Medicare guidelines concerning Board challenged PTA`s

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 108)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Don Anderson

87 months ago

Please let me know what you find out about the OP setting and PTA's licensed by equivelency working with medicar part B pt.s.
Furthermore, is there a difference from a private clinic and a hospital based OP clinic and our ability to treat medicare part B pts??
I live in N.Cal and cannot attend. So thanks for getting back to me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AB in Roseville, California

87 months ago

As I understand it, currently cms will not pay for services performed by a PTA who did not graduate from an accredited PTA program for OUTPATIENT services (part B). Transmittal 65 was imposing the same restrictions to inpatients services (part A coverage). That was rescinded, but I believe the OP restrictions still apply. You should refer to the CMS Carriers Manual for and accurate interpretation.

Mary T in San Leandro, California

87 months ago

Since you live in No. Cal., there is a meeting Monday Night 7:00 at Sacramento City College about the quick A.S. from an accredited school. This may help somepeople who live close or can spend Friday, Sat and Sunday at school x 5 weeks each period for three sessons, or Friday all day for 11 months or something. This will not work for me since I live by San Francisco and work full time. This may help a lot of us, but not all.

Mary T in San Leandro, California

87 months ago

Did anyone attend the meeting May 10 at Cears-Sinai? If so, what did you learn. Please post all the info that you can. Thanks to all who went.

A in Sacramento, California

85 months ago

Check out CMS-1385-P and read pages 375, 387, and 522. CMS is propsing to grandfather us in!!!

Don Anderson

85 months ago

It is true medicare a proposal is in the works, the outcry was heeded! Currently every PTA licensed by equavelency needs to arise to the response requested. On the medicare proposal there is a link to respond to public opinion regarding "grandfathering" us in. Have the PT's you work with write response about what an asset you are ect.
Until now we have not had a voice, please pass this on to every PTA it effects as well as PT you've worked with in your carreer to post a response to medicare about how inportant this proposal is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NM in Los Angeles, California

85 months ago

Hi Don; Thanks for the information and is it possible that you can give direction on how to get to the link you had mentioned for myself and others to reply. I can assure you that a rapid and massive response will follow. PT`s, PTA`s OT`s, MD`s, RN`s, elected officals ect... Thanks again

Don Anderson

84 months ago

I apologize for the delay, I have the link in an e-mail at work. Send me an e-mail to andersd1@ah.org and I will forward you the link to access the site to post support.
Don

Kevin in San Leandro, California

84 months ago

I'm a board challenge PTA with 15 years of experience who lost a job due to the recent Medicare law changes. I would appreciate any help and input from other like me so I can learn the latest on "grandfathering" and anything else I can do to save my career which I love.

Mary T in Fremont, California

84 months ago

Please read the old listing on this website. They have recalled the rule that caused you to be fired unless you are doing home health if we have read the rule. The listing is hundreds of pages long but go the the part that impacted us. It will be final in Oct if they don't hear from the people that believe in us.
It was not a good time for those of us in the same situation.
Good luck. Hope this helps a little.

Kevin in San Leandro, California

84 months ago

Mary T in Fremont, California said: Please read the old listing on this website. They have recalled the rule that caused you to be fired unless you are doing home health if we have read the rule. The listing is hundreds of pages long but go the the part that impacted us. It will be final in Oct if they don't hear from the people that believe in us.
It was not a good time for those of us in the same situation.
Good luck. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks very much for your input Mary. I looked over the Medicare document as suggested and am encouraged that I may soon be able to get back to working with Medicare patients. Fortunately, I don't plan on working in the home health setting. I see that we're still in the open comment period where people can post a comment either for or against the proposed rule change.
I wonder if you would clarify the following part of your email for me? "It will be final in Oct. if they don't hear from the people that believe in us. It was not a good time for those of us in the same situation." Thanks again

Mary T in Fremont, California

84 months ago

I am very lucky to work with real professionals who all have written e-mails with positive comments. Ask all the co-worker you know, PT and otherwise, to write them. Since the APTA didn't let us join, ask anyone who is a APTA member to keep you updated.
Good Luck.

serena black in Dayton, Ohio

82 months ago

PTA in Los Angeles, California said: There is a meeting on May 10 at Cedars-Sinai Medical center at 6:00pm Los Angeles. RSVP Lorraine Kimura at 310-423 5497 or Sal Abiera at 626-536-0126 concerninig Legislative,and recent CMS changes affecting our pratice. This is a great opportunity to get information and to let the APTA know our position. I strongly advise every PTA board challenged person to try to attend.

