pharm tech license

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 62)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

brown_dude34 in Mattapan, Massachusetts

64 months ago

sashb453 in Addison, Illinois said: Is it mandatory to get a pharmacy technician LICENSE before even applying for a pharmacy technician job? And if so, how do you get one? And then what about the certification? What is the difference between the license and certification?

In some cases Yes in some cases No, you don't need a pharmacy technician license to practice as a pharmacy technician(retail setting). When you are first starting out, except most hospitals require certification/license and 2 years experience before they will even consider hiring you.

However, since you live in Illinois, you should consult your state board of rules and regulations which is at:

www.idfpr.com/DPR/WHO/PHAR.ASP

For example, CVS/Pharmacy doesn't require licensure until a mandatory of 500 technician training hours is reached. In most states once you pass the national ptcb exam at www.ptcb.org you are considered a certified pharmacy technician according to the laws. Once you receive your certification numbers from the PTCB board.

Then all you have to do is fill out the necessary forms by your state board of pharmacy to become registered in which ever state you are going to practice in. Each state has
slightly different rules for the registration process.

-Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

sashb453 in Addison, Illinois

64 months ago

see, i just applied for the license becuase like you said, most jobs require it before you even apply and the certificate is something you study for and obtain after you begin your work as a technician

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sashb453 in Northbrook, Illinois

64 months ago

okay great thanks, but I actually already got the license because some said jobs said I needed it before I even apply and it was easy and online.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

brown_dude34 in Everett, Massachusetts

64 months ago

Well, thats great since you have your pharmacy technician license, you might as well register for the National Certified Pharmacy Technician Exam at www.ptcb.org and see how you do ?

Once you pass the test you are officially a Nationally Certified Pharmacy Technician.

If you want to you can become a member of the National Pharmacy Technician Association at www.pharmacytechnician.org

They have more information about I.V Certification as well as Compounding Certification, you can add to your resume later on.

-Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

michael yanez in Houston, Texas

64 months ago

You can prepare for your certification exam while studying at home with comfort online course, www.pharmacytrainingonline.com/

- Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rustie in Newport News, Virginia

63 months ago

Hi brown-dude34 in MA. Your information was very helpful for me. I worked in a 24hr Rite Aide pharmacy for over a year and felt like a slave!!! They refused to work around my class schedule so I'm taking some time off to finish my Pharmacology and Pharmacy Tech classes. My hubby is Active Duty Army so I have a leg up on doing my volunteer time in no time flat.

If you don't pass the exam the first time, will they charge you the full amount to take it again?
Thanks for your input. Rustie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

brown_dude34 in Boston, Massachusetts

63 months ago

Well, Rustie, Trust me I know the experience you have been through all to well. I experienced it at warp speed via CVS/Pharmacy.

The retail pharmacy environment tends to stress customer service; it’s also a fast paced (high stress) experience.

Retail pharmacy is probably not the ideal environment for pharmacy technicians just starting out. The working conditions that are present in most retail chain pharmacy chains are very negative. Furthermore, they can affect the newbie pharmacy technician who is unsure of themselves and not really secure in their job functions.

For example, when you combine the conditions which I experienced as a newbie technician such as working 4 station’s within the pharmacy, low pay, high stress, poor training, arrogant, unfriendly pharmacist’s, rude/demanding customers it all contributed to my frustration in the field . This can make the journey to becoming a certified/registered pharmacy technician much more difficult for many people.

As far as the payment for test is concerned I had to pay out of pocket for all my tests, books and pharmacy technician education. I paid for everything with credit cards, savings and part-time jobs. I just did my research via the internet concerning the registration/certification process and did not wait for CVS/Pharmacy to pay the fee for the test.

If the retail pharmacy promises that they will pay for your certification test take it with a grain of salt and always have a Plan B. By this I mean, expect to pay certification and registration expenses out of pocket. I know at CVS/Pharmacy they claim they will pay for your certification test. I never had CVS/Pharmacy pay for my certification test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

brown_dude34 in Boston, Massachusetts

63 months ago

The morale of the story is don’t rely on the big pharmacy retail chains to help you at all since most of information you need concerning certification/registration is available via the internet.

I joined CVS/Pharmacy to get the vital experience I needed and then I moved on. The best bet would have been to volunteer at a local hospital pharmacy in order to get hospital pharmacy technician experience. That experience would have been much more beneficial to me then working retail pharmacy.

