ASI CAREER INSTITUTE

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Tyshea Perkins in Glassboro, New Jersey

68 months ago

Hi, I am in Glassboro, NJ and I am looking for any information about this school that I am thinking about attending. THe name of the school is ASI Career Institute, its in Turnersville, NJ and they offer 8 week courses for Medical Assistant, Phlebotomy, and EKG Tech, the cost is $4000...and they do not accept any type of financial aid but they do accept the grants you can get from welfare and unemployment..if you qualify. I a looking for anyone that has actually attended this school, I need to know some feedback before I spend $4000 and not be able to find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Carol in Sewell, New Jersey

68 months ago

I am enrolled at this school and am starting in June, a friend of mine does go to this school and i was suppose to enroll with her but had to postpone to June for personal reasons. She is in the MA class and likes it alot. the class is tuaght by an RN with 20 years experience. there are only 13 people in her class and the hours are good for her. she has had Kennedy Hospital/ Virtua Hospital and the American Red Cross come in to her class talk to students about coming to work for them. I could nto find any Negative feedback I went to this NJ state website and found ALOT of postive Commnents: www.njtopps.net/Program/Comments.aspx?ProgramID=34910&ViewAll=1 Also my unemployment office recomeded this school over the other schools i looked at.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Carol in Sewell, New Jersey said: I am enrolled at this school and am starting in June, a friend of mine does go to this school and i was suppose to enroll with her but had to postpone to June for personal reasons. She is in the MA class and likes it alot. the class is tuaght by an RN with 20 years experience. there are only 13 people in her class and the hours are good for her. she has had Kennedy Hospital/ Virtua Hospital and the American Red Cross come in to her class talk to students about coming to work for them. I could nto find any Negative feedback I went to this NJ state website and found ALOT of postive Commnents: www.njtopps.net/Program/Comments.aspx?ProgramID=34910&ViewAll=1 Also my unemployment office recomeded this school over the other schools i looked at.

What were some of the other schools you were looking at. I have also looked at CDM Institute, in Marlton..basically the exact same program and the same price. If you dont mind me asking is there anyone out there that has paid out of pocket for this course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carol in Sewell, New Jersey

68 months ago

We also looked at CDM along with ASI, but when Virtua HR recommended ASI I told my Counselor and she agreed. CDM did i think have extra charges that I would have to pay for on top of the $4,000.00; the certification exam i think i rememeber was not included, & scrubs and uniforms were not included at CDM, At ASI they were all included with the tuition. My girlfriend really likes the teacher. Everyone at ASI was really freindly and smilling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Colleen in Blackwood, New Jersey

68 months ago

I went to ASI last year, My counselor said I could go to any school but very strognly suggested i go there over the other schools. My class was only 8 weeks and went by very fast. For the first time in my life i really enjoyed going to school. I took a job partime at my sons doctors office to get some expiernce, I kept sending out resumes and finnaly got hired at a hospital in philadelphia. The class was hard for me, i had not been in school in over 25 years but the teacher was very nice and worked with me and made me feel comfortable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Colleen in Blackwood, New Jersey said: I went to ASI last year, My counselor said I could go to any school but very strognly suggested i go there over the other schools. My class was only 8 weeks and went by very fast. For the first time in my life i really enjoyed going to school. I took a job partime at my sons doctors office to get some expiernce, I kept sending out resumes and finnaly got hired at a hospital in philadelphia. The class was hard for me, i had not been in school in over 25 years but the teacher was very nice and worked with me and made me feel comfortable.

Colleen are you still working in the field and enjoying it? Also did you get help from ASI during your job search?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Yes I am still in the field, and i do enjoy the work and the job security. I love working three 12 hours days and having off the other 4!! I got help preparing for my job search. They had a girl on staff who reviewed my resume, made suggestions regarding interviewing techniques, and showed me where to look for job openings. But pretty much from even before i enrolled they were very honest and upfront about the fact that they are a training facilty not an employmnet agency. I liked that honesty very much, The other schools were making the "getting a job" part seem easy, and having been unemployed i know its not that simple to get a job no matter what training you have in any field. So i apprecaited the honesty. They were very clear about what it takes to get a job, and that was just keep applying everywhere & never give up. The girl on staff who helped me with my resume was excellent. she showed me where to look for jobs and suggested i send out or apply for 25 jobs a week. All in all i love my job, am very glad to be out of retail. and yes i got more then enough help during my job search, I am very satisfied. I guess its one of those things you get out of it as much hard work as you put into it, and you have to want it bad enough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Colleen in Blackwood, New Jersey said: Yes I am still in the field, and i do enjoy the work and the job security. I love working three 12 hours days and having off the other 4!! I got help preparing for my job search. They had a girl on staff who reviewed my resume, made suggestions regarding interviewing techniques, and showed me where to look for job openings. But pretty much from even before i enrolled they were very honest and upfront about the fact that they are a training facilty not an employmnet agency. I liked that honesty very much, The other schools were making the "getting a job" part seem easy, and having been unemployed i know its not that simple to get a job no matter what training you have in any field. So i apprecaited the honesty. They were very clear about what it takes to get a job, and that was just keep applying everywhere & never give up. The girl on staff who helped me with my resume was excellent. she showed me where to look for jobs and suggested i send out or apply for 25 jobs a week. All in all i love my job, am very glad to be out of retail. and yes i got more then enough help during my job search, I am very satisfied. I guess its one of those things you get out of it as much hard work as you put into it, and you have to want it bad enough.

