Looking for Phlebotomy training in Knoxville, TN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (47)

cogle in Maryville, Tennessee

77 months ago

I am currently interected in a career change. I am having a difficult time finding a phlebotomy training program in the Knoxville area. I have already contacted Lab Corp. They do not offer training. Please help!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

TopDog4u25 in Maryville, Tennessee

75 months ago

Hey, If still interested, I just found out that the Health and Drug Admin in Maryville is starting classes June 20,2009.I am going to check them out next week to sign up for it.I have been wanting a carrer change for so long and it has been in the health carrer path. Hope you find this helpfull!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cogle in Maryville, Tennessee

75 months ago

Do you have any info for the classes? Also, do you have the contact info for the classes? I am unable to find a telephone number?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bernice in Knoxville, Tennessee

74 months ago

TopDog4u25 in Maryville, Tennessee said: Hey, If still interested, I just found out that the Health and Drug Admin in Maryville is starting classes June 20,2009.I am going to check them out next week to sign up for it.I have been wanting a carrer change for so long and it has been in the health carrer path. Hope you find this helpfull!

Hey, If you would please give more detail and phone # as to where this place is at Maryville.Because I looked up the Health and Drug Admin..and could not find a phone or any other info on it. tyvm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pati Cornell in Madisonville, Tennessee

73 months ago

Bernice in Knoxville, Tennessee said: Hey, If you would please give more detail and phone # as to where this place is at Maryville.Because I looked up the Health and Drug Admin..and could not find a phone or any other info on it. tyvm

Do you have a telphone number yet for this place? I am searching for this for my daughter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pati Cornell in Madisonville, Tennessee

73 months ago

Were you able to get a telphone number for this place? I could sure use it if you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bernice in Knoxville, Tennessee

73 months ago

Here you go, Tenn Drug and Alcohol
207 Gill St.
Alcoa,Tenn 37701
Test Site: 903 Mccammon Ave.
Maryville Tenn. 37801
phone:eight,six,five,nine,eigth,zero,zero,six,zero,zero
I'm sorry I have to spell it cause they say I cannot put in phone numbers.
its about $350.00 and same day certification.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Pati Cornell in Madisonville, Tennessee

73 months ago

Thank you so ver much!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

job seeker in Morristown, Tennessee

72 months ago

Need a reference on this training. Just want to make sure they are legitimate before I give them $350. I can't believe they can train you in just one day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pati Cornell in Madisonville, Tennessee

72 months ago

My daughter goes for her training next Thursday. I can give you better info after that. They told her you get your certification after one stick but then they have a program that does not cost extra that you can earn a higher certificate when you get 100 sticks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pati Cornell in Madisonville, Tennessee

72 months ago

Actually my daughter goes on Friday, not on Thursday and I previously wrote. Will post how her experience was after that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Strawberry Plains, Tennessee

72 months ago

please let us know what she thinks about it? I am very intrested and don't wanna waste my money. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Pati Cornell in Madisonville, Tennessee

72 months ago

I will be happy to. I will try to respond this weekend or Monday at the latest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Concerned Citizen in Morristown, Tennessee

72 months ago

job seeker in Morristown, Tennessee said: Need a reference on this training. Just want to make sure they are legitimate before I give them $350. I can't believe they can train you in just one day.

During my investigations of this class, the following is my interpretation: They are not affiliated in any way with the State of Tennessee, as one might believe just by the name (Tennessee Drug and Alcohol). They are a private owned business that provides drug and alcohol testing to employers in the area. I also discovered that they do not provide job placement after the one day class and 100 sticks. They only issue an Advance Certificate of Traning in Phlebotomy, but it is not recognized by any accredited organization, such as the College of American Pathology (CAP) or any of the other accredited organizations. There is a BIG difference between a "certificate" of completion of training, which is issued by the instructor or school, and being CERTIFIED by an accreditated organization.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Strawberry Plains, Tennessee

71 months ago

So are you saying its a big waste of time and money??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Concerned Citizen in Morristown, Tennessee

