pharmacy technician salary

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (251 to 300 of 1271)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

KEN in El Monte, California

106 months ago

HERE IN CSOME SCHOOLS FOR PHARM TECHS ARE $21 TO $240000. I KID YOU NOT.YOU HAVE TO BE A NUT TO PAY THOSE PRICES FOR THIS STUPID JOB.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida

106 months ago

KEN in El Monte, California said: HERE IN CSOME SCHOOLS FOR PHARM TECHS ARE $21 TO $240000. I KID YOU NOT.YOU HAVE TO BE A NUT TO PAY THOSE PRICES FOR THIS STUPID JOB.

people take desperate measures...95% of people that
attend these type of schools are there for the gov't
hand out, they have no job, no income, so there school
will be paid by the govt, or it will be a low repay loan.
the schools are so much more expensive then private ones is
because they know the govt is writing the checks on the most
part...its not that people want to pay $15-20k - the gov't
is picking up the tab for the most part...

Reply - Report abuse

Patt in Charlotte, North Carolina

106 months ago

The only school I talked with here is Tech Skills. I couldn't find any others in the Charlotte area. Possibly Allied is here, but they did not answer my internet contact. At first I thought $5000 wasn't too bad for a career change schooling; but when I found out about Penn Foster and Answorth online for $600.00, I began to question that $5000.

Since you teach this program, how do you compare the online vs. classroom programs. Do companies tend to hire the inclass people more? thanks for reply.

Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

Online has no merits at all..classroom is somewhat accredited with the state, and only a legit college offering a 2 year agree is accredited, and that might carry some braging rights, in my opinion, telling a potential employer that you took an online class. I would be embarrased to bring it up to think it would make much of a difference, or tell your employer that you took a 9 month pharmacy tech class? the phamacist that is interviewing went to school for 6 years..and you are going to brag you went to school for 9 months so you could learn some brand vs generics just to foget them by the time your out of school...?

you do not need to spend $5,000-15k to go to a pharmacy
tech school. when you are hired, you will be running the cash
register and counting pills to start...give me the money, I can tell you how to do that over the phone...and best part is, no one will care that you went to a tech school, you will make the same as the other tech that did not go to school..the only difference is he is debt free of school payments and you are not...

Reply - Report abuse

Vicki in Cleveland, Ohio

106 months ago

Soccer4life in boca raton, Florida said: VROSE pretty much put the facts out there ..... this job is not for the average person

First there are so many responsibilities as a pharmacy technician. If you can't type quickly and efficiently on a computer than you might as well not look for this job. You have to be able to multi-task. While I am typing one persons prescription I am on the phone talking to a customer (while typing correctly). I could be working on a prescription and a customer could walk up or a customers calls or a doctors office calls. At my store we have a drive-through which results in more running around between all the stations (drop off, pickup, drive through) and of course the normal typing prescriptions, getting pills of the shelves, counting.

Insurances are a royal pain in the butt... especially if you have to call them to fix a problem (time consuming). Coupons are worse because 99% of the time they dont have the proper codes and information.

Then you work with pharmacists that get paid $60 an hour but they are terrible at their job. They cant type or they dont know the computer system but the company still sends them which makes your job harder and more difficult. You have to do your work and their work. Not all pharmacists are like that but you have to deal with it. You have the slow ones, the old ones, the new ones....all the time.

This job is customer oriented .... so you will always deal with customers that want to give you a headache. It doesn't matter that it is not your mistake, it becomes your fault. A doctor doesn't sign a prescription, it is your fault... the doctor puts the strength of a medication that doesnt exist your fault.... insurance doesnt pay for a prescription it is your fault....insurance computer system is down, your fault... do i need to say more ....there have been days where i have gone home with a migraine and days i have taken advil because thats how ridiculous it was. Even after all this BS i sti

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Vicki in Cleveland, Ohio

106 months ago

I think everyone should be happy to be working and employable. I was in mortgage banking for the last 20 years making $50K + and was laid off again (3rd time in 9 years)due to the subprime mortgage mess. We were not doing subprime loans, but everyone slowed down, housing prices fell, foreclosures went up, etc. I have decided to move on to a different field. it sounds like a pharmacy technician job is feasible, as long as you have a G.E.D. I have a Bachelor's degree, although no on cares because it is from 1988. I think most companies would like to hire inexperienced, undeducated people that they can mold and force to drink the company "kool aid". A pharmacy technician job actually sounds pretty good to me right now, as I have been looking for work in mortgage banking since January. I know the pay is a lot less than what I was making, but I don't need that much to live on and there is a future. Maybe I will get the nerve to become a pharmacist after my daughter gets older. I applied at Walgreens. Does anybody know how to convince them that you can learn on the job?

