Does age play a part in getting hired,eventhough you are certified?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 51)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Deborah_Savage@yahoo.com in Lancaster, Ohio

77 months ago

I have been trying to get job at a local hospital in my area. I have a professional resume and I call back to check on my application status. You see the thing is this, two of my classmates are now working at this hospital and another has just been interviewdfor the phlebotomy position I was seeking.
My problem is that if they would at least acknowledge me and give an interview and then say, based on better qualified applicants we chose them, I could accept this.
I was the top student in my class and certified 2 poimts shy of 90%. Not too bad for a 51 year old, wright??
So, my question is how or what do I do? I don't feel that I'm being pyranoid, it's just that I'm starting to see a pattern. What can I do? Any advice would be appreciated....
Sincerly,

CPT Phlebotomist in Ohio
deborah_savage@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Fred Flintstone in Austin, Texas

76 months ago

Deborah_Savage@yahoo.com in Lancaster, Ohio said: I have been trying to get job at a local hospital in my area. I have a professional resume and I call back to check on my application status. You see the thing is this, two of my classmates are now working at this hospital and another has just been interviewdfor the phlebotomy position I was seeking.
My problem is that if they would at least acknowledge me and give an interview and then say, based on better qualified applicants we chose them, I could accept this.
I was the top student in my class and certified 2 poimts shy of 90%. Not too bad for a 51 year old, wright??
So, my question is how or what do I do? I don't feel that I'm being pyranoid, it's just that I'm starting to see a pattern. What can I do? Any advice would be appreciated....
Sincerly,

CPT Phlebotomist in Ohio
deborah_savage@yahoo.com

Off hand I would say you haven't been called back due to piss poor spelling. If you are a medical student with several years of college you are not putting your best foot forward

Sincerely, Fred Flintstone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Deborah_Savage@yahoo.com in Columbus, Ohio

76 months ago

Dearest Fred,

I sincerely apologize for offendind you with my spelling errors. I am not a medical student by any means, only a CPT Phlebotomist. However, I am fluent in another language, so I am not as complete a fool as you seem to think of me. I don't see what my my ability to stick someone has to do with spelling. I am an Architectural Drafter and I also design Kitchen and Bath layouts. I also have a Manicuring License for CA, and last but not least, I also have an A.S. in Business. I still do not see what the relevance of my spellin errors has to do with age? Or would you be inferring that I am too old to do the job properly because of my spelling errors? I have read many comments from different individuals that are medical students and their spelling leaves much to be desired. I am not led to believe that they aren't competent in their field of education.I will defend myself by saying,that when I typed my comments on this forum it happened to be during the wee hours of the morning, and in future I will be a little more conscious of my spelling.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. You are correct that piss poor spelling is awful, especially when one happens to be my age......
Sincerely and most grateful, Deborah Savage

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lea08 in Wisconsin

76 months ago

Deborah,
I don't think Fred was making any reference to your age when he criticized your spelling. Seriously though, if your spelling is bad I hope you are having someone check it on your resume/apps, etc. What it has to do with drawing blood is professionalism. Sometimes my spelling is lax also, but I am aware of that and double check with my husband before I put it out for all to see. I think you are being unrealistic when thinking your problem is your age. There was a woman I went to school with that was 50, and she already had an interview before school was out. Also, the assistants that came to supervise us sticking each other were not young women, and they had jobs in the field. Maybe you are overqualified with your A.S. and your drafting career. I am not being sarcastic, sometimes an employer will think you are going to except more out of them than they can offer when your experience is not on par with what is expected for the pay. I say apply at other places.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

I realize that I made several typing errors and trust me, I regret that I did not pay more attention to what I was I doing. However, I really don't feel that it was necessary for Fred to use "piss poor" as he put it. I am very critical of myself and I must tell you that I would not critique someone else had they made these mistakes. Also, I did have a professional resume made up, so on that note I am fairly certain that has nothing to do with my typing errors and everything to do with my age unfortunatly. I realize that first impressions are everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lea08 in Wisconsin

76 months ago

I hope you don't think I was criticizing you, I was just offering my opinion. Have you tried looking for contract work, like at portamedic or a company like them? If they don't have anyone working your area you have a good chance of getting it, and you can then use that experience to get a hospital job. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Thank you for your comment. You cannot imagine how embarrassed I have been about my spelling errors and how I wish that I had done a spell check before sending my comment. I don't think that I will live this down in any case, but what is done is done and I can't reverse it. Thank you for the information and I will check into this. I really do appreciate it.