71 months ago

I'm saying.... go to an accredited school such as Walters State, etc. which will take about 3 or more months. They will place you in a actual lab to do your clinicals and then when you go to take your test and pass, you will be accredited by a "recognized organization". Employers will be much more likely to hire you as a phlebotomist. Check with the local hospitals. Ask to speak with the lab manager. They can tell you what they look for when hiring. The hospital lab manager I talked to said that even when they train staff already working at their hospital, it takes at least 6 weeks or longer. She said she would be very cautious of a one day class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

TIffany in Strawberry Plains, Tennessee

71 months ago

Okay Thank You very much! Your a blessing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Pati Cornell in Madisonville, Tennessee

71 months ago

My daughter completed her class last Friday. I disagree that it is a waste of time and money and actually it was a person from the lab at one the major hospitals in our area that suggested this class to my daughter. She said it was very thorough and she has now completed 59 sticks so far since Friday and not one person has even said ouch. Before her class she did go around to different doctors offices and they were all receptive of her taking this class and asked that she come back and bring her certification when she completed the class which she is doing today. I am not saying that you would probably learn more at a longer class, however, for her purpose it was a good choice and I believe money well spend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bernice Maynard in Dandridge, Tennessee

71 months ago

I told you so, if you really look around you can find some Dr's office or Medical ficality to take that certification..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pati Cornell in Madisonville, Tennessee

71 months ago

Thank you very much. If you had not had the information on the name and address and phone number, don't think I ever would have found it. I had tried googleing it with no luck. I appreciate your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

trjk in Lenoir City, Tennessee

71 months ago

How long did it take your daughter to complete each class or certifaction?
I am thinking of switching careers and want to go back to school to be an RN (eventually) but in the mean time I need a steady, good income to make a smooth switch. Currently I am a manager for a local finance company with long hours that won't allow me to go back to school. Ideally I would like to get my cerification in phlebotomy to get into the medical field while I go back to school full time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pati Cornell in Madisonville, Tennessee

71 months ago

The class is one day long. 8:30am to 7:30 pm. You get your certification at the end of the day. Then you have the option to pay $10 for the kit to finish getting 100 sticks. They give you the information about that. Once you get the 100 sticks, you get an advanced certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jinn in Stone Mountain, Georgia

71 months ago

Pati Cornell in Madisonville, Tennessee said: My daughter completed her class last Friday. I disagree that it is a waste of time and money and actually it was a person from the lab at one the major hospitals in our area that suggested this class to my daughter. She said it was very thorough and she has now completed 59 sticks so far since Friday and not one person has even said ouch. Before her class she did go around to different doctors offices and they were all receptive of her taking this class and asked that she come back and bring her certification when she completed the class which she is doing today. I am not saying that you would probably learn more at a longer class, however, for her purpose it was a good choice and I believe money well spend.

I'm glad to look here. I am sick and tired of my job and I heard about this place, I have my class in Ocotber 2009. I had turned my money in and someone said oh no get it back it wont be good enough for a job, that i needed more exper. I was upset at first because they don't do refunds, but I told myself this is going to work out. So I'm glad too see someone on here that has been there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

TIffany in Dickson, Tennessee

71 months ago

Does ur daughter have a job yet from that class?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Pati in Athens, Tennessee

70 months ago

No, but it has not been because the class was not good enough, it is because she has been up front with places she has applied that she was out of work for an extended period of time due to having back surgery. She had a spinal fusion and no one seems to want to hire her due to that. Seems like someone could give her a chance. She is a hard worker and dedicated.

Only one dr office said that the certificate she earned was not one they recognized.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

T in Knoxville, Tennessee

70 months ago

Phlebotomy is NOT a class that should be taken in 1 day. I am a phlebotomist. A normal class should be around 30 hours of class and lab time. Anything else will get you into trouble, you can hurt someone if you do not know the osha, hippa, and obra laws. You can also spend time in jail and huge fines for contracting people with infection. Tennessee Tech in Knoxville offers this program, but you must first have the medical ground work, to include CNA, LPN, ect...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Gina in Lenoir City, Tennessee

