Different places to apply for a phlebotomy job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 167)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

regina in Lithonia, Georgia

108 months ago

Yolanda Watkins in Belzoni, Mississippi said: I am recently looking for a job in phlebotomy

You need to read my comments to find out different ways to locate a job in the field of phlebotomy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Tammy in Rock Hill, South Carolina

108 months ago

i took a Phlebotomy course at a technical college 2yrs.ago and I looked for a place to just get my foot in the door, @ dr. offices,red cross,hospitals, ect. to no avail.And then I had some medical problems.Can you tell me what I need to do now.I have my cert. from class but I think that I have to work for a year under someone? I would be thankful for any advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Jenefer Rivera in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

107 months ago

I completed my phlebotomy and EkG technician course in july 2007. I am certified as a phlebotomist and currently waiting on my results for my ekg certification. It's hard to find a job because I have no work experience. Can you please give me an advice on what I can do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (144) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

107 months ago

My suggestions would be to start out looking at small little 24 hour minor emergency clinics that may need a phlebotomist or ekg tech. Also, see if you have a staffing agency in your town that can staff you somewhere.

*The key is to go in an be very confident about yourself and although you lack experience, make it up with having a great personality!
Regina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Huh?

107 months ago

You wanna run that by us again? Better yet,don't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Huh? in Kirkland, Illinois

107 months ago

Someone,a spammer,sent in a senseless post that sounded a little lurid. Since I hit "Report abuse" several times they got rid of it so now MY post sounds senseless. For that I apologize,and would like to suggest that everyone look at Dan's link.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

monica devaughn in Selma, North Carolina

107 months ago

i am current taking the phlebotomy class and i need to know some places i need to go to get hired and do i need to take the EKG class also to better my chances at getting a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

regina in Winston, Georgia

107 months ago

Hey Monica:
You should try a minor emergency clinic or one of those 24 hour clinics that is not in a hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rm in Greenville, South Carolina

107 months ago

I am currently a Phlebotomy instructor and Phlebotomy jobs are abundant. However, many are not posted on the web or in papers. Phlebotomist are generally hired by word-of-mouth or more commonly through the site at which he/she performed clinicals. LabCorp and other national organizations are hard to get on with, but easier if you are nationally certified, for example through the ASCP. This certification also will afford you an advantage over someone that is not certified and the potential of a higher pay wage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

giuseppe in Bronx, New York

106 months ago

Regina Wilcox in Stone Mountain, Georgia said: When I used to be in the phlebotomy field, I enjoyed many different opportunities in the art of collecting blood, urine and saliva.
People new into the field should check out all the local jails and also the state penitentiary if there is one in your city. You should call and find out if the work in the medical area of the jail is contracted out and then find out who has the contract. Contact that person to see if there are any positions that may fit your skills.
Also, I worked for Quest Diagnostics and you should try LabCorp as well.
For some of the seasoned phlebotomist, why not try your hand at teaching at one of the technical schools that offer phlebotomy training.
For those that don't have that 6 months to a years experience, do what I did...I contacted the hospital that I really really wanted a job and spoke to the supervisor of the shift that wanted to work. I convinced the supervisor to hire me because they could train me just like they wanted to and without any prior phlebotomy experience I did not have any "bad habits"
Anyway, I hope that this advice helps.

I worked for quest diagnostics and what I have experienced was awful. bad pay, a lot of stress, bouncing from facility to facility as a ping pong ball and more then everything: supervisors nasty and self esteemed that make a shame of a such big company. advice: do not go there; they exploit you and then they throw you on the curb !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Claudia in Sunland, California

106 months ago

I'm close to take my final test to be a phlebotomist, Do you recomend some web site that i can find cuestionaries test to prepare my self to be ready for the last test?
Also, what do you recomend me to continue in my studies in this health care area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

106 months ago

As far as I know, there are no sites to go to prepare for the exam. You should also consider getting your EKG certification. That will help in your job search

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Harv in Jacksonville, Florida

106 months ago

Jenefer Rivera in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I completed my phlebotomy and EkG technician course in july 2007. I am certified as a phlebotomist and currently waiting on my results for my ekg certification. It's hard to find a job because I have no work experience. Can you please give me an advice on what I can do?

your experience right now comes from the classes you took in July. You have to use this to your advantage when applying for jobs. " It's not what you say it's how you say it" Make your resume work for you. Hope this helps Think Deep and Out Side the box!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

K in Antioch, Tennessee

105 months ago

Claudia in Sunland, California said: I'm close to take my final test to be a phlebotomist, Do you recomend some web site that i can find cuestionaries test to prepare my self to be ready for the last test?
Also, what do you recomend me to continue in my studies in this health care area?

