The best part is...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 69)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

What do you enjoy most about phlebotomist work? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

jan in Flushing, NY

102 months ago

getting it the first time!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Costa Mesa, CA

101 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about phlebotomist work? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?
What keeps you at your job?
I work for Community Blood Center as a Phlebotomist, and being a part of the process in saving lives is very rewarding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Costa Mesa, CA

101 months ago

jan said: getting it the first time!!!!!!!!!!!
You either have the technique or you don't, and if you have patients getting it the first time isn't the problem, we all have good and bad days, just like any other job. In my job the worst thing about the job is donors passing out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

megan in Jackson, Ohio

92 months ago

i have a question -
i've been working in a medical office as a receptionist for about a month now and maybe a week ago they started me on drawing blood of the patients. i have been doing so every once in a while, maybe once a day that i work (3x a week). i haven't said anything to them but i am wondering - don't you have to have a license to do this kind of stuff? i don't have anything, this is my first "medical" type job..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

LC in Chillicothe, Illinois

92 months ago

Guide

Are you saying they are having you do this without any training? What is their excuse for not hiring someone who is an actual phlebotomist? No,you don't need a license to do it or even certification in this state but your superiors can get into a lot of trouble if something is done wrong,and anything can GO wrong. Whoever is having you do this is really stupid. There are too many well trained phlebotomists looking for work and this kind of foolishness has got to stop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

D in Dayton, Ohio

92 months ago

I graduated 3 months ago and I havent found a phlebotomist job yet. Its very frustrating because I finally found something that I like. Everybody wants you to have at least 6 months to 2 years experience. How do they expect us to have experience if employers arent willing to give us a chance. Am I alone? Does anyone have any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (79) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

donna in Reno, Nevada

92 months ago

megan in Jackson, Ohio said: i have a question -
i've been working in a medical office as a receptionist for about a month now and maybe a week ago they started me on drawing blood of the patients. i have been doing so every once in a while, maybe once a day that i work (3x a week). i haven't said anything to them but i am wondering - don't you have to have a license to do this kind of stuff? i don't have anything, this is my first "medical" type job..

Your question does not shock me. When I was in school I had fellow students lie and make up draws just to get the credit for the training. As a responsible emploee you have the right to tell your boss you have had no formal training in Phlebotomy or medical assisting. For some reason I REALLY believe your boss is under the impression you have had some training in this field. You could be sued for doing procedures you were not trained in/or certified or licenced in. It is not against the law per say but as a Phlebotomist certified or licenced you work under the doctors licence at work. Please be responsible and stop doing any phlebotomy work until you are FINISHED in a formal training situation in an accredited school for Phlebotomy. Good luck and please " Just say NO "
I am so concerned and am proud of you that you took the time to find a message board on Phlebotomy. Please email me at Meddibrat@aol.com and i will call you to explain more because you are a responsible emloyee to try and find some answers/////more than some would do thanks donna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

92 months ago

Guide

Thank YOU Donna. But I don't believe that the boss is really thinking or caring about any prior training. Too many people think that drawing blood is easy and that anyone can do it so it's no big deal. Many who have had "training" in it (like medical assistants) still have no idea what they are doing because of all that is left out in many MA programs. The number one reason for lawsuits against blood drawers is permanent nerve damage,which is an easy thing to inflict if you do not know all there is to know in phlebotomy. If you do not know what and where the basilic vein is,then you should not be drawing blood.

I am glad she spoke up though,on here,and she needs to speak up at this job. This is one of the many reasons why so many PBT's can't find work-some sites would rather train their own workers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

orlando reyes in San Juan, Puerto Rico

89 months ago

im a phlebotomist and ekg tech, i would like to relocate to new york but i need to get conected with the right persons, please can somebody give that chance.787-362-7465

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

84 months ago

Guide

The number one reason for phlebotomy related lawsuits is nerve damage,and sometimes the problems can last forever. You need to see a lawyer if it is affecting your job,and if the so called phlebotomist did not remove the needle once you told her it was hurting like it was.
Just out of curiosity,where at did she stick the needle? Your inner arm area (close to your body)? There is a vein there that should always be avoided since it is so close to a main nerve. Somebody who wasn't properly trained wouldn't know that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Manchester, Connecticut

84 months ago

Hey. Yea it was on the medial side of my Left arm. She jabbed me with the needle and then pulled it back to catch the vein. She had no idea what she was doing. I spoke to the supervisor for the company and she just told me she was sorry and to keep her informed on what was happening. I'm seeing a Dr. by Monday to figure out what is going on. My biggest problem though is that it is effecting me NOW. Even if it is not permenant and lasts up to six months or longer shouldn't I be commpensated for this. I can't believe that this happened but thank you for getting back. I really have to figure this out.