Reply - Report abuse

H. Valdine :-D in Sacramento, California

106 months ago

Although some companies say they want someone who has graduated from a program, the truth is they are mostly concerned with experience and recommendations. However, when it comes to IV admixture and things like compounding the grads are a little more theory knowledgeable. That doesn't mean you can't learn really quick though if you're a quick learner and someplace is willing to train you. Personally, I would never pay thousands of dollars for this license. Keep in mind, this is only my opinion, and I'm already licensed, certified, and have a Bachelors.
Good Luck!!! The Pharmacy profession is definitely an exciting, fun career choice! Until you get burn-out that is!!! HAHA!!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

Does anyone know what the going rate is for pharm. tech. Instructors in North Carolina? What is the rate for hospital and retail techs.? Anyone from there? Any info. much appreciated! Thanks!!! :-)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Val T in Eugene, Oregon

106 months ago

pharmtech313 in California said: I had an interview for an Inpatient pharm position and was the strangest interview I've ever had for a hospital position. The Director had me waiting for 30 mins after the appt was scheduled. She didn't ask me many questions, besides asking me what I did at my past jobs. Then she said that she is going to give me a math test about IV's and TPN's, I did tell her I haven't done many IV's at all since my internship (5 yrs ago) and hardly any TPN's. I was like oh great.
She told me that I should just use my common sense, so as much as I completely forgot how to do all of those calculations- I did better on the TPN calculations. She said that I should know this stuff already and if I can do the TPN questions I can do the other ones. She made me try about 3 more times to get it right. I probably was working on that for 40 mins. At that point, I was already frustrated and told her I did what I can. Then she gave me a quick tour, didn't give me any chance to ask ?'s, she was kind of emotionless about everything. The funny thing is I've been looking for a job for over 2 mos. now and I am not waiting to hear from them. They were not very personable at all. I had this weird vibe the whole time...
Anyone ever had an interview where they already knew before you were done that you wouldn't want to work there?

I justmoved to Or from Ca. I have been a tech for six years, and just got certified. I have been unemployed for six months, I have had serveral interviews, I know how you feel, they are not personable and I have feld more times then not that it would not work there, and that was in about 10 min into it. I am almost ready to try something else, I am not young any more and times are hard to find a job that pays over min wage. Good Luck to you

Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

Vicki in Cleveland, Ohio said: I think everyone should be happy to be working and employable. I was in mortgage banking for the last 20 years making $50K + and was laid off again (3rd time in 9 years)due to the subprime mortgage mess. We were not doing subprime loans, but everyone slowed down, housing prices fell, foreclosures went up, etc. I have decided to move on to a different field. it sounds like a pharmacy technician job is feasible, as long as you have a G.E.D. I have a Bachelor's degree, although no on cares because it is from 1988. I think most companies would like to hire inexperienced, undeducated people that they can mold and force to drink the company "kool aid". A pharmacy technician job actually sounds pretty good to me right now, as I have been looking for work in mortgage banking since January. I know the pay is a lot less than what I was making, but I don't need that much to live on and there is a future. Maybe I will get the nerve to become a pharmacist after my daughter gets older. I applied at Walgreens. Does anybody know how to convince them that you can learn on the job?

You'll never make $50k as a pharmacy tech, and your degree means little as a pharmacy tech, you would be paid no more then what they are willing to pay, degree or no degree...and if you want to make $50k+
then find another field that would welcome your degree and experiance, if you started at my store, it would be at $9.00/hour and you are right with your degree most would consider you over qualified, and may not hire you thinking you would just be passing through...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

H. Valdine :-D in Sacramento, California said: Although some companies say they want someone who has graduated from a program, the truth is they are mostly concerned with experience and recommendations. However, when it comes to IV admixture and things like compounding the grads are a little more theory knowledgeable. That doesn't mean you can't learn really quick though if you're a quick learner and someplace is willing to train you. Personally, I would never pay thousands of dollars for this license. Keep in mind, this is only my opinion, and I'm already licensed, certified, and have a Bachelors.
Good Luck!!! The Pharmacy profession is definitely an exciting, fun career choice! Until you get burn-out that is!!! HAHA!!

