Comments (1 to 50 of 66)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

carly1020 in West Greenwich, Rhode Island

63 months ago

www.911programs.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JOHANNA in Dominican Republic

59 months ago

EmariJolie in Bristol, Rhode Island said: I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR CLASSES FOR PHLEBOTOMY IN RHODE ISLAND.. THE ONLY ONES I CAN FIND OUR AT CCRI. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY OTHER PLACES?

CCRI IS TO EXPENSIVE, I WILL LIKE TO DO IT TOO, BUT TO MUCH MONEY AND A LOT OF TIME...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Marieb in Swansea, Massachusetts

56 months ago

EmariJolie in Bristol, Rhode Island said: I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR CLASSES FOR PHLEBOTOMY IN RHODE ISLAND.. THE ONLY ONES I CAN FIND OUR AT CCRI. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY OTHER PLACES?

Hi Jolie, You can try the Health Training Center their Site
is located at Fisher College in Attleboro,MA near by RI.
I want to tell you it may be differcult to find a job.
The employers all want experience. You may want to consider
another career. Please e - mail me with any questions.
I'm a cerified Phlebotomist and I've been out of a job for over a year. Gook luck Marie

PS My e-mail is mvacuumcleaner@comcast.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marieb in Swansea, Massachusetts

56 months ago

JOHANNA in Dominican Republic said: CCRI IS TO EXPENSIVE, I WILL LIKE TO DO IT TOO, BUT TO MUCH MONEY AND A LOT OF TIME...

Hi johanna, I went to the Health Training Center. They have affordable plans and have sites in Attleboro,Ma near RI.
Check out their web site.
WWW.Health Training Center . com
Good luck Marie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Carolyn in Providence, Rhode Island

56 months ago

Hi Johanna-I've been thinking of taking a phlebotomy course too, and also found that CCRI is quite long. Check out www.911programs.com, it's not an online course. I just heard from one of the personnel that said the next class starts April 18, 2010, lasts for 8-9 weeks, an all-day program on Saturdays at URI in Kingston. Cost is $1150 plus $25 for uniform. I think I just may sign up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

kim6572 in Westerly, Rhode Island

56 months ago

carly1020 in West Greenwich, Rhode Island said: www.911programs.com

Has anyone taken this class at URI ? If you have any imfo & input I would appreciate it.

Thank You

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Hi Kim - I've been seriously checking it out, but no, I have not taken the class. For me, I thought it was going to be held on Saturdays, all day, which would be nice, but classes start 4/18 and will be held on Mon & Wed, 6:00-9:00 and end on July 1st. I have a job on the East Side that if from 8:30-5:00, which leaves only enough time to get to class in Kingston. I live in Riverside (East Providence), so the Kingston trip 2x a week would be draining; once a week on Saturdays would be ideal for me. On the other hand, it only lasts for 11 weeks!

The person I spoke with, Bill Howe, was very nice. Also, emailed Valerie yesterday (Tue, 1/26) to see if they'll be having classes on Saturdays if/when they offer Phlebotomy in the Fall.

To me, sounds like the way to go. There's also another place in Attleboro healthtrainingcenter.com Check out their site, sounds like a little more comprehensive, and expensive. As for CCRI, takes way too long, too many "other" classes.

Hope this helps! If I find out any other info, I'll pass it on.

Carolyn

56 months ago

Hi Jen - a couple of questions...Did you ever doubt that you could physically do the job? Did you practice on people before you did your clinicals at the end of the class? Was the internship at a RI hospital? Did you get a job soon after you graduated, and what's the payscale like? Hope that's not too many Q's! Thanks for any info you can give me. Carolyn.

Bill Howe in Charlestown, Rhode Island

55 months ago

kim6572 in Westerly, Rhode Island said: Has anyone taken this class at URI ? If you have any imfo & input I would appreciate it.

Thank You

Hi Kim,

We offer phlebotomy courses at URI in Kingston 2-3 times per year. As some of the posters have mentioned, we alternate the dates and times to accommodate as many people as possible. One course is Saturdays only (am class and pm lab); the next course is Mon/Wed evening (Mon class / Wed lab). Then we switch back again.

