Can you go to PTA school and work full time?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

ks in Passaic, New Jersey

58 months ago

I want to know if anyone has successfully held a full time job and went to pta school during the day. If so what jobs did they find were the most accomodating? I am a full time medical assistant and want to go to school for pta because i find that as a medical assistant i am not so much directly helping people as i am a secretary for the doctor. I recently observed ptas at a kessler outpatient facility and loved their interaction with people and their direct involvement in motivitating them in their exercises.

Anywho, the problems i am encountering are:
1.the only school in my area is out of county and i would have to pay double for out of county tuition

2. It is a day program and i work during the day so i would have to quit my day job and find a night job first before considering the program

3. I need a full time salary to make ends meet every month and cannot really support myself financially if i worked part time.

Based on all these issues i am finding it pretty near impossible to transition into this career. I want to know if other people have faced these hurdles and if so how have they overcome them? Would they suggest to me to find an easier career transition??

ANy input would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tinajulle in Surprise, Arizona

57 months ago

ks in Passaic, New Jersey said: I want to know if anyone has successfully held a full time job and went to pta school during the day. If so what jobs did they find were the most accomodating? I am a full time medical assistant and want to go to school for pta because i find that as a medical assistant i am not so much directly helping people as i am a secretary for the doctor. I recently observed ptas at a kessler outpatient facility and loved their interaction with people and their direct involvement in motivitating them in their exercises.

Anywho, the problems i am encountering are:
1.the only school in my area is out of county and i would have to pay double for out of county tuition

2. It is a day program and i work during the day so i would have to quit my day job and find a night job first before considering the program

3. I need a full time salary to make ends meet every month and cannot really support myself financially if i worked part time.

Based on all these issues i am finding it pretty near impossible to transition into this career. I want to know if other people have faced these hurdles and if so how have they overcome them? Would they suggest to me to find an easier career transition??

I went to PTA school and worked full time however, I found a job that worked around my school schedule (it was at the VA. called a Co-op program) AND I took courses to become a firfighter and EMT on the weekends and late in the evenings. After I received my training I started picking up shifts on midnights as a firefighter and EMT until PTA school was finished). It was not easy but can be done. And totally worth it in the end! I love being a PTA! I have worked in rehab, hospitals, and in schools. Did you check into online courses? I know that you can obtain a PTA degree online now but must attend labs occasionally. Good luck! My advice would be- check at your local VA to see if they are hiring studnets. and be prepared to sleep little.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.