Police Phlebotomist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 263)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Vickie in Los Angeles, California

86 months ago

Does anyone know how to go about getting a job as a police phlebotomist. I am looking in to as many different job options as possible... Where can I go find work as a phlebotomist in southern California. Any info would help greatly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (190) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Doc Holiday . . . in Glendale, California

85 months ago

Be aware that there is a gray line in the area of police phlebotomy. You're going to be put into situations where the "suspect" is refusing to have blood drawn and the police will force the issue. If you participate in this you are in violation of your intial certificate and your California phlebotomy license which says you can't draw blood against someone's will.

When phlebotomists weren't licensed in California this wasn't an issue but it is now. Besides you wouldn't really be a "police" phlebotomist, you'd be a "jail" phlebotomist . . .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

sassygirl in Jeromesville, Ohio

85 months ago

I have to agree with Doc Holiday on every account. I've been a phlebotmist for 5 years and you wouldn't believe some of the people you have "acting crazy" in Doctors office setting or just inpatient setting. Some people in the hospital come in for surgeries and are alcoholics and can get pretty violent in there.Now if they went in there on their own free will how will someone who isn't there for medical care react? Don't get yourself involved in a lawsuit it's just not worth it. Try and get a job at a local hospital, you will gain great experience there and really perfect your skills. Hope this helps you out, I'm not trying to talk you out of your dream job just giving you something to think about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chandra in Chicago, Illinois

83 months ago

Tomika Brown in Los Angeles, California said: In need of a licensed phlebotomist flexible hours great pay mobile collections. will train how to do cases must liability insurance. email me today calhealthgroup@sbcglobal.net

Hi, do you know of any jobs in Illinois. I am looking for a second job. I already work as a phlebotomist but I need a second income. chandra5518@comcast.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tomika Brown in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

No I don't at this time but I will let you know If I find out thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sheila in Omaha

83 months ago

I just finished a course and I must say that I have lost all interest in this field. Our Instructor had a new "Horror Story" for us each night. All about how so & so got sued for causing a bruise or how so & so got the snot knocked out of them trying to do a simple draw. Besides all that, after having checked out a job site here in Omaha, I find I can make just as much cleaning the hospital, get the same perks and not have to worry about a lawsuit. Hope Tokmika has better luck than I did. GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Cecil Glenn in Los Angeles, California

82 months ago

Tomika Brown in Los Angeles, California said: In need of a licensed phlebotomist flexible hours great pay mobile collections. will train how to do cases must liability insurance. email me today calhealthgroup@sbcglobal.net

Miss Brown, I am a state licensed Phlebotomist and am looking for a part time Phlebotomist job. Let me know when I can start. Do you have the equipment?
Skip

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Akron, Ohio

82 months ago

I started in this field in 1977. I started as a staff phlebotomist and worked my way up to supervisor. I've had a good career as a phlebotomist. I worked for a county hospital. I can count on one hand the bad experiences I've had. And now after 30 years I get to retire in 5 days. I loved my time as a phlebotomist and couldn't find anything bad to say about the field. Maybe the patients in the mid-west are easier to work with. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Miner in West Covina, California

81 months ago

Hello Everyone,
Does anybody know how long it will take to get the CA License. I turned in my paper work to CLS in December 07. I need to work ASAP!!! Can anyone help me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cb in Sacramento, California

81 months ago

Miner in West Covina, California said: Hello Everyone,
Does anybody know how long it will take to get the CA License. I turned in my paper work to CLS in December 07. I need to work ASAP!!! Can anyone help me.

You can contact the Dept. of Health to get an est. turn around on issuing a license. When I finished my program in June 05 it was taking the Dept. of Health 12 mos. to issue. They we're short staffed and everyone who was an existing phlebotomist were trying to get their license before the April 06 deadline. Hopefully their caught up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Thanks CB!! -- so how's your career in phleb -- i've been reading some forums and some are scarry.

cb in Sacramento, California

81 months ago

Miner in West Covina, California said: Thanks CB!! -- so how's your career in phleb -- i've been reading some forums and some are scarry.

