Males in PTA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Ross Damman in Cincinnati, Ohio

57 months ago

I was just curious on the percentage of males in the Physical Therapy Field. Does anyone have any information on this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Aphex in Falls Church, Virginia

57 months ago

Yes,
The percentage of males in this profession ranges from 15 to 20% according to the American Physical Therapy Association.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Thank's for the info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Do males have any advantages in this field? just curious again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

I'm not sure what you exactly mean by "advantages", but all I can tell you is that I'm a PTA male student and I've been in PTA school for two and half months so far and I find it very satisfying personally and professionally. You will get to learn so many things and skills that will make you a great therapist. I'm not sorry I chose PTA as my future profession. Good luck and don't think too much of the gender factor b/c it's not a real issue.

Ashraf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

smokey34 in Elkhart, Indiana

56 months ago

i am very frustated and need to know ASAP. Anyone please help! i am currently in the pta program in my area and am almost finished with course work. In about 4 months i am suppose to start with part of my extensive field work. Now, i have a simple battery conviction that i incurred a few months back. Will that automatically disqualify me from doing the field work or even getting my licence? what if, come time to apply for the test i provide all information regarding the conviction and recommendations and references received from concelling, would that help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

skyrise in San Diego, California

55 months ago

smokey34 said: In about 4 months i am suppose to start with part of my extensive field work. Now, i have a simple battery conviction that i incurred a few months back. Will that automatically disqualify me from doing the field work or even getting my licence?

Smokey -- Background checks are part of the process. I advise you to check with your state license agency to find out what would disqualify someone from receiving a license. If you call them, you don't have to identify yourself as a student; only as someone who is interested in school and has these questions.

I went to an AA degree info session for Radiography yesterday at a school in California and was given this info about criminal records from the speaker:

The competition for class space and jobs in Radiography is so high that the California state agency will not give a license to anyone with a felony. The state will not give a license to anyone with recent misdemeanors. Even misdemeanors that are a few years old is very iffy for a license.

Now, again, this is in California and in a program that has a lot of applicants and not many available jobs.

This is what the school's program guide said about background checks nationwide: "As of September 2004, healthcare facilities nationwide now require employees who provide direct patient care to complete a background check and drug screen. As a result, healthcare facilities also require any student who provides direct patient care to meet the same established standards."

Contact your school and ask for someone who can talk to you about these requirements for the locations where students are placed. Again, you can do this anonymously.

You are very close to completing all of the prereqs for clinicals. Do the best that you can. If worst comes to worst, all states might not require a license to practice. You might have to research and move to finish your dream. Then, after a few years, the record won't matter in any state. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

joe in Charles City, Iowa

54 months ago

I am a male interested in becoming a PTA and just wanted to know if there are very many males who enter into this field?

54 months ago

joe in Charles City, Iowa said: I am a male interested in becoming a PTA and just wanted to know if there are very many males who enter into this field?

Please read the topic from the beginning and you will find the answer to your question.

~Ashraf

everwintered in Renton, Washington

54 months ago

Ross Damman in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Do males have any advantages in this field? just curious again.

Males advantage is we get many of the heavy max assist patients that are too heavy for the females. I've never complained about this, but I know I could if I wanted.

Also we get the perverts that freak the lady therapists out.

And the grouchy old ladies that won't work for the lady therapists also get sent the males way, because lots of times these pts respond better to men.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KBL3722@YAHOO.COM in Coventry, Rhode Island

42 months ago

i am a 32 yrold male looking to get into the pta field.i understand its a 2 year degree.how difficult is the actual coarse,i have a ged and thats it.i am coming from the construction industry.due to a shoulder injury i can no longer work in this field.my career counselor and i have been doing numerous tests and the pta career keeps popping up.i would hopefully have schooling payed for and be payed to go as well.(workers comp injury) one other thing i noticed on INDEED WEBSITE ,where the he** did they come up with the salary range for this field of work? maybe its mixed up with p.t. any info on this would be greatly appreciated,especially from someone with the same or relevant circumstances. thank you,bob

mel in Binghamton, New York

42 months ago

KBL3722@YAHOO.COM in Coventry, Rhode Island said: i am a 32 yrold male looking to get into the pta field.i understand its a 2 year degree.how difficult is the actual coarse,i have a ged and thats it.i am coming from the construction industry.due to a shoulder injury i can no longer work in this field.my career counselor and i have been doing numerous tests and the pta career keeps popping up.i would hopefully have schooling payed for and be payed to go as well.(workers comp injury) one other thing i noticed on INDEED WEBSITE ,where the he** did they come up with the salary range for this field of work? maybe its mixed up with p.t. any info on this would be greatly appreciated,especially from someone with the same or relevant circumstances. thank you,bob

The salary on the right is NOT correct. The avg for a PTA is around $41,000 a year.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.