volunteer intern permit

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (42)

keivn31 in Renton, Washington

82 months ago

Hi, what is the best book to study for PTCB test and is this book are up-to-dated? What about the math calculation does is have alot of it to practice and other subject too? How do I get walgreen intern premit to work after I pass the test? I don't know how many people have taking the PTCB test that are passed and I am not sure I can pass the PTCB test after I study it? Please, anyone who have gone throught this path let me know and I appreciated your advise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

john in Eden Prairie, Minnesota

82 months ago

I noticed you used the word "volunteer" in your title. You will never be allowed to volunteer as a pharmacy tech in many places.. some hospital pharmacies do have volunteers, but your status is considered lower then low, and as a volunteer, you will not be allowed to do much of anything, maybe put put drugs back on shelf, do some drug running...thats about it.

in reality, I do not know which PTCB is better then another, every time i think i find one, it has bad comments, or constant errors in the book...knowing your math will improve your scoring chances over anything else...and for a new person looking in a book at math forumulas can become overwelming very quickly..then you have to do with with the fact you have to self study, its not an easy task
as some make it out to be...if self study was easy, then the whole
population would be taking courses online...self study takes a lot of
self control...you can not possibity study and remember everything
in any book, but if you remember anything, make sure its your math
formulas...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Astrid in Cincinnati, Ohio

82 months ago

When I took the test, it was extremly easy. I took a course provided by Walgreens which presented us with a ton of formulas and such. They were all useless on the exam. My advice is to know that there are 5 mls in a teaspoon and 15 mls in a tbls, and there are 30 mls in an oz. Also, it's important to know how to cross multiply. Each and everyone of my coworkers had a question about the "lamnar hood" (how to use it, clean it, etc. I've never used one in my life and still dont know exactly what it is..) Also, my test had a TON of legal questions (incepted laws, what there names are, which was awful because the only one I knew was HIPPA :/) There were no drug interaction questions or anything like that.
It's pretty easy to pass. Work at walgreens. They provide paid for courses and pay for the test up to three times and provide a book, work book, and flash cards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Andrea in Florissant, Missouri

80 months ago

keivn31 in Renton, Washington said: Hi, what is the best book to study for PTCB test and is this book are up-to-dated? What about the math calculation does is have alot of it to practice and other subject too? How do I get walgreen intern premit to work after I pass the test? I don't know how many people have taking the PTCB test that are passed and I am not sure I can pass the PTCB test after I study it? Please, anyone who have gone throught this path let me know and I appreciated your advise.

YES, YES DO I HAVE THE ANSWER FOR YOU, WE DO SIMINARS ON THE PHARMACY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION (PTCB) EXAM. $100 FOR AN 8 HOUR SESSION, JUST NEED MIN OF 10 STUDENTS TO REGISTER. STUDY MATERIAL FROM THE AMERICAN PHARMACY ASSOCIATION WILL BE AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

David in Brooklyn, New York

69 months ago

I have a Pharmacy Technician Cerificate for 3 yrs
and i want to work...
But pharmacy can't hire me because i don't have experience
what should i do ? if there is any volunteer job for pharmacy
so can i get experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

armchavez323@netzero.net in Los Angeles, California

68 months ago

David in Brooklyn, New York said: I have a Pharmacy Technician Cerificate for 3 yrs
and i want to work...
so can i get experience?

"ARMANDO IN LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA" I ALSO HAVE A CERTIFICATE FOR ONE YEAR TOO. BUT, THIS IS WHAT I AM GOING TO DO. FIRST, WE NEED TO STUDY AND PASS THE THE CERTIFICATION BOARD EXAM AND THEN, WE NEED TO GET OUR LICENSE FROM OUR STATES WHERE WE LIVE. ONECE WE HAVE OUR LICENSE FROM OUR STATES, WE WILL HAVE AT LEAST 60% CHANCES TO GET HIRE. IT IS A COMPANY CALLED AEROTEK,WHERE THEY HIRE YOU WITH OUT WORK EXPERIENCE OK. THIS IS THE ADD http:scientific.thingamajob.com/jobs .or try AEROTEK.COM.
SO GOOD LUCK AND I WISH YOU THE BEST

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

brown_dude34 in Somerville, Massachusetts

68 months ago

The book you need is:

Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review
by Patricia K.Anthony

Study each chapter for 4 months I guarantee you will pass the national PTCB test. The PTCB test is based off of this book. It has all the sample math questions and will teach you how to work out the formula problems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

wata fool in Houston, Texas

68 months ago

Andrea in Florissant, Missouri said: YES, YES DO I HAVE THE ANSWER FOR YOU, WE DO SIMINARS ON THE PHARMACY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION (PTCB) EXAM. $100 FOR AN 8 HOUR SESSION, JUST NEED MIN OF 10 STUDENTS TO REGISTER. STUDY MATERIAL FROM THE AMERICAN PHARMACY ASSOCIATION WILL BE AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE.

