pharmacy technician salary

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 1267)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

nice doc in Pittsburg, California

82 months ago

2Jazzy in Mobile, Alabama said: Wow, so I guess this means that I may be getting underpaid big time. I am not yet certified (still waiting on my scores on October 12th) and having been making $8.00/hr since starting here at Kmart in May 2007. So the hospital allows you to get overtime? That's definitely what I need since in retail they don't allow you to get a single hour over 40.

Well you are in Alabama, not California -
70,000 a year is not enough to buy a house here. Bay Area/San Francisco

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JohnS in Edina, Minnesota

82 months ago

Now your talking reality, not everyone will ever own
a house, and many that do may end up in BK.

$70k may not buy a house, but it will get you an apartment
with change left over.

Im from Alabama, i seriously doubt any pharmacy tech
is making $70,000 - its just not realistic...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ms diamond in San Francisco/BAY AREA, California

82 months ago

My background is in Sales and Marketing. I decided to attend a Pharm Tech course to familiarize myself with drugs (generic/trade). Part of the 6 month program included an externship in a retail drugstore, I eventually got hired from the externship. Working at a drugstore was not my goal, just used it to network and gain knowledge. I also volunteered at a nearby hospital because I knew that "inpatient" pharmacy paid more. Most pharm tech schools include IV compounding.
My goal is nuclear med/pharmacy. Plenty of jobs in biotech. I currently work as a SALES REP and make $128,000.
Getting your CPhT is usually requested at most companies/hospitals (better pay). As a SALES REP you are able to make your own hours. I schedule and attend luncheons/dinners (for presentations). My company gave me an auto, and a credit card line of credit. You are able to enter many different fields with a "pharm tech" education, not just a drugstore or hospital. Theres are manufacturing/distribution and insurance organizations.
oh yeah, I also teach Pharm Tech at a local college at $48k annual.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

ms diamond in San Francisco/BAY AREA, California said: My background is in Sales and Marketing. I decided to attend a Pharm Tech course to familiarize myself with drugs (generic/trade). Part of the 6 month program included an externship in a retail drugstore, I eventually got hired from the externship. Working at a drugstore was not my goal, just used it to network and gain knowledge. I also volunteered at a nearby hospital because I knew that "inpatient" pharmacy paid more. Most pharm tech schools include IV compounding.
My goal is nuclear med/pharmacy. Plenty of jobs in biotech. I currently work as a SALES REP and make $128,000.
Getting your CPhT is usually requested at most companies/hospitals (better pay). As a SALES REP you are able to make your own hours. I schedule and attend luncheons/dinners (for presentations). My company gave me an auto, and a credit card line of credit. You are able to enter many different fields with a "pharm tech" education, not just a drugstore or hospital. Theres are manufacturing/distribution and insurance organizations.
oh yeah, I also teach Pharm Tech at a local college at $48k annual.

I tried to volunteer at a hospital for inpatient, they said as a volunteer i would not be able to touch any drugs or IV's..I would just slap labels on bottles, and they already had someone 1 day a week doing just that...they said just to much of a liability with someone not experianced, Ive been out of school for nearly two years now...
ive also tried other hospitals that take no chances at all, no volunteers in hospital pharmacy at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ms diamond in San Francisco/BAY AREA, California

82 months ago

JohnS in Edina, Minnesota said: I tried to volunteer at a hospital for inpatient, they said as a volunteer i would not be able to touch any drugs or IV's..I would just slap labels on bottles, and they already had someone 1 day a week doing just that...they said just to much of a liability with someone not experianced, Ive been out of school for nearly two years now...
ive also tried other hospitals that take no chances at all, no volunteers in hospital pharmacy at all.

- If you do your externship assigned by your school at a hospital,
Most schools do pay your malpractice insurance (included in the tuition).