Because we don't require students to take General Education studies (such as English Composition), we are able to deliver the program in less time and for less money. Another thing to consider is that we are the only school in Rhode Island to be accredited by the National Healthcareer Association (we are the state testing site in RI). We hear that very soon phlebotomy will be a licensed profession in RI and phlebotomists will need national certification as a prerequisite for employment.

One final note is that in the fall students will be able to choose a number of other allied health profession courses such as IV technician and EKG technician as well as our standard EMT and Paramedic courses that we have been doing for 18 years. Please feel free to forward any questions to the Director of Student Services (Valerie) at Valerie@911Programs.com

Good luck in your search for careers and career training.

Best,

Bill Howe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Hi EmariJolie! I am pretty sure I will be taking a Phleb course this spring at URI through "911Programs" - in addition to Phlebotomy, they teach EMT, Paramedics, etc. - they'll set you up with National Certification when finished with the course. Classes will run about 9 weeks beginning April 18th, every Mon & Wed, 6-9 pm at URI. It's a bit of a hike for me, I live in Riverside, but work on the East Side, so from Prov. the travel won't be too bad (I guess) in the Spring.

Also, they MAY be holding another class in the Summer all day on Saturdays (my preference). Check them out! (I found them by googling all day.) Classes cost $1125 plus $25 for scrubs. Their main webside "911Programs.com" is down right now, but you can email Valerie@911Programs.com, she's the enrollment contact, and Bill Howe is the one who runs the program, very nice, just spoke with him for a long time yesterday. (I cannot give his phone number on this forum, but you can google it.)

Give him a call - I was thinking about the CCRI course, but it would take a long time, taking English, Writing, etc.

There's also another place in Attleboro called Health Training Center, which trains in Mass (Attleboro the closest), but takes longer, and more money (healthtrainincenter.com).

Hope this helps!
Carolyn

jen in Cranston, Rhode Island

55 months ago

Carolyn,
No I never doubted myself. Yes we practiced on each other and then the students from the other class. No the internship is not at RIH. Before you get a job you must complete a 120 hour internship that the school finds for you. Only problem is it can take time. I graduated Nov. 9th 2009 and did not get my internship untill Jan 11 2010, so it took me 2 months. It depends on your availability and the length you are willing to travel. The pay scale is about 14 an hour but that can vary downward or upward.

Rena williams in Hyattsville, Maryland

55 months ago

i would love to start training to be a phelbotomist. but were can i go for school , i live in maryland.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JOHANNA in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

55 months ago

JEN SOMEONE TOLD ME THAT IN HEALTH TRAINING CENTER THEY DONT FIND ANY INTERSHIP, ALSO I AM GOING TO TRAVEL ON AUGUST TO STAY THERE AND AFTER THAT MONTH I WILL LIKE TO DO THE TRAINING, WE NEED TO BE POSITIVE AND THINK WE ARE TO FIND JOB..

JOHANNA in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

55 months ago

jen in Cranston, Rhode Island said: I went to Health Training Center. It was an easy program, you do not take any other classes besides Phlebotomy. It was a 3 month program because I only went once a week from 9-5. They set you up on a internship once your class is completed. It was about 1500 I believe and that includes the book.

JEN I WILL LIKE TO KNOW UR EMAIL SO I CAN TALK ABOUT THE PHLEBOTOMY CLASS IN HTC

jen in Cranston, Rhode Island

55 months ago

they find you the internship it just is not instant. I completed my class in the beginning of November and did not start my internship untill January 11th. So it took two months to find it. It depends on how far you are willing to travel, your availability and what is available for the school to offer you. It just depends, i know someone who got one 3 weeks after class, but i also know someone who it took four months before she got hers. So you definetly have to be patient.

johanna in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

55 months ago

jen in Cranston, Rhode Island said: they find you the internship it just is not instant. I completed my class in the beginning of November and did not start my internship untill January 11th. So it took two months to find it. It depends on how far you are willing to travel, your availability and what is available for the school to offer you. It just depends, i know someone who got one 3 weeks after class, but i also know someone who it took four months before she got hers. So you definetly have to be patient.