Also, I learned an important lesson through this experience. That the big retail pharmacy chains all they care about is making big profits for each quarter of the calendar year. They don’t seem to care about their employees. They will just use you and abuse you until you, burn out and then stick a next warm body in there.

Good luck in your volunteer experience as a hospital pharmacy. I hope it works out for you. Thanks Rustie for sharing your experience at Rite-Aid pharmacy it was a very interesting read.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

natali in South Hadley, Massachusetts

63 months ago

brown_dude34 in Mattapan, Massachusetts said: In some cases Yes in some cases No, you don't need a pharmacy technician license to practice as a pharmacy technician(retail setting). When you are first starting out, except most hospitals require certification/license and 2 years experience before they will even consider hiring you.

However, since you live in Illinois, you should consult your state board of rules and regulations which is at:

For example, CVS/Pharmacy doesn't require licensure until a mandatory of 500 technician training hours is reached. In most states once you pass the national ptcb exam at www.ptcb.org you are considered a certified pharmacy technician according to the laws. Once you receive your certification numbers from the PTCB board.

Then all you have to do is fill out the necessary forms by your state board of pharmacy to become registered in which ever state you are going to practice in. Each state has

-Good Luck

where can you take necessary forms in MA to register

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Darien, Illinois

63 months ago

Hey guys-

I know every state is different in their requirements so before doing anything, I recommend calling or visiting the website of your state's Board of Pharmacy. They are going to be the best resources for finding out what you need to do to practice in that particular state. I know in Illinios, where I am licensed, you have to be 18 years old, have a high school diploma or equivalent and no felonies or drug related convictions. You just have to fill out an application and pay the $45 and you get a license. But as of 2010, you have to be nationally certified, too. I was able to get licensed- piece of cake- but then tried studying out of a book for the national exam and didn't understand a ton of material- and then I couldn't get a job either because i had no experience or training- so the whole license thing was kind of a wash! So i started looking for training programs and found a couple of shady looking ones and (finally!) one at my community college (which is College of DuPage), which took a few months but got me some hands-on experience, a great instructor, and a lot of prep for the national exam. I ended up getting an A in the class, taking the national exam and passing with flying colors,(i took the ExCPT, but you can take PTCB as well- ExCPT was cheaper and our instructor said if we, for some reason, didn't pass, we could take it again right away instead of the waiting period for the PTCB), and got a great referral from my teacher and landed a job at CVS even while I was still in the class!

I took it at College of DuPage, but I found out it's another company that runs the program and they do it at a few other colleges too. The website is www.kushanllc.com. Looks like most are in Illinois, but they have some Mass (MassBay near you guys maybe?) schools and other states too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

renata Ashland MA in Franklin, Massachusetts

63 months ago

I just started to think about take the Pharmacy Technician Course at Mass bay College wich is 75 hours would will, it says, prepare me to take the CPhT. But reading all those comments, specially yours " brown_dude34 in Boston, Massachusetts " I realized that is too much to do instead just take a simple Course. I have 4 years' experience in Pharmacy from my country . Do you think it counts?
From where should I start?
Where can I take the National Exam in MA?

Thanks.

Michael in Mission Viejo, California

63 months ago

I actually researched about if pharmacy technician license is mandatory or not enrolled the pharmacy technician online course. My answer is NO. The pharmacy technician license is not the requirement to work at the pharmacy store. However, you won't get paid as much as a license holder that is what I learned. The online course I am taking so far I really like it. Very easy to learn and convenient. Try allied schools if you want to get a license, www.pharmacytrainingonline.com

Below is a quote from dep. of labor, www.bls.gov/oco/ocos252.htm
Median hourly earnings of wage-and-salary pharmacy technicians in May 2006 were $12.32. The middle 50 percent earned between $10.10 and $14.92. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $8.56, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $17.65. Median hourly earnings in the industries employing the largest numbers of pharmacy technicians in May 2006 were:

General medical and surgical hospitals $13.86
Grocery stores 12.78
Pharmacies and drug stores 11.50

"Certified technicians may earn more. Shift differentials for working evenings or weekends also can increase earnings. Some technicians belong to unions representing hospital or grocery store workers."

www.bls.gov/oco/ocos252.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

brown_dude34 in Hyde Park, Massachusetts

63 months ago

natali in South Hadley, Massachusetts said: where can you take necessary forms in MA to register

In order to obtain a pharmacy technician license in the state of Massachusetts you would first need to either obtain 500hrs of pharmacy technician training experience or have a licensed pharmacist sign off on that application verifying experience.

