what kind of questions appear in PTCB?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

kat in Kissimmee, Florida

51 months ago

hello. ill be taking the exam couple of months from now. just wanna know what kind of questions usually appear in the exam? so many topics in the book i bought, Mosby's Review for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination, i dont know where to focus. i do no have any training at any school or pharmacy. thank you so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Cm2184 in Mason, Ohio

51 months ago

Hi Kat,

I just took my exam in April and I felt the same way. I was confused regarding which book to invest in with everything I need. I read infinite reviews and invested in books (in which I found out later) that I had to buy additional books, etc. Anyways, I found this website that was recommended to by one of the Pharmacists that I work with. www.pharmacytechnicianstore.com/ I bought this book and it had absoulutely everything I needed including flash cards and online practice courses. It is organized and designed (by a pharmacist) from front to back. It specifically says to start from the first page and don't try to skip ahead. It has practice exams after each chapter/section and a final exam in the end. GET THIS BOOK! I bought the Mosby's book and it was helpful, but you will find that it doesn't have everything you need.

Regarding the exam--there are a few different subjects picked randomly such as:"Assisting the Pharmacist" "Working within a Hospital" or "Pharmacy Math" I don't know the specifics but when I received my certification, my results were broken up to show my score within each subject. Don't focus too much on the laws(specifics) but you WILL have to know what each law stands for and this statement "THE MORE STRINGENT LAW WINS" REMEMBER and focus on the math formulas. You WILL use them and have to recognize which formula to apply to the problem. You will be given a calculator and a laminated notebook to write on with a dry erase pen(where i tested anyways). Any questions, let me know. I love my job as a Pharmacy Technician will be willing to help you with any questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cm2184 in Mason, Ohio

51 months ago

Oh, the math isn't as hard as it seems =] Don't stress!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cm2184 in Mason, Ohio

51 months ago

No, you don't have to buy the book :) I just found that the book I suggested was the MOST helpful and CONSUMER reviews were what attracted me to this book.

-The math seems hard, but it really isn't. The crazy thing is I didn't use the formula that they said to use for the conversions. I did it my own way and it still worked. Ask yourself how you would get the answer and try your own way of figuring it out. The key is first memorizing these conversions: Also, know the difference between GRAMS(g) or (gm)
and GRAINS (gr)

These are EXTREMELY important to remember: These are the BASIC and most commonly used conversions between all 3 systems of measurement:

1 tsp = 5 mL 1 gm = 15.4 gr(GRAINS)
1 tbsp = 15 mL 1 GR = 64.8 mg
1 oz = 30 mL 1 kg = 2.2 lb
1 pt = 480 mL 1 lb = 454 gm
1 G(gallon) = 3,840 mL 1 oz = 30 gm

Memorize these and understand the systems of measurement BEFORE you try to figure out how to do conversions. *Just an FYI, the "Metric System" is the most commonly used system in the pharmacy. However, the "Apothecary System" is the same system we use at home for cooking. **Also, lbs in the "Avoirdupois System" are DIFFERENT than in the "Apothecary System" "Avoirdupois" System is one of the oldest measurement systems which are part of Pharmacy heritage, BUT rarely used :) I hope I didn't confuse you! DON'T give up and don't get discouraged! I would love to help you out..Let me know if you have ANY questions. I am a Pharmacy Technician and I have lots of experience, so feel free to ask :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No Reply - Report abuse

houston90 in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

@ Cm2184...all of your posts have been very helpful! thanks...I am taking the exam about 10 days and here is what i did so far, please let me if this is good enough or i should add something else too

1) Calculation (Conversions, percentage & solutions questions, proportions, dilution, childrens doses)
2) Pharmacy law ( important acts, etc)
3) Scheduled drugs
4) Most of the top 200 drugs ( generic & trade names,& classifications)
5)Equipment ( Laminar flow hood, biological safety cabinets)
6) Routes & formulations
7) Some info on Parenterals
8) Some info on compounding
9)Drug Interactions ( some common ones...Warfarin, aspirin?)
10) Basics on inventory, claims,financial aspects, retail math)

Oh and thanks for all your help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kat in Kissimmee, Florida

50 months ago

thank you so much for your help people:) and houston90, good luck on your exam:) im taking the exam about mid august.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brynda in Oregon, Missouri

50 months ago

Cpht_01 in bolingbrook, Illinois said: ptcb exam prep books for sell provided and sponsored by Amazon. with book details and customer reviews...visit pharmacy rx by crystal zamudio

thanks

(pharmacy rx by crystal zamudio) I this a website?? I googled and can't find it at all...plz help :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cpht_01 in bolingbrook, Illinois

50 months ago

type "pharmacy rx by crystal zamudio"
i would type the site's address but it seems like indeed wont allow me to do that

