These Phlebotomy Schools are all a SCAM!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (41)

diggit in Perris, California

56 months ago

I am more mad at myself for not doing more research before paying all that money for my license. I went to the school on Bradley Street, as well. I finished first with great grades and can't even get a response for all the resumes out there. I truly, believe each school should show statistics for hiring and don't bother going to them or paying the money unless, they assist in job placement. That'll put most of them out of business and the scam is over! I can't even volunteer anywhere for the experience even when you offer to cover yourself with your own malpractice insurance. Our state needs to review the practices of this school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (146) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

nana in Lakewood, California

42 months ago

Dede 213 in San Leandro, California said: I currently work for Kaiser I'm on call but the hours at my site are pretty consistent for the most part but I'm happy. If your think your going to be hired in a full time position coming on at any major hospital then I wouldnt suggest this field for you. You have to build up seniority and apply for full time. Major hospitals don't even open those positions to the public. Starting pay is 24 hourly.

Could you tell me the name of the school you attended???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (140) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

affy in Alipur, India

42 months ago

Hello friends, i need your help. i am living in Delhi,India.I am MS in Clinical Microbiolgy..and in my Bachelor degree i studied MLT in India..i a have 2 years full time experience as Phelebotmy technician in a hospital path lab.in India only DMLT...BMLT .Ms MLT are are authorize to draw blood. we dont have spelised phlebotomy course in India here.during my MLT course we are taught phlebotomy and we also get practical experience...so my question is do i need to do any Phlebotomy course in us for getting a job their..or even without course i am eligible to work as phlebotomy technician in USA.Please help me..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

SuzyQ55 in Millersville, Maryland

42 months ago

Does anyone know anything about Baltimore Allied Health Training Center in Catonsville, MD. I am a CMA trying to get hands on phlebotomy experience and they supposedly have a one month training that qualifies you to take the national exam. It is around $450-500 I believe. You can also pay an optional $150 for a 1 wk internship. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

unhappy in Liverpool, United Kingdom

38 months ago

Dee in Los Angeles, California said: How much you had to dish out to go to this Kaiser school ?

The course I attended was of two days duration, & cost nearly £300. The only practical experience was on dummies during those two days. If I agreed to attend a practical session, I believe the cost was actually more than the course itself, & was only for a day. In my opinion, this is nowhere near enough practical experience! I have applied for a few Phlebotomy positions, but nearly all job advertisements require previous experience. I am unable to apply through the NHS, as I am not an EU subject (British or European subject), although I do have a work permit. Non EU subjects won't even be considered for any positions in the NHS, unless they are unable to find an EU subject qualified for the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

fredhealth in Houston, Texas

38 months ago

jhonyson04 in Dallas, Texas said: There are lots of students select phlebotomy career and take admission in phlebotomy schools so that they get best training that enhances their skills and knowledge. There are lots of schools that offer best phlebotomy courses.
www.phlebotomytrainings.net/

In urban Texas hospitals, you can receive paid / discounted, in-house phlebotomy traing. You just get your texas CNA and apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

cathymarkuson@*****.*** in Corona, California

38 months ago

Dede 213 in Richmond, California said: Sounds like many people in this forum don't have the required experience needed for a phlebotomy job. Spend more time researching into phlebotomy programs before handing over your money. A program with a weeklong externship is nowhere near long enough. I attended a Kaiser school and the program lasted from August to November. Which included a month long 40 hr a week externship at a Kaiser hospital . Best decision I ever made and it was cheaper than other programs. Allot of schools out there are a complete rip off and leave students with no experience and a horrible drawing technique. Most major hospitals write off students from certain schools just because the programs are too fast. Best advice does a little homework before writing a check.