70 months ago

I actually came across this phlebotomy class that Roane State offers in Knoxville, TN. The particular class that I enrolled in meets every Saturday from 8:30a-4:30p. I started 10/17/09. This Saturday we will be doing our first draws on real people, it will be my 3rd of 5 classes. I love it. I did not have prev. medical experience. I have been in management in the financial field for over 5 yrs and restaurant management for 6 yrs prior to that. I am familiar with OSHA, HIPPA and CDC and we just went over the legal aspects. Though I am doing well in this class, I do see how having previous medical experience would give you an edge when it comes to the basics. This is only the 2nd phlebotomy class they have offered it is a certificate program. From what I understand they will be requiring previous medical experience in the future. I appreciate your oppinion, thanks for sharing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pati in Athens, Tennessee

70 months ago

Thank you for sharing as well. If you do not mind telling, what was the cost of this class?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gina in Lenoir City, Tennessee

69 months ago

The classes are held at the Knoxville Roane State location. The class itself was $300 and another $45 for the book.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

misty in Sevierville, Tennessee

62 months ago

cogle in Maryville, Tennessee said: I am currently interected in a career change. I am having a difficult time finding a phlebotomy training program in the Knoxville area. I have already contacted Lab Corp. They do not offer training. Please help!!!

I am not too sure about Knoxville having a Phlebotomy class to take. I took one at the Tennessee Drug and Alcohol Center in Maryville. The cost is $350.00. When I took the class it was a two day process. They offer two classes per month and they have a sign up in front saying when the next classes will be. I am not sure exactly what street it's on but if your coming to Maryville from Knox stay to the left and follow 129. There will be a Save-alot on your left and a Kroger on your right. Right after the Kroger, turn right onto that street. There will be medical offices on the corner to your left, keep going and its like the next building to your left. There will be a sign that says when the next classes are. You may need to call them and see what the name of the street is. Also, try to get signed up fast because the classes fill up pretty quick. Gald I could help. Good luck to you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

misty in Sevierville, Tennessee

62 months ago

misty in Sevierville, Tennessee said: I am not too sure about Knoxville having a Phlebotomy class to take. I took one at the Tennessee Drug and Alcohol Center in Maryville. The cost is $350.00. When I took the class it was a two day process. They offer two classes per month and they have a sign up in front saying when the next classes will be. I am not sure exactly what street it's on but if your coming to Maryville from Knox stay to the left and follow 129. There will be a Save-alot on your left and a Kroger on your right. Right after the Kroger, turn right onto that street. There will be medical offices on the corner to your left, keep going and its like the next building to your left. There will be a sign that says when the next classes are. You may need to call them and see what the name of the street is. Also, try to get signed up fast because the classes fill up pretty quick. Gald I could help. Good luck to you

I also want to add that I was also very surprized that this was a one day class. When I had went, they started doing a 2 day class. I had asked questions regarding this being such a short time and how in the world would I ever get 100 sticks? They had told me that the students normally go to the hospital to get jobs. This week at Blount Mem. they have 2 openings and they train you fully. It did,however, say that experience was helpful but not required. Maybe you could go that route. I was thinking of going to a blood bank but I don't feel comfortable with the lack of training that I wasn't given. I myself have very tiney veins and they roll. I think I would have a panic attack if i had to take blood from the elderly or children.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

noseynurse in Milan, Tennessee

59 months ago

T in Knoxville, Tennessee said: Phlebotomy is NOT a class that should be taken in 1 day. I am a phlebotomist. A normal class should be around 30 hours of class and lab time. Anything else will get you into trouble, you can hurt someone if you do not know the osha, hippa, and obra laws. You can also spend time in jail and huge fines for contracting people with infection. Tennessee Tech in Knoxville offers this program, but you must first have the medical ground work, to include CNA, LPN, ect...

I am a nurse and replying to pathologic rant posted by Panicky Phlebotomist T. The laws cited by panicked Phlebotomist T have nothing to do with causing physical harm to patient, and the panicked referral to jail for unintended infection is blatantly false. Every new employer will go over the current HIPPA/OSHA/OBRA laws in effect at the time you are hired because most laws change. Phlebotomist T must have been asleep, or at least confused, in class because there are fines and jail for maliciously and intrusively revealing Private Health Information of patients, but there is no fine nor jail for infections caused by mere innocent error or simple neglect. Calm down. Basically just do not talk about patients' Protected Health Information or allow their records to be seen and you will stay within the law. Many of the state community colleges and some Tenn Technology Centers (vocational) have phlebotomist classes, and there are several private companies offering phlebotomist classes. You can always work at doctor's offices or blood banks to get the experience that you are basically buying in the longer phlebotomist programs, and the shorter programs may be a useful way to update if you have not drawn blood for some time or be a good way to help you get a job where you can practice. 3day classes are available from phleb.com as another source. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pati in Athens, TN in Athens, Tennessee