Alternatively you can register and hopefully pass the national PTCE (Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam), at www.ptcb.org. Bypassing the 500hrs of pharmacy technician training experience usually required to register and receive a pharmacy technician license for the state of Massachusetts.

The forms you will need to register as a pharmacy technician in the state of Massachusetts are located at www.pcshq.com

Professional Credentialing Services is an outsourced registration services for the State of Massachusetts its located in Tennessee.

Then once you pass the national certification exam. Send them a copy of your certification and fill out the forms if all requirements are met such as a criminal background check, etc. You need to attach two photos( I believe its 2x2 photos same as a passport application) to the application and have it notarized by a notary public. Which you can find in any bank they always have at least one person who is a notary public on staff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

renata Ashland MA in Franklin, Massachusetts said: I just started to think about take the Pharmacy Technician Course at Mass bay College wich is 75 hours would will, it says, prepare me to take the CPhT. But reading all those comments, specially yours " brown_dude34 in Boston, Massachusetts " I realized that is too much to do instead just take a simple Course. I have 4 years' experience in Pharmacy from my country . Do you think it counts?

Thanks.

Okay Renata, all education is good. Everyone’s situation is different I always recommend education it benefits you in the long run. However, if you go to a community college for a pharmacy technician program see if the credits are transferable. By this I mean will it count for credit towards a degree if you decide to pursue an advanced degree in a major science such as Biology, Chemistry etc.

In most cases the pharmacy technician programs they offer in community colleges and for profit training programs are not. So at the end of your completion of the program you will receive a certificate of completion that’s it and the courses you took are not transferable.

Now to pass the National Pharmacy Technician Exam at www.ptcb.com is another adventure entirely. You need to pass this exam in order to become certified so you can have the option to work in a hospital were the pay and benefits are much better than the retail sector. The process to becoming a certified pharmacy technician means you have to find a way to pass the exam. Certification also means you can register as a pharmacy technician and receive a license to practice as a pharmacy technician in Massachusetts or practice in any other state in the United States.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

renata Ashland MA in Franklin, Massachusetts said: I just started to think about take the Pharmacy Technician Course at Mass bay College wich is 75 hours would will, it says, prepare me to take the CPhT. But reading all those comments, specially yours " brown_dude34 in Boston, Massachusetts " I realized that is too much to do instead just take a simple Course. I have 4 years' experience in Pharmacy from my country . Do you think it counts?

Thanks.

In most cases the courses you will take at a community college or vocational school will not help you pass the national pharmacy technician exam. Passing the national pharmacy technician exam requires you study from a book or a program of study that specifically is geared to passing the test.

Furthermore, in order to obtain a pharmacy technician license in the state of Massachusetts you don’t need a formal education.

At some point possibly after 2010 in order to be a pharmacy technician in the state of Massachusetts you must pass the national pharmacy technician exam. Some states such as Florida have already adopted this policy. Massachusetts at this time has not. As certification becomes the standard in order to receive a license.

Keep in mind those certificate programs are basically an introduction to pharmacy technician career field. You might as well sign up for the pharmacy technician course at the community college.

Good Luck

Kari McMurdy in Boca Raton, Florida

63 months ago

sashb453 in Addison, Illinois said: Is it mandatory to get a pharmacy technician LICENSE before even applying for a pharmacy technician job? And if so, how do you get one? And then what about the certification? What is the difference between the license and certification?

I work at cvs pharmacy. I literally got the job and now i am just taking the courses. I didn't need any previous expierence.

Joe in Darien, Illinois

63 months ago

brown_dude34 in Hyde Park, Massachusetts said: In most cases the courses you will take at a community college or vocational school will not help you pass the national pharmacy technician exam. Passing the national pharmacy technician exam requires you study from a book or a program of study that specifically is geared to passing the test.

Furthermore, in order to obtain a pharmacy technician license in the state of Massachusetts you don’t need a formal education.

At some point possibly after 2010 in order to be a pharmacy technician in the state of Massachusetts you must pass the national pharmacy technician exam. Some states such as Florida have already adopted this policy. Massachusetts at this time has not. As certification becomes the standard in order to receive a license.

Keep in mind those certificate programs are basically an introduction to pharmacy technician career field. You might as well sign up for the pharmacy technician course at the community college.