I did some admixture and compounding on my extern...apparently not enough to be hired in a hospital...I was even getting the hang of doing TPN's...I think anyone could be trained to do whatever...only if it was that easy, then we would all be hired...when the life of someone hangs in the tech's hands, im sure they do not want inexp techs compounding..
as much as I would like to compound, realisticly I do not think it will ever happen...unless i just get lucky...and they are in need.

Reply - Report abuse

adelyn in walnut creek, California

106 months ago

In my situation. I been graduated for almost a year now, and I keep applying for extern. but walgreens not allow me because of my school. I think it is good if you go to school in campus not in the online school "like I do", that's why they never let me took my extern. because lack of exposure. But, I Am still hoping and praying that I could be a Pharm. Tech. someday. I am getting ready to take the national exam. and hoping for the best.

Good Luck to All Pharm. tech.

Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

pharmtech313 in California said: I had an interview for an Inpatient pharm position and was the strangest interview I've ever had for a hospital position. The Director had me waiting for 30 mins after the appt was scheduled. She didn't ask me many questions, besides asking me what I did at my past jobs. Then she said that she is going to give me a math test about IV's and TPN's, I did tell her I haven't done many IV's at all since my internship (5 yrs ago) and hardly any TPN's. I was like oh great.
She told me that I should just use my common sense, so as much as I completely forgot how to do all of those calculations- I did better on the TPN calculations. She said that I should know this stuff already and if I can do the TPN questions I can do the other ones. She made me try about 3 more times to get it right. I probably was working on that for 40 mins. At that point, I was already frustrated and told her I did what I can. Then she gave me a quick tour, didn't give me any chance to ask ?'s, she was kind of emotionless about everything. The funny thing is I've been looking for a job for over 2 mos. now and I am not waiting to hear from them. They were not very personable at all. I had this weird vibe the whole time...
Anyone ever had an interview where they already knew before you were done that you wouldn't want to work there?

I think mine is worst than you do. I think I get hired for extern. because the district manager told me that they will let me know when I can start and I am very excited but when I follow-up it. He said they can't allow me because I am lack of exposure inside the pharmacy.
I am recently working in target store right now and they are opening doors for me, I am a cashier, as well as a back-up in the target pharmacy. I am just blessed because Target manager are very supportive and they are welling to help me. I am still waiting for them to have another pharm. tech. opening. but right now I am cashier.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

Val T in Eugene, Oregon said: I justmoved to Or from Ca. I have been a tech for six years, and just got certified. I have been unemployed for six months, I have had serveral interviews, I know how you feel, they are not personable and I have feld more times then not that it would not work there, and that was in about 10 min into it. I am almost ready to try something else, I am not young any more and times are hard to find a job that pays over min wage. Good Luck to you

moving does not take that long. I guess one would ask why you have
been umployeed for 6 months? did you get fired from your last job, and maybe thats why you cant find work...it just seems like your leaving an empty spot thinking we have the answers for you...6 years exp and cant find work as a tech, yes that does spark a question or two...I had no exp, sent out some resumes, a week later I was working...your 6 years exp does not add up for some reason...

Reply - Report abuse

Val T in Eugene, Oregon

106 months ago

to V Rose No I did not get fired, I have worked in the prison system, and long term care(bubble packing) and some IV's I have only had three months in the retail setting, so I don't have much insurance billing. MOST RX's do not want to take the time to teach, and most find that you should have more experience in billing. As if that is the only kind of things techs do,(RETAIL) I really like working in the prisons, but there are no prisons where I live, and I will not commute that far where they are. There are only a few hospitals and I have never made it to an interview, jobs are very limited around here not just in Rx. So I am keeping more options open as well. I never had trouble when I lived in Ca. I always had a job down there. I just got a job with Safeway as a floater and I will be happy with that, but will also find something else to do part time. thanks for responding