JEN MY EMAIL IS ADONAI1974@HOTMAIL.COM OR UNMILAGROSOY@YAHOO.COM
SO U CAN TELL ME ABOUT THE STATE TEST ID U DID IT ALREADY

johanna in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

55 months ago

Carolyn in Providence, Rhode Island said: Hi Kim - I've been seriously checking it out, but no, I have not taken the class. For me, I thought it was going to be held on Saturdays, all day, which would be nice, but classes start 4/18 and will be held on Mon & Wed, 6:00-9:00 and end on July 1st. I have a job on the East Side that if from 8:30-5:00, which leaves only enough time to get to class in Kingston. I live in Riverside (East Providence), so the Kingston trip 2x a week would be draining; once a week on Saturdays would be ideal for me. On the other hand, it only lasts for 11 weeks!

The person I spoke with, Bill Howe, was very nice. Also, emailed Valerie yesterday (Tue, 1/26) to see if they'll be having classes on Saturdays if/when they offer Phlebotomy in the Fall.

To me, sounds like the way to go. There's also another place in Attleboro healthtrainingcenter.com Check out their site, sounds like a little more comprehensive, and expensive. As for CCRI, takes way too long, too many "other" classes.

Hope this helps! If I find out any other info, I'll pass it on.

Carolyn

My name is Johanna Aquino I am interested in phlebotomy class, I wonder how much it costs, if any examination first, and how long takes it , if any payment plan, anyway all information I need, can you sent it to me? thank you for your help. adonai1974@hotmail.com (NOT IN CCRI IT TAKES TOO LONG)

Johanna in Dominican Republic

55 months ago

Does anyone knows if the 911programs offer any intership?

D in Coventry, Rhode Island

53 months ago

jen in Cranston, Rhode Island said: I went to Health Training Center. It was an easy program, you do not take any other classes besides Phlebotomy. It was a 3 month program because I only went once a week from 9-5. They set you up on a internship once your class is completed. It was about 1500 I believe and that includes the book.

Jen could you tell me what the name of the book they used I know it is Phlebotomy Essentials but what edition? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paddrick in providence, Rhode Island

53 months ago

Has anyone actually taken Phlebotomy classes with the 911programs?

sue in Bristol, Rhode Island

53 months ago

jen in Cranston, Rhode Island said: they find you the internship it just is not instant. I completed my class in the beginning of November and did not start my internship untill January 11th. So it took two months to find it. It depends on how far you are willing to travel, your availability and what is available for the school to offer you. It just depends, i know someone who got one 3 weeks after class, but i also know someone who it took four months before she got hers. So you definetly have to be patient.

If you all are talking about the health training center they screwed me out of a lot of money and false promises. I would never go their again or even promote them. I think the state should pull their license. I spent a lot of hours studying and no-one cared. once you leave that program no-one addresses you and they state "life time placement" go to a real college.

Marie in Attleboro, Massachusetts

53 months ago

Jen, I'm suprised that you had a problem with HTC. They did provide
internship, but no school, college can gaurrantee job placement.
The only way you can get easy job placement is that if they like your
over-all perfroments and skill and if they need help that they will
hire you. Comypanys are looking for experienced people. Some little
as to 1 yr. It's not that easy to land a job for this professtion.

Linda woz in Buffalo, New York

51 months ago

jen in Cranston, Rhode Island said: Carolyn,
No I never doubted myself. Yes we practiced on each other and then the students from the other class. No the internship is not at RIH. Before you get a job you must complete a 120 hour internship that the school finds for you. Only problem is it can take time. I graduated Nov. 9th 2009 and did not get my internship untill Jan 11 2010, so it took me 2 months. It depends on your availability and the length you are willing to travel. The pay scale is about 14 an hour but that can vary downward or upward.
Can you tell me a little about the actual courses of study to become a phlebotomist? Is it pretty much anatomy and physiology? medical terminology, medical ethics? I'll be going to a program in Buffalo, NY for phlebotomy in October.