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

84 months ago

Guide

Nerve damage from a routine blood draw can be extremely serious. You need to get the exact location of the venipuncture documented,and find out the training standards for that lab. As far as you know the blood drawer was being trained on the job and as you said,had no idea what she was doing. There is no excuse for that and you are living through the direct consequences of such carelessness.

Look up all you can online about phlebotomy lawsuits and nerve damage. There is a good article about it in this link that I hope you can see-

www.boston.com/yourlife/health/other/articles/2006/05/30/a_little_sting_can_become_a_debilitating_injury/

You might want to contact Dennis Ernst of that phlebotomy education center,since he is an expert at this.

Good luck at the doctor's and keep us posted as to what you find out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Salem, New Hampshire

83 months ago

Ashley, I am so sorry that someone would do that to you and talk to you that way. LC is right you need to get legal help right way and make sure you document everything. Good luck to you I hope it works out in your favor.

I am a student in Phlebotomy I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction of where I might be able to find some information about how things change and if things have changed within phlebotomy weather recent or in the past I am not picky I am just looking for information.

Thank you in advance for you help.

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

83 months ago

Guide

Hi Nancy. Try the website in my profile. There is a lot of information on there,and many helpful members who will try to answer your questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

LC Thanks you I have gone on there still having a hard time finding some good information.

I need a little more help. I am trying to do a paper and I can't remember what CITRATE does to the blood? Can anyone help me with that just want to make sure I have all the correct information.

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

83 months ago

Guide

Citrate removes calcium in the blood to prevent coagulation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Thank you.
That is what I thought but like I said I wanted to be sure. IF I have more question would you be willing to help me cause it sounds like you know a lot.

LC in Cleveland, Ohio

83 months ago

Guide

Thanks but if I can't answer anything,the Internet can. Here is a great website that helped me when I was in classes-

library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/TUTORIAL/PHLEB/PHLEB.html

j's in Lima, Ohio

79 months ago

I just want to say, I am so fed up with hospitals/facilities hiring people to do "my job". I am a certified phlebotomist, have been since 1990. Anymore administrators are hiring non certified, non experienced people to do phlebotomy, because they don't have to pay for an addtional position. The pay scale is the same for a non certified person, who is in nusing school ( big deal) as it is for an experienced/ certified phelebotomist. ALl these students are being taught is, stick the needle in a vein, and then ask what "color tube"? I am so frustrated! I worked very hard for my credidations. There's more to phlebotomy then the medical field is giving us credit for. I would really like to get this state a bill that syas you have to be certified to prefrom phlebotomy punctures. And also raise our pay scales! It's sad that you can make the same amt. of money doing something not as critical like working at a waitress. Nothing against waitressing. Does anybody else feel this way??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maggie in Bothell, Washington

78 months ago

Hi,

Does anyone have a good copy of the Phlebotomy Exam Review third edition CD by Ruth E McCall ,& Cathee M Tankersley? I had purchased the book used on Amazon but it didn't come with the CD. If you have it and are willing to sell it to me please contact me at pallaszina@gmail.com.

Thank you,

Maggie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jys in Delaware, Ohio

78 months ago

Maggie,

I have this book, but when I purchased it from Barnes and Noble and questioned about the CD, they told me the CD is not included. You have to go to thePoint.lww.com/McCallexam3e
this will give you access to the additional 150test questions.

Why the back cover of the book states that a CD is included is very far from the truth.
Hope this helps! Good Luck!

J

Maggie Powell in Kirkland, Washington

78 months ago

Thank you J. That page requests an access code. Any idea what that is? I tried the bar code numbers and the numbers on the inside of the book. No luck.