You are not able to volunteer IN THE hospital pharmacy, but you can volunteer in ER or dispatch (meaning you will be delivering/pickup meds to/from nurses station). Remember you just want to learn and network.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

gerry in Sacramento, California

82 months ago

California is not Alabama and I know several pharm techs that make over $70000.00 a year>i paid for two houses and i quit the pharm tech job to open my own business.MY suggestion to you is to move or get more education. i remember when i was in my twenty's an older pharm in my place of work said "don't let this place take your youth, use it as a stepping stone".You will learn when you are older still making $15.00 that an hour that you should have moved on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nice doc in Pittsburg, California

81 months ago

JohnS in Edina, Minnesota said: I tried to volunteer at a hospital for inpatient, they said as a volunteer i would not be able to touch any drugs or IV's..I would just slap labels on bottles, and they already had someone 1 day a week doing just that...they said just to much of a liability with someone not experianced, Ive been out of school for nearly two years now...

Getting CERTIFICATION - would be a GREAT ASSET!
You can get jobs from 'RX Agencies', many chains/retail and hospitals subcontract thru these agencies.
such as: www.rxonthego.com

Girl Germs in Hixson, Tennessee

81 months ago

I will just give everyone a word of advice: do not work retail unless you feel like you want to work your buns off for nothing!!! I did 2 internships in my tech. program; one at a grocery store and one at Walgreens. They both bit it majorly and you would have to work there 3 years to get the pay I started out making at the hospital I'm working at now. Not dissing anyone who has enjoyed their retail experience, but people, please aim higher than that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Girl Germs in Hixson, Tennessee said: I will just give everyone a word of advice: do not work retail unless you feel like you want to work your buns off for nothing!!! I did 2 internships in my tech. program; one at a grocery store and one at Walgreens. They both bit it majorly and you would have to work there 3 years to get the pay I started out making at the hospital I'm working at now. Not dissing anyone who has enjoyed their retail experience, but people, please aim higher than that!

I do not like retail myself, but the majority of jobs out there
are retail some people may have to settle for what they can get
weather they like it or not, at least until they can get
some experiance under their belt, they may have to settle
for retail starting out.

rjc

81 months ago

wow, I have the same experience like the tech from philly. I started at cvs in north carolina in 2003 aand have been board certified since then as well but the cvs in north carolina only pays me 10.75 p/h The only reason I stay is to get more time and experience under my belt, planning to leave the cheap carolinas next october, so can anyone suggest what state and what setting will pay a 5 year technician a livable wage

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

you mean you been working for CVS for 4 years, and you do not make more then $10.75/hr ?? There is something wrong with that picture. maybe you should start applying at hospitals...youll surely make more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

rjc

81 months ago

the hospitals are funny to here in the quenn city better know as charlotte. I have tried to get on with the 3 major hospitals in the area since I became certified and for some reason they all turned me down without a good reason why, but how ever when you go east of charlotte like greensboro and beyond it's a whole different story. I had a interview with the hospital in greensboro, I didn't get the job but at least I know I was beat out by someone with more experience, I can respect that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Help!!

81 months ago

Well that is North Cackalay for you. How difficult was the exam?? What was on it?

rjc

81 months ago

well if your talking about the national board test, it was kinda hard it has 5 or six different test and the one you get depends on were you set. The one I had was basically hospital questions, I did okI think I scored a 850, which I think you need 650 to become certified. One thing I can say good about cvs is we had a very good pharm tech trainer who prepared us for the test

81 months ago

rjc said: the hospitals are funny to here in the quenn city better know as charlotte. I have tried to get on with the 3 major hospitals in the area since I became certified and for some reason they all turned me down without a good reason why, but how ever when you go east of charlotte like greensboro and beyond it's a whole different story. I had a interview with the hospital in greensboro, I didn't get the job but at least I know I was beat out by someone with more experience, I can respect that

Maybe you should set one day aside, and volunteer in
inpatient pharmacy at a local hospital.

rjc

81 months ago

been there, tried that, I think the only way to continue working in a pharmacy and be happy is to leave charlotte

81 months ago

rjc said: been there, tried that, I think the only way to continue working in a pharmacy and be happy is to leave charlotte

watch out what you wish for, you may find yourself in another city in the same position, pharmacy techs are just flooding the market
every single day.