Marie M in Wakefield, Rhode Island

50 months ago

Paddrick in providence, Rhode Island said: Has anyone actually taken Phlebotomy classes with the 911programs?

Yes. I have taken the program at URI and I really enjoyed the class. The instructors were excellent and knowledgeable and I received a lot of hands on learning. Environment is laid back and friendly which I found to be very conducive to learning. Only complaint is that I had to wait 3 months for internship--but from what I understand, it is no different at any other school. Seems the hospitals are limiting students more lately. I would recommend it!

Paddrick in providence, Rhode Island

50 months ago

Marie M in Wakefield, Rhode Island said: Yes. I have taken the program at URI and I really enjoyed the class. The instructors were excellent and knowledgeable and I received a lot of hands on learning. Environment is laid back and friendly which I found to be very conducive to learning. Only complaint is that I had to wait 3 months for internship--but from what I understand, it is no different at any other school. Seems the hospitals are limiting students more lately. I would recommend it!

Did you end up finding work?

Marie M in Wakefield, Rhode Island

50 months ago

Paddrick in providence, Rhode Island said: Did you end up finding work?

yes. within 4 weeks had a job. I know of two other students from my class that found jobs also. Just need to be patient and keep eyes and ears open.

yaimevistel2010 in Providence, Rhode Island

49 months ago

i need more information

Johouses in Bristol, Rhode Island

48 months ago

Hi

Did you ever follow thru? Where did you go? Do you know which schools employers like to hire from? Are you working as a phlebotomist?

sue in Pawtucket, Rhode Island

48 months ago

bristol community college has a course.. the only problem is doing the clinical .. I hear it's 5 days a week from 8-5 for several weeks. that's my problem taking the class. I can't afford to quit work. and ccri doesn't give out much information about that schedule. if any one finds out if you really do them all week long every day please let me know. I can arrange a schedule possible for 3 days, but all this stuff about talking to the program directors don't help. everyone seems very unhelpful these days... not to mention rude... but they will take that fat check wen you write it.

Linda in Wakefield, Rhode Island

41 months ago

Hi Sue, did you ever find a phlebotomy class? My sister took it with 911Programs and loved it. She did not have to do clinicals that long and found the people to be very nice. I am thinking of taking their cardio-phlebotomy class in Sept. Does anyone know the job outlook for cardio-phlebotomy?

40 months ago

Linda in Wakefield, Rhode Island said: Hi Sue, did you ever find a phlebotomy class? My sister took it with 911Programs and loved it. She did not have to do clinicals that long and found the people to be very nice. I am thinking of taking their cardio-phlebotomy class in Sept. Does anyone know the job outlook for cardio-phlebotomy?

HI Sue, I've been looking into the 911 program for which I found that there is another location in charles street without going to URI. I have emailed them looking for information before sending the
check. Where did your sister do her clinicals. ? I work 3rd shift and think I am going to do this. I just want to be sure that all the positive is going to come out of this... I did the Health training Center for medical billing and coding and did my own internship and to this day 3 years later it went no-where with a hunk of money out of my pocket. send me email and let me know any details I may have missed out. thanks

40 months ago

She did her clinical at RIH. She did 40 hours for one week during the day shift.

ja in Cranston, Rhode Island

40 months ago

I am looking into all the phlebotomy classes out there. my concerns are not the length of time like ccri has but the idea that I do not want to have needle stcks practiced on me! I have no tolerance for pain with needles. does anyone know if ccri or bcc have students practicing on each other

emstraining in Wakefield, Rhode Island

40 months ago

Dear ja in Cranston

Most medical training schools use the students as "victims" when conducting laboratory sessions; it's a necessary evil. It also gives students regardless of occupation (EMT, Paramedic, CNA, Phlebotomy, EKG tech) an opportunity to see what it's like on the patient's side - this exercise increases awareness and empathy of health care providers.

That being said, 911Programs does offer an alternative to students who have an extraordinary fear of needles. Students are only permitted to draw on other students if the student offers him/herself in reciprocation. However, the student may bring a guest to be drawn in place of the student. This might be a more palatable option for you.