I was enrolled in an OTA program and accidently stummbled across the OTA forum and was shocked to see the amount of negative comments from people all over the country..no job security, being treated like trash by OTR's, being forced to treat people on their deathbeds, not being able to retire because of the physical nature of the job, on and on and on. The only people who had anything good to say were students. I was advised to run for my life out of this field by several people. Do you guys share their sentiment about your jobs?????? I know that OTA's and PTA's work together so I was wondering. Also, alot of the people on the OTA forum were saying they were being replaced by OTR's and changing diapers if CNA's are not available. I would love to pursue PTA but NOT if it is like OTA. Also, I am 32 and wondering if I can retire as a PTA...Please can someone answer some of my questions....Thanks

Mary Z in Alamo, California

82 months ago

I have been doing this since 1979. I am still able to do it, still love my job and the people I work with. Things have changed over the years but the people are great. PTA are now part of the team and the PT let you do what they know you can do. Keep taking con ed classes and you will always have a job. Like all other jobs, it ebbs and flows. Sometimes there are too many and sometimes there are too few. I have only worked for three different companies in all theses years.
Hope this helps.
Mary

82 months ago

Mary Z in Alamo, California said: I have been doing this since 1979. I am still able to do it, still love my job and the people I work with. Things have changed over the years but the people are great. PTA are now part of the team and the PT let you do what they know you can do. Keep taking con ed classes and you will always have a job. Like all other jobs, it ebbs and flows. Sometimes there are too many and sometimes there are too few. I have only worked for three different companies in all theses years.
Hope this helps.
Mary

Thanks Mary Z.... also do you have to use algebra and physics everyday? I know you have to take these classes in school but do you have to do it daily? If I am strong in science but not so strong in math, do you think I could still be a PTA???

Tony in Austin, TX

82 months ago

So far I like what I do but there was a time when I thought about getting out of PT. I use to work in nursing homes and hospitals but I was miserable so I changed to an Outpatient clinic. The only drawback to OP is the fast paced environment, but if you don't mind, it can be a rewarding career. I have heard a lot of negative things coming from the Occupational Therapy industry about OTA's being outsourced by foreign trained OTR's. I use to work with a lot of COTA's and most of them were either going on to get their OTR or going to school to do something else.

Tony in Austin, TX

82 months ago

So far I like what I do but there was a time when I thought about getting out of PT. I use to work in nursing homes and hospitals but I was miserable so I changed to an Outpatient clinic. The only drawback to OP is the fast paced environment, but if you don't mind, it can be a rewarding career. I have heard a lot of negative things coming from the Occupational Therapy industry about OTA's being outsourced by foreign trained OTR's. I use to work with a lot of COTA's and most of them were either going on to get their OTR or going to school to do something else.

82 months ago

Tony in Austin, TX said: So far I like what I do but there was a time when I thought about getting out of PT. I use to work in nursing homes and hospitals but I was miserable so I changed to an Outpatient clinic. The only drawback to OP is the fast paced environment, but if you don't mind, it can be a rewarding career. I have heard a lot of negative things coming from the Occupational Therapy industry about OTA's being outsourced by foreign trained OTR's. I use to work with a lot of COTA's and most of them were either going on to get their OTR or going to school to do something else.

Tony, if you're still there, what is it that is so terrible about hospitals and nursing homes???

