how many sticks can one phlebotomist do on one patient?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Linda in San Diego, California

112 months ago

sandy waller in Cleveland, Ohio said: please reply with this answer a nurse poked me 6 times and i know there is a rule somewhere but i need it in writing anyone know where i can find it?

You are allowed to make two attempts before getting help, however, if the patient asks for someone else after the first attempt, and the phlebotomist/nurse makes another attempt anyway, he/she can be charged with assault and battery.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Kelly Anne in Rancho Cucamonga, California

104 months ago

The general rule is to try twice, but if they have your permission they can keep on trying.

Reply - Report abuse

quest in West Covina, California

104 months ago

NO MORE THAN ONE TIME, BUT IF NECESSARY I WILL DO IT TWICE

Reply - Report abuse

Lori in Hollywood, Florida

100 months ago

the rule of phlebotomy is (2)twice then get some one else to try; with there permission only you can try again in the other arm or with a butterfly. if its a person with very bad veins.

Reply - Report abuse

todd in Marianna, Florida

95 months ago

I realize this was started 17 months ago, but wanted to give some info in case this could help someone else.

Just wanted to point out that while many people have given great advice I do not believe we have answered what the poster was looking for. He seems to be looking for some sort of legal documentation for which there are none. As most of the above stated many many times training programs and laboratory policies often dictate that a phelb should only stick twice then ask for help from someone else. There is no Law regarding this issue. So a simple lawsuit you will not find. However if you feel a legal action is necessary you would need to take an action surrounding physical abuse. Pictures should have been taken and submitted to your lawyer. If the hospital is privately owned the lawyer will need to file for a seizure of hospital procedure policies. You will then have to pray that the person signed off that they have read and understood the form during their training. If they have not signed off (which in the medical world would not surprise me) you will then have a bigger problem on your hands directly attempting to prosecute a hospital. Unless they gave you DVT or a blood clot you wont have a great chance in court. If this was an emergency critical situation the 2 stick rule does loose its merit as Doctors need those results ASAP/STAT.

I also would like to mention you as a patient have rights. Please encourage anyone you know in a situation like this to be vocal in a polite manner, and ask for someone else. IV's and blood sticks are by no means a perfect science.

Reply - Report abuse

Cathy Meadows DiSantis in Willoughby, Ohio

88 months ago

sandy waller in Cleveland, Ohio said: please reply with this answer a nurse poked me 6 times and i know there is a rule somewhere but i need it in writing anyone know where i can find it?

Hi Sandy! A nurse is suposed to only attempt an insurtion twice. It is not a law, but a general policy--meaning, most places where one may recieve such a service would have such a policy. Most, but not all. It is only a recomendation by JHACO.

Reply - Report abuse

melinda in Tampa, Florida

85 months ago

the school i go to we need 50 sticks to get certified they want us to get stuck 4 time a day for the next 3 weeks what do you think? please advice..

Reply - Report abuse

Cricelia in Boston, Massachusetts

37 months ago

todd in Marianna, Florida said: I realize this was started 17 months ago, but wanted to give some info in case this could help someone else.

Just wanted to point out that while many people have given great advice I do not believe we have answered what the poster was looking for. He seems to be looking for some sort of legal documentation for which there are none. As most of the above stated many many times training programs and laboratory policies often dictate that a phelb should only stick twice then ask for help from someone else. There is no Law regarding this issue. So a simple lawsuit you will not find. However if you feel a legal action is necessary you would need to take an action surrounding physical abuse. Pictures should have been taken and submitted to your lawyer. If the hospital is privately owned the lawyer will need to file for a seizure of hospital procedure policies. You will then have to pray that the person signed off that they have read and understood the form during their training. If they have not signed off (which in the medical world would not surprise me) you will then have a bigger problem on your hands directly attempting to prosecute a hospital. Unless they gave you DVT or a blood clot you wont have a great chance in court . If this was an emergency critical situation the 2 stick rule does loose its merit as Doctors need those results ASAP/STAT.

Does this form have a name?

Reply - Report abuse

Cricelia in Boston, Massachusetts

37 months ago

Does this form have a name. I would like to ask the clinic. This lady bruises me and hurts me every time. I've been meaning to look for information but it wasn't till yester days shot where I have had enough. She poked me so hard the needle hurt the whole time it was in my arm from the second it went in till she took it out and today I have a bruise a little bigger than the size of a quarter. I am sick of it. She is no longer going to be allowed to touch me. Does any one have a professional way that I can approach this situation?

Reply - Report abuse

Concerned in Mebane, North Carolina

36 months ago

I was stuck 4 times by two nurses in 30mins or less. I'm bruised horribly and the IV was not used. I requested they try my hand, which is where people have been successful in the past, neither would attempt this area and the last nurse said, it wasn't a good place for him.. But it is for me.. Is this enough of an issue to report? I also asked to go to the restroom, following admin of a benzo. I was unhooked from the vitals machine, but had to climb off the stretcher, myself, without the safety rails being lowered and no one assisted me to the restroom, they just pointed in the general direction... As a nurse, myself, all of these incidents are concerning.