Lea08 in Wisconsin

75 months ago

Deborah_Savage@yahoo.com in Columbus, Ohio said: Thank you for your comment. You cannot imagine how embarrassed I have been about my spelling errors and how I wish that I had done a spell check before sending my comment. I don't think that I will live this down in any case, but what is done is done and I can't reverse it. Thank you for the information and I will check into this. I really do appreciate it.

Relax, most people don't use proper english on message boards anyways. Other people get trashed the same way, as long as your resume looks good, don't let anyone bother you. How is your job search going?

75 months ago

Thank you for your comment. It really botherred me that I made so many errors. To answer your question about how my search is going, well I must tell you, terrible at best. Most places want experience, so most of the jobs I wanted to apply for are out of my range. I am quickly becoming disheartened. I really had high hopes in becoming a phlebotomist, but I really don't see this happening for me. My age is really becoming a problem for me. Several students that I was in class with have found jobs, and I might add that they are at least 15-20 years younger than myself. I have tried over and over to apply for several positions in phlebotomy and other fields such as transport and unit clerk are just some of the few to mention. I'm afraid that I may have to take the class all over again if can't find a job soon.

Lea08 in Wisconsin

75 months ago

Are you applying for the jobs that ask for more experience? Our teacher told us apply anyway, you never know. If there are other jobs at healthcare facilities, you could apply for them,too, and then keep your eyes open for the position you want coming open. Also, alot of the hospitals/clinics around here don't post there jobs except at their own webpages, so maybe try to do a search for any health care facilities websites. Good luck.

75 months ago

I am very excited! I have an interview with our local hospital this coming Monday. I hope that all will go well, but just the same, can you believe it? I am so happy at this moment you can't begin to imagine. Thank you for all your advice. Take care and I will update.

joanne creager in Cornelius, North Carolina

75 months ago

Deborah_Savage@yahoo.com in Lancaster, Ohio said: I have been trying to get job at a local hospital in my area. I have a professional resume and I call back to check on my application status. You see the thing is this, two of my classmates are now working at this hospital and another has just been interviewdfor the phlebotomy position I was seeking.
Sincerly,

CPT Phlebotomist in Ohio
deborah_savage@yahoo.com

Hi: I moved from another state 1.5 years ago, and also have been trying in my new neighborhood and Hospital. I am also mature like you and also get no response. Thanks but no thanks. I have 17 years experience and supervised Lab Dept. so I am qualified. I believe it to be age discrimination, but of course they would deny that. Good luck keep trying. Joanne

Lea08 in Wisconsin

75 months ago

Awesome, good for you. Good luck, I hope you get the job!

Bea in Columbus, Ohio

75 months ago

Sincerly,

CPT Phlebotomist in Ohio
deborah_savage@yahoo.com

Deb I feel your pain,sista. I also completed a phlebotomy class at our local hospital,FMC, will no luck. Missy and Janet in HR are kind enough to email me to let me know that someone within the hospital is better qualified. I say age discrimination, but good luck proving it,right? Oh well they have to live with their choices, and I hope that they're never in our shoes!!! Give me an update and maybe some tips.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ruth in Gainesville, Georgia

75 months ago

Joanne - maybe rework your resume - some people are afraid to employ someone with a lot of experience because they think they might be after their job. The term we use is to dumb down your resume.

Hope this helps.

Ruth - former mortgage loan processor of 25+ years in phlebotomy class now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CPT I in Temecula, California

75 months ago

I have the same problem....I got my license 4 months ago and I have applied everywhere from laboratories ( Quest, Westcliff, Labcorp) to hospitals....and so far all the hospitals want experience with a minimum of 6 months to a year.....before you even get consider.... every week I apply on new openings...and on friday (9-12) I applied for Quest Lab on my area and they sent me an E-mail to do part 4 which is a "Virtual Job Tryout" on line....I know I did really good on that....the next step would be setting up an interview with them....I hope they call me....however I need an advise.... I haven't been in an interview in 14 years....I don't know what to expect... I know my order of Draw, blood culture procedures, safety guidelines.... any one out there knows what kind of questions they ask?....any comment would be greatly appreciate it.....

Thank you
CPT 1

Bea in Columbus, Ohio

75 months ago

wish I could help you, but I don't have any advise,sorry. I think that these colleges and vocational schools should inform the students before they take the class about how hard it is to get hired anywhere. You may want to try the red cross in your area. I heard that they don't pay alot,but you may be able to get some experience. Good Luck, Bea

Ruth in Gainesville, Georgia

75 months ago

Good suggestion on the Red Cross but they are on a national hiring freeze at the moment, but maybe you can volunteer some time there to get more experience to assist in your employment search. Also see if you can get a reference letter from your teacher at school and the facility where you did your externship, that may help also.