Since it was taking so long to get a license I took a job doing escrow....money was good so I never followed through with it. Now the real estate market is crashing and I lost my job along with thousands of other people. I do stay in contact with several people who work in the field and they pretty much have no complaints other than it can kind of get boring doing the same thing over and over again. No problems with patients....they work at Kaiser in the San Jose area. Hope this helps....hang in there! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Salem, Ohio

81 months ago

Mark in Akron, Ohio said: I started in this field in 1977. I started as a staff phlebotomist and worked my way up to supervisor. I've had a good career as a phlebotomist. I worked for a county hospital. I can count on one hand the bad experiences I've had. And now after 30 years I get to retire in 5 days. I loved my time as a phlebotomist and couldn't find anything bad to say about the field. Maybe the patients in the mid-west are easier to work with. Good luck

Do you know of any places that pay good around my area or even in Akron? I used to draw blood in a doctors office when I first graduated from high school. Then I had five children and have not worked in this field for over 13 years. I just finished a course and passed my National Certification Exam in December. I would like to find a job in a hospital where I could work in the evenings or midnight shift. Thanks for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dreia in Sacramento, California

81 months ago

But how the heck do you get your first job as a phlebotomist? My only experience is with my fifty sticks from my externship. Almost every job I've seen, wants 250+ sticks.

I am in Sacramento. I am considering re-doing the program at another school, since I don't even have my state license yet and the school kind of stopped holding my hand at that point. I found the whole process very bewildering.

Steph in Salem, Oregon

81 months ago

Dreia in Sacramento, California said: But how the heck do you get your first job as a phlebotomist? My only experience is with my fifty sticks from my externship. Almost every job I've seen, wants 250+ sticks.

I am in Sacramento. I am considering re-doing the program at another school, since I don't even have my state license yet and the school kind of stopped holding my hand at that point. I found the whole process very bewildering.

I am finding the same thing in Salem, OR. Most of the job listings up here want 1 to 2 years experience. How the heck do you get started?

81 months ago

Some of my friends suggested to volunteer in hospitals if you guys don't have any relatives or friends to hook you to get in the door. This way, the people you are going to work with - will know you and hopefully this could lead to a possible results.

brenda

81 months ago

i started at the red cross. They hire new phlebotomists

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Steph in Salem, Oregon

81 months ago

Thanks, Brenda and Miner! I'll give both those a shot.

Hey, I went to Workman Elementary in West Covina for Kindergarten; Small World!!
:o)

Linda Kate

81 months ago

Michelle in Salem, Ohio said: Do you know of any places that pay good around my area or even in Akron? I used to draw blood in a doctors office when I first graduated from high school. Then I had five children and have not worked in this field for over 13 years. I just finished a course and passed my National Certification Exam in December. I would like to find a job in a hospital where I could work in the evenings or midnight shift. Thanks for your time.

Michelle,
I am from the Canton area and looking for a course to take in Phlebotomy. Can't seem to locate one. Any ideas who might be offering it sometime soon? Would be willing to travel if necessary. Thanks, Linda Kate

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

80 months ago

Guide

The program at Lorain County Community College in Elyria will begin in August but there is a waiting list. Try to sign up as soon as possible.
There is a program at Joint Vocational School in Oberlin. I think they begin in September but since they just had a class end,maybe another one will start sooner.

I would think Cuyahoga Community College offers this course but I never looked into it.

When phlebotomy is taught right,it is usually stretched out over several months,so most classes begin in the fall semester.

T.Nettles in Toledo, Ohio

80 months ago

Miner in West Covina, California said: Hello Everyone,

i have not idea but i believe it can take up to 6 weeks and by the way, how is there in west covina i am looking to move out that way in a few month please give me the scoop i really need some insight canujuswate@aol.com

Michelle in Salem, Ohio

80 months ago

Hi. I just finished the course I took in December. The class was from September 4th until December 11th. Two nights a week from 6:00 till 9:00. It cost $1,300.00. You will be nationally certified when you finish. I had to travel an hour to the place. It is called Mahoning County Career and Technical Center, it is located in Canfield Ohio. Which is surrounded by Boardman, Youngstown, also an hour from Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

Sincerely,
Michelle

James in Lorain, Ohio

80 months ago

I would be interested to see what the hiring rate is for these LCCC graduating students. Is that posted anywhere?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

80 months ago

Guide

No,it isn't but I would like to know also what is the job placement rate for students of this community college's phlebotomy program. This is a program that is headed by a person who is or was a phlebotomy program ADVISER for NACCLS,which is a clinical standards agency. The college itself,while bragging all the time in their advertisements about their "careers" success,has no such program where they can help with placing you in a phlebotomy position. You are on your own with that and it can be very difficult in Lorain County.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pamela in Sacramento, California

80 months ago

I am looking to get into the field. I am wondering where is a good school that is relatively quick that I can get into. Does anyone know about how much it should cost and about how long it should take? Thanks for any help or info.