MISTY in Austin, Texas

81 months ago

I WENT TO PENNFOSTER CAREER SCHOOL AND GOT MY DIPLOMA. I REALLY LIKE THIR SCHOOL AND THEY LET YOU MAKE MONTHLY PAYMENTS AND DON'T CHARGE INTREST. WHEN YOU COMPLETE YOUR SCHOOLING AND PAY THEM OFF THEY SEND YOU A REVIEW GUIDE FOR YOUR STATES STATE BOARD EXAM. I AM REALLY CONFIDENT WITH THIS SCHOOL AND WOULD RECOMEND THIS SCHOOL TO ANYONE WHO IS INTERESTED IN GETTING A DIPLOMA FROM A SCHOOL AS A PHARMACY TECH. CHECK IT OUT FOR YOUR SELF WWW.PENNFOSTER.EDU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

angela in Everett, Washington

81 months ago

I am doing their course and love it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Girl Germs in Chattanooga, Tennessee

81 months ago

JohnS in Edina, Minnesota said: I do not like retail myself, but the majority of jobs out there
are retail some people may have to settle for what they can get
weather they like it or not, at least until they can get
some experiance under their belt, they may have to settle
for retail starting out.

Oh yes i know! Retail has such a high turnover rate because of the yucky stuff and low pay they have to deal with its actually kinda hard to get into a hospital that pays well. Everyones telling me how lucky i am to have went straight from school with no retail experience to big time hospital.
Thats all it was: L U C K

rxtechnv in Carson City, Nevada

81 months ago

If anyone is intrested I work in Reno Nv. and I am topped out as far as my pay. I make 17.00/hour and ive only been with the company for 11 months. I am looking to move out of state but it seems like from reading everyones comments that I should stay put. Does anyone know what a tech makes in WI.????

Girl Germs in Hixson, Tennessee

81 months ago

rxtechnv in Carson City, Nevada said: If anyone is intrested I work in Reno Nv. and I am topped out as far as my pay. I make 17.00/hour and ive only been with the company for 11 months. I am looking to move out of state but it seems like from reading everyones comments that I should stay put. Does anyone know what a tech makes in WI.????

You probably should stay where you are... I dont know tho, because you making 17 an hr out there could be like the 12 bucks most make at our hospital because the cost of living is greater out there than here. (?) Like i said: not sure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Girl Germs in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: Oh yes i know! Retail has such a high turnover rate because of the yucky stuff and low pay they have to deal with its actually kinda hard to get into a hospital that pays well. Everyones telling me how lucky i am to have went straight from school with no retail experience to big time hospital.
Thats all it was: L U C K

I have been unlucky since ive been out of school, 2 years now...
starting monday, I will volunteer in our local community
hospital, maybe that will help my resume.

Ron in Sacramento, California

81 months ago

Does anyone know of any good books or online course that I can take to prepare for the exam? I work at Walgreens, but as a photo tech... I would just like some clear information as to what to study for the exam. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Ron in Sacramento, California said: Does anyone know of any good books or online course that I can take to prepare for the exam? I work at Walgreens, but as a photo tech... I would just like some clear information as to what to study for the exam. Thanks!

you can go to amazon and look up pharmacy tech, you will see
some listings. I do not think any one book is better then
another, all contain info about taking the exam, but you
want to study math formulas above anything else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ron in Sacramento, California

81 months ago

JohnS in Edina, Minnesota said: you can go to amazon and look up pharmacy tech, you will see
some listings. I do not think any one book is better then
another, all contain info about taking the exam, but you
want to study math formulas above anything else.

Thanks for the super fast response... I'm off to barnes and noble to see if they have anything in stock! if not, i'll order from Amazon.com.

Thank you very much! I'll be sure to study the math formulas especially.

81 months ago

Ron in Sacramento, California said: Thanks for the super fast response... I'm off to barnes and noble to see if they have anything in stock! if not, i'll order from Amazon.com.

Thank you very much! I'll be sure to study the math formulas especially.

good luck with that...ive been to book stores, if they
do carry anything for pharmacy tech, it will not be that
much, amazon would be your best bet and a much better
selection, always go with the used book, you will get
a better deal on pharmacy tech books compared to new.

Jeanne in Chesterton, Indiana

81 months ago

Newbie in Verona, Wisconsin said: I just saw the graph for pharmacy technician salaries posted on this site. Pharm tech's making 30k+/yr??? Is this true? I'm a certified pharm tech at WAGS, and I only make ~10/hr. That's a little more than 20k/yr full time. Wow, does this mean there's hope for me? Give it to me straight, though, what kind of qualifications do these people have that I need? I like my job, but the low pay and seeming lack of advancement makes me dream of greener pastures.

