pharmacy technician salary

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1251 to 1267 of 1267)
Page:  « First « Previous   23  24  25  26   

malick mboumoh in Miami, Florida

15 months ago

artist101 in Hobart, Indiana said: I was a pharmacy tech for 8 years, what job are you doing now that is double that? Does it have anything to do with pharmacy/or medical? Ive been looking for a job for years since I was laid off. I loved it too. i ahven't found anything yet, have tried every area I could think of, from billing, medical reception, to sales rep.

you applied at CVS or publix already? I think you going to get job at the retail easily. keep apply

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

KJasko in Mesa, Arizona

15 months ago

Changing who we are in San Marcos, California said: All I have to say is "GOOD LUCK!" The Pharmacy Tech. market is saturated at this time. I have been a tech. for over 25 years and have held various positions in my career, anywhere from a Lead Pharmacy Tech., Homecare Distribution Mgr., Project/Ops. Mgr., Apps. Trainer. Due to the slump in the economy, I was forced to go back to inpatient pharmacy technician. BOY! Was I in for an eye opener. The salaries had not gone up at all. As a matter of fact, the salary I am currently is what it was 10 years ago. THAT SUCKS!

This is all due to supply and demand. There are more techs. out there and companies are taking advantage of all of us. That is because we are settling for pennies. This is not going to change until 2 things happen;
1) schools stop flooding the market and tell the students the truth about jobs out there (which they never will) or
2) we all stick together and standup for what we are worth.

So if you really want higher salaries, it will take more than one tech. to stand up and make something happen. There is no reason we should be making low salaries when we have gone to school to be better off. These salaries can be made else where, like Home Depot and Costco without having to go to school.

Good luck all

@Changing: Do you have any ideas on how we, the CPhT community,can stick together and stand up for what we're worth? Do I, as an individual, just ask for an amount of pay that I feel I am worth, hoping my application doesn't just get tossed in the garbage for having "unrealistic" expectations? How?

Sylphie in Indiana

14 months ago

Can anyone chime in whether this would be a bad career move if I'm weeak in math. Give me a calculator and I'm fine, but figuring up calculations in my head takes me time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Heather Rae J in Kent, Washington

14 months ago

I work at a long term care pharmacy and we start our techs at $18 an hour. As a pharmacy assistant, we get 13.25/hour. Not a lot of openings around, but definitely a great place to work, and though we pump out a ton of prescriptions every day, it is a lot more relaxed than a retail pharmacy. It is not a difficult job, by an means (we all have calculators, barely used). It is a nice job for sure!

Maci Larine in Humble, Texas

12 months ago

Hey guys, so I just got hired as a pharmacy technician at walgreens. They offered me 10.60 but I told them I wanted atleast 11.60 and they agreed. so i'm getting 11.60 a hour. it is a VERY busy pharmacy, do you think i'm getting underpaid?

Nat123 in Elmhurst, New York

12 months ago

I think you are getting paid well. No retail is as busy as they are in NY and i was getting paid $9 and working my butt off in walgreens although i had 3 yrs of experience. Appreciate what u have. Not many people have the luxury of being paid over $9 Even though they are certified at a retail pharmacy. Forget about even negotiating, we have to take it or leave it. You are very lucky. Congrats.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

I going to honest with you guys. I am working in retail business for one of the biggest Company in the nation. you guys know the name. Seriously if you want to be pharmacy technician to get pay more you "ALL WRONG". I working as a pharmacy tech and i went to school for it I spend over $15,000 for my tuition which was a big mistake. Honestly I regret it. Because the company i am working for which starts with the C provides training for all the new hires. There is no need to go to school for something because they show you pretty much everything and even pay for you PTCB. Going to a Pharmacy technician career is not worth it if you not thinking about becoming Pharmacist. There are a lot of things in the health care better than getting pay $7.5-$14. Think about it; a guy with no qualification working in a restaurant, hotel or a kitchen get pay more than you without any education. Why you want to go to school for something and be under paid? This is my contribution on this. you can't keep up with that paycheck from the retail business.
PS I am just here to the experience that will help me when I become pharmacist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Irene528 in Bristol, Virginia

12 months ago

is anybody out there from virginia working as a pharmacy tech? if so, how did you get certified and what's the pay like. College vs studying on your own?

11 months ago

Irene528 in Bristol, Virginia said: is anybody out there from virginia working as a pharmacy tech? if so, how did you get certified and what's the pay like. College vs studying on your own?

I am not living in Virginia. But I can tell you retail pay is suck. I got certified and PTCB when I applied for a job they offer me $10 which is less than what I was getting working in the hospitality business where there is no schooling required. So please Irene dont do the same mistake. College for Pharmacy tech is a WASTE OF MONEY.