Maggie

berta

77 months ago

D in Dayton, Ohio said: I graduated 3 months ago and I havent found a phlebotomist job yet. Its very frustrating because I finally found something that I like. Everybody wants you to have at least 6 months to 2 years experience. How do they expect us to have experience if employers arent willing to give us a chance. Am I alone? Does anyone have any advice?

HI ,I also Graduated in March of this year and have applied alot of places ,I agree ,Whats the trick to getten in??????????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

shortness in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

75 months ago

i hate my phlebotomist job so much. i have years of experience. i have no other skills right now so i am stuck in the job. the patients are so irritating. i should be more grateful to have a job in this economy but i am becoming very impatient with the people i deal with daily.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

megan in Ashburn, Virginia

75 months ago

I love drawing people's blood!! But I can see how years of it can drain a person. Why don't you take classes at a local community college to find something that you are interested in doing for a career?

julie.trevino@ymail.com in Escondido, California

73 months ago

I have changed my email from meximajulia@yahoo.com to julie.tevino@ymail.com

Savannah

72 months ago

shortness in Chapel Hill, North Carolina said: i hate my phlebotomist job so much. i have years of experience. i have no other skills right now so i am stuck in the job. the patients are so irritating. i should be more grateful to have a job in this economy but i am becoming very impatient with the people i deal with daily.

Hi Shortness in Chapel Hill, I am going to start a phlebotomy program soon. I have looked around at saleries in the Raleigh area and am finding that it's around $15/hour to start. Is there anything else like a CNA or ??? that I could add on OR do with just the phlebotomy certificate to make more money? Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Savannah

72 months ago

megan in Ashburn, Virginia said: I love drawing people's blood!! But I can see how years of it can drain a person. Why don't you take classes at a local community college to find something that you are interested in doing for a career?

Hi, I'm starting a phlebotomy program soon and am finding the starting saleries are $15/hour. Is there anything else that I can add on to make more money? Thank you!

A.G. in Akron, Ohio

72 months ago

j's in Lima, Ohio said: I just want to say, I am so fed up with hospitals/facilities hiring people to do "my job". I am a certified phlebotomist, have been since 1990. Anymore administrators are hiring non certified, non experienced people to do phlebotomy, because they don't have to pay for an addtional position. The pay scale is the same for a non certified person, who is in nusing school ( big deal) as it is for an experienced/ certified phelebotomist. ALl these students are being taught is, stick the needle in a vein, and then ask what "color tube"? I am so frustrated! I worked very hard for my credidations. There's more to phlebotomy then the medical field is giving us credit for. I would really like to get this state a bill that syas you have to be certified to prefrom phlebotomy punctures. And also raise our pay scales! It's sad that you can make the same amt. of money doing something not as critical like working at a waitress. Nothing against waitressing. Does anybody else feel this way??
I understand what your saying, but in my opinion said incorrectly.They hire people not passionate or experienced in phlebotomy.I have seen certified phlebotomists draw blood incorrectly also.I have been a phlebotomist for 5yrs.,I am not certified,and attended a 1yr. program for medical assisting. I only finished 6mos. and dropped out,and started my first job in phlebotomy, which was only drawing geriatric patients.Outside of the schooling, I had in medical assisting, I had a very good trainer my sister. Who has been drawing blood for 22yrs.. It all goes back to good work ethics.Yes, they really should raise the pay scale.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

A.G. in Akron, Ohio

72 months ago

D in Dayton, Ohio said: I graduated 3 months ago and I havent found a phlebotomist job yet. Its very frustrating because I finally found something that I like. Everybody wants you to have at least 6 months to 2 years experience. How do they expect us to have experience if employers arent willing to give us a chance. Am I alone? Does anyone have any advice?
This is true, but you can also build some experience. If you have a facility that has you go out to nursing homes and group homes and draw blood. It is not the best, but somewhere to start, and build your 6mos.-2yrs.Don't give up!