TRY AND GET INTO HOME HEALTHCARE OR HOSPITAL SETTINGS. THATS WHERE THE MONEY IS IN THE MIDWEST. SURELY NOT AS MUCH AS CALI BUT OUR EXPENSES ARE NOT AS HIGH. WITH A CERTIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND SOMETHING. THE PAY IS PROBABLE 11-16 AN HOUR STARTING. I LEFT A TECH JOB IN A HOSPITAL SETTING 12 YEARS AGO MAKING 11 AN HOUR MY FELLOW FRIENDS ARE STILL THERE MAKING 16 PLUS AN HOUR. GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hannah

81 months ago

Sandy in Portland, Oregon said: I recently got licensed and certified here, and am having a hard time finding a pharmacy tech job. Everyone wants experience. Could anyone give me any advice on how to find a job!

I know what you mean. when i was starting to look for a job thats what every pharmacy kept saying. I really dont know what to tell you except keep looking. I found a pharmacy that had an opening and i literally went there at LEAST 2 times a week to keep checking (they said they would let me know in a few days). The only reason i was hired was because the person they WERE hiring, that had experiance, didnt show up. Its really hard to get a job as a tech, but its well worth it. I LOVE my job. So keep trying

fudgebunny in Canton, Georgia

81 months ago

Lybinka in Harrison, Arkansas said: Don't really know where you live, but in AR and NC they hire anyone off the street and do on the job training. NC you will get hired if you are not certified, but you have to get certified within a certain time frame. As for you CE credits, go to either ptcb.org and register. Also, go to pharmacytimes.com I subscribe to their magazine and do the tests online. CE's are free thru them, you only need 10 per yr. So you have time. Another thing, maybe your prospective employers feel you are over qualified, and don't want to pay what you are worth.... Especially if they hire off the street. So, act dumb, don't mention you are certified and see what happens... just a thought. I know here they don't want to pay, cause they can hire anyone off the street for minimum wage... That's why AR bites!!

Hi; don't you need 20 ce hours to renew your certification????

max4me in Bakersfield, California

81 months ago

Dr Jim in NY said: I am a retired physician. I am interested in pharm. Do I need to take courses to take the exam? Do you need a college certificate inorder to sit for the exam?

No you just need to take the PTCB I would tell you that schooling isnt really worth it. All the info you need is at PTCB.org Get a few books about the test and it should be easy. Its mostly math problems dealing with drug doses.

Dustin in Oceanside, California

81 months ago

Nai in Fresno, California said: WEll i work for walgreens here in visalia,ca and been there for 3 years. i started at $13.25 and currently with ptcb certified is at $18.25, i make a little over 40k because of he overtime, sometimes 30+ hr overtime.

Was your pay at 13.25 before or after you became certified?

rjc

81 months ago

wow that's great, I work for cvs in charlotte nc and I have been a pharm tech for 5 years and only make 10.75 and have been certified since 2003

Kellie in Wasco, California

81 months ago

socalal24 in claremont, California said: Starting my externship on thurs. in walgreens what should i expect or any hints?

I would expect to do counting, stocking, and waiting on customers.

Kellie in Wasco, California

81 months ago

Help!! in Cary, North Carolina said: Hello. I need some help. I am taking the Certified Pharmacy Tech exam in December and I am at a loss at what to study. I have worked in a pharmacy a total of 3 years but it has been over a year since I have worked in a pharmacy. Any hints on what to study?? What kind of questions do they ask? Is the exam difficult??[/QUOTE

They ask us not to release any type of questions. I can tell you mine was math and laws. I would study math conversions.

81 months ago

Kellie in Wasco, California said:

what are you, a girlscout...?

What to study? MATH FORMULAS...anything that looks
like math, study it, everything else is just a bonus
if you think you can actually remember stuff that may
or may not be on the exam, but math is a constant...

81 months ago

Kellie in Wasco, California said: I would expect to do counting, stocking, and waiting on customers.