Good Luck

The course at MassBay Community College is part of MRxI and Kushan Education's outsourcing services. They closely follow the blueprint for the national exam when preparing the curriculum for the class. Their students have a 94% pass rate for the ExCPT exam and 93% pass rate for the PTCB exam.

Also, regarding taking the class at a community college to transfer to a chem or bio degree...quite often community colleges offer job-training programs such as this as part of their non-credit, continuing education or workforce training departments. They're not created so much to use as credit toward a future degree, but to serve the community's specific training and educational needs.

Lastly, you can never really go wrong taking a class at a community college over a no-name vocational school. Often, the community college acts as an advocate on the student's behalf. They care about pass rates, placement and the overall effect on the community, not profit alone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Casis in Ventura, California

63 months ago

I have 4 years' experience in Pharmacy from my country . Do you think it counts?
Hey, where are you from? Considering your first name - I am guessing Poland :-)

Kasia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ChAr1n6 in Cerritos, California

63 months ago

Hi! I can tell that you're very knowledgeable about becoming a pharmacy technician. I'm currently trying to sign up for the PTCB exam at ptcb.org and I was wondering, do I need formal training or any kind of training from a school/university/online course in order to be eligible?? As I was filling out the application, it seemed like I needed to have taken training courses (I haven't officially submitted the application yet). Is it possible to take the PTCB test without any sort of training or experience as a pharm tech or anything associated with that field?? Also, I know I need to be approved, is there any way that I will be approved with this profile?? Thanks!
Charisma

brown_dude34 in Malden, Massachusetts said: You apply for the certification test anytime you are ready for the test. However, taking the test is similiar to taking thr SAT test you need to find a book that is based off of the test.

I am a certified/registered pharmacy technician in the state of Massachusetts. So, I signed up and took the test at www.ptcb.org which is the national pharmacy technician exam. Then once I passed the national test I applied to my state board of pharmacy for a license.

There are 2 ways to get a pharmacy technician license.

#1. Take the National Pharmacy Technician Certification test at www.ptcb.org it cost $129.00 US. Pass the test with 650 - 700 points or above. Then fill out the forms to register as a pharmacy technician with your state.

However, before you take this test you need to be prepared and the best book I can recommend to you is:

Delmar's Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review
by Patricia K. Anthony

Google it for the lowest price.

I used this book it is very comprehensive and you should pass the test on your 1st or 2nd try after studying this book. It covers the math problems and how to work them out along with drug names and pharmacy law.

Joe in Darien, Illinois

63 months ago

Charisma,

Every state has a different requirement for licensure. Some only require you to take the national exam, but some have certain training requirements. I'd recommend that you call your state's Board of Pharmacy or Department of Professional Licensing, or at least take advice from people in your home state, before investing in anything.

Hope this helps.

62 months ago

ChAr1n6 in Cerritos, California said: Hi! I can tell that you're very knowledgeable about becoming a pharmacy technician. I'm currently trying to sign up for the PTCB exam at ptcb.org and I was wondering, do I need formal training or any kind of training from a school/university/online course in order to be eligible?? As I was filling out the application, it seemed like I needed to have taken training courses (I haven't officially submitted the application yet). Is it possible to take the PTCB test without any sort of training or experience as a pharm tech or anything associated with that field?? Also, I know I need to be approved, is there any way that I will be approved with this profile?? Thanks!
Charisma

ChAr1n6 , since you’re in California the process might be a little different than it is for Massachusetts, the state that I am in. I was able to locate some information for you pertaining to pharmacy technician registration/ licensure in the state of California. As far as formal education is concerned most states require no formal education in order to become a pharmacy technician.

I would keep the formal education option open if I was you because the rules to becoming a pharmacy technician may change in 2010. By this I mean if you don’t have a college degree plan on going back to further your education. Just in case they change the rules and require a 2 year associates degree or even a 4 year degree along with certification and licensure somewhere down the road.

I would recommend taking credit classes at a local community college in business(think pharmacy management option) or a science such as biology, chemistry etc(just in case you might want to go onto pharmacy school).