A.G. in Akron, Ohio

72 months ago

A.G. in Akron, Ohio said: I understand what your saying, but in my opinion said incorrectly.They hire people not passionate or experienced in phlebotomy.I have seen certified phlebotomists draw blood incorrectly also.I have been a phlebotomist for 5yrs.,I am not certified,and attended a 1yr. program for medical assisting. I only finished 6mos. and dropped out,and started my first job in phlebotomy, which was only drawing geriatric patients.Outside of the schooling, I had in medical assisting, I had a very good trainer my sister. Who has been drawing blood for 22yrs.. It all goes back to good work ethics.Yes, they really should raise the pay scale.
Oh,yeah! It also goes back to the person who trained you and how well they informed you about the technique of drawing blood.

A.G. in Akron, Ohio

72 months ago

Savannah said: Hi Shortness in Chapel Hill, I am going to start a phlebotomy program soon. I have looked around at saleries in the Raleigh area and am finding that it's around $15/hour to start. Is there anything else like a CNA or ??? that I could add on OR do with just the phlebotomy certificate to make more money? Thank you!
Shortness in Chapel Hill-Please leave your job immediately, if you feel such anger, the patients don't deserve that or to feel it when you stick them.Not to be mean,but obviously you are not passionate about phlebotomy.You working in a position that someone else,could be in, who is passionate about phlebotomy and don't think the patients are irritating.

A.G. in Akron, Ohio

72 months ago

Nancy in Salem, New Hampshire said: Ashley, I am so sorry that someone would do that to you and talk to you that way. LC is right you need to get legal help right way and make sure you document everything. Good luck to you I hope it works out in your favor.

I am a student in Phlebotomy I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction of where I might be able to find some information about how things change and if things have changed within phlebotomy weather recent or in the past I am not picky I am just looking for information.

Thank you in advance for you help.

To find updated info. in phlebotomy,go to www.ascp.org. It is respected and preferred by most lab facilities.

Laura in Toronto, Ontario

67 months ago

Can someone recommend a patient/good phlebotomist in the Fairfield, CT area? My mother has difficulty--she doesn't faint or get nervous--she just has tiny, deep veins and bruises easily. The gal she loved moved out of the area and I'd really appreciate any suggestions of who handles this type of draw well. :-)

Dee in Reform, AL

67 months ago

You're not alone!! I finished in May 09 and due to lack of experience I can't find employment. These employers will either pay higher wages for more experienced phlebotomist or pay entry-level for less experienced phlebotomist. Less experience does not mean less technique!!!

BonnieB in North Tonawanda, New York

66 months ago

I am going to school for phlebotomy in less than a week. Do I need to have any math skills?
Will there be any work for me out there? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

charsue8@aol.com in Waverly, West Virginia

64 months ago

Ashley in Manchester, Connecticut said: Hey I'm new to this stuff but I'm having a serious problem. I went in a week ago to have my blood drawn and she hit my nerve. I'm have severe pain, numbness, weakness, and my muscles in my arm, chest and upper back are very sore. I want to know what I can do. I'm a massage therapist and this has completly ruined my ability to do my job. When I told the woman who was drawing the blood she told me that it only hurt because I had a needle in my arm. I couldn't believe it!!! Any help! PLEASE!!

I am currently taking phlembotomy classes. YOu need to see a doctor immediately about your condition.

blopez61165@aol.com in Jacksonville, Florida

63 months ago

I just finished my phlebotomist class August 09 I am also a CNA. However, I am not working at this time. I am looking on the enter net and it looks as everyone wants you to have 1 year experance. How do you get around that to get your foot in the door. I am in Jacksonville, Fl if anyone reads this and can help please e-mail me @ blopez61165@aol.com

Savannah Brie in Stafford, Virginia

63 months ago

shortness in Chapel Hill, North Carolina said: i hate my phlebotomist job so much. i have years of experience. i have no other skills right now so i am stuck in the job. the patients are so irritating. i should be more grateful to have a job in this economy but i am becoming very impatient with the people i deal with daily.

Find something else to get certified in that doesnt take forever to get. EKG is a good start. That along with your phlebotomist job will help you a whole lot, especially if you are working in a hospital.

dogsdorule in Lebanon, Ohio

61 months ago

I'm very interested in taking a phlebotomy program this summer. But I also want to include something else with that to make me more employable. Does anyone out there recommend stna, or ekg training to go along with phlebotomy? I live in the Dayton, Ohio area. How hard would it be to find work after graduation?