I started my volenteership at a local hospital...
we are not allowed to fill scripts, or anything...
we are only allowed to save the hospital $$$ by
stocking meds, or doing paperwork that the lazy
techs that make $18/hr do not want to do...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Everett, Washington

81 months ago

Do all hospital's have this volenteership? I would like to do that while I am finishing up my schooling. Would like to learn more about this.

81 months ago

No they do not. you will have to contact your local hospitals
and call volunteer services...Some hospitals do not have pharmacy volunteers, but you should have no trouble, just make some calls.
some will not let you fill drugs (liability) while others will rotate you through pharmacy stations. There is also a hospital 30 min from where i live that has volunteers in their IV Infusion clinic, I am thinking about that also...I knew there is a volunteer at my hospital
in-pt pharmacy, he is only allowed to place labels on bottles one day per week and thats it...really depends on the need of the hospital i guess.

81 months ago

Angela in Everett, Washington said: Do all hospital's have this volenteership? I would like to do that while I am finishing up my schooling. Would like to learn more about this.

find a hospital and volunteer at least 1+ days per week, and it should look fairly appealing when you actually go out and try to find a job, try to find a hospital where you can get your hands dirty by doing everything...if not, you will have to settle for what they allow you too do, either way, im sure it helps on the resume. I was standing by a tech today watching here push pills, i was thinking a monkey could do this, there is more, she also answered phone calls, deals with customers, deals with insurance, deals with crazy people saying they are being cheated because they were charged more this month then last, and so on...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Doug in Thomasville, Georgia

81 months ago

falisha kinsey in Moultrie, Georgia said: they are opening a new walgreens in the city about 15mins from me so I hope i get the job it opens jan so i already put my application on line and everything. but i'm not getting my hopes up because every place i put an application at they never call me back. i'm not just a person off the street they are hiring i busted my butt in school and graduated pharmacy technology diplioma and certified pharmacy technician so i don't see what the problem is but i wish i never went to school for this because it doing me not good i graduated last 12/06 year and yet to geta job yet in pharmacy tech

Falisha: You know that Walgreens is building a new store in Moultrie too, it will be built where Embers Restruant now stands, Walgreens just purchased Embers Location and will tear it down to build a new Walgreens.

nenna in Modesto, California

80 months ago

gerry in Sacramento, California said: we get time and a half everyday after working 6 days in a row. i would work everyday including some double shifts.This is before i was married mind you,i worked up to 90 days in a row.At the time i was not going to school.i did this for 4 years.i used the money to buy two houses.I worked at the hospital for ten years. i quit two weeks ago to start a business.

WOW what hospital did you work at i live in lodi, ca and cant find a job. please email me nennarox@yahoo.com

jeff in Newark, New Jersey

80 months ago

kool,and informative

sora in Minneapolis, Minnesota

80 months ago

Any one in twin cities(MN) area have suggestion for someone who did the schooling online but couldn't find internship.

RXTGMS2 in Millen, Georgia

80 months ago

I am a pharmacy tech for Rite Aid in Georgia - I know for a fact that Rite Aid's in this part of GA are very understaffed so I would look there! The starting pay is $7.50/hr.

rjc

80 months ago

If you are certified, look for a position with kaiser or one of the hospitals. The pay is going to be better and if you beocme IV certified even better

rjc

80 months ago

Pay your dues working for a cvs or walgreen or any other retail pharmacy to get your experience, than venture out after two years, don't let the low wage your going to get discourage you, remember it's all about experience first

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

debbie in Lake Elsinore, California

80 months ago

I I'm in a dead end job, x-ray/MA in a Dr's office x 15 yrs, thinking about going to school for pharm tech. I see there are other jobs like you stated, not just retail, but how do i locate these other jobs, when I know nothing about what is offered out there, please help,thanks Deb

rjc

80 months ago

go to a website called indeed.com and put in the kind of job your searching for and the location, for example I put in pharmacy technician, virginia and it will show me all the openings for a pharm tech in va. also you can do pharmtech and maybe a company you wish to work for.

jeff in Newark, New Jersey

80 months ago

how do i get a job as a pharmacy tech.i have a b.pharm(foreign),which is the most likely institution to hire me-i have more experience in the hospital setting.

how

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.