Do you have to already b employed by Kaiser for this training program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

True in Monroe, Louisiana

33 months ago

There is no phlebotomy license! Only a certification!
And any person in their right mind knows to not go to a school that is not accredited. if you do, then that is simply your mistake and you are to blame!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Undergroundjule in Los Angeles, California

33 months ago

I have to get my phlebotomy as part of the MLT program. I am doing it at LBCC in Long Beach. They were on this list of accredited schools on the CA website. Each state should have one.

www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/lfs/Documents/P-PhlebTrSchApprd-County.pdf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Josie in Los Angeles, California

32 months ago

How's that going for you? How's the instructors and classes are they well explained and hands on?!:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Josie in Los Angeles, California said: How's that going for you? How's the instructors and classes are they well explained and hands on?!:)

It is great actually. They are awesome!! The teachers are really awesome. They train you to be perfectionist and think like professionals. They motivate you with their own life experiences. I will be doing the clinical part in April. It is from 4 or 5am until 9 or 10am for a two week period.

I had to take a class as part of the previous semester in order to gain some priority to register. The classes (one during the day and one at night, usually on Wednesday)is open to healthcare majors so its fairly in demand.

If you take the class it's very important you pass with an 85% or above. It is pass or no pass, not graded!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

What do you mean by "had to take a class as part of the previous semester in order to gain some priority to register?" The classes are taken in the day AND night, or is there an option of only taking it in the day? And is the clinic in the school or do they assign the students to a particular clinic?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Undergroundjule in Los Angeles, California said: It is great actually. They are awesome!! The teachers are really awesome. They train you to be perfectionist and think like professionals. They motivate you with their own life experiences. I will be doing the clinical part in April. It is from 4 or 5am until 9 or 10am for a two week period.

I had to take a class as part of the previous semester in order to gain some priority to register. The classes (one during the day and one at night, usually on Wednesday)is open to healthcare majors so its fairly in demand.

If you take the class it's very important you pass with an 85% or above. It is pa
ss or no pass, not graded!

What do you mean by "had to take a class as part of the previous semester in order to gain some priority to register?" The classes are taken in the day AND night, or is there an option of only taking it in the day? And is the clinic in the school or do they assign the students to a particular clinic?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

It's just that coming in as a new student it seemed that I was getting the last of the registration appointments. I just feel like it wasn't until I took a class that I was able to get a decent appointment time in the next semester-- to be able to register early enough that I didn't have to wait list. Sorry for the confusion!

Also, they only offer two classes per semester. One is in the day and other is at night. They are on the same day of the week. The clinical sites are not on campus, they are at local facilities.

JRiesgo@*****.*** in El Monte, California

31 months ago

Yes!!!! please do your research before entering any field especially if you are coming out of pocket, I am a Career Services Advisor for a school that provides Phlebotomy and I will be the first to tell you that it is very competitive out there, that does not mean that it is futile but you have to be realistic as far as your path in this field. The path to any lab and or Hospital takes you through field work that will get you your experience that will qualify you for Lab positions in the future. You have to realize that it is Contractual work and YES it starts off Part Time. Do not be deceived inform yourself!!!! if you would like more information please email me @ jriesgo@regancareer.com we are located in El Monte

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JRiesgo@*****.*** in El Monte, California

31 months ago

Lilbleu32 in Alhambra, California said: I am looking into phlebotomy schools and wondering if their is anyone out thier near me that has any good information for me? It says I'm in Alhambra but I'm in temple city so I live close to Alhambra. But I'm looking for a really good school if I'm going to pay a lot and that they r goig to help me find a job. So anyone please help!! Thank you!!!

Look at Regan Career Institute it is located in El Monte Ca.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

JRiesgo@Regancareer.com in El Monte, California said: Look at Regan Career Institute it is located in El Monte Ca.

Yes, I agree to everyone posting about there experiences. This is a growing field so you can never say there are no jobs out there. There are no jobs where you are looking. Sometimes being the field you want may mean having to work in a new state or city. I noticed in CA there are not a lot of jobs in LA that are willing to take newbies, but there are lots of jobs further out.