59 months ago

Thank you noseynurse in Milan, Tennessee. There are so many people just waiting to pounce on anything. The training my daughter received was very good. With all the negativity out there, no wonder the world is in the shape it is in!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

babygrllion in Seymour, Tennessee

54 months ago

do u have to be a CNA to be a phlebotomist at Roane State

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ghio in La Follette, Tennessee

54 months ago

Im wondering the same thing im trying to get in and the tech center wants a cert ive not got to talk to roane state yet

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

toddklepper in Maryville, Tennessee

54 months ago

babygrllion in Seymour, Tennessee said: do u have to be a CNA to be a phlebotomist at Roane State

You must posses a CNA, LPN, RN, EMT inorders to qualify. Any Allied Health certificate or degree. The phlebotomy field is a great field, but I would strongly sugest going into another area. Most schools that offer this program do not offer the required sticks to set for the state exam inorder to get a job. Most hospitals hire pre-existing employees to fill these positions and train them on the job. This is a very ruff job to break into. Sorry I could not give happier news. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Maryville, Tennessee

54 months ago

babygrllion in Seymour, Tennessee said: do u have to be a CNA to be a phlebotomist at Roane State

no

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Missy in Maryville, Tennessee

52 months ago

misty in Sevierville, Tennessee said: I also want to add that I was also very surprized that this was a one day class. When I had went, they started doing a 2 day class. I had asked questions regarding this being such a short time and how in the world would I ever get 100 sticks? They had told me that the students normally go to the hospital to get jobs. This week at Blount Mem. they have 2 openings and they train you fully. It did,however, say that experience was helpful but not required. Maybe you could go that route. I was thinking of going to a blood bank but I don't feel comfortable with the lack of training that I wasn't given. I myself have very tiney veins and they roll. I think I would have a panic attack if i had to take blood from the elderly or children.

They apparently didn't train you very well, as there is no such thing as "rolling veins". Not a good advertisement for that class. Those who say they can't hit your vein because it rolls are saying that so that they don't look incompetent. Just fyi.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Certified Phlebotomist in Maryville, Tennessee

51 months ago

Part 1 of 2

Okay, let's clear everything up from the beginning. I am from Michigan, and I went to an accelerated Medical Assistant program where they took a two year course, and crammed it into six months of training. It was very fast paced, and if I do the math for you, I can tell you that I learned everything I needed to know about the Phlebotomy aspect in only 10 days.

How in the world can you learn everything there is to know about anything in 10 days? You can't. That is why there are books out there to help you advance in your study.

Walters State Community College, University of Tennsessee, Knoxville Technology Center to name a few have some really good Phlebotomy courses out there. That is, if you can afford the $1500 it cost to take the course. Unless you are a CNA, then it is $300.

Or you can get a job at Medic in Knoxville where you do not need any medical experience at all. Put your time in, and eventually you will be promoted to Phlebotomist where they say "Here is the needle, there is the vein, go ahead and stick it." That is their phlebotomy crash course. I have seen people do that, get their 100 sticks in, and take the test to become Certified.

There is a lot of talk about the Tennessee Drug and Alcohol Phlebotomy course. All it is is something to get your foot in the door. If that were me, I'd jump on that, and then find out what my next option was. I know people out there who has gone through that course and had great success with it. And I have seen people who have gone through Walters State, UT, and and Knoxville Tech still looking for a job. No program garantees a job placement. Especially with the economy the way it is. You just have the education for that job placement.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Certified Phlebotomist in Maryville, Tennessee

51 months ago

Part 2 of 2:

Yes, there are a lot of different kinds of veins out there. Rolling veins to begin with. Yes, there are people with "Rolling Veins" and we do not say that is what they have so we don't look incompetent when we miss! No class teaches you about the rolling veins and small veins and every other kind of vein out there. That comes with experience.

