foster site says: "(The states of Florida, Indiana, Nevada, North Dakota, South Carolina, Utah, and Washington will not consider the training received in this program adequate to fulfill pharmacy technician credentialing requirements." What else would I need to do to get certified in either IN or FL if I take this course?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

pgalvan in Chicago, Illinois

50 months ago

Do u know if Illinois accredits Penn Foster Pharmacy Tech program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

bebee.jennifer in Baytown, Texas

49 months ago

I am enrolled in the Medical Assistant Program through Penn Foster.. It is not all online.. They send new books every course you have!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Gardnerville, Nevada

49 months ago

Some states require that pharmacy technicians go through certain approved schools for training. Some states require nothing. Each state is different. The Penn Foster training is designed to prepare grads for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) certification exam. PTCB certification is mandatory in 13 states and an alternative in another 13 states- meaning you can get PTCB certified or ______. pharmtechtraining.net/state-requirements.html has a nice chart that lists each state's requirements.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

leeblck22 in Newark, Delaware

41 months ago

I got my pharmacy technician career diploma from Penn Foster Career School in October. I got good grades and passed the PTCB exam in December. So, I am currently certified as a pharmacy technician. I completed an online program so that I could learn at my own pace and learn everything as well as I could, so that I would be adequately prepared for the job. I did learn a lot, but this online program was a huge mistake. I tried to do the 200 hour work experience option that Penn Foster provides, but no pharmacy would let me in. Penn Foster provided NO hands on job training and NO networking opportunities with employers in your area. Two things you have to have in order to compete for a job. The competition out there is tough!

To get a job these days, networking is key! You have to know the right people to get your foot in the door. The job market for pharmacy technicians (and pharmacists) has become extremely saturated over the last several years, and more so every year. More and more schools have popped up over the last several years, more and more people have enrolled. There's just not enough jobs for this huge demand.

The supply of jobs is not keeping up with even half of the increased demand. There's a lot of certified and experienced pharmacy technicians out there competing for jobs! Even though I live in Delaware, every pharmacy I’ve applied to is only interested in technicians who are both certified and EXPERIENCED. NO ONE wants to give any new, untrained technicians a chance. Especially ones that have taken an online program. The reason why companies don't is because they don't have to! Why would they hire a new pharmacy technician who has never stepped foot in a pharmacy? When there are 50 other applicants who are also certified AND have 2-5 years of experience?

If you still want to be a pharmacy technician, make sure you have a way in if you get certified. Find someone that says they will definitely hire you IF you go out and get certified!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

leeblck22 in Newark, Delaware

41 months ago

Before signing up for any pharmacy technician school, contact one of the recruiting agencies (that help pharmacists and pharmacy technicians find jobs) you can contact one of them to talk about career outlooks and job opportunities for new pharmacy techs.

Ask whether an online program, or a program at your local community college would be the best fit for you. They will answer all of your questions.

www.maximstaffing.com

www.pharmatechstaff.com

www.dakotamedtemps.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Atheana in Berkeley, California

40 months ago

I am thinking about doing PennFoster for Phar. Tech... But, does the requirements meet the board of pharm in California?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Atheana in Berkeley, California

40 months ago

anonymous in Tuolumne, California said: Yeah, I agree with the comment above. I finished the program with penn foster two months ago. Its a really worthwhile course to take. It may not be as cheap as the other site listed but I know that penn foster is accredited by the ASHP: american society of health system pharmacy which in some states that means you can already apply for your license without getting certified. But Im not saying that taking the ptcb is something anyone should blow off. If your certified your recognized nationally and if your just licensed your only recognized by your state. But my point here is that penn foster is accredited in the right area and it is a great program for independent studying.

so seeing you are in ca. penn foster is a legit school as a pharm tech for the state of ca?

Joe Medina, CPhT in Denver, Colorado

40 months ago

Penn Foster is NOT ASHP Accredited. This is a fact, no maybe they are...they are not.

Not bursting bubbles, but Tech Lectures is offering a national award winning Study Packet for the national exam for only $120.00 with free email support. Not a bad deal especially when their guarantee is the same as Penn Foster's as far as passing the national exam ...

www.tlectures.com/reviewpacket.html

Joe Medina, CPhT

This posting is meant to inform you of an alternative or a supplement to those who use Penn Foster.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

shrimathi ravikumar in Sulphur, Louisiana

34 months ago

hi,I am was searching about penn foster to join pharmacy technician course but then I saw your post and stopped. your advice seems to mean that, one doesnot have to enroll in any college degree to write and pass PCTB exam. I am in washington state and it requires an approved training course + 4 hourse of AIDS training to be completed. so how do I go through these training without enrolling in a program at an university?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shrimathi ravikumar in Sulphur, Louisiana

34 months ago

John in Los Angeles/Las Vegas
67 months ago

hi,I am was searching about penn foster to join pharmacy technician course but then I saw your post and stopped. your advice seems to mean that, one doesnot have to enroll in any college degree to write and pass PCTB exam. I am in washington state and it requires an approved training course + 4 hourse of AIDS training to be completed. so how do I go through these training without enrolling in a program at an university?