you should do a SIMINAR in spelling.......then i'll consider taking your course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Im a Certifide Pharmacy Technician not a Spelling Teacher

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Better Ways in Houston, Texas

68 months ago

Its "certified," and why would I pay someone a ridiculous amount of money ($100), for 8 hours of studying. You're looking to make $125 an hour "teaching" and I suspect I would spend half the time correcting you. There is no logic in paying someone who is sub par in learning ability. At least learn to spell certified, its part of your title for crying out loud. Stop trying to rip people off. Anyone who needs to study for the PTCB can do it on their own. Its easy, don't be scared at all, just do it and dedicate yourself, the test is NOT hard, you just need to apply yourself mentally and prepare for the topics at hand and be SERIOUS about it. As to you Mr. Certified, you're a certified tech not a certified teacher. Plus this isn't an advertisement board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

My classes has helped 25 technicians get certified we are doing well, and I have 3 pharmacist helping also. Dont get upset my classes save people thousands of $ thank you for your reply

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Liz CPhT in Salt Lake City, Utah

68 months ago

I have been Certified since 2000. The test was not real easy for me but I was older, the Math was hard for me. What I did was went to the PTCB website every night for 1 month and took the Practice Test, it has sample questions of everything you could be tested on. I bought the book to study but did not hardly use it. I think now you have to pay for the Practice Test but it does have a few different samples of every section of the test. I would recommend that, it really helped me and I got a really good job at the biggest Hospital in SLC. I do alot of different jobs, my favorite is working with the Transplant Team. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Liz CPhT in Salt Lake City, Utah

68 months ago

Better Ways in Houston, Texas said: Its "certified," and why would I pay someone a ridiculous amount of money ($100), for 8 hours of studying. You're looking to make $125 an hour "teaching" and I suspect I would spend half the time correcting you. There is no logic in paying someone who is sub par in learning ability. At least learn to spell certified, its part of your title for crying out loud. Stop trying to rip people off. Anyone who needs to study for the PTCB can do it on their own. Its easy, don't be scared at all, just do it and dedicate yourself, the test is NOT hard, you just need to apply yourself mentally and prepare for the topics at hand and be SERIOUS about it. As to you Mr. Certified, you're a certified tech not a certified teacher. Plus this isn't an advertisement board.

Exactly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tuyet Pham in Arlington, Texas

64 months ago

I need working as a pharmacy technician volunteer but I hard to find a position like that in a hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

gloria in Dallas, Texas

63 months ago

WHAT COMPANY WILL GIVE YOU A CHANCE TO AQUIRE THE WORKING EXPERIENCE ONCE YOU HAVE RECEIVED YOUR CERTIFICATION. I AM NEEDING A WINDOW OR DOOR TO OPEN. I HAVE BEEN CERTIFIED FOR ALMOST FOURTEEN MONTHS AND I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND EMPLOYMENT AS A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN WITHOUT THE WORK EXPERIENCE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Montgomery, Alabama

59 months ago

Better Ways in Houston, Texas said: Its "certified," and why would I pay someone a ridiculous amount of money ($100), for 8 hours of studying. You're looking to make $125 an hour "teaching" and I suspect I would spend half the time correcting you. There is no logic in paying someone who is sub par in learning ability. At least learn to spell certified, its part of your title for crying out loud. Stop trying to rip people off. Anyone who needs to study for the PTCB can do it on their own. Its easy, don't be scared at all, just do it and dedicate yourself, the test is NOT hard, you just need to apply yourself mentally and prepare for the topics at hand and be SERIOUS about it. As to you Mr. Certified, you're a certified tech not a certified teacher. Plus this isn't an advertisement board.

LOL!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CUZICAN86X in Ocala, Florida

58 months ago

PTCB RIP OFF

PTCB is a rip off. First of all I got a soliciitation email from them on 12/01/2009 stating that if I registered for the PTCE before 12/31/2009 that I would recieve a free test. So, I did that.....and I waited, and I waited and I waited. No free test. So I called. They say that I would have had to take the test by 12/31/2009 to get the free practice test. The email clearly stated to register by 12/31/2009. #1 rip off. #2 rip off was that when I decided to withdraw from the exam they kept $25.00 of my refund. Now mind you I took all the necessary steps to assure my full refund. I canceled 3 days before my scheduled exam day. I called them and they say that the $25.00 was for an application fee. I looked at their on line policy and there is no reference to this whatsoever either at the time of application or upon withdrawal. Now they say that there was an auto generated message that appeared when I withdrew. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Consequently, I have filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TechnicianQueen in Washington, District of Columbia