Good Luck

Ruth

75 months ago

Thank you very much. I've not yet heard back from the interviewer, but she seemed to like me and what I had to say. I hope to hear from them one way or another in any case. I will update when I know more. Again thank you.

75 months ago

I do not know if this will help, but here goes. Apply for any and every position that you may qualify for. By that I mean, transport attendant, unit clerk, so on and so forth. I do mean over and over. I was told that they will eventually call you for an interview. It may not be the position you might actually want but, it will be a foot in the door. You would be able to transfer after six months or when there was an opening for your field of expertise. Try it, it might work. Good luck to you too.

75 months ago

Thank you for the advice. The good news is that I have recently been hired at the local hospital in my area. It really happened at the most opportune time. My mother just passed away, and the week before her passing, I was offered employment. I'm glad that I was able to make her proud and happy about my new job. Again, thank you for your advice. Deborah Savage

ako si in Rocklin, California

73 months ago

hello readers. can anyone give me a piece of advise or help?!I am a fresh graduate as a phlebotomist.I don't have experience beside my externship and school. I don't know what to do to get a job because it seems that everyone or each hospitals and clinics that I applied they told me that I need atleast six mos. experience, but hello? how can I have experience if they don't give me a chance right? I even ask their advice what should I do to be qualified,so there you go I tried to apply as avolunteer at red cross as they told me too,but the person I spoke with,he told me that they do not have a position for phlebotomist.I really don't know what should I do right now,it's seems that I don't have any luck finding a job.please can anyone suggest or help me what would be the best thing to do! I am starting to lose my patience,and it seems that the career I took is not worth it, and thinking about my tuition fee and my situition as Unemployee drives me nuts!so please.....

Dawn in Bethany, Connecticut

73 months ago

Deborah, Congratz on your new job: ) It takes time to get your foot in the door but it eventually pays off. Oh and Fred, I know I spelled congratulations incorrectly, it was intentional. :P Fred didn't they teach you to always end your sentences with proper punctuation?

73 months ago

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it, and as for Fred, touche'. Oh by the way Fred, that is a french word. Again thank you! Sincerely, Deborah Savage

Vicky in Chicago, Illinois

72 months ago

Vicky in Chicago, Illinois

72 months ago

Hi,
I see you are having some trouble!
Here is the perfect answer for you! It will answer any questions that you may and will surely get you that job!
Best of luck,
vicky
vehida85.wowhired.hop.clickbank.net

Shelly F. in Littleton, Colorado

69 months ago

It is amazingly frustrating to get a job s a phlebotomist. I was lucky enpugh to land job at a hospital. But after 2 years with the company I had quit my job becasue of the hour long drive and price of gas. Everyone told me that since I now had 2 years of experience that I would have no problem finding a job. WRONG! I have applied at two hospitals near where I live and have not been hired. I did however get an interview. One was only part time - but part time is better than "no-time". To no avail - position given to someone else. Next was a 2 hour interview - but again - jog given to someone else in the company - from a different hospital. Very frustrating in these difficult imes. They always say that health care is a sure way to stay employed! Hah - not so...I am still unemployed - 3 months - always on the computer visiting every site I can think of. Has anyone taken the Virtual job tryout? Don't think I did very well on the last part. Heartbreking as I did an excellent job at the hospital!

deborah_savage in Lancaster, Ohio

69 months ago

Well I have one better than that! How about you get a job as an off-site phleb and you are not allowed to sign up for any type of benefits, be it medical, dental, vision or even PTO. I am hired for the position as a contingent, and given $3.00 an hour more than full or part time because we do not get any benefits. At the beginning of the year they take back the $3.00 an hour and still we are not allowed any benefits. If you add that times eight, times five, times four, it turns out to be quite a bit of money at the end of the month. At the time that all of this was taking place, the price of gasoline was over three dollars a gallon and I was driving an F-250. To think of going elsewhere when everyone was getting laid off was unthinkable. After all of that I ended up losing my job and have been unemployed for a month. To make matters worse, I was discharged without just cause. So, this should be interesting when I start applying at other hospitals. Sad thing is that I did not get the opportunity to finish my training and the amount of experience that most places require. My problem is two-fold as I see it. I am very sorry to hear about what happened to you. I loved my job and where I worked and most of the people that I worked with. I was a hard worker and very dedicated to my job and fellow co-workers.