I'm starting school in January and most of the information here is helpful and insightful. Thank you all very much.

Claudia, maybe this link will help you out:
www.testprepreview.com/modules/phlebotomy.htm

This link has a great search engine for jobs:
www.careerbuilder.com/

HTH :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Falon in Chicago, Illinois

105 months ago

I am currently preparing to take the board exam for illinois, but i don't know the first place to look for employment. i really don't want to work in a clinic or for an agency. looking for something more stable have any suggestions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

CL in Wichita Falls, Texas

105 months ago

I'am currently looking for a job opportunity in phlebotomy in the Wichita Falls Tx area,
I welcome any suggestions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

105 months ago

Falcon

Don't limit your opportunities by not wanting or accepting different positions or chances to work as a phlebotomist. It is a very rewarding career. You'll learn different "techniques" and most importantly what thechs not to use. I hope this will help.

God Bless and Happy NewYear

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

105 months ago

There is a company by the name of Quest Diagnostics. There is another one by the name of Lab Corp. Try to contact them. Also, look for Temp agencies they usually offer assignments (long term) where by these to companies hire from. Didn't work for me as far as full time but I did work for them for a year constantly.

God Bless and Happy Newyear

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brianna in Fayetteville, North Carolina

105 months ago

I am currently looking for a phlebotomy position. I just graduated from school and have not yet taken the ASCP exam. I hope to take it soon though. As far as phlebotomy positions in other areas I can be of some assistance. There is a company called Talecris. They have a few openings in Texas but they won't become available until June I think. If anyone is interested their website is www.talecrisplasma.com They usually hire students right out of school and sometimes hire people who have never had any education in this field. Good luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

leeh3760@*****.*** in Beaverton, Oregon

104 months ago

Jenefer Rivera in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I completed my phlebotomy and EkG technician course in july 2007. I am certified as a phlebotomist and currently waiting on my results for my ekg certification. It's hard to find a job because I have no work experience. Can you please give me an advice on what I can do?

Try plasma centers They have high turnover ,they will train you as well

104 months ago

Hello Jenefer
You are well on your way. Once you receive your certificates, maybe even now, apply at every hospital in your area. Also remember that the best way to sell advertise yourself is by word of mouth. I hope this encourages you to press on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

104 months ago

Harv in Jacksonville, Florida said: I'm in the field and got my training from a plasma center. It is possible to get into phlebotomy with out "school courses." All you need is will skill ability and a chance to do what you do.

LC
when the plasma center hired me they didn't do it for phlebo they hired me for processing. I was just willing to cross train. do you understand now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mande in Washington Court House, Ohio

104 months ago

HI all

I was wondering if any of you know any good "rapid" programs for my Phlebotomy Certification? By rapid I mean JUST classes for Phlebotech and not anything unneeded, if that makes sense! Thanks! blue7goddess @ yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

104 months ago

Mande in Washington Court House, Ohio said: HI all

I was wondering if any of you know any good "rapid" programs for my Phlebotomy Certification? By rapid I mean JUST classes for Phlebotech and not anything unneeded, if that makes sense! Thanks! blue7goddess @ yahoo.com

How much experience do you have? What do you plan to do with the experience? IE) hospital etc...