Indie_One in Wichita, Kansas

32 months ago

Does anyone have an opinion on Penn Foster’s Business Management Associate Degree program?

Caley in Mount Pleasant, Michigan

31 months ago

john in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: You actually made two false statements:

first off, you do not need to go to school to get certified.
second off, not all states require you to be certified to work.

It would be nice if the govt would mandate a 2 year schooling, you
would see all those useless online pharmacy tech classes disappear as they would not be able to meet govt requirements, and yes, they are useless, you can train yourself to take the PTCE, people do it
every single day, this type of schooling does not impress anyone,
they carry 0 weight, I only consider them prep classes to take
the exam, they carry no weight what-so-ever.

But wouldn't they help for someone who isn't self motivated enough to buy one book read it and take the test? and yes I am self motivated enough to finish classes online.

angty in Panama City, Florida

29 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: if the bill gets killed along the way (if it hasnt already) well, you have a better chance of waiting for hell to freeze over, it could take years before it comes up again for the senate to vote on...and that one in ohio was supposed to be law by the end of 2007, well, its not law yet, most likely it got hung up on something, or simply pushed to the back burner, but that was proprosed by a state senator i think.

Is Penn Foster even accredited in Florida?

Thomas in North Richland Hills, Texas

29 months ago

meggie in Morgantown, West Virginia said: You guys do know that in some states you ARE required to have some form of approved schooling,right? I could be wrong but Im almost positive. Also, could anyone tell me exactly what I need to do to become a certified tech in my state. Everything I have researched hasnt been very exact.

Go to this website - there's info on fulfilling the CPhT requirements

Thomas in North Richland Hills, Texas

29 months ago

Thomas in North Richland Hills, Texas said: Go to this website - there's info on fulfilling the CPhT requirements

I meant to add the link for West Virginia www.wvbop.com/

AJ076 in Independence, Missouri

26 months ago

thanks for that info I now believe penn foster is the way to go , if you want to do this field online course. I had my doubt ,but now I see it the right way and it on your own pace,as well.

Joe Medina, CPhT, BS Pharmacy in Denver, Colorado

26 months ago

Want to be a certified Pharmacy Technician?

conta.cc/SLGnMK

Why pay so much when you can teach yourself for so very little?

Oh, they offer free email support as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PTCBEASY in Watsonville, California

24 months ago

If you are struggling passing the PTCB exam or scared need that
extra assurance, you are not alone! I have been there! I'm happy
to help! I noticed many books out there make it harder than it needs to be! You don't need a tutor! You don't need to spend 10k for a school or 2k for one of those online schools. All you need is the right tools to pass the exam! I spent countless hours of hard sweat work to find the right tools that made it easy to understand. I passed the PTCB exam with flying colors on the first attempt!

Please email me at ptcbeasy@gmail.com
or visit www.ebay.com/usr/wavelightthesmiths

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tilo Atx

24 months ago

Do you need a certified teacher to do this online like to be next to you or on camera while I do my work

Momo in Saint Paul, Minnesota

23 months ago

I finished my Penn Foster's program. Honestly, I thought it was informative although prior to taking it, I was a Pharmacy Associate. I just find it helpful rather than reading a book and knowing your medications. In this case, it gives you more of a thorough description and information on what to expect in the Pharmacy. You got to agree paying $600 through online (Penn Foster) is better than $8,000+ too.

I used to think schooling is a waste a money and I still agree to a certain extent. And when I say a certain extent, I mean if you decide you want to further your career, THEN schooling comes into play, such as Pharmacist.

In my case, I took it say I had some type of schooling which can be a plus knowing employers do not need to spend more $ on training but rather to better train you in certain tasks they do at that location. And for in any case, if I need a job if things dont fall into place, this can be my backup. I dont believe in spending a ton of $ on this as I can say I am currently working at a job that pays me better even if I were to start as a Pharmacy Tech WITH experience. That's all in my opinion. Good luck to all! :)

Btanggg in Visalia, California

21 months ago

Hello everyone.
I've been looking into becoming a Pharmacy Tech. I was curious to know how the Penn Foster Course was?
I'm not interested in just buying a book and taking the test. Books are boring, and I won't learn anything from it. I will pay to actually learn something other than stare at a book for hours on end.