Donna in Rockdale, Texas

59 months ago

Sincerly,

CPT Phlebotomist in Ohio
deborah_savage@yahoo.com

Did you ask God if this is where he wants you? Maybe your trying to hard to get somewhere that wasn't ever meant to be. First seek God and let him lead you where he can best use you for his glory.

Dawn in Bethany, Connecticut

59 months ago

Donna in Rockdale, Texas said: Did you ask God if this is where he wants you?

Somehow I don't think this was the answer she was looking for. It's extremely upsetting after going to school, putting forth all the time and effort to become a Phlebotomist, only to be rejected over lack of experience or age discrimination as implied in the post.

BigPanda in Pasadena, California

57 months ago

my gf happened to work as an HR before being going into being a program specialist. According to her, age discrimination does come to play when selecting an applicant for interview.

I'm on the same boat as many of you considering the 8 week long phlebotomy internship doesn't really qualify much for the 1 yr + experience most hospitals/clinics/labs ask for. I've gotten interviews too but sometimes I wonder if they were really just courtesy interviews. And for the times I didn't get an interview, I got a notice saying the position was filled (internally) by someone with higher seniority or experience.

And god good luck for those trying Quest. Just because you 'think' you did well on their "virtual" portion doesn't mean you may have done well. Add to the fact that your performance on that virtual thing exists for what ... 6 months? Applying to any future open positions would be a moot point since the computers will reference back to how you did on that. At least with LabCorp, there's a separate typing/data entry test you have to perform alongside the virtual thing so they can better gauge your skills.

I would like to ask a tip though since I'm confused on this part. For those of you like me with the 2-6 month experience and got the interview/job, do you know how you were ultimately chosen? [Considering there are thousands of other CPT out there with probably greater experience]

KATHIEB in Meriden, Connecticut

57 months ago

Sincerly,

CPT Phlebotomist in Ohio
deborah_savage@yahoo.com

There are spelling errors in your blog. Check that in your resume just to rule it
out. Other than that I think that there is just too much competition with the
job market being what it is.Hang in there,something will open up, good luck!

Erin Myers in Reseda, California

57 months ago

I often wonder if my age has anything to do with it. I turn 40 this year and when I go into Interviews, it seems as though people always direct their questions to me in a way that suggests "why would you want to do this Job at your age?"

Sheesh...the extreme unprofessionalism I'm seeing out there....

Kathy in Columbus, Ohio

57 months ago

I was considering taking the phlebotomy course in Columbus Ohio but after reading all the blogs on here, I am now reconsidering. I am afraid to spend the money for the course only to be turned away when seeking a job. I have two things against me and haven't even took the course. My age and experience. ( Im 52) Guess I should look into something else. Thanks for all the posts.

Linda in Upland, California

57 months ago

Deborah_Savage@yahoo.com in Columbus, Ohio said: Dearest Fred,

I sincerely apologize for offendind you with my spelling errors. I am not a medical student by any means, only a CPT Phlebotomist. However, I am fluent in another language, so I am not as complete a fool as you seem to think of me. I don't see what my my ability to stick someone has to do with spelling. I am an Architectural Drafter and I also design Kitchen and Bath layouts. I also have a Manicuring License for CA, and last but not least, I also have an A.S. in Business. I still do not see what the relevance of my spellin errors has to do with age? Or would you be inferring that I am too old to do the job properly because of my spelling errors? I have read many comments from different individuals that are medical students and their spelling leaves much to be desired. I am not led to believe that they aren't competent in their field of education.I will defend myself by saying,that when I typed my comments on this forum it happened to be during the wee hours of the morning, and in future I will be a little more conscious of my spelling.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. You are correct that piss poor spelling is awful, especially when one happens to be my age......
Sincerely and most grateful, Deborah Savage

Right on Deb.. he needed to be put in his place

Linda Woz in Buffalo, New York

53 months ago

Kathy in Columbus, Ohio said: I was considering taking the phlebotomy course in Columbus Ohio but after reading all the blogs on here, I am now reconsidering. I am afraid to spend the money for the course only to be turned away when seeking a job. I have two things against me and haven't even took the course. My age and experience. ( Im 52) Guess I should look into something else. Thanks for all the posts.
I think your age will be an asset. I am 56 and will start my phlebotomy program here in October. I am wiser, kinder, more patient and definitely compassionate after taking care of my mom for the 13 yrs before she passed away. And I have an adult autistic, nonverbal daughter too so I'm very patient with folks with developmental disabilities. I think that makes me an asset to a company, not a burden.

kathieb in Norwich, Connecticut

53 months ago

I am 56 and just became certified. I agree that age can be an asset.Let's hope so and go for it!