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Val T in Eugene, Oregon

106 months ago

V ROSE WHO ARE YOU? AND WHAT ARE YOU? WHERE DO YOU WORK? WHO DIED AND LEFT YOU IN CHARGE OF THE FORUM? DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY ABOUT ALL THE ONES YOU REPLY TO? ARE A TECH LIKE THE REST OF US TRYING TO MAKE SOMETHING OF OURSELVES WHEN MAYBE WE HAVE HAD A HARDER TIME IN LIFE. SOME OF US OLDER PEOPLE NEED TO MAKE CHANGES IN LIFE WHEN SOME JOBS DON'T TURN OUT THE WAY THEY SHOULD. AND TO WORK FOR MIN. WAGE OR JUST ABOVE, WHEN I KNOW I CAN DO SOMETHING ELSE AND NOT HAVE ALL THE CRAP OF THE INSURANCE. I ENJOY DOING WHAT I DO. BUT WHEN IT COMES TO SOME PHARMICISTS THEY DO NOT WANT PEOPLE THAT HAVE NOT BEEN IN THE RETAIL WORLD, BUT WHERE DO YOU LEARN TO THAT. DO THEY EVER REMEMBER WHAT IS WAS LIKE WHEN THEY FIRST TRIED TO DO SOMETHING FOR THE FIRT TIME. THEY THINK YOU SHOULD BE ALREADY TRAINED IN ALL AREAS. AND WITH YOURSELF ATTITUDE WHO WOULD WANT TO WORK FOR YOU. YES I TO HAVE BEEN OVER QUALIFIED FOR JOBS, BUT YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO. I HAD AN INTERVIEW IN CERTAIN STORE WON'T NAME THE PLACE AND THE PHARMICIST DID NOT EVEN KNOW HOW TO LOOK ME UP IN THE SYSTEM, HE HAD TO CALL A CLERK. (WHO MAKES THE BIG BUCKS) WHILE ALL THE PEONS DO ALL THE RUNNING OF EVERYTHING ELSE. LOVE TO ALL YOU HARD WORKING TECHS.

Reply - Report abuse

kim in Visalia, California

106 months ago

adelyn in walnut creek, California said: In my situation. I been graduated for almost a year now, and I keep applying for extern. but walgreens not allow me because of my school. I think it is good if you go to school in campus not in the online school "like I do", that's why they never let me took my extern. because lack of exposure. But, I Am still hoping and praying that I could be a Pharm. Tech. someday. I am getting ready to take the national exam. and hoping for the best.

Good Luck to All Pharm. tech.

what school did u go to that walgeens will not let you extern? have you heard about the 10% medical cut in calif? its going to affect all the retail pharm. in ca. I heard that walgreens might even start laying people off because each store will lose like $50,000.00 a month

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

Val T in Eugene, Oregon said: V ROSE WHO ARE YOU? AND WHAT ARE YOU? WHERE DO YOU WORK? WHO DIED AND LEFT YOU IN CHARGE OF THE FORUM? DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY ABOUT ALL THE ONES YOU REPLY TO? ARE A TECH LIKE THE REST OF US TRYING TO MAKE SOMETHING OF OURSELVES WHEN MAYBE WE HAVE HAD A HARDER TIME IN LIFE. SOME OF US OLDER PEOPLE NEED TO MAKE CHANGES IN LIFE WHEN SOME JOBS DON'T TURN OUT THE WAY THEY SHOULD. AND TO WORK FOR MIN. WAGE OR JUST ABOVE, WHEN I KNOW I CAN DO SOMETHING ELSE AND NOT HAVE ALL THE CRAP OF THE INSURANCE. I ENJOY DOING WHAT I DO. BUT WHEN IT COMES TO SOME PHARMICISTS THEY DO NOT WANT PEOPLE THAT HAVE NOT BEEN IN THE RETAIL WORLD, BUT WHERE DO YOU LEARN TO THAT. DO THEY EVER REMEMBER WHAT IS WAS LIKE WHEN THEY FIRST TRIED TO DO SOMETHING FOR THE FIRT TIME. THEY THINK YOU SHOULD BE ALREADY TRAINED IN ALL AREAS. AND WITH YOURSELF ATTITUDE WHO WOULD WANT TO WORK FOR YOU. YES I TO HAVE BEEN OVER QUALIFIED FOR JOBS, BUT YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO. I HAD AN INTERVIEW IN CERTAIN STORE WON'T NAME THE PLACE AND THE PHARMICIST DID NOT EVEN KNOW HOW TO LOOK ME UP IN THE SYSTEM, HE HAD TO CALL A CLERK. (WHO MAKES THE BIG BUCKS) WHILE ALL THE PEONS DO ALL THE RUNNING OF EVERYTHING ELSE. LOVE TO ALL YOU HARD WORKING TECHS.