Mary Z in Alamo, California

82 months ago

Remeber that you always follow instructions from your PT. They tell you what and how. Just study for the classes and chill.
Mary

Judy in Sacramento, California

79 months ago

This is my first visit to the forum. I am happy to say I have been in touch will all the organizations and people that were discussed above. I have been licensed for 23-24 yrs, and also successfully challenged. I work in Out-pt and was informed by my employer this morning that the restrictions placed on PTA's who challenged in treating out-pt Medicare pt's has been lifted. Has anyone else heard this? I have attempted to call PT Quality Control Board, APTA, and others but no call back.

Mary T

79 months ago

Yes, we are now legal. Can we join the APTA, I have not heard back from anyone about this issue. Good news is in the air.

Dave in Eureka, California

78 months ago

where did you see that the restriction as lifted?

A in Sacramento, California

78 months ago

Go to this site for Medicare updates and take a look at November. www.encompassmedicare.com/Whats_new.htm

78 months ago

Go to this site and check out November. Copy it and bring to your employer. We are ALL now legal and can treat! www.encompassmedicare.com/Whats_new.htm

stv reroma in los angeles, California

74 months ago

is it true that medicare wil stop ulitilizing PT/OT/rehab aides by july 1st?

my husband just got hired as a rehab tech 2 weeks ago, signed a job offer, went to their orientation nd was supposed to start monday when they called today (on his last day of work!) just to say theyre not hiring him!

Shelley in Ann Arbor, Michigan

63 months ago

Help please, i am in need of interviewing a PTA for school. The assignment is due Monday. Can someone please email me at squandt50@yahoo.com

Thanks!

63 months ago

What all do you need for your interview? I have been a PTA in Ca for 25 yrs

Shelley in Ann Arbor, Michigan

63 months ago

1.What inspired y0ou to become a PTA?
2. How has your role changed over the past 2 years?
3. What types of patients do you generally see?
4. How many patients do you see in a day? week?
5. What role do you have in reassessments of patients?
6. What role do you have with updating goals?
7. What role do you have with discharge planning?
8. Have you attended any continuing education courses?
9. How do the PT's supervise you?
These are the questions i need answered, thank you so much for responding

62 months ago

1) I had full intentions of cont on to be a PT, but then I realized my time per patient is more than the PT so I decided to stay as a PTA.
2) I have been a licensed PTA for 25 yrs now. And I have seen tons of changes...and for the better. But my role as a PTA in past few years has been significant changes. Your assessment skills better be great, due to all the "medical reform" that has occurred in California, multiple times the measurements and assessment will fall on the PTA.The recent ruling by the APTA is a welcomed ruling that you are required now to take 30 hrs min of CE because if your manual and assessment skills are not up to the RPT standards you will not be a desired PTA.
3) Right now I work in an Out-pt setting, we deal with ages from 6 to however old they can tolerate PT. I work a lot with trauma pts, back pts, and neuro of all types and ages
4)I will see 15-18 pts a day. I work 30 hr week now and I average 45 to 50 pts in a week
5)My role in reassessments is huge. I need to be able to duplicate the measurements and assessments done by the PT at the eval so when it is time to perform a Progress note, etc, the PT has all the necessary info. Plus as a PTA you need to know how to cont to assess the progress of your pt and how to progress on a constant basis if only doing in-pt
6) In my clinic we work very strongly as a team. We discuss pt progress, or lack of, and if I am the one who will see the pt the most, my in-put is most valuable. My input will always be in regards to functional status, safety status, how the pt reacts in the community, etc. As a PTA, my in-put to upgrading the goals is valuable and the Therapist will rely on it.
(I am fairly wordy as you can tell...I will finish this on another e-mail)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

7) Your role in D/C planning is huge. You are the one who worked with the pt, if in-pt the Case Managers will ask for you in-put on where the pt should go on d/c. If out-pt the therapist relies on your input on the progress on the pt, if the pt is safe in the community, and will safely progress with just the HEP
8)TONS!!!! It is not hard to determine the PTA or PT who has not kept up on their CE.
9) My supervision is strickly by the APTA requirements. There is always a PT present in our clinic. And if I work alone, there is always one avail by Phone.
I hope this helped you with your interview project. I have a very strong and extensive background/experience in PT. What I have learned the most is that it is up to you on how far you can go in this field if as a PTA or PT, and how respected you are. Good luck!
Judy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shelley in Capac, Michigan

62 months ago

Thank you Judy!!!!