53 months ago

Did you enjoy your program? Was the certification difficult? I'd appreciate hearing about your internship if you feel like sharing. The August class where I plan on attending is already full; I'm going for the next one that starts in October; only 15 per class. Thank you again, Linda

53 months ago

I don't know if this is an odd question, but; many of you are saying how difficult it is to get a job once you've completed the phlebotomy program successfully and get your certification. It all seems to boil down to not having that 1 yr experience-if money wasn't a factor (like for me becoming a phlebotomist is just something I've always wanted) and besides having a daughter with developmental disabilities and then caring for my mom for 8 yrs until she passed away-well, life just got in the way for me and I couldn't do it. Now I can and my husband can support us even if it takes me awhile to land a job. Would clinics/nursing homes/insurance companies, etc., let me volunteer as a phlebotomist for a yr to keep my hands on skills and get more experience and use that time towards my 1 yr needed experience to get a paying job?

kathieb in Uncasville, Connecticut

53 months ago

I don't think you would need to volunteer a full year. But
volunteering in any capacity could put you in contact with
people who could recommend you. Think about this ; at SOME
point SOMEONE must hire new grads or else no one would
get experience. Keep applying ;you will get hired.

53 months ago

I agree. And I've completed a 300 hour Medical Secretary Program thru our Erie 1 BOCES and I also completed alomst 3 full semesters of a 2 yr R.N. program at a college here and withdrew in good academic standing because my daughter with disabilities needed me more. So I've completed Math for Meds, anatomy and physiology, medical terminology,medical ethics, and much more. And I just really want this so bad!

kathieb in Uncasville, Connecticut

53 months ago

Linda, You are more than qualified. Make sure your resume is a great one. Have a professional
resume writer critique it. Your heart was in the right place to care for your daughter. That is
something you will never regret. Now it is your turn. I will pray for your job search as I
am for mine.

53 months ago

Thank you so much for your kind and supportive words. I had to take my daughter to Quest this morning for routine blood work and so naturally I asked the phlebotomist there how she enjoyed her work. She loves what she does and said there is no shortage of jobs for phlebotomists around here, that Quest is always looking for people. She told me which schools here to look into and was very positive about it. I think thats alot of it; having a positive outlook and wanting it enough to not let anything discourage you.

Amy in Los Angeles, California

53 months ago

Sincerly,

CPT Phlebotomist in Ohio
deborah_savage@yahoo.com

Hi
I think if you volunteer for a little, they can see what you can do. That way maybe they will keep you.

Kelly in Hesperia, California

51 months ago

Im having the same problems..Im new just got my license and Im just going to start applying everywhere. Maybe ill get hired maybe not, but I cant give up. What is the Virtual Job Tryout? Thanks

kathieb in Wallingford, Connecticut

51 months ago

Hi, Virtual tryout is on Quest site, interesting to do BUT you
need at least a full hour or so to complete it. Don't know if it
helps get you hired but you need to do it to apply at Quest.

Kelly in Hesperia, California

51 months ago

Thanks Kathieb, Im going to apply at quest I was just curious what it was..

edwwardalvillar in Los Angeles, California

42 months ago

hey i read only about half way down the page... i feel all ur guys' pain... im actually writing this for my dad, but its effin hard out there on a pimp if u know what i mean... my dad has like 7+ years experience at the blood bank as phleb and 6+ years exp at diagnostic labs as a phleb, got called to take cpt 2 class, we had some bullish problems, he missed class yeah not good... aanyways he's been unemployed now since feb and looking hard pounding the pavement every hospital in 30 miles and every lab n portamedic.. everything we could think of craigslist monster indeed... it seems as if everyones just collecting resumes

i dont know hes 55 as well... maybe doesnt have anything to do with him still being unemployed...
im telling u how do we emphasize the fact that daily, when all the other phlebs were having trouble, my dad was running to all their facilities apolagizing to the patient and getting it like butter, hes good really good

Kathieb in Higganum, Connecticut

42 months ago

I think there is simply too much competition for jobs. Does your Dad's resume or cover letter state that he is excellent at difficult draws? That he was always called in where others failed?
It SHOULD! He needs to retake what ever class he missed and redo his resume. Then call everyone he ever worked for. I think you really need an IN these days.

PHLEBOTEK in Chicago, Illinois

41 months ago

Deborah,

Please submit your resume at www.phlebotek.com. We are a nationwide staffing agency that strictly focuses on Phlebotomy.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.