You are free to do what you want, you can stay in dead oregon, or you can move back to ca where you said jobs are plentiful, and if you do not want advice then do not post. personally, I think the insurance gig is just an excuse not to hire...it does take time to learn about the insurance crap, but i was never asked that anyway... I was asked something like "have you ever handled money" like that isnt a dumb question, we handle money ever day of our lives, would a store be really any different? we would not lose our own, so why would we lose
the stores money...if you can learn any pharmacies computer system, then you can learn insurance, it does take time..

Reply - Report abuse

Val T in Eugene, Oregon

106 months ago

V Rose Thanks for the non direct answers, What are some of the wages in FL? And are you happy making what you make? And are you a younger person who can live on smaller amounts of money? that never came into the answer.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Val T in Eugene, Oregon

106 months ago

Hey Vicki in Cleveland,OH I know how you feel, I wanted to talk more with you. I wanted to know if you would email me off the forum, valmom@q.com there are some things I would like to share with you. Thanks hope to talk to you soon. Val

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

kim in Visalia, California said: what school did u go to that walgeens will not let you extern? have you heard about the 10% medical cut in calif? its going to affect all the retail pharm. in ca. I heard that walgreens might even start laying people off because each store will lose like $50,000.00 a month

Hi Kim, I go to online school which is the bad decission, walgreens will not let pharm. tech. student or recent grad. to take entern. if you go to online school because They said: It is lack of exposure inside the pharmacy plus CA is very competitive. Some of here has a luck finding the job.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Vicki in Cleveland, Ohio

106 months ago

Val T in Eugene, Oregon said: Hey Vicki in Cleveland,OH I know how you feel, I wanted to talk more with you. I wanted to know if you would email me off the forum, valmom@q.com there are some things I would like to share with you. Thanks hope to talk to you soon. Val

Just sent you an e-mail.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Vicki in Cleveland, Ohio

106 months ago

Your e-mail adddress again?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in Mobile, Alabama

106 months ago

2Jazzy in Mobile, Alabama said: Wow, so I guess this means that I may be getting underpaid big time. I am not yet certified (still waiting on my scores on October 12th) and having been making $8.00/hr since starting here at Kmart in May 2007. So the hospital allows you to get overtime? That's definitely what I need since in retail they don't allow you to get a single hour over 40.

How long have you been working for kmart? I am currently working for kmart as well and I am only being payed $ 7.50 an hour. But I am part time. I just took the Certification exam and passed it but I am having a hard time getting a raise.: ( I am going to college as well to try to get into pharmacy school and I want to work somewhere that I can get a lot of experience before i apply.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

pharmtech313 in Los Angeles, California

106 months ago

Val T in Eugene, Oregon said: I justmoved to Or from Ca. I have been a tech for six years, and just got certified. I have been unemployed for six months, I have had serveral interviews, I know how you feel, they are not personable and I have feld more times then not that it would not work there, and that was in about 10 min into it. I am almost ready to try something else, I am not young any more and times are hard to find a job that pays over min wage. Good Luck to you

Hi ValT- An old colleague of mine moved to OR from CA about a year ago and she got a job really quick, but even though it wasn't that long ago, times were different then. I was very surprised she got hired so quickly before she even moved there, she had a phone interview.

However, I have now been unemployed for 5 months, still interviewing here and there. I have even had to take odd jobs to have some income while I look for a Pharm. Tech job. I prefer not to do retail, although I could probably get hired at a retail store, I already know what I do not want to do. But so far, I have had no offers. With the job market right now and economy, the AVERAGE time it takes for unemployed to find a job is 5 mos. It is very tough out there right now with so many candidates/competition. I have currently started college again because I've realized I do not want to do this forever, but I still need to work.
I hope you find something soon. Thank you.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Val T in Eugene, Oregon

106 months ago

valmom@q.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Vicki in Cleveland, Ohio

106 months ago

Val T in Eugene, Oregon said: valmom@q.com

Unfortunately I cannot send you an e-mail, yahoo is having a problem with the delivery to valmom@q.com