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

80 months ago

Guide

Can I ask you what is your idea of "quick"? I don't think your state allows any quick training. There is a guideline of how many hours of training is required. Let me look up the website that is on.
Have you checked out the local community colleges? Even if their program has a waiting list,they might be able to tell you other schools to try.

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

80 months ago

Guide

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

80 months ago

Guide

Ok,that didn't work cause the http:// didn't show up in front. Try looking up the California Dept. of Health website for answers. The page I tried to post has a list of approved schools on their FAQ.

Ricci in Baldwin Park, California

79 months ago

Looking for work in San Gabriel valley (LA County) California.
I have been drawing blood since 1984, so I am very very experienced.
I currently work as a mobile phlebotomist/EKG tech for insurance agents.

Sabrina

79 months ago

Hi Ricci, i wanted to know if i could have your screenname. So that we can exchange info about paramedic exams. Thanks

Marlene in Weirton, West Virginia

79 months ago

Ricci in Baldwin Park, California said: Looking for work in San Gabriel valley (LA County) California.
I have been drawing blood since 1984, so I am very very experienced.
I currently work as a mobile phlebotomist/EKG tech for insurance agents.

Ricci,

Are you interested in completing wellness clinics? If so please email me at kaybee158@hotmail.com

miller in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

Doc Holiday . . . in Glendale, California said: Be aware that there is a gray line in the area of police phlebotomy. You're going to be put into situations where the "suspect" is refusing to have blood drawn and the police will force the issue. If you participate in this you are in violation of your intial certificate and your California phlebotomy license which says you can't draw blood against someone's will.

When phlebotomists weren't licensed in California this wasn't an issue but it is now. Besides you wouldn't really be a "police" phlebotomist, you'd be a "jail" phlebotomist . . .

I currentyly work for a agency that all they do is draw blood on DUI's and suspects of drugs and however there are times when I have to do a force blood draw...it is not in violation of my license due to the fact that it is not only company policy but the state of california. the rule is if it is law enforcement you don't have a right to refuse a blood draw in the state of california because it is involving collecting evidence. now if you are working in the hostpital that is another story your not collecting evidence to proscuting the person so they do have a right to refuse it...hope that this clairfyes things

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angela Marie in Parker, Colorado

78 months ago

Miller will you please contact me by email soblessed316@aol.com. I need to ask you a question. God Bless

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Janelle in Temecula, California

78 months ago

miller in Los Angeles, California said: I currentyly work for a agency that all they do is draw blood on DUI's and suspects of drugs and however there are times when I have to do a force blood draw...it is not in violation of my license due to the fact that it is not only company policy but the state of california. the rule is if it is law enforcement you don't have a right to refuse a blood draw in the state of california because it is involving collecting evidence. now if you are working in the hostpital that is another story your not collecting evidence to proscuting the person so they do have a right to refuse it...hope that this clairfyes things

I'm looking for a job in Forensic Phlebotomy. Who would I contact to enquire about employment in Forensic Phlebotomy in RIVERSIDE COUNTY. Any information you could give me to point me in the right direction would be very helpful and much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

please contact me at janelleroseb@gmail.com regarding any information involving forensic phlebotomy.

jax81 in azusa, California

78 months ago

miller in Los Angeles, California said: I currentyly work for a agency that all they do is draw blood on DUI's and suspects of drugs and however there are times when I have to do a force blood draw...it is not in violation of my license due to the fact that it is not only company policy but the state of california. the rule is if it is law enforcement you don't have a right to refuse a blood draw in the state of california because it is involving collecting evidence. now if you are working in the hostpital that is another story your not collecting evidence to proscuting the person so they do have a right to refuse it...hope that this clairfyes things

miller.. can u please email me.. i have a couple of questions for you.. thak you,, jnoller81@sbcglobal.net