Colleen, Thank you so much for your help. Where do you work now and what do you do? If you dont mind me asking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AMBER in Swedesboro, New Jersey

67 months ago

Colleen in Blackwood, New Jersey said: I went to ASI last year, My counselor said I could go to any school but very strognly suggested i go there over the other schools. My class was only 8 weeks and went by very fast. For the first time in my life i really enjoyed going to school. I took a job partime at my sons doctors office to get some expiernce, I kept sending out resumes and finnaly got hired at a hospital in philadelphia. The class was hard for me, i had not been in school in over 25 years but the teacher was very nice and worked with me and made me feel comfortable.

HI I WAS JUST WONDERING IF IT WAS A GOOD SCHOOL I START MAY 26 AND THE COURSE IS ONLY 8 WEEKS ALOT OF OTHER SCHOOL CLASS IS 9 MTHS.SO THAT WAS MY CONCERN BECAUSE I WANT TO REALLY DO PHELEBOTOMY..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

I work at Temple, I wanted the shortest program i could get...I needed to get to work ASAP. The class went by very fast but i really needed to get done and get working so i just studied and worked very hard at learning everything i could.

Abby Brown in Blackwood, New Jersey

64 months ago

For those who have actually attended this school; was finding a job a long drawn out/ difficult process? do they help you with job placement?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Sicklerville, New Jersey

60 months ago

I got a job about 3 months after the class. I found the best way to get interviews was to walk into doctors offices and ask if they were hiring and leave my resume, once i started doing this I had a job offer in a week. I thought faxing my resume was not getting me anywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

julie in Sicklerville, New Jersey

43 months ago

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how well the course load prepared you for your job as a Medical assistant. I am so excited to get started, I just want to make sure that ASI has enough info. I mean two months compared to 8 months is a huge difference in time spent in the classroom.

Dennis in Sewell, New Jersey

41 months ago

I went to ASI but already had expeirence as an EMT so it was no big deal moving quickly through the class....there were only 9 others in my class and alot of them already had worked in some kind of healthcare job, CNA or home health aid or something like that. I think they only let people take classes that already have some expeirence. I did have to bust my but to find a job when i finished though it took me 4 months to finally get hired. I thought it would be worse and take alot longer to get hired. I have heard the waiting list of new job applicants to get interviews at some hospitals is 6-10 months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bmunn86 in Gibbstown, New Jersey

38 months ago

I went to ASI in 2007 and from the looks of things they may have straigtened out there act. Do they have externships now? I went for phelbotomy and EKG, my certificates expired and I NEVER got a job because lack of experience! I don't know how it is now but I'm considering giving it another shot. Very indecisive though!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KFarmer in Blackwood, New Jersey

37 months ago

bmunn86 in Gibbstown, New Jersey said: I went to ASI in 2007 and from the looks of things they may have straigtened out there act. Do they have externships now? I went for phelbotomy and EKG, my certificates expired and I NEVER got a job because lack of experience! I don't know how it is now but I'm considering giving it another shot. Very indecisive though!

I called them up after my one stop woman told me to look into them first they have had success with sending people there and a few others to visit but i should avoid (3 schools total), I had the same questions about experience and they told me they do not offer any externships at all, but there are lots of doctors offices that might take me for an externship and they will help me set up the insurance and paper work if i find the doctor, she said they only train me and can’t give me job experience that’s my responsibility to get my foot in the door. . I was told though they have a class for nursing aids at the hospital up the street that works with patient’s everyday for a month that might be a good start for me since I was concerned about never having worked in a hospital. I’m waiting now to take my tabe test again. I did definitely get the feeling they only take people that already have experience or are professional type people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lynette in Willingboro, New Jersey

37 months ago

IM also hoping to get funded through the county, does anyone have any idea how long it takes to get approved? I have visited all my schools and did my resume and have looked for a job like they asked so I’m just waiting for the call hopefully soon. I thought the Burlington Center mall area and parking lot had some car break-ins and robberies. I get nervous in big parking lots with lots of people just hanging around staring at you. I was scared someone was going to follow me to my car or something and it gets dark now so early I could never be comfortable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bruce Kelly in Medford, New Jersey

37 months ago

I've been working on getting in for about 3 weeks now through the one stop. Not sure how much longer it is going to take but my class doesn't start until the beginning of January so I have time. I'm signed up with Nixle.com, a website that tells you about any break ins, robberies, etc. in the towns that are signed up with it. I get the alerts in my email and cell. It also tells me of road closings so I don't get stuck in traffic. I get alerts all the time, from all over for robberies, stolen cars, arrests, etc. I have never had one from the Burlington Center Mall in the 2 years I have been signed up with them. Much more stuff going on in strip malls, but mostly overnight type crimes. The parking lot is just feet from the main entrance so I feel plenty safe. The back entrance never has very many cars so I can park right up front.

Piece of advice though, if you don't hear from your case manager at the one stop, call in and find out what is going on. I have heard from a few people that they got lost in the shuffle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Imogene Reddick in Sicklerville, New Jersey

31 months ago

If I could do this again I would of not pick this school.. I attend the ASi Career Institute back in Aug 2011. I gave it a strong throught and decided this may be a school I wouldn't regreat, the staff was nice, but you can't base that on your career. There was no Externship program to offord or no good resources.I been trying on my own, and still trying Just not enough Information. it's like the blind leading the blind. Hear it is 9 months later. Still no Externship and no Job. I fell like I was deceived. But still not giving up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.