Just wanted you to have all the information on alternative solutions for you.

Good luck with your career training research.

Very Sincerely,

Bill Howe, B.A., REMT-P
President, 911Programs

40 months ago

Thank you for some information, I am old and wise and one of those people you need to have awareness and empathy on when one approaches me with a needle as well as a health care provider I have seen a lot. The nurses tell me that students are not allowed to stick one another when courses are taken at the local "colleges" as well as against the board of health. I am glad to receive information from the director of the 911 program.This makes me slightly confused on how to go about doing such a program since I have a high tolerance to being stuck. As part of your program, if you do not have someone to bring with you what other options would one of your students have. I can give it, but a terrible patient to receive it. I have a great deal of empathy for these type of patients.
thanks for the info

carina in Cranston, Rhode Island

39 months ago

I have been looking around for phlebotomy classes in RI. I found a few, Cranston AEP gives classes starting in aug 2011 for phlebotomy and ekg included for $900.00. But, they do not offer and intern/externship:-( Classes are 6 months, 2 days a week. Another I found was the 911programs for $2400.00 they do offer an externship. EKG is separate and another $2400.00 CCRI is $5000.00 one yr, part time,ekg included. Sanford-Brown Inst. I think was 10,000. for medical assistant which included phlebotomy and EKG. I would like to go to a less expensive program. My question is if I do that will I not be able to take out finacial aid because it is not an actual school but a program? which do you suggest I go with?

39 months ago

Actually, at 911Programs, if you take EKG and Phlebotomy (cardiophlebotomy) the second portion is 1200 not 2400...for a total of 3600 for both. I noticed on their website they just started a Patient care tech program for 4500 which includes phleb, ekg, and cna which takes about 6 months. I dont think they offer financial aid though. I dont know much about Cranston AEP. Its a tough call. Depends on your timeline and finances I guess.

39 months ago

Is there a difference when they look at hiring?

39 months ago

carina in Cranston, Rhode Island said: Is there a difference when they look at hiring?

Hi carina, sometimes I wonder what they look at when hiring. sometimes I think it's who you know. I do know that there is a standard for the fare act that any company whether medical or otherwise hire on the ratio to balance the ethic background for equal opportunity on their records.
So in other words, a company mush keep a balance to hire whites, blacks, spanish etc to comply with this ratio. Don't let anyone kid you on that. To me you should be hired for education and knowledge not who or whom you are, but it does go on out there and the unemployment act and government does watch and report this, and hiring companies report this with all their benefit kick backs etc. I see it in my place all the time. If not it would be discrimination if all people under the same ethic back ground in color or religion were hired in one place. it's called diversity... it keeps the organizations clean and free. only we all suffer. So if your a smart black, spanish, white etc person you may not get hired caused the company needs another race or religion to fill their quota. it keeps them compliant... too bad for all of us sitting in the class room exchanging food, ideas, etc of all race and religion, we get along, but the companies and the government pull us apart

Maureen Campbell in Warwick, Rhode Island

39 months ago

The work force looks for experience. No matter where you go to school or how long you intern, it is not considered part of your experience. In essence,It is nice to have a clinical experience to get into the lab and maybe get a job afterwards if they like you, but truth be told, if you are in a good program that teaches alot of hands on in the class and provides opportunity to get the draws you need, in the end, I do not think whether you had clinicals or not really matters when you go for a job. Unfortunately, Clinical time is not experience in the eyes of an employer. Also, you will not get pedi draws on clinicals. Most hospitals will not allow pedi draws until you are hired and experienced.

39 months ago

I am already in the work force in a hospital as a cna doing ekg's, etc adl's all that stuff. interested in blood draws. already did the medical and coding course, internships at other hospitals, pass experience purchaser, paralegal education, medical record history extraction for the CDC, but I now have to pay another 3 grand for phlebotomy, have secretarial behind me, what's up with all this money we spend to be hired again for 14.00 per hour after working for 25.00 per hour..