Holly in Ankeny, Iowa

11 months ago

I live in Iowa near the capital, Des Moines. In hospitals and clinics, starting salary is sited at 12.25 at minimum. Retail (target, cvs, walgreens, etc) are sited at 10.25 minimum. I have a high school diploma and am attending general college courses toward an associates of science until I decide what direction to take in terms of a degree. I am currently studying on my own to take the PTCE along with getting some tips and pointers from my community college's head of department for pharmacy tech and nursing. While studying, I've applied to a couple of places and received interviews at each; so far I've been beat out by those already certified or with more experience than myself. However, I have been my cousin (a CPhT in IL) that even uncertified, I should not accept less than $9.50/hr; four other relatives in the medical field agree with the statement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eliza in Tacoma, Washington

7 months ago

I graduated in June from a pharmacy technician program. Here in Washington you have to be certified and licensed in order to work as a technician in the state. In the program you are required to do 2 externships; 1 for retail and 1 for inpatient hospital. My retail experience was at Target, there they start around $13-$14 an hour. My hospital experience was at a local hospital in Tacoma and I actually got offered a job there and the starting pay is $18.08 an hour with a pay raise twice a year plus amazing benefits. And that is with no work experience. So I would say if you are wanting to become a pharm tech hospital is your best bet. Unfortunately for most the only real way to get in is if you have an in. I was lucky to prove to be a great student there and they really wanted me to be apart of their team. So if you have the opportunity to intern at any hospital put your all into it and prove to be an amazing student who is eager to work and learn.

KatieCass in Seattle, Washington

7 months ago

Eliza in Tacoma, Washington said: I graduated in June from a pharmacy technician program. Here in Washington you have to be certified and licensed in order to work as a technician in the state. In the program you are required to do 2 externships; 1 for retail and 1 for inpatient hospital . My retail experience was at Target, there they start around $13-$14 an hour. My hospital experience was at a local hospital in Tacoma and I actually got offered a job there and the starting pay is $18.08 an hour with a pay raise twice a year plus amazing benefits. And that is with no work experience. So I would say if you are wanting to become a pharm tech hospital is your best bet. Unfortunately for most the only real way to get in is if you have an in. I was lucky to prove to be a great student there and they really wanted me to be apart of their team. So if you have the opportunity to intern at any hospital put your all into it and prove to be an amazing student who is eager to work and learn.

Hey Eliza,
I graduated from a pharmacy tech program in Washington too but only interned at a retail pharmacy. It's been two years and still no luck getting in. I feel so discouraged. I really need a job because I have a baby to care for and no income coming in.
Do you have any tips? I would love to work at a hospital but everywhere I've applied want that 1 year of experience, even retail. Any advice, please?

Eliza in Tacoma, Washington

7 months ago

KatieCass in Seattle, Washington said: Hey Eliza,
I graduated from a pharmacy tech program in Washington too but only interned at a retail pharmacy. It's been two years and still no luck getting in. I feel so discouraged. I really need a job because I have a baby to care for and no income coming in.
Do you have any tips? I would love to work at a hospital but everywhere I've applied want that 1 year of experience, even retail. Any advice, please?

Two years is a long time with no job leads or anything? Normally where you intern is you chance to show your knowledge, skills and work ethic to that employer for the chance that they will offer you a job. Thats how most of the pharm techs I know have gotten jobs in order to get that experience to move forward. If this is something you want to do I would try to put yourself out there going to different pharmacys and seeing if they are hiring. Maybe even the option of volunteer work since its been awhile.

Seriousaboutthis in Markham, Illinois

7 months ago

KatieCass in Seattle, Washington said: Hey Eliza,

If you can, look for mail order pharmacy located near you. If that is not an option, I would call the HR department of a local hospital, nursing home, LTC and asked if they have a PRN pharmacy technician position or even a volunteer position. You might get some headway if it is a small organization but hey stranger things have happened.

Carmona in Millbrae, California

6 months ago

I am thinking about to change career? Can anyone tell me that what's salary at the entry level in retails pharmacy (target, CVS) or institutional pharmacy (like Kaiser) in San Francisco bay area after finished the school? Thank you!

michelle in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

1 month ago

Sandy in Portland, Oregon said: I recently got licensed and certified here, and am having a hard time finding a pharmacy tech job. Everyone wants experience. Could anyone give me any advice on how to find a job!

start in retail like rite aid cvs or walgreens

sherrie in Hobart, Indiana

1 month ago

Ya. Retail is where I started
. You could try Target ad well.

Page:  « First « Previous   23  24  25  26   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.