Other than that if you have any other recommendations for online schooling to become a Pharmacy Tech. perferably the same price range as Penn Foster that seem to be just as good.

Thank you for your time!

Dan in Peoria, Illinois

5 months ago

JohnS in Edina, Minnesota said: school waste of money, online waste of money...

go to amazon and find you a good pharmacy book that
covers a lot of math..know your math, 40-60% of your
test could easily be math.

go to yahoo groups, and look for groups on PTCB,
PTCE, Pharmacy tech, etc...

I think if you get all your math correct, and answer some
common sense questions on the test, and you may get
lucky and get some correct that you may not know,
overall, I think you would pass the test.

I am in Penn Foster Pharmacy Tech Program in an externship at walgreen's in Illinois. Buying a book & studying will not get you a license in Illinois. You have to go through a school program weather in person or online.

Dan in Peoria, Illinois

5 months ago

Btanggg in Visalia, California said: Hello everyone.
I've been looking into becoming a Pharmacy Tech. I was curious to know how the Penn Foster Course was?
I'm not interested in just buying a book and taking the test. Books are boring, and I won't learn anything from it. I will pay to actually learn something other than stare at a book for hours on end.

Other than that if you have any other recommendations for online schooling to become a Pharmacy Tech. perferably the same price range as Penn Foster that seem to be just as good.

Thank you for your time!

Iv'e been in the program at Penn Foster for almost 2 weeks & everything, has been fine so far. Good luck in your studies!

Dan in Peoria, Illinois

5 months ago

David Scurlock in Eden Prairie, Minnesota said: in my opinion you wasted your money as i did when i paid 10 grand to go to school, a 1 1/2 later, im still not working. You could have gotten a decent $30/$40 pharmacy book, I think there is a pharmacy tech kit online somewhere for $40 and has the 200 flashcards, and do you really think you can remember 200 flashcards? or 200 top drug names? at least your only down $500 and no job, im down $10,000 and no job after 1 1/2 years.

Sorry you had a hard time getting hired. I tried what you suggest with buying a pharmacy book, but that doesn't fly here in Illinois. Illinois license Pharmacy Techs. When I applied for licensing, I was told I had to complete an approved program, pass the PTCB exam, then Illinois would license me. I know Minnesota does not license Pharmacy Techs. You should be more careful about suggesting buying a book & flashcards. Most states regulate & license Pharmacy Techs. I am currently in Penn Foster's program & love it!

Dan in Peoria, Illinois

5 months ago

anonymous in Los Angeles, California said: Penn Foster is NOT accredited by the American Society of Health -System Pharmacists (ASHP). I spoke to a Penn Foster student representative myself to ask this particular question, and the website only indicates that only their faculty are members of ASHP. However, Penn Foster itself is not accredited with ASHP as a school. This is a HUGE difference. Please take this into consideration.

Penn Foster is extremely informative and somewhat useful, but if you want to save money, just buy a PTCB book and study it to take the test. You don't need schooling to take the PCTB exam.

Again, I have to say, Most states require some training program in order to be licensed if you are in a state that requires Pharmacy Techs to be licensed. Pay no attention to folks that say just study for the PTCB exam. Research your particular state to see if you have to provide proof of schooling/training in order to be licensed.

Dan in Peoria, Illinois

5 months ago

anonymous in Los Angeles, California said: Only pharmacists, not pharmacy techs, get licensed. Pharmacy techs only get certified by taking the PTCB exam or get registered. You can look this up on the federal bureau of statistics. If you are taking Penn Foster pharmacy tech classes, it also verifies this fact in the Module 1 lesson plan, "The Profession of Pharmacy. Some employers do look for people who have been formally trained. Penn Foster is not an accredited program that executes formal training. A school must be accredited by the American Society of Health -System Pharmacists (ASHP) to be able to formally train pharmacy techs. Penn Foster is not accredited by the ASHP, their faculty is merely affiliated with this association. Penn Foster only informs you about the pharmacy tech career and prepares you for the the PTCB exam, which some other books can do for a cheaper price.

In Illinois, to be a Pharmacy tech, you MUST be certified and you MUST be licensed as a Pharmacy Tech by the state of Illinois.