62 months ago

ChAr1n6 in Cerritos, California said: Hi! I can tell that you're very knowledgeable about becoming a pharmacy technician. I'm currently trying to sign up for the PTCB exam at ptcb.org and I was wondering, do I need formal training or any kind of training from a school/university/online course in order to be eligible?? As I was filling out the application, it seemed like I needed to have taken training courses (I haven't officially submitted the application yet). Is it possible to take the PTCB test without any sort of training or experience as a pharm tech or anything associated with that field?? Also, I know I need to be approved, is there any way that I will be approved with this profile?? Thanks!
Charisma

However, I have seen a lot of states such as Florida change their registration requirements recently. Each state has slightly different requirements. I had a chance to briefly scan through the California requirements and I can understand why some people can feel overwhelmed with the amount of paperwork and other requirements that you must go through in order to register as a pharmacy technician.

Keep in mind that the average pharmacy technician starts out at $10.00 - $13.00 an hour depending on experience, certification, etc. Furthermore, the cost of living is also higher in California so the starting wages for a pharmacy technician on the west coast might be slightly higher than it is on the east coast.

For more information on registration requirements for the state of California follow this link. www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/tch_app_pkt.pdf

-Good Luck

rajesh kumar in Bombay, India

62 months ago

hi.iam a licenced pharmast in india and i wanna be a certified pharmst in california what shd i have to do for this?pls help me out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

windizblowing in Grand Island, New York

62 months ago

ya dont ever work at cvs. it sucks. o and walgreens wouldnt hire me because i was going to school the next year. so if they ask ~ no you are not going to school and u can work full time. especially if its 24hr. y not. when they find out who cares. business is business. now that i am going to school for physical therapy and graduate in 2 years theres no point in getting a job at walgreens and then a job at a hospital. it'll ruin my work history.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

what do u know

62 months ago

Im just sharing my thoughts and feelings. Thanks for adding to my insecuries biotch.

Maria in Elk Grove, California

61 months ago

I have a question. I finished a Pharmacy Technician class in December took a livescan in January and passed but due to personal circumstance never turned it in.

Can I still apply to be registered? I still have my certificate that I finished the course and I still have the livescan paperwork. Will the livescan still be good or do I have to take it again? And is there a time limit at to how long after finishing a course I can apply to be registered in California?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

JIJO PAUL in Billerica, Massachusetts

61 months ago

I am a masters degree holder in pharmacy from my country India.My conditions are worst.I cannot either work as pharmacy tech nor as a pharmacy intern.
I am in the state of Massachusetts.Do i need to get 500hrs of training from a college or retail PHARMACY before writing my pharmacy tech exam from PTCB OR EXCPT.Kindly give me some information on that.

ForillonPhT in Belmont, Massachusetts

61 months ago

JIJO PAUL in Billerica, Massachusetts said: I am a masters degree holder in pharmacy from my country India.My conditions are worst.I cannot either work as pharmacy tech nor as a pharmacy intern.
I am in the state of Massachusetts.Do i need to get 500hrs of training from a college or retail PHARMACY before writing my pharmacy tech exam from PTCB OR EXCPT.Kindly give me some information on that.

Hi, JiJo Paul. I'm in the similar situation as yours. I have the same question as well. For the pharmacy tech exam, we can just buy a review book, going through it and then taking the PhT Certification exam. Or we need 500hrs training or experience before taking the exam.

Since you have the master degree, why don't you prepare the pharmacist exam to be a registered pharmacist. That would be more suitable for you, right?

61 months ago

brown_dude34 in Hyde Park, Massachusetts said: However, I have seen a lot of states such as Florida change their registration requirements recently. Each state has slightly different requirements. I had a chance to briefly scan through the California requirements and I can understand why some people can feel overwhelmed with the amount of paperwork and other requirements that you must go through in order to register as a pharmacy technician.

Keep in mind that the average pharmacy technician starts out at $10.00 - $13.00 an hour depending on experience, certification, etc. Furthermore, the cost of living is also higher in California so the starting wages for a pharmacy technician on the west coast might be slightly higher than it is on the east coast.

For more information on registration requirements for the state of California follow this link. www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/tch_app_pkt.pdf

-Good Luck

Thanks a lot Brown_dude34. Your input are very helpful for me.
I used to be a registered pharmacist in my country. I'm gonna start working
as a PhT in a retail pharmacy store very soon. My next goal is to pass the
PhT Certification exam cause the pay is very low ($10/hr).