Nishaa

46 months ago

Actually i bought pharmacy tecnician book third edition...is thus book helpful plzz replyy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lola390 in Paterson, New Jersey

30 months ago

I took the PTCB yesterday and failed.My test was mostly math including:Intravenous (IV) dosage Calculations,IV Flow Rate,Concentration Percentages,Body Surface Area. Few questions about chemotherapy drugs and law.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

LB in Evanston, Illinois

30 months ago

Download the "prescription trivia" app to your android to help you learn your medications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

rae in Baltimore, Maryland

24 months ago

I took the test Sept 19th. Failed. There were questions on there that I had no clue about. Didn't see them in any studying nor in four months of school. There wad math and drug related questions fhae to wait 60 days to retake. I don'twant to wait that long and wish I knew why it is so long to do this exam again. If anyone knows, please let me know..thanks. I aced school so I'm a little mad at myself for not passing this exam the first time out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rae in Baltimore, Maryland

24 months ago

Few errors in my last post. What one line was meant to read is ....there was math and drug names for sure. Now I have to wait sixty days to retake. I should have known more drug related questions....the generic names and what they do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Renee Henterly in Barberton, Ohio

11 months ago

Cm2184 in Mason, Ohio said: Hi Kat,

I just took my exam in April and I felt the same way. I was confused regarding which book to invest in with everything I need. I read infinite reviews and invested in books (in which I found out later) that I had to buy additional books, etc. Anyways, I found this website that was recommended to by one of the Pharmacists that I work with. www.pharmacytechnicianstore.com/ I bought this book and it had absoulutely everything I needed including flash cards and online practice courses. It is organized and designed (by a pharmacist) from front to back. It specifically says to start from the first page and don't try to skip ahead. It has practice exams after each chapter/section and a final exam in the end. GET THIS BOOK! I bought the Mosby's book and it was helpful, but you will find that it doesn't have everything you need.

Regarding the exam--there are a few different subjects picked randomly such as:"Assisting the Pharmacist" "Working within a Hospital " or "Pharmacy Math" I don't know the specifics but when I received my certification, my results were broken up to show my score within each subject. Don't focus too much on the laws(specifics) but you WILL have to know what each law stands for and this statement "THE MORE STRINGENT LAW WINS" REMEMBER and focus on the math formulas. You WILL use them and have to recognize which formula to apply to the problem. You will be given a calculator and a laminated notebook to write on with a dry erase pen(where i tested anyways). Any questions, let me know. I love my job as a Pharmacy Technician will be willing to help you with any questions.

Is there any way you can help me? I took a cert corse passed a+ signed up to take exam in oct 13 I'm so scared I am horrible in math what do I do?

Leah R in Essex Junction, Vermont

5 months ago

Hi, I'm a pharmacist, and I have been working with a publisher about developing a REALLY user friendly guide for the PTCE. As part of the interview process they want to see a sample of my writing. The topic is the Compounding Section of the PTCE sterile and non-sterile. Can someone, anyone, tell me what skills you were required to know? Anything that threw you regarding compounding? Any suggestions of into I could explain or should include?

I'd really appreciate a response. My email is: Leahsgarden@gmail.com Just use the subject: PTCE Compounding

Thanks VERY much,

Preston D in Richmond, Virginia

5 months ago

I'll try to address as many questions as possible with this post. I've worked as a Pharmacy Technician for 14 years, and taught Pharmacology for 4 years.

Earlier this year, my colleagues and I launched a website: www.RxTechExam.com
We provide a completely online course, that is both self-paced and moderated by Pharmacy Technician Instructors and Pharmacists.

In my experience, the Math associated with the Pharmacy Technician Exam is the toughest obstacle for most applicants. RxTechExam's course offers step by step instructions on exactly how to solve all of the Pharmacological Calculations that are tested by the Pharmacy Technician Exam.

In addition to Pharmacy Math, it's very important that you review the major principles of pharmacology, dosage forms, DEA scheduling, anatomy and physiology, interpreting prescriptions, pharmacy law, community pharmacy, and institutional pharmacy. RxTechExam's self-paced course has individual chapters that cover all of those elements.

If for nothing else, visit the website and request a Free E-Book from us (no credit card required), you'll see the link on the right side of the page.

Please contact us if you have any questions, we would be more than happy to help you out.

-Preston Davis

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Leah R in Essex Junction, Vermont

5 months ago

Excellent. Thank you. If I get the job I'll definitely contact you. The company in question wants the exam broken down in a fairly non-traditional way. "Funny, witty and irreverent" were the terms they used. The required information/skills are included in a narrative form. Things that need to be memorized, such as conversion factors are included as appendices. I sent them a writing sample that I based off of some of the skills content for non-sterile compounding. If I get the position more of the technical information will have to be added. If you're interested, I would be happy to send you a copy of my sample for your review. I'd love to have your feedback and suggestions. (It's only 2 pages, double spaced).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.