39 months ago

sue in Pawtucket, Rhode Island said: I am already in the work force in a hospital as a cna doing ekg's, etc adl's all that stuff. interested in blood draws. already did the medical and coding course, internships at other hospitals, pass experience purchaser, paralegal education, medical record history extraction for the CDC, but I now have to pay another 3 grand for phlebotomy, have secretarial behind me, what's up with all this money we spend to be hired again for 14.00 per hour after working for 25.00 per hour..

I know that sucks! I currently work for a bank and make 16.00 an hour and i really dont want to spend over 2,ooo for a certificate to make 14.ooph also getting hired is not gauranteed without experience. Thats why I am strongly considering the 900.00 course. I am just waiting for someone to second that idea I guess. lol

39 months ago

I know that sucks! I currently work for a bank and make 16.00 an hour and i really dont want to spend over 2,ooo for a certificate to make 14.ooph also getting hired is not gauranteed without experience. Thats why I am strongly considering the 900.00 course. I am just waiting for someone to second that idea I guess. lol

39 months ago

carina in Cranston, Rhode Island said: I know that sucks! I currently work for a bank and make 16.00 an hour and i really dont want to spend over 2,ooo for a certificate to make 14.ooph also getting hired is not gauranteed without experience. Thats why I am strongly considering the 900.00 course. I am just waiting for someone to second that idea I guess. lol

I would be cautious of that program only because, now that I think about it, if it doesn't include clinicals, that means that you cannot become nationally certified, which means, you might only get a program certificate. A certificate from an agency recognized by the National Phleb association such as National HealthCareer Association, holds alot of water. Just my 2 cents!

sue in Barrington, Rhode Island

39 months ago

Maureen Campbell in Warwick, Rhode Island said: I would be cautious of that program only because, now that I think about it, if it doesn't include clinicals, that means that you cannot become nationally certified, which means, you might only get a program certificate. A certificate from an agency recognized by the National Phleb association such as National HealthCareer Association, holds alot of water. Just my 2 cents!

I've been reading a lot about everyones opinion on all these certifications etc. but in todays market, what is most looked at, the college name from where the eduction comes from, versing the same course delivered from the new organizations that do not waste time with all the pre-courses that have nothing to do with the initial trade. in other words if you go to CCRI or URI and take the same course as medical assistant, versing going to the health training courses, will you be better offered a job with a better salary coming from a college.

39 months ago

JOHANNA in Dominican Republic said: but www.911programs.com is online program?

911Programs is not an online program

sue in Barrington, Rhode Island

39 months ago

no one is stating anything about an on line program. are you reading the paragraph well. this is making a decision to write a check for a course to get credentials from a non college credit course versing spending a little more money and attending a credential college accepting to society and better educational employment for first acceptance for placement.

maureen in Wakefield, Rhode Island

39 months ago

sue in Barrington, Rhode Island said: no one is stating anything about an on line program. are you reading the paragraph well. this is making a decision to write a check for a course to get credentials from a non college credit course versing spending a little more money and attending a credential college accepting to society and better educational employment for first acceptance for placement.

Hi Sue,
Not sure if this response was to me, but I was responding to Johanna who asked if it was an online program. They may also have an online version, I do not know...but the class my friend took was in the classroom and I signed up for September.

killerkiwi420 in Fairhaven, Massachusetts

39 months ago

I am currently a phlebo in KY (originally from MA) and moving to RI.. anyone know what the requirements are? I have a Phlebotomist Certificate from Massasoit Community College and I have a national certification through ASCP. Is the national certification required? Or do you just need to the certificate from an accredited school?

Thanks for your help!

Kim

35 months ago

I took my phlebotomy program with 911Programs and myself and 3 others were hired by our clinical sites right out of school. The sites were impressed by our skills. My friend took the same program and graduated in June..she had harder time finding a job, but a couple weeks ago, 911Programs office (Valerie I think) called her with a lead and set her up with interview. Still waiting to see how she made out. If college credits are important to you, you should probably take it at a college, however You do not need to attend a college to get a job in phlebotomy. There are good health career training courses out there. Just be careful what training program you pick!!

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.