104 months ago

Mande I think thats going to be hard to find

Pooja in London, United Kingdom

104 months ago

Mande,
U can check online,infact in US u can get so many opportunities....This course take hardly 1 or 2 days and they will give u certificate but i m not sure whether they take theory course or practical course.
Hope this helps...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SABRINA

104 months ago

TO BE A MOBILE PHLEBOTOMIST, DO VISITS TO PATIENTS. INSTEAD OF THEM VISITING A LAB. I WANT TO KNOW TO WHOM DO I MARKET TO?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Regina in Marietta, Georgia

104 months ago

You need to market to insurance companies. You need to find out what companies they use to do their insurance exams. Some of them will act like they don;t know what you are talking about though, but most of them will know what you are looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SABRINA

104 months ago

THANKS REGINA, THAT WAS HELPFUL INFO

Regina in Marietta, Georgia

103 months ago

I just went to "google" and I typed in "traveling phlebotomy jobs" and I hit the I'm feeling lucky button and so many phlebotmy jobs came up everywhere. Check it out.
Regina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Green Lane, Pennsylvania

103 months ago

Hi! I live just out side of Philly, in Langhorne, PA. I am DESPERATLY looking for a school for Phlebotomy, but I am not having much luck at all!! What school did you go to? This could be so helpful to me! (ps. I am not from Green Lane, Pa, I don't know why it says that). So plz let me know what school you went to for phlebotomy and EKG. You could email me at: aleigha0707@gmail.com Thank you so much!!

Diane

102 months ago

I have been a phlebotomist for over 42 years. I have worked for every lab company mentioned and they all stink as far as I'm concerned. I was overworked, underpaid and pushed around. Especially by the younger ones who see me as a threat cause I have so much experience. It was frightening. I also worked in hospitals and was severely overworked. I loved my job and was no slack when it came to working. I did my job right, I was good at it, but it seemed that the manager's pets got all the promotions., its that way all over. Its too bad, cause I loved being a phlobot.
Its push comes to shove. Who they like the best and who you know... find some other profession please. Trust me I know... Lab Corp. was the worst. The manager's friends got the best treatment and the rest of us did all the sticks. It was shameful ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shane in Atlanta, Georgia

102 months ago

Regina in Marietta, Georgia said: You need to market to insurance companies. You need to find out what companies they use to do their insurance exams. Some of them will act like they don;t know what you are talking about though, but most of them will know what you are looking for.

Hey Regina!
I've been reading all the posts. And let me tell everyone it's so cool to have a place where one can express their opions. Like it's said this is the age of information. Anyways going back to the subject on how to find a job right out of school? I'm in the same situation but at the same time I do know networking is the key. All the vocational schools out there just wants $$$ they will tell you what ever till they get your money and it's cause they feed of poeples weakness. At the same time the education is there one has to work to get in. That said Regina I think we're in the same state my resources are taking to loooong can you help me out. And by the way you've been such an inspiration.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Regina in Atlanta, Georgia

102 months ago

Hey Shane:
Thank yo so much for your comment. I really appreciate it! I do know it is hard these days to get a job right out of school. Call Gwinnett County Hospital and ask to speak to Rhonda Hairston in the lab. See if she has something even part time for you. Tell her Regina said to call.

Shane in Cumming, Georgia

101 months ago

Hey Regina,
Thank you so much, I just talked to Rhonda Hairston. They're full right know but I'm sending her my resume. If you think of any other "hook up" :) please let me know I'm a very good Phlebo Tech just need someone to give me a chance; I promise they won't regret it :). This is my email shaaneye@yahoo.com.
I really appreciate all the help Thank you so much Regina.

Kaisle in Elk Grove, California

101 months ago

I completed my phlebotomy course in September of 2007. Name it and I have applied. I graduated top of my class. To be honest the field is flooded and most of us will never get the job. It truly is all about knowing who to talk to. My mom is a respiratory therapist and has been one for the past 12 years with Kaiser. Even she couldnt get me a job. Its tough but we have to keep trying and realize the job will probably never come. And if it doesn then congragulations. The problem isnt that their arnt jobs the problem is that people are unwilling to hire entry level people, generally due to their companies policies. Honestly the best thing to do is to go to the lab speak the lab manager take a tour of the lab and leave a nice note saying hjow much you enjoyed the enviroment and how it would be wonderful to work their. Yes I know it seems very pathetic, but sometimes you have to kiss ass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

Yes, thats true. You also can go to be a CNA which only takes a couple of weeks and get in the door that way. CNA's can work in a nursing home for a year and see if they can do the blood collections on the patients that are there.