53 months ago

I don't think any one idea is going to be right for everyone! we are all different learners and require information in different ways. Some people can self study and pass the exam others have to be taught the information. With that being said if you are not a self study type of person the best thing to do is look for the cheapest route possible and utilize it to the best of your ability, I did my course at a education center called pass now, and it was only 6 weeks and I did volunteer work while I was taking the class so after passing the exam it was easy for me to find a job! plus the people at Pass Now will write you letters of recommendation and/or anything esle you might need they were really cool and I didn't find the test to be to difficult! there website is www.passnowedu.com for those of you that learn better in a classroom!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aal77 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

52 months ago

Where can I go to volunteer as a Pharmacy Tech.

aal77 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

52 months ago

Where can I go to do some vulunteer work as Pharmacy Tech in Milwaukee WI.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pharmguy404 in Smyrna, Georgia

52 months ago

aal77 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: Where can I go to do some vulunteer work as Pharmacy Tech in Milwaukee WI.

www.thetechniciantrainer.com/ I recommend this program for anyone. Participants have a 99% pass rate. It was designed by Pharmacy Tech, Mary Ana, who coordinates the CVS intern program for Virginia Commonwealth University. The program is only 359.00 and well structured.

52 months ago

aal77 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: Where can I go to do some vulunteer work as Pharmacy Tech in Milwaukee WI.

I do not recommend the Volunteer route. They give you next to none responsibilities.

52 months ago

Andrea in Florissant, Missouri said: My classes has helped 25 technicians get certified we are doing well, and I have 3 pharmacist helping also. Dont get upset my classes save people thousands of $ thank you for your reply

www.thetechniciantrainer.com/ this is an awesome program as well. Mary Ana is actually endorsed by pharmacy board and has a wide range of pharmacy tech experience, including hospital, retail, and long term care facilities. She also serves as the CVS intern coordinator for Virginia Common Wealth University's Doctorate of Pharmacy program.

Rheema in Richmond, Virginia

51 months ago

gloria in Dallas, Texas said: WHAT COMPANY WILL GIVE YOU A CHANCE TO AQUIRE THE WORKING EXPERIENCE ONCE YOU HAVE RECEIVED YOUR CERTIFICATION. I AM NEEDING A WINDOW OR DOOR TO OPEN. I HAVE BEEN CERTIFIED FOR ALMOST FOURTEEN MONTHS AND I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND EMPLOYMENT AS A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN WITHOUT THE WORK EXPERIENCE.

Am having the same problem, i have a Va state license but i failed to find a job because i don't have experience. I wonder if they can take me fo volunteer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

smith in Richmond, Virginia

50 months ago

David in Brooklyn, New York said: I have a Pharmacy Technician Cerificate for 3 yrs
and i want to work...
so can i get experience?

david get your foot in the door and if you'll great at that position. you'll get promoted if a position is available in the pharmacy.

on my way to Pharmacy Tech in Bakersfield, California

46 months ago

Amen to that. Very well said; were strugling in these hard times. I can barely afford the book for the certification, let alone a $100 fee for something that i can do myself. Thank you for speaking up.

on my way to Pharmacy Tech in Bakersfield, California

46 months ago

Wow! Sounds like there are alot of you with problems in passing the PTCB exam. I am planning to take it within 2 months. I'm still going to school for Pharmacy Tech, and will be finished by ending of June. It's heartbreaking to hear the strugles some of you are having i wish you all luck in finding work in this proffesion since that is our goal. I'm a little scared about the exam because math is not my strongest subject, however calculating dosages is not too hard. I've been reading some of your suggestions in books and other studying ways to pass the PTCB exam i really appreciate you that are commenting possitive things to help out those in need of good ideas.

tammymeyers1962@yahoo.com in Saint Louis, Missouri

45 months ago

I need help to study for PTCB test. I have 5 years in the pharmacy and trying to study books. But i'm having a very hard time. need help would like video or audio tapes. I have trouble comprehesion of what i'm reading. I can read it ten times. Please give some answers.

Stuart in Fountain Valley, California

45 months ago

If you already have 5 years of experience in the pharmacy environment than you shouldn't have any problem pass the exam, math, drugs, pharmacy laws and many common sense questions, also you might want to try the Mosby PTCB review book, some people here are rave about it. good luck.

pharmtec87 in Los Angeles, California

45 months ago

Besides completing an externship, having a license and passing the ptcb exam, how do you get experience in a pharmacy? I have done everything possible, but everyone wants someone with experience, but no one is willing to give it. I have went to hospitals, clinics and privately owned pharmacies but nothing seems to be working. Any advice?