MRxI Corp in Darien, Illinois

61 months ago

I beleive you can take the exam without taking a course to be a certfied course, but passing the exam is a lot harder. Also, there is a course at Mass Bay Community College that has a pharmacist teaching it, you can get great instruction and guidance for the certfication exam (take the ExCPT, its cheaper and results right away). Informaiton on the Mass Bay course is at www.kushanllc.com

Hope that helps.

JIJO PAUL in Billerica, Massachusetts said: I am a masters degree holder in pharmacy from my country India.My conditions are worst.I cannot either work as pharmacy tech nor as a pharmacy intern.

61 months ago

Hi, MRxl Corp in Darien, thanks for the input. It's helful to me.
My situation is that I used to be a pharmacist in my country and had 3 year of experience of working in both the inpatient and outpatient pharmacy in a general hospital. My major job was to fill up the prescriptions. And I had a B.S. degree of pharmacy from my country. But I have no pharmacy experience in US.
In my case, can I just go and take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam without 500hrs training in a retail pharmacy?
Now I'm thinking maybe buying a review book and prepare the exam by
myself. Cause it's cheaper.
Or maybe taking the course at Mass Bay Community College would make it much easier to pass the exam.
What do yo think? Thanks.

PTtech in North Grafton, Massachusetts

61 months ago

brown_dude34 in Mattapan, Massachusetts said: In some cases Yes in some cases No, you don't need a pharmacy technician license to practice as a pharmacy technician(retail setting). When you are first starting out, except most hospitals require certification/license and 2 years experience before they will even consider hiring you.

-Good Luck

You might find this an interesting article, URL : nepharmacytechcompoundinginstitute.club.officelive.com/class.aspx

The Northeast Compounding pharmacy Institute

sugi in Glendale, California

61 months ago

Hi there,
Even i am planning to give PTCB exam, but i didnt undergo any training/course work for this examination. Can anyone make clear that training certificate is mandatory inorder to apply for PTCB.
Thanks

Paul in Lowell, Massachusetts

61 months ago

can u refer the best book for pctb exam
and book for ExCPT Exam

Anybody can give information on State board of MA requiremnt on PCTB or ExCPT

Paul in Lowell, Massachusetts

61 months ago

ForillonPhT in Belmont, Massachusetts said: Hi, JiJo Paul. I'm in the similar situation as yours. I have the same question as well. For the pharmacy tech exam, we can just buy a review book, going through it and then taking the PhT Certification exam. Or we need 500hrs training or experience before taking the exam.

Since you have the master degree, why don't you prepare the pharmacist exam to be a registered pharmacist. That would be more suitable for you, right?

i would like to but u knoiw it would take time atleast an year by the time you can work as tech

mrxicorp in Darien, Illinois

61 months ago

A good kit to purchase is the ones avialbe at www.kushanllc.com. They have options of various kits that can help you with either exam.

mrxicorp in Darien, Illinois

61 months ago

You can review the materials and study on your own. But the chances of passing either certification exam is very low. The course is not just for passing the exam, that is a minimum standard, the pharmacist instructing the course can provide real examples to educate you on proper practice setting. If you decide to purchase a home study kid go to www.kushanllc.com and select one of the kits. But if you want to take a course try the Mass Bay one.

ForillonPhT in Woburn, Massachusetts

61 months ago

mrxicorp in Darien, Illinois said: You can review the materials and study on your own. But the chances of passing either certification exam is very low. The course is not just for passing the exam, that is a minimum standard, the pharmacist instructing the course can provide real examples to educate you on proper practice setting. If you decide to purchase a home study kid go to www.kushanllc.com and select one of the kits. But if you want to take a course try the Mass Bay one.

Thanks!

I went to the Barnes&Noble the other day. There were several review books for the PTCB. For example,

Mosby's Review for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination

Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review (by Delmar Learing's Exam Review Series)

The Pharmacy Technician workbook &certification Review (by American Pharmacist
Association)

Concise Review for the PTCB Exam

etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kathy in Taunton, Massachusetts