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

Jessica in Mobile, Alabama said: How long have you been working for kmart? I am currently working for kmart as well and I am only being payed $ 7.50 an hour. But I am part time. I just took the Certification exam and passed it but I am having a hard time getting a raise.: ( I am going to college as well to try to get into pharmacy school and I want to work somewhere that I can get a lot of experience before i apply.

what are you expecting as far as a raise? I doubt they would give
much, maybe .25-50cents...you are paid a low wage for a reason, so your raise would not be that much..If you are looking for more $$ then you would have a better shot at changing pharmacy jobs...I will get $1 more after 400 hours, but after that, the small raises I would get would not be enough to help out with gas...these compaines keep us at low wages for a reason, they are not regulated like they should be, and techs can be found a dime a dozen which keeps wages low...if one day school is required to become a tech, then wages would surely go up...but that is not likely to happen anytime soon...if it happens at all...

Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

adelyn in walnut creek, California said: Hi Kim, I go to online school which is the bad decission, walgreens will not let pharm. tech. student or recent grad. to take entern. if you go to online school because They said: It is lack of exposure inside the pharmacy plus CA is very competitive. Some of here has a luck finding the job.

Walgreens seems to hold a higher standard for techs..maybe thats why techs at walgreens make a little more then other pharmacies...you can not expect any pharmacy to think that some online pharmacy class is going to do it...If i had too, i would only use a online class to study for the exam itself, I would not embarras myself by telling an employer that I took an online class and expect to get a job...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

Val T in Eugene, Oregon said: V Rose Thanks for the non direct answers, What are some of the wages in FL? And are you happy making what you make? And are you a younger person who can live on smaller amounts of money? that never came into the answer.

I make $9/hr.. who is really happy with that?? but what can you
expect with no experiance...I am not young :) I have a spouse
that brings in the bread and butter...I guess you can call what
little i make extra butter :) Do I like retail, no, I hate it, but
I knew i had to do it if i wanted to work...I would much rather
do IV's...but realisticly with no experiance, that may not happen,
only time will tell what experiance will do for me in the future.
I might hang out at this store for the time being, and I assure
you my next job will be $12+ this is where the experiance comes in...

Reply - Report abuse

Val T in Eugene, Oregon

106 months ago

sorry about that my other email is aroundtheworldmom@yahoo.com you could try that. thanks Val (I used to work with foriegn exchange students, long email address that I don't use that much)

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Val T in Eugene, Oregon

106 months ago

Hi pharmtech313 I really can relate to being unemployed, moving to another state right after Christmas in the snow and looking for work, wow, this is getting old real fast. Yes with the economy and all boy do I know about competition, yes I have intervied for a few different things, most people up here said it takes about 5-7 months to find work, I have been close a few time even second interviews, but there is always someone else, I just got picked up by Safeway as a floater for different stores, I have four days of training starting on Monday. four hrs away from my home, but they reimburse, thank goodness. Things are starting to happen, and I hope for you that things happen quickly. Where you live you would think there are more opp. but I understand about the competition. What are you taking in college? and are you intrested in some other ways to make more money and help people as well? if so, you can email me off the forum and we can talk about something wonderful, that I am doing! you can email me at valmom@q.com if that does not work try aroundtheworldmom@yahoo.com. Would like to talk to you more. And thanks for taking time to write, best of luck to you Val T.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Val T in Eugene, Oregon

106 months ago

VRose in Belle Glade, Florida said: I make $9/hr.. who is really happy with that?? but what can you
expect with no experiance...I am not young :) I have a spouse
that brings in the bread and butter...I guess you can call what
little i make extra butter :) Do I like retail, no, I hate it, but
I knew i had to do it if i wanted to work...I would much rather
do IV's...but realisticly with no experiance, that may not happen,
only time will tell what experiance will do for me in the future.
I might hang out at this store for the time being, and I assure
you my next job will be $12+ this is where the experiance comes in...