Shelley

BobOTR

62 months ago

stv reroma in los angeles, California said: is it true that medicare wil stop ulitilizing PT/OT/rehab aides by july 1st?

my husband just got hired as a rehab tech 2 weeks ago, signed a job offer, went to their orientation nd was supposed to start monday when they called today (on his last day of work!) just to say theyre not hiring him!

Yes, we were informed of this about a year ago and it was suppose to take affect Jan. 1 but was delayed. The reason for this was that to many companies were using aides illegally in place of PTA/COTAs to save money. These people are not trained professionals and lack the etiology of what OT/PT is and the treatment meathods for each diagnosis. To many aides were treating patients without the therapist in direct line of sight which is California law per supervision polices and procedures. I think it is a good thing although I know it will put a financial hardship on those who are already aides and will lose their jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

The difference between an Aide and an Assistant in Ca. is huge! It is called a license. I feel that because a few states handle their Aides illegally I do not feel our Aides in Ca should suffer. Aides need that experience in order to further their education/experience. Those states should take a lesson from Ca, when an individual applies for a job...ask for a copy of their license otherwise hire them as an Aide and treat them accordingly! I feel this ruling will be extremely costly in all aspects as well, in-pt along with out-pt. The Aide shouldn't suffer...the states/companies utilizing their Aides as an Assistant should suffer!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CarlaB

62 months ago

Judy in Sacramento, California said: The difference between an Aide and an Assistant in Ca. is huge! It is called a license. I feel that because a few states handle their Aides illegally I do not feel our Aides in Ca should suffer. Aides need that experience in order to further their education/experience. Those states should take a lesson from Ca, when an individual applies for a job...ask for a copy of their license otherwise hire them as an Aide and treat them accordingly! I feel this ruling will be extremely costly in all aspects as well, in-pt along with out-pt. The Aide shouldn't suffer...the states/companies utilizing their Aides as an Assistant should suffer!

I agree, but the problem is that just as many lazy therapists utilize aides illegally as the companies they work for. I too feel sorry for the aides but I don't think they will all lose their jobs because of this new law. They will now be forced to use them in a way they were meant to be utilized.

superclothes in Bremerton, Washington

61 months ago

I am dealing with a new law (effective 1 July,2008) in WA. There is a PTA (now aide) who had 30 years experience as a PTA with licensurs valid in CA, because WA did not then have licensure for PTA's. The law was changed appaerently in 2005, to state that those not graduating from an accredited (CAPTE)school could not practice as a PTA here even if they were licensed in another state. Now she must act as an aide, despite all her CE hours, experience, etc. She can challenge the board as she took the national licensure exam, but this lady is super talented and smart, and the "board" said her employers could be sued/fined if they contiued to inappropriately use her as a PTA. They still employ her, but are now saying that my new grad PTA, who failed the exam once, can be billed out as a PTA for non-Medicare patients. I am appalled at the way the state I live in is treating us! Ethically and by our law, this new PTA no longer has her interim license, so don't you think my employer is wrong? I alone can delegate to her per our WA law, and she must be in my line of sight or hearing when pefoming any tasks I delegate to her. Also wierdly enough, we also have to be credentialed by our private insurance compainies in order for licensed PT's to touch the insured, yet we have a direct access law!
Sorry to be long winded Judy, but I feel that you sound very smart and up on how CMS is treating us, and wanted you to know WA is worse than CA!

61 months ago

To superclothes in Bremerton
Wow! Thanks for sharing that info with me. What organization or board is making that ruling? Quality Medical Control Board, the Physical Therapy Assoc of Washington, APTA or other?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

STAN in Ocean Springs, Mississippi

58 months ago

Does any of this affect new grad's from a 2 year program?

kwalls in Indianapolis, Indiana

46