59 months ago

I can say that I work as a pharmacy technician at CVS and that is not what I experienced at all.. I guess it all depends on where you work. Everyone where I work is great. They are friendly, helpful and very nice to work with. Both techs and pharmacists. They train you on the job, as well as classes you take and they give you the state test(which you do pay for) but the national test is paid for by CVS once. If you fail it is your responsibility to pay for it the next time. It is a bit hectic at times but I learned that it is the kind of thing you need to push yourself to achieve your goals. As I said, I lucked out I guess because everyone I work with is terrific and a big help :)

chauho in Woodland, California

55 months ago

Hi, I'm currently going to training school and will be graduating in May 2010. I want to apply for the pharmacy technician license ahead of time since there's a 3 months waiting period and I want to have my license ready by the time I go on my externship... I was just wondering if that's possible or do I need to be graduate first in order to apply for the license... I'm planning to take my PTCP in March and I want to have everything so hopefully I'll be able to land a job at the hospital. Thanks in advance for anyone replying to my question :)

jleonard116 in Mchenry, Illinois

55 months ago

I want to know about the Illinois pharmacy exam. Do you need formal schooling in order to take the exam or can you take you studying it at home and then take it? What are the main parts on the exam to study and know?

harneet in Fresno, California

55 months ago

hi i have a pharmacy tech licence now i want to take a national test but can u tell me what the difference about state nd national test what test i have to do

susiecakes in Union, Illinois

54 months ago

I am thinking about taking a pharmacy tech class. End goal is to get my certification and a licence. Anybody know which schools are better is it better to take a course or just work in a pharmacy first.
Any information would be appreciated.

regina in Pinole, California

54 months ago

hi im a licensed Pharmacist in the philippines...and I already have my certification from the PTCB and Licensed from the CA Board of Pharmacy...I think for foreign graduate who want to be pharmacy tech all they need to do is to PAss the PTCE...to be a pharmacy intern you need to take the FPGEE...

regina in Pinole, California

54 months ago

regina in Pinole, California said: hi im a licensed Pharmacist in the philippines...and I already have my certification from the PTCB and Licensed from the CA Board of Pharmacy...I think for foreign graduate who want to be pharmacy tech all they need to do is to PAss the PTCE...to be a pharmacy intern you need to take the FPGEE...

oops license from the CA board of Pharmacy

Ashley in Houston, Texas

54 months ago

susiecakes in Union, Illinois said: I am thinking about taking a pharmacy tech class. End goal is to get my certification and a licence. Anybody know which schools are better is it better to take a course or just work in a pharmacy first.
Any information would be appreciated.

I started out working as a clerk in retail pharmacy. After working there for a while, a position for Pharmacy Tech opened up and I became a tech-in-training. I worked in the pharmacy for about 3-4 months and studying diligently, I took my test and failed it. After this happened, I realized that not only is it important to have work experience to pass the test, but you've gotta study RELIGIOUSLY. I took the test a few months later and passed it. Now I'm just waiting on my registration/background test to pass and then I'll be getting paid what the other Pharmacy Techs are making. Every tech I've ever talked to (save one) has told me that taking a Pharmacy Tech class is a waste of money. We don't get paid a whole lot, so having to pay off student loans/tuition once you get a job will kill you financially. I dunno - I guess I was one of the lucky ones who was accepted into the pharmacy as a tech-in-training without any experience. If you get the chance to do this, DO IT and get the right study material. I got mine from the college's library and from a couple of techs who had their textbooks lying around their houses.

regina in Berkeley, California

54 months ago

Thanks.

hi im a foreign pharmacy graduate also but I already have my certification and licensed as pharm tech. Based on the requirement from the PTCB to be a CPhT there are four steps. But for foreign graduates of pharmacy she/he may take the PTCE (challenge it) and once you passed it you are already certified. You don't need to go to school. That's what I did last year.

regina in Berkeley, California

54 months ago

ForillonPhT in Belmont, Massachusetts said: Hi, JiJo Paul. I'm in the similar situation as yours. I have the same question as well. For the pharmacy tech exam, we can just buy a review book, going through it and then taking the PhT Certification exam. Or we need 500hrs training or experience before taking the exam.

for foreign graduate, you can just take the exam (PTCE) you don't need to have 500hrs trainings..but it's still up to you if you want to have training...Im a pharmacist in the Philippines, I took the exam last Oct for PTCE and I have passed got my certification but you have to register it to the board of pharmacy for you to get your license. As of now I've been trying to look for a job....I don't know if they will consider me coz i don't have any work experience here in the US. ABout the exam just review your calculation and the Laws here in the US...try to review the Delmar review for pharm tech.

CPhT Online in Tempe, Arizona

54 months ago

Some states, like Louisiana, require a few months of on-the-job training before you can become a CPhT. You can take the exam on your own, though. If you need any help preparing for the exam on your own, a great resource is cphtonline.com.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.