Tonya Jarreau in Maringouin, Louisiana

45 months ago

I am considering taking the online course for pharmacy tech....is there anyone out there that has done this. It will be in the state of Louisiana. you have to take the course from a school in that state that offers the online course. Wondering how hard it is to self-study. I have learned--first I have to enroll in a traing facility--then apply for a permit from the parmacy board, along with a full scale background check---then find a place that will allow me to do 600 hrs of externship. Is this right or is there something else I need to know? Also how hard is it to get into a hospital pharmacy? Any info on all of this would greatly be appreciated----Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

HOWLONGISTHEWAIT in Ukiah, California

45 months ago

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET YOUR LICENSE FROM STATE OF CALIFORNIA ONCE YOUR MAIL OFF YOUR APPLICATION PACKET TO SACRAMENTO? THE WEB SITE SAYS 60 TO 90 DAYS BUT WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR EXPERIENCE?

mendy in Ripon, California

44 months ago

HOWLONGISTHEWAIT in Ukiah, California said: HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET YOUR LICENSE FROM STATE OF CALIFORNIA ONCE YOUR MAIL OFF YOUR APPLICATION PACKET TO SACRAMENTO? THE WEB SITE SAYS 60 TO 90 DAYS BUT WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR EXPERIENCE?

I got mine in 19 days.

skywarp13 in Salinas, California

44 months ago

HOWLONGISTHEWAIT in Ukiah, California said: HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET YOUR LICENSE FROM STATE OF CALIFORNIA ONCE YOUR MAIL OFF YOUR APPLICATION PACKET TO SACRAMENTO? THE WEB SITE SAYS 60 TO 90 DAYS BUT WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR EXPERIENCE?

Mine arrived about 4 months after the state received my packet. Other people, who sent theirs out at around the same time, got theirs way earlier than i did. The 90 day window is a crapshoot but you'll receive it eventually.

Just be patient. Emailing the state board was a waste of time imho. I sent 2 or 3 emails to them asking about my status, but i never got a response back.

536 in Bolingbrook, Illinois

44 months ago

keivn31 in Renton, Washington said: Hi, what is the best book to study for PTCB test and is this book are up-to-dated? What about the math calculation does is have alot of it to practice and other subject too? How do I get walgreen intern premit to work after I pass the test? I don't know how many people have taking the PTCB test that are passed and I am not sure I can pass the PTCB test after I study it? Please, anyone who have gone throught this path let me know and I appreciated your advise.

I did not pass the first time because of the heavy emphasis in the math. So the second time I hired a math tutor and passed. Good luck. You have my empathy.

Terrence in Houston, Texas

43 months ago

you are an a-hole dude

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

streampaw in Beaverton, Oregon

37 months ago

Can you take the PTCB while you're still in high school? Can you get certified while still in high school?

I got my Pharmacy tech license from my state (they don't require certification) and I can renew it every year until I turn 18.

But no one hires with just a license (they can though, they just want a certification because that shows that you know the stuff you're supposed to know to be a pharm tech). Am I allowed to take the PTCB exam and get certified while still in high school?

Emmanuel Justice Obeng in Accra, Ghana

36 months ago

I am highly interested and would like to receive more information concerning the certification exams and how I can participate from Ghana.

jstrong in Lompoc, California

34 months ago

and i want to work...
so can i get experience?

Volunteer for the red cross in the pharmacy department, I have absolutely NO training, or schooling and Im volunteering there.

Lisa in Draper, Utah

15 months ago

I have completed pharmacy technician program at the college, have two internships (nine weeks), PTCB certification and a state license. I looked for jobs and had interviewed several times. Most interviewers said I don't have experience so they hired people with one year or more experiences.

Where or how can I find volunteer or internship without pay? I am willing to do that. I need one year experience.

Any suggestions or any advice. I open my eyes and my ears to listen.

Thank you.

nilam soni in Cincinnati, Ohio

10 months ago

brown_dude34 in Somerville, Massachusetts said: The book you need is:

Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review
by Patricia K.Anthony

Study each chapter for 4 months I guarantee you will pass the national PTCB test. The PTCB test is based off of this book. It has all the sample math questions and will teach you how to work out the formula problems.

Yes i agree with him i just got pharmacy technician certificate.this book ( Patricia K. anthony) help me lot Everthing is in the book is step by step.So you easily clear the PTCB test.ALL THE BESt

Seriousaboutthis in Markham, Illinois

10 months ago

Lisa in Draper, Utah said: I have completed pharmacy technician program at the college , have two internships (nine weeks), PTCB certification and a state license. I looked for jobs and had interviewed several times. Most interviewers said I don't have experience so they hired people with one year or more experiences.

Where or how can I find volunteer or internship without pay? I am willing to do that. I need one year experience.

Any suggestions or any advice. I open my eyes and my ears to listen.

Thank you.

What I did was called some of the local hospitals and inquired if I can volunteer two days out of the week. I actually got a couple of responses.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.