Dan in Peoria, Illinois

5 months ago

gailsieber@*****.*** in Blue Island, Illinois said: Unless they have changed their format, Penn Foster does not offer an internship program!! I was also told that thay would assist in job placement. That's not true, and I don't know about this book you are referring to because I never got it. I completed my assignments, took my exams and got my certificate. I personally would not recommend this school. They lie!! There is no assistance offered to help you prepare for the national board exam.

Penn foster now has an externship program with CVS & Walgreen's.

Joe Medina, CPhT, BS Pharmacy in San Antonio, Texas

4 months ago

Supplement your Penn Foster Progam with:

Our Pharm Tech Review Study Packet only $45 is selling out fast. It has won two national awards, is UPDATED to meet ALL NEW National Exam guidelines. Contains Review Manual specific to national exam and 390 Practice Exam Questions similar in format to the national exam. Have helped thousands pass the national exam. Can we offer more? Yes, we offer free email support as well ... no one does that! www.tlectures.com/reviewmanual.html

Sandhya60 in Redding, California

4 months ago

I too used pennfoster...but I dont like the manditory internship, (I already work in the healthcare industry) and frankly...I need to get my money back! I work in a busy healthcare (Large hospital) environment and I am semi retired... here I am now externing *Which I PAID TO DO. with all of the requirements of backgrounds etc.

I have to tell you, first off, I am probably older than everyone here. I am training for after retirement. I started my externship and (I am an instructor in technical subjects) so I know what I speak....

The retail pharmacy I am at is understaffed.....and the first day of my externship (which I paid for to do ) put me right to work, second day..same thing, and I still have had no formal training on the computer system. Needless to say I am going to be demanding money back from my school or tell them give me the DAMN certificate.

I already work in the health care industry and we are short staffed there too.. Cannot learn pharmacy under these circumstances. So if you are sad, confused, stressed, you should be and the retail pharmacy job market is a joke in what they pay you. YES you are not hallucinating!

4 months ago

Dan in Peoria, Illinois said: Penn foster now has an externship program with CVS & Walgreen's.

actually they do..and I think they made it mandatory, but I am going to fight that. I am not interested in going to a retail pharmacy that is understaffed, and paying for that privileged.

Katt in Villa Park, Illinois

2 months ago

Dan in Peoria, Illinois said: In Illinois, to be a Pharmacy tech, you MUST be certified and you MUST be licensed as a Pharmacy Tech by the state of Illinois.

Hey Dan, I just moved to Illinois and recently talked to a PennFoster rep. to enroll into their Pharmacy Tech. program.

How is that going with you? Seeing all these comments are kind of discouraging but since you're actually in Illinois, I think your opinion would be the most relevant.

Dan in Peoria, Illinois

2 months ago

Hi there! So far I am doing well with the Penn Foster program. I am getting ready to get the ball rolling on my externship. I am in the process of getting my titers, drug test, Criminal background check, & will be applying for my Illinois Pharmacy Tech license so I can do the mandatory externship. I'm planning to get my externship done at Walgreens. From what I get from the IL Board of Pharmacy, I need a license to do my externship. Since there is only one school where I live (Peoria) that offers Pharmacy tech for $22,000 & that school does not offer financial aid for the course, which is why I chose Penn Foster. Good luck in your studies!!

2 months ago

Dan in Peoria, Illinois said: Hi there! So far I am doing well with the Penn Foster program. I am getting ready to get the ball rolling on my externship. I am in the process of getting my titers, drug test, Criminal background check, & will be applying for my Illinois Pharmacy Tech license so I can do the mandatory externship. I'm planning to get my externship done at Walgreens. From what I get from the IL Board of Pharmacy, I need a license to do my externship. Since there is only one school where I live (Peoria) that offers Pharmacy tech for $22,000 & that school does not offer financial aid for the course, which is why I chose Penn Foster. Good luck in your studies!!

Thanks for the reply!

So, doing the actual program you would suggest it to another? I get very skeptical when it comes to things online. Have you talked to other pharmacies that would honor Penn Foster to be hired?