After you go through the Phlebotomy classes, weather it be through UT, Knoxville, or the Drug and Alcohol place....in order to get Certified, you need to find a place to get certified through. I will give you two books to go buy and if you buy these books, and study them, you will not only learn everything you need to know about being a Phlebotomist, but you will also pass the state exam. Or in my case, I ACEd the state exam because I found that most of the questions asked on the state exam came almost word for word in these two books!!! I believe I missed 2 questions on the exam.

The books can be found at Barnes and Nobel in Knoxville, or on Ebay, or other sites. I recommend these two books:

The first one is "Phlebotomy Essentials" 4th edition by Ruth E. McCall.

And there is a work book which usually has to be purchased separately that goes along with this book called "Phlebotomy Exam Review" 3rd edition by Ruth E. McCal. Both books are made by Wolters Kluvwer/ Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.

This site will not allow me to put in the ISBN number. Let me know if you have trouble finding the book. Barnes and Noble can order the books for you. Well worth the money!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Missy in Maryville, Tennessee

51 months ago

Certified Phlebotomist in Maryville, Tennessee said: Part 2 of 2:

Yes, there are a lot of different kinds of veins out there. Rolling veins to begin with. Yes, there are people with "Rolling Veins" and we do not say that is what they have so we don't look incompetent when we miss! No class teaches you about the rolling veins and small veins and every other kind of vein out there. That comes with experience.

After you go through the Phlebotomy classes, weather it be through UT, Knoxville, or the Drug and Alcohol place....in order to get Certified, you need to find a place to get certified through. I will give you two books to go buy and if you buy these books, and study them, you will not only learn everything you need to know about being a Phlebotomist, but you will also pass the state exam. Or in my case, I ACEd the state exam because I found that most of the questions asked on the state exam came almost word for word in these two books!!! I believe I missed 2 questions on the exam.

The books can be found at Barnes and Nobel in Knoxville, or on Ebay, or other sites. I recommend these two books:

The first one is "Phlebotomy Essentials" 4th edition by Ruth E. McCall.

And there is a work book which usually has to be purchased separately that goes along with this book called "Phlebotomy Exam Review" 3rd edition by Ruth E. McCal. Both books are made by Wolters Kluvwer/ Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.

This site will not allow me to put in the ISBN number. Let me know if you have trouble finding the book. Barnes and Noble can order the books for you. Well worth the money!

Hmmm...in 4 years of classroom and clinical training, not once have I heard of "rolling veins". In fact, several RNs in the ER where I work agree that this in not an actual thing. But, of course we could all be mistaken. :~)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Casey

51 months ago

I'm currently enrolled in a CNA program in Knoxville. Once I receive my license, I want to enroll in a Phlebotomy course. Any suggestions where to go, that's affordable?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Missy in Maryville, Tennessee

50 months ago

Roane State has a great program, and there's plenty of financial aid to be found. The Pell grant is a good resource especially, though of course I don't know if you would qualify for it. Also, check out your local Career Center, they have assistance programs too, and they can help you fill out your financial aid paperwork from whatever school you choose. Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sonia deleon in Dallas, Texas

49 months ago

Pati Cornell in Madisonville, Tennessee said: The class is one day long. 8:30am to 7:30 pm. You get your certification at the end of the day. Then you have the option to pay $10 for the kit to finish getting 100 sticks. They give you the information about that. Once you get the 100 sticks, you get an advanced certification.

do they have this in dallas tx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pati in Athens, Tennessee

49 months ago

I'm sorry I have no idea if they have one in Dallas. You might call them and ask.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pawasmom in Mcminnville, Tennessee

42 months ago

Could anyone please answe this question for me? First off, I have a course completion certificate from a 3-day phlebotomy course from the American Safety and Health administration. Is this enough to go for my certification? Secondly, I am about to graduate with my associates in medical assisting. Can I go for the certification because I finished school? I know that I can take the LXMO, but I am not sure about the phlebotomy certification. Any instruction would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tiffbarrett in Maryville, Tennessee

27 months ago

So im really thinking about go to the drug n alcohol center to take the phlebotomy
but I am kinda worried about it being a 2 day course witch they help you get 100 sticks n its only $400 . All the other courses are $1500 n 6 weeks but I really dont have that kinda of money thats why im trying to start a career !! So can someone please give me some advice ??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.