Also, networking and studying is very important. Being the best you that you can be...and better. surprise yourself. Get attention. Good attention. Be that go to person and a yes man, or woman. That is the best way to get ahead and stay ahead. Good luck everyone!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Minh in Pleasant Hill, California

30 months ago

Does anyone take phlebotomy at Health Career College in Pleasant Hill, CA? The program has 10 weeks of didactic portion and 40 hours externship. It seems to be adequate for me to be prepared.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Damsel in Germantown, Tennessee

29 months ago

please are there accredited onlibe phlebotomy schools/program? please can u suggest any? thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Damsel in Germantown, Tennessee

29 months ago

Damsel in Germantown, Tennessee said: please are there accredited online phlebotomy schools/program? please can u suggest any? thanks in advance

online i mean, thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tiffany in Riverside, California

27 months ago

do you have the phone number for Kaiser because I want to take the course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

lakeytamarshall in Cleveland, Ohio

27 months ago

where are the jobs...how can you get a job if they want experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

bernie in Melbourne, Australia

24 months ago

I can sympathize with the lady from Brisbane regarding Sister Lyn Leahy from Hawthorn East Melbourne. But your fortunate you did'nt do the course. Supposed to be friendly environment, nothing like it. Four hour course for $470. Its a complete waste of money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Venus Puncture in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

23 months ago

I recently got my NRCPT, I too am looking for work as a phlebotomist, I would really like to work as one or even volunteer to practice live sticks, filled in numerous applications, Blood Donor centers, hospitals all the well known Labs, no response. Any ideas anybody?

bmarschall@*****.*** in Tanunda, Australia

18 months ago

I have tried to negotiate and there is nil refund, after a very traumatic time.

Do it properly - not in the back of a Hotel in Adelaide

470.00 down the drain. No accountability, and a foundation at that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lh in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

15 months ago

SuzyQ55 in Millersville, Maryland said: Does anyone know anything about Baltimore Allied Health Training Center in Catonsville, MD. I am a CMA trying to get hands on phlebotomy experience and they supposedly have a one month training that qualifies you to take the national exam. It is around $450-500 I believe. You can also pay an optional $150 for a 1 wk internship . Any info would be greatly appreciated!

There is a website www.medical2.com. Try them there class allow you to get hands on experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

lh in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

15 months ago

LaKeyta Marshall in Cleveland, Ohio said: where are the jobs...how can you get a job if they want experience?

I am unsure of the requirements in your area but in Mississippi they volunteer with a certification showing that they have taken a Phlebotomy course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lauren matthew in Lilburn, Georgia

15 months ago

affy in Alipur, India said: Hello friends, i need your help. i am living in Delhi,India.I am MS in Clinical Microbiolgy..and in my Bachelor degree i studied MLT in India..i a have 2 years full time experience as Phelebotmy technician in a hospital path lab .in India only DMLT...BMLT .Ms MLT are are authorize to draw blood. we dont have spelised phlebotomy course in India here.during my MLT course we are taught phlebotomy and we also get practical experience...so my question is do i need to do any Phlebotomy course in us for getting a job their..or even without course i am eligible to work as phlebotomy technician in USA.Please help me..

No you can't go to school to become a phlebotomy tech because you'll be an international student... people here can't find a job what makes you think they'll hire internationals? It's really competitive

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jessica flores in Fontana, California

14 months ago

cathymarkuson@sbcglobal.net in Corona, California said: Do you have to already b employed by Kaiser for this training program?

What school did you go to?

anonymous in Brea, California

13 months ago

If you read the description of the courses, the ones that are 1-3 days are not meant for phlebotomists. They are meant for those who are using them as part of another type of job, such as clinical research professionals, nurses, or medical assistants. In most of those cases, they already have career help from the other course they are taking

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Panna in La Mesa, California

11 months ago

Did you hear sdmedicalcollege phlebotomists program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mz. HarleyHoney in Citrus Heights, California

9 months ago

cathymarkuson@sbcglobal.net in Corona, California said: Do you have to already b employed by Kaiser for this training program?

DO I have to already be working for Kaiser or will they offer that to a new hire CNA?

melissahein in Phoenix, Arizona

7 months ago

I am going to school to be a Clinical Research Coordinator and need to learn how to just draw blood. Does anyone know where I just do that here in Phoenix.

Rebecca in Sydney, Australia

6 months ago

I am moving to Phoenix and would be interested to know as well where to get quick phleb training. Also, where can you go to school to be a CRC?