Reply - Report abuse

lavernejordan

33 months ago

The phlebotomist is only allowed 2 attempts at drawing blood, after that they should ask the patient if someone else can try to obtain their blood before the third attempt is carried out. If they say no, then you cannot try again. You should always let the doctor or nurse know that the patient denied a third attempt to cover your own behind.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

lavernejordan

33 months ago

Concerned in Mebane, North Carolina said: I was stuck 4 times by two nurses in 30mins or less. I'm bruised horribly and the IV was not used. I requested they try my hand, which is where people have been successful in the past, neither would attempt this area and the last nurse said, it wasn't a good place for him.. But it is for me.. Is this enough of an issue to report? I also asked to go to the restroom, following admin of a benzo. I was unhooked from the vitals machine, but had to climb off the stretcher, myself, without the safety rails being lowered and no one assisted me to the restroom, they just pointed in the general direction... As a nurse, myself, all of these incidents are concerning.

They should have given you a bed pan or assisted you to the restroom. This is a concern because there was no bed rails to protect you. I always listen to the patient and if they tell me this is where they normally get the blood, then I'll try that spot after making sure there is no scar tissue forming from being poked in that spot every time. If I cannot get blood there, then and only then will I ask the patient if I can try to find another vein to obtain their blood. You should talk to an attorney.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

lavernejordan

33 months ago

Cricelia in Boston, Massachusetts said: Does this form have a name. I would like to ask the clinic. This lady bruises me and hurts me every time. I've been meaning to look for information but it wasn't till yester days shot where I have had enough. She poked me so hard the needle hurt the whole time it was in my arm from the second it went in till she took it out and today I have a bruise a little bigger than the size of a quarter. I am sick of it. She is no longer going to be allowed to touch me. Does any one have a professional way that I can approach this situation?

It is called an incident report. you should also talk to her supervisor, your doctor, and hospital/clinic administration about this. Document everything that was said to you. this way if you decide to take them to court, you have proof. also take a picture of your arm to show the bruises. also, let it be known to everyone that you don't want that person to come near you again!

Reply - Report abuse

Trump in Topeka, Kansas

27 months ago

laverne jordan said: It is called an incident report. you should also talk to her supervisor, your doctor, and hospital /clinic administration about this. Document everything that was said to you. this way if you decide to take them to court , you have proof. also take a picture of your arm to show the bruises. also, let it be known to everyone that you don't want that person to come near you again!

I agree that a report should be submitted, but she repeatedly let the person stick her every visit. If it was me I woukd have had made a complaint the first time and asked for someone else.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Doyle in Niles, Ohio

24 months ago

Linda in San Diego, California said: You are allowed to make two attempts before getting help, however, if the patient asks for someone else after the first attempt, and the phlebotomist/nurse makes another attempt anyway, he/she can be charged with assault and battery.
hi i have been in the hospital alot .I am a very hard stick for getting blood.I have to stuck 23 times trying to get an IV started. I know I can refuse .but with my heart I have to watch. What can they put in me to hrlp

Reply - Report abuse

shellozzie in Moultrue, Georgia

1 month ago

Doyle in Niles, Ohio said: hi i have been in the hospital alot .I am a very hard stick for getting blood.I have to stuck 23 times trying to get an IV started. I know I can refuse
.but with my heart I have to watch. What can they put in me to hrlp

This is for Doyle,in
Niles,Ohio
The answer to your question..What can they put in you to help?...Its called a "PORT"I myself am a hard person to get an IV started & with alot of major health problems,I've been stuck so many times
I got where I would just turn my head,
stop counting & let them dig.Being from a small town,all the nurse's know me & I know them.It started off with me knowing exactly what size gauge I needed & when that stopped,I absolutely could not take it any longer Last year I had emergency surgery to remove my appendix.I was stuck so many times the General Surgeon asked me if this was normal & I said yes but has gotten worse over the years.He was shocked at how many times they had to stick me.But they got it,surgery went well.3 weeks later I had to have emergency surgery again to remove my gallbladder.Same surgeon,said this is ridiculous we've got to do something about this.2 weeks later was my last stick to get an IV started & it's been over a year now, That's when he put The port in.Whoever came up with that idea,is an absolute genius.I go every 6 weeks to the hospital to get the port flushed,it takes about 10 min.& I'm out of there.It had gotten so bad that the EMT'S dredded coming to my house when called & all the way to the hospital in that ambulance they were constantly digging trying to get that IV started.Thank God & the inventor of
the"PORT"!!!..So I suggest you talk to a General,Surgeon right away,so they can put an end to all that sticking & digging trying to get an IV in.That was 1 of the best decisions I've ever made.Good Luck to you.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.