Hey VRose I wanted to mention to you about closed door pharmacies, have you heard of them and are there any in your area? I have worked for a few and I loved them, you do not have to do retail (which I hate as well) all you do is pack pills and sometimes make IV'S. I started there when I got our of school, and also mail order ones as well. But I think they deal with insurance though, I know when I looked in my area for closed door there are only two, they are not listed in the phone book, so you should inquire to some smaller RX's and they might help you. There are quite a few compounding RX's but they want experience, I would like to learn that to make myself more well rounded, Thanks Val

Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

Val T in Eugene, Oregon said: Hey VRose I wanted to mention to you about closed door pharmacies, have you heard of them and are there any in your area? I have worked for a few and I loved them, you do not have to do retail (which I hate as well) all you do is pack pills and sometimes make IV'S. I started there when I got our of school, and also mail order ones as well. But I think they deal with insurance though, I know when I looked in my area for closed door there are only two, they are not listed in the phone book, so you should inquire to some smaller RX's and they might help you. There are quite a few compounding RX's but they want experience, I would like to learn that to make myself more well rounded, Thanks Val

Once i have a little retail exp, then I will start looking into those pharmacies. I know on my extern, I did IV's and warehouse, and never had to mess with insurance problems, but I have long since moved, but once I have something to offer, I will start looking outward...

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

cash

106 months ago

u said everything i was thinking u must work for c.v.s

Reply - Report abuse

LAKHVIR KAUR in Bakersfield, California

106 months ago

I am taking ptcb exam in june,2008. I am little bit worried about my exam. May be exam diffecult or easy.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

Don't even stress on it if you know your stuff. Everyone had me all scared to take it and once I did I couldn't believe the ease. Seriously, if you know your drugs, sigs, laws, etc. , you'll do fine! People are giving the exam way... tooo... much credit as a hard exam, when in fact it's really not. I won't say it's too easy, it's definately info. any tech should know. Good Luck!! Be Confident!! :-D

Reply - Report abuse

Val T in Eugene, Oregon

106 months ago

Hey don't worry so much about it, How long have you been a tech? The test is not that hard, if you know the math and the laws, the rest is stuff you do all the time. I have been a tech for six years, and just moved to another state. I just took my PTCB, in April of the year. I passed it after stressing about it for about 2 weeks. I just got a job with Safeway and I start next week. math wsa basic, and the law is to remember. Good luck Val Or.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Val T in Eugene, Oregon

106 months ago

H. Valdine :-D in Sacramento, California said: Don't even stress on it if you know your stuff. Everyone had me all scared to take it and once I did I couldn't believe the ease. Seriously, if you know your drugs, sigs, laws, etc. , you'll do fine! People are giving the exam way... tooo... much credit as a hard exam, when in fact it's really not. I won't say it's too easy, it's definately info. any tech should know. Good Luck!! Be Confident!! :-D

here here that I what I mean, and being in Ca you should find a job with no problem. Do sweet it too much. Just be confindent!!!! you will be fine Val

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Mercy in Las Vegas, Nevada

105 months ago

I am currently finishing a pharmacy technician program through a vocational school. I paid over 15k to do this, I had to do 300 hrs of internship for Walgreens and was informed that I did not even have to go through school for this job..Is this true? Did I really just waste all this money and time to do this? I just got offered a job at CVS which starting pay is 10/hr. I have not taken the exam yet but plan on doing it before the year is over. Will that raise my wages? From reading all these posts I am very disappointed. Yeah you can make decent money by working so much overtime but who really wants to work their brains out just to eat and keep a roof over your head. If anyone has any suggestions on what can someone coming right out as a student can do in order to make a little more money. Will hospitals hire someone with little experience? Would it be better for me to move back to CA if I would like to pursue this career?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Val T in Eugene, Oregon

105 months ago

Hi Mercy I reallly know who you feel, I felt the same way I lived in Ca and made o.k. money then I moved to OR and the money is not that good here and it took me 6 months to find a job just got on with Safeway. I think the hospital paymore, and even more for inpatient, You should get a raise when you pass the national. I can not believe schools charge that much. Good Luck to you

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Mercy in Las Vegas, Nevada

105 months ago

Val T in Eugene, Oregon said: Hi Mercy I reallly know who you feel, I felt the same way I lived in Ca and made o.k. money then I moved to OR and the money is not that good here and it took me 6 months to find a job just got on with Safeway. I think the hospital paymore, and even more for inpatient, You should get a raise when you pass the national. I can not believe schools charge that much. Good Luck to you

Thanks Val for the response. I guess I'm just going to focus on obtaining my national and just apply to every hospital I possibly can and hope for the best. I was thinking about moving to Oregon with a friend of mine but maybe that's not the best move either. Here in Vegas it's easy to get on as a tech because this city is so transient they need people, but they don't pay you much here either.. And believe me these schools charge an arm and a leg..so if you here of anyone wanting to go through this schooling, inform them that it's a pure rip off..Thanks for the luck Val..Good Luck to you in your career as well.