Anonymous in Pico Rivera, California

4 months ago

I went to a school in Colton, CA. I researched the company first. The owner has an impressive history.
Parametic Fire Fighter and Physician Assistant. The school is called Tri Med Training Institute.
Here's their Website for anyone interested www.tmti-edu.com/. For me, they worked out a payment plan so I didn't have to
come out of pocket, and they are an approved school by the state. Hope this helps my fellow Phlebotomists!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brivera in Fayetteville, North Carolina

4 months ago

cathymarkuson@*****.*** in Corona, California said: Do you have to already b employed by Kaiser for this training program?

You traveled all the way to Richmond for the Kaiser program? Do you know if they have any other Kaiser programs in California in the IE area?

ravenl in Chicago, Illinois

3 months ago

I just got my phlebotomist certification with ekg through a one day 8 hour class. They are accredited by the BBB, but I'm still a little skeptical and I'm thinking I might have just thrown $450 down the drain. Has anyone ever heard of Medical2 National Certification Agency? Have you been able to get a job after taking the class?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Drea in Orland Park, Illinois

2 months ago

ravenl in Chicago, Illinois said: I just got my phlebotomist certification with ekg through a one day 8 hour class. They are accredited by the BBB, but I'm still a little skeptical and I'm thinking I might have just thrown $450 down the drain. Has anyone ever heard of Medical2 National Certification Agency? Have you been able to get a job after taking the class?

Hello Raven,

I too spent $450 for Phlebotomy w EKG. In fact, I am going on July 23. I hope I did not waste my money either. They are accrediteed by the BBB and they have an A+ rating. I figure I would just try it and hope for the best. The reason I say this is because it is only $450. Truth be told other people have wasted 5k, 10k, 15k on a Phlebotomy course which makes no sense to me. My mom went to school for a 3 day class at $400 in 1999. The company she went through is no longer in existence. However, I found this school for an 8 hr class. She has had great success in the field and currently make $24 an hour IN FLORIDA. Prior to that she worked for Quest. So I think we should be okay.

Gracie in Little Falls, New Jersey

2 months ago

Am relocating to Connecticut Naugatuck and would like to know where I can go for phlebotomy school,anyone with an idea please,

Scammed in Washington, District of Columbia

18 days ago

Brown career institutional and training are frauds! They are taking you for your money. $950 for half effort to train you for phlebotomy and patient care tech. Will not refund and they lie saying 1700 is available to pay towards the class. Do not waste your money. They can't even give you the state exam for phlembotomy. You have to pay for your own books, certificates are an additional cost outside the 950. You get a few hours In basement of a complex for the money !!! Please don't be another victim

Disappointed in Greenwood, Indiana

15 days ago

Indiana School of Phlebotomy (ISP) which also has locations in Ohio and St. Louis is highly unprofessional and fraudulent. I encourage anyone considering any of their locations or courses to, do your research. You won't find any negative reviews on their facebook as they remove those. They are dishonest about the hours of training, they get your non-refundable deposit by telling you any thing and everything they think you want to hear and then they tell you that you will likely drive an hour or more for an externship among other things. They publicize they have multiple locations for externship, in my experience and having followed up with some of these locations they either never have or will not again take students from this place.
The instructor while nice was often very inappropriate speaking of things not related to the course. They provide a text and then the instructor says it is outdated and much of the information is incorrect. The instructor who; administers the "national" level exam that the school recommends stated many times he did not know what was on the exam.
The class began late and ended early at nearly every meeting and then a long break is given in the middle of every class.
In order to sit for the exam they state you are to do 40 hours of class, this certainly did not take place although the class is scheduled to be 48 hours.
I pursued and received a refund by going through the state. I had attempted to deal with the owner of the school who was very unprofessional. They advertise job placement and pass rates that certainly need to be investigated by the state of Indiana. This course was a tremendous waste of time and as I said before do your research, find out who accredits the school or program or if they have no accreditation.
If you look at their social media, I encourage you to private message some of those who have reviewed the school, many told me they no longer feel the same as they could not get a job or pass the national exam.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.