Tsgheweini in Santa Rosa, California

101 months ago

My comment, I don't get ajob as CNA and as a PHLOBOTMY.

Tsgheweini in Santa Rosa, California

101 months ago

plce call me when you got opninig.

Alicia in Baltimore in Hyattsville, Maryland

101 months ago

I totaly understand KAISLE.I was in the same situation.I finished school in the summer of 2006 and was cerified 2 months after but,didn't find a job until this past December.My advise is to look at not only hospitals but doctors offices,some of them draw blood.The Red Cross will hire you fresh out of school with your cert. and clinical completed but,you must have own transportion.Places that do morning draws for nursing homes are usualy smaller labs and might take a chance on you.(also need car)I found a job at a imaging and diagnostic facility.The places that do x-rays,sonograms,mri and ect.Some of the draw blood as well.While Quest will not hire you to do draws,they will however hire you to process specimens.Last but not least you can always volenteer.That what I asked of the place Im at right now and three weeks later I had a job.Less the hours and the pay i wanted but its a small sacifies now to get what I want later.Besides I realy injoy my job.So if you find something and they are not offering you what you want in terms of money still take it to get your foot in the door.Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

kaisle in Vacaville, California

101 months ago

Your right. i guess i just need to take the sacrifice of being a volunteer to do the work, but then i remember i have bills and things i want to do and these days not having money pretty much equals no life.

Brandi - banning, ca

101 months ago

It's nice to know i'm not alone in the "frustrated no experience boat" kaisle... i finished past september as well, and I too find difficulty in being hired... and thank you alicia for the advice. i needed it, truely.

Sereen in Pasadena, Maryland

101 months ago

Hey Reginia, I am in the processes of relocating to Lawrenceville, Ga. I have been applying to several hospital in GA, and no response, is it hard to get a phlebotmy/ lab assistant posiiton over there. I have over 6 yrs experience working in hospital/outpatient setting. Plus i am certified with ASCP. It seems like you have to have some inside link to get u in a phlebtomist jobs in georhoia. i am beginning to worried

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

I am not going to give up though. I spent too much money to do that lol. It will happen we just need to be positive and resourceful and assertive. Also i heard becoming an examiner phlebotomist is a plus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

regina in Lithonia, Georgia said: I started phlebotomy back in the year 1992. If you don't believe enough in yourself to step out and ask somebody to give you a job with or without experience, then the person hiring is not going to have the confidence to know that you may be a person that is easily trained.

Regina GOD'S FAVOR IS NOT ALWAYS FAIR

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

CHECK OUT DEKALB MEDICAL CENTER AND ASK TO SPEAK TO THE PHLEBOTOMY SUPERVISOR DIRECTLY. I KNOW THAT THEY ARE IN NEED OF PRN...BEST WAY TO GET IN WITH EXPERIENCE!

sereen-balt. md in Hillsborough, North Carolina

101 months ago

Thanks Reginia. I spoke with Kendall and she said I should fax over my resume and atten it to her. Also I contacted Rhonda so I have an interview with her on 4/29. I will be flying down for the interview. do u have an email I could email u directly. Again thanks for ur help.

kittikatkim in Columbus, Georgia

101 months ago

I am trying to return to the phlebotomy field. I have a year and a half hospital experience, and 7 years of vet phlebotomy experience(yes, animals...now that was a challenge). I am a hardstick specialist and spent alot of time in the ER. I found out the hard way I am not cut out for trauma situations. I have been in retail management for the last several years and hate the hours and stress. I am concidering Talecris. I am hoping the stress level will be lower than that of a hospital setting. Anyone have any info on this company. Policies and procedures, pay scale, dress codes, benefits, work settings...etc. I have done several internet searches but not much comes up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

happy 4/20 everyone!!!!! Hippie Hill was awesome in sf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

101 months ago

Hi:
My email is realestategina@yahoo.com
Many blessings for your interview!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.