Reply - Report abuse

Cece in Chattanooga, Tennessee

105 months ago

rjc said: My friend, since you are in georgia go straight to kaiser permenete and get a job. I hear that they pay 16.00 p/h with no experience they are a good company to work for and if you can't get a job with kaiser, then any hospital that is connected with the teneth health group. remember one thing, get hospital experience first if you can because if you have hospital experience you can work in a hospital or retail setting but if you only have retail experienc the hospitals are very slow about hiring a tech with only retail experience, good luck

Thanks rjc for that bit of info.

Reply - Report abuse

Val T in Eugene, Oregon

105 months ago

Hi Mercy
have you been a tech long? and if not dont stress so much about the test, I sure did, I have not done Rx for over three years and I took it and passed. The hospitals won't even look at my resume because I have had 5 positions in four years. most of them were contract/temp so I stopped appling there. But really try to get into the hospital better pay and they usually are great companies, also try closed door Rx they usually do long term care and they are not in the phonebook. Ask a small independent one they might help. pay is so so there but you don't have to deal with insurance. write back when you can Take care Val

Reply - Report abuse

LIZ in San Diego, California

105 months ago

angela in Everett, Washington said: No you don't need college course for the exam. Seeing you are a retired dr. you will be able to ace it. Good luck.

Angela

DEAR DOCTOR.............AS A RETIRED (MOSTLY!) REGISTERED NURSE, I FIND THAT THE MINIMAL 240 HOURS REQUIRED(OUT OF THE 262 HOURS OFFERED) TO COMPLETE THE STATE REQUIREMENTS TO SIT FOR THE EXAM HERE IN CALIFORNIA IS MERELY A GOOD REVIEW. THE INTERACTION WITH THOSE LESS KNOWLEDGEABLE WHO ARE JUST LEARNING TRADE/GENERICS, TERMINOLOGY, ASEPTIC TECHNIQUE AND APPRORIATE PROFESSIONAL ATTITUDE IS REALLY A BONUS! ALSO, THEY ARE ALL MUCH YOUNGER AND THAT IS REFRESHING. RETIREMENT IS GRAND, HOWEVER, THE NEED FOR PHARM TECHS IS GROWING DUE TO ALL OF US BOOMERS AND IT IS REWARDING TO "STAY IN THE CIRCLE" WHILE NOT HAVING THE SAME RESPONSIBILITIES AS IN THE PAST. MUCH SUCCESS TO US!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

R Lockett in Portland, Oregon

105 months ago

Hello I am a Certified and licensed pharmacy Technician who is seeking employment in portland, Oregon. I have sent in numorous applications online to many different pharmacies and hospitals, but i am always turned down. Do you have any advice to offer that might help me overcome this obsitcle. Plus if you have any knowledge of any openings in oregon i would appreciate that as well.
thank you.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

kavitha in Plano, Texas

105 months ago

I've passed my exam couple of months back...but still in search of job.. is there any site for applying jobs.plz help me out

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Cary, North Carolina

105 months ago

Hi Kavitha,

Did you go thru a training program? If so, do they have any leads? Do you have access to a computer? Do you have an email alert set up with indeed.com? Indeed.com is a good source for job listings. Do you have reliable transportation? Anything going on in Dallas? Let me know what you've done so far and maybe we can go from there.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

kavitha in Plano, Texas

105 months ago

Dee in Cary, North Carolina said: Hi Kavitha,

Did you go thru a training program? If so, do they have any leads? Do you have access to a computer? Do you have an email alert set up with indeed.com? Indeed.com is a good source for job listings. Do you have reliable transportation? Anything going on in Dallas? Let me know what you've done so far and maybe we can go from there.

Thanks !!
But I didn't take any training program.I've registered in indeed.com couple of weeks back.I've trasportaion facility.I've been applying for cvs, Walgrees....but of no use.Do I need to take any training ? If so where can I persue the training.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

R Lockett in Portland, Oregon

105 months ago

This is to Kavitha,
Hello again, and as to your questions:
1. Yes I have formal training.
2. Yes I have good Transportation.
3. Yes i have an e-mail elert set up with indeed.com.
so what do you think. I would be greatful for any help leading to a good job opening in oregon.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.