2 months ago

Okay, now I have to preface this with the fact I know what anyone says negative or positive is filled with great responsibility...So please take with a grain of salt.
I signed up for Pennfoster, good price. then got up and ready for the externship. FIRST..I have to disclose I already work in the healthcare industry, so the material was very very easy for me. SECOND....you have to put out MORE money for the "Opportunity?" to extern. NUMBER ONE; You can get a job in a commercial pharmacy as a clerk and they will train you. You dont have to go through all of this to learn how to get a job in pharmacy.THIRD'I didnt like that the cost of externing was not attached to the curricullum and the cost of the course. The background, health exam etc..tack on another 100 bucks.
FOURTH..I took vacation from my job to complete the externship.
FIFTH..I already make double what the commercial pharmacy techs make. I would not go into it if I already have a career. Commercial (CVS /Walgreens) techs only make a buck or two more than the clerks in the store.
So this is fine for the young person who is just learning a job skill or trade. Don't get me wrong!
SIXTH..when completing I submitted everything, evaluations and everything, only to find out they made a new evaluation form for the pharmacy to fill out on you...I AM NOW REFUSING to go back and get the other form filled out. I submitted in good faith the form that was given to me on the system when I signed up for the class..
END RESULT? They are looking into it, and my certificate of completion is being held up because of their change in evaluation form. I need my completion to get my money back from my educational fund BEFORE I RETIRE. End result, good if you are young to get a job skill.

2 months ago

Sandhya60 in Redding, California said: Okay, now I have to preface this with the fact I know what anyone says negative or positive is filled with great responsibility...So please take with a grain of salt.
I signed up for Pennfoster, good price. then got up and ready for the externship. FIRST..I have to disclose I already work in the healthcare industry, so the material was very very easy for me. SECOND....you have to put out MORE money for the "Opportunity?" to extern. NUMBER ONE; You can get a job in a commercial pharmacy as a clerk and they will train you. You dont have to go through all of this to learn how to get a job in pharmacy.THIRD'I didnt like that the cost of externing was not attached to the curricullum and the cost of the course. The background, health exam etc..tack on another 100 bucks.
FOURTH..I took vacation from my job to complete the externship.
FIFTH..I already make double what the commercial pharmacy techs make. I would not go into it if I already have a career. Commercial (CVS /Walgreens) techs only make a buck or two more than the clerks in the store.
So this is fine for the young person who is just learning a job skill or trade. Don't get me wrong!
SIXTH..when completing I submitted everything, evaluations and everything, only to find out they made a new evaluation form for the pharmacy to fill out on you...I AM NOW REFUSING to go back and get the other form filled out. I submitted in good faith the form that was given to me on the system when I signed up for the class..
END RESULT? They are looking into it, and my certificate of completion is being held up because of their change in evaluation form. I need my completion to get my money back from my educational fund BEFORE I RETIRE. End result, good if you are young to get a job skill.

Also....you can take the PTCB in allot of states without a certificate, just use study books. I did and I passed. Find out from your state if you can just take the PTCB!

2 months ago

Sandhya60 in Redding, California said: Also....you can take the PTCB in allot of states without a certificate, just use study books. I did and I passed. Find out from your state if you can just take the PTCB!

You dont need to take classes, when pharmacys will train you and some will also pay for you to take the ptcb.

Dan in Peoria, Illinois

2 months ago

Sandhya60 in Redding, California said: You dont need to take classes, when pharmacys will train you and some will also pay for you to take the ptcb.

Not in Illinois you can't. The state of Illinois REQUIRES Pharmacy Technicians to take some sort of training program. Training under a Pharmacist IS NOT AN OPTION IN ILLINOIS!!!

Dan in Peoria, Illinois

2 months ago

The sate of Illinois does not accept training under a pharmacist.

1 month ago

Thanks so much for the response guys, I really appreciate this!
I think I'm just going to enroll through an online course, It's the most convenient for me. I'm still pretty skeptical but in all, I think taking some kind of training program will be better than just studying with books I picked out myself. I've done it once and I can admit I wasted my time and money. Although, I do thank you for the advice and the information.

Dan in Peoria, Illinois

1 month ago

Katt in Villa Park, Illinois said: Thanks so much for the response guys, I really appreciate this!
I think I'm just going to enroll through an online course, It's the most convenient for me. I'm still pretty skeptical but in all, I think taking some kind of training program will be better than just studying with books I picked out myself. I've done it once and I can admit I wasted my time and money. Although, I do thank you for the advice and the information.

I too was about to buy books & study for the PTCB exam, but that's when I called the Illinois Board of Pharmacy & they told me Illinois requires some sort of training program (School) & PTCB exam is preferred to be licensed in Illinois. The people saying to just buy a book are scammers & have no Idea what they are talking about.

1 month ago

Ahhhhh, your information makes this decision a lot more soothing. Any other advice you're willing to pass on to me? :) I know, retail pharmacy is probably easier to get hired into, but I really want to work in an inpatient pharmacy. What are your thoughts on that? Have you ever worked in an inpatient pharmacy? Also, How do you like your current pharmacy job?

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.