Benda in Jacksonville, Florida

61 months ago

I finished phlebotomy school in Aug.09. I have not found a job; however, I have not really been looking. I am a CNA and Phlebotomist and I find it hard to get more than $10.00 or $12.00 an hr. here in Jacksonville Fl. I say if you can go back to school try to get at least your LPN. You will make at least $15.00 to start. I hope this will help you n some way.

Brenda

Benda in Jacksonville, Florida

61 months ago

Hey, I wish you luck it is a rough market for any job. I think you need to have more skills in the medical job market. I am a phlebotomist but not working as one at this time. I am doing home health care privite work $20.00 per hr.
Brenda

Jamie Gibson in Portland, Oregon

61 months ago

I have finnished the first part of phlebotomy program, now Iam doing my Internship, I find phlebotomy very challenging and fun at the same time,I also have my adult and child CPR certification. I work as a care giver for the state of Oregon but want to move on to become a full time phlebotomist. Iam only making $10.20 an hour, my goal is to make $15.00-$20.00 an hour. I hop there will be work out there for me by MARCH 2010. ~JAMIE~

Elvin Espinal in Danbury, Connecticut

59 months ago

Hello everyone...I got certified as a phlebotomist couple of months ago but haven't get any job yet.
it's real hard since every employer requiere experience.
if someone knows and can help me please let me know.
around Fairfield County.

emstek2 in Victorville, California

59 months ago

IM A CPT-1 (LICENSED) Phlebotomist here in California, If anyone is looking to hire me, i have over 15 yrs experience in the field/Lab, with peds, geriatric, adult, etc. Willing to relocate if the price is right, please email me at donpetersonmd@msn.com or go to mywebsite: petersonparamedical.com

Lynn in Raleigh, North Carolina

55 months ago

Burining out in Fort Myers, Florida said: I empathize. I used to love my job when I first started, but after three years of doing it, I feel that I am getting burned out. I used to have lots of patience with everyone, but now like you say, patients are really starting to irritate me with all their demands, and their attitudes, etc. It's is like your are having to calm down everyone all the time, and when you succeed and do it painlessly, they love you and you are the BEST. But when for some reason it hurts, you are the WORST ever and they hate you. I just get tired of having ease people's fears all the time. It is draining me, and I am sick of it.

I am thinking of phlebotomy as a second career so I am trying to get more info on the actual job requirements, as far as physical requirements. Can anyone tell me if it requires you to lift heavy things (or heavy people), or stay on your feet for long periods of time? Would this be a good choice for someone who is older and trying to start a new job?

chefcookie1 in Los Angeles, California

52 months ago

What I like the most about being a phlebotomist is putting patients at ease especially when they tell me they didn't even feel the needle. Often they come in worried but I talk to them and try to comfort them. Then I keep communication with them as far as how the procedure is going ie- "almost done", "are you doing ok?". What I dislike is when I get a difficult draw (heart patients or drug addicts) and can't get them. I know it happens to all of us but it is frustrating when I need to get the physician to do an arterial stick. That is also what makes it challenging.

Lynnette in Goose Creek, South Carolina

45 months ago

Technically, you already have the 6 months experience through your clinicals! You definitely have to shop around! I have been doing it for 5 years now, currently in nursing school as well! If you want a job, there's always staffing agencies to help you out! Don't give up! Be bold, and the jobs that you see on the internet, put in your resume, and if you want to be really bold, call them! They will sometimes tell you not too, but it works sometimes! I did it!

Sickle Cell Paitent in Chicago, Illinois

43 months ago

I am learning a lot. I didn't know that phlebotomist are not licensed. I think that this explains a lot. I am tire of being stuck over and over by imcompetent people. I tell them before the begin that I am a hard stick and that I usually need a small needle in order to make a sucessful draw. I tell them that a 22gage is what usually works best. If I don't then get into a argument about how that is a baby size needle then they don't know the sizes of the needles at all. My next issue is when they want to search for the vein with the needle under my skin this is painful for the record. Futher more, I hate when they try to go in a spot that even a blind person can see has been bruised. Just because it was a good stick for them last time doesn't mean that it is going to be the place to go for every blood draw. I personally think that there needs to be more training. I am sorry to be so harsh but this is a horrible experience for me every time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.