78 months ago

Hi Miller,
I would like to get the information on the agency that you are working for who assigned you doing blood dray on DUI's etc. If it's not too much of a hassle, kindly e-mail me at mhine71@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Miner

Brook in West Mansfield, Ohio

77 months ago

Linda Kate said: Michelle,
I am from the Canton area and looking for a course to take in Phlebotomy. Can't seem to locate one. Any ideas who might be offering it sometime soon? Would be willing to travel if necessary. Thanks, Linda Kate

they have one at the Buckeye Career Center In New Philly,Ohio and it is for 10 weeks 2 nights a week and I love the teacher he is awesome!!! I have 1 week left

brenda

77 months ago

jax81 in azusa, California said: miller.. can u please email me.. i have a couple of questions for you.. thak you,, jnoller81@sbcglobal.net

can u send me email how to get hired to draw dui blood draws keke2jordy@aol.com

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

77 months ago

Guide

There's a guy who came on another thread,the one for paramedical examiners,and he posted over 20 times a link to his company that does drug and alcohol testing. Only thing is,the link does not go to any website but just a page with an application. I don't know if anybody has heard back anything but he did post a phone number so I suggest you find the thread and call the number.

Tiffany in New Philadelphia, Ohio

77 months ago

Brook in West Mansfield, Ohio said: they have one at the Buckeye Career Center In New Philly,Ohio and it is for 10 weeks 2 nights a week and I love the teacher he is awesome!!! I have 1 week left

Have you heard when the next classes are going to be held? Also, what else can you tell me about the program? Do the teachers help with finding a job? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Crystal Lake, Illinois

77 months ago

Can anyone give me some info... I was a Phlebotomist for 2 years and switched carrers in 1998. So yes it has been 10 years since I have worked as one. I just completed a phlebotomy course but am on the waiting list to do my 100 sticks. Does anyone know if I can just get a recertification or am I out of luck and have to wait? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Ricci in West Covina, California

77 months ago

Are you able to get documentation of your past experience, or is someone (supervisor) willing to verify your past work?

Marlene in Weirton, West Virginia

77 months ago

I would think that your previous employer would verify your past work experience via phone and generally will give you some form of verification upon request.

Angela in Crystal Lake, Illinois

77 months ago

I do have verification but I have not been current in 10 years. For phlebotomy every 2 years you need continuing education plus you need to demonstrate that you have not lost the skill to perform. I can't find anything out on the ASCP website and was just wondering if there was an different way then waiting until Aug. to get in the class and waste another 4 months of school. My instructor was going to hire me until he realized I have been out of the field for 10 years. Thanks for trying to help.

Norma Ventura in Whittier, California

77 months ago

I just found this sight looking foward for some guidence and job search

Norma Ventura in Whittier, California

77 months ago

miller could you e mail me im kinda stuck would like so learn more about the agency you work for

Susie in Pomona, California

77 months ago

Miner in West Covina, California said: Hi Miller,
I would like to get the information on the agency that you are working for who assigned you doing blood dray on DUI's etc. If it's not too much of a hassle, kindly e-mail me at mhine71@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Miner

Hello there.
I am the supervisor for a company that does blood draws in th San Gabriel Valley. We draw at West Covina PD, Covina, Glendora, Azusa, El Monte, and Baldwin Park PD. We are looking into expanding by August through out LA. If you are interested in getting information email me at Ladygiggles909@aol.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

jax81 in azusa, California said: miller.. can u please email me.. i have a couple of questions for you.. thak you,, jnoller81@sbcglobal.net

Could I have the name of the company you are employed for. Please email to ladygiggles909@aol.com

Kim Neu in Chino Hills, California

76 months ago

I recently completed a phlebotomy program through Chaffey college with training at Pomona Valley Medical Center Hospital in March. I completed over 100 draws ranging from newborns to geriatrics so if anyone know ANY PLACE that is hiring phlebotomist let me know please i would very much appreciate it! kmn325@msn.com Thank you!!!

75 months ago

Norma Ventura in Whittier, California said: miller could you e mail me im kinda stuck would like so learn more about the agency you work for

Hello there.
I am the supervisor for a company that does blood draws in th San Gabriel Valley. We draw at West Covina PD, Covina, Glendora, Azusa, El Monte, and Baldwin Park PD. We are looking into expanding by August through out LA. If you are interested in getting information email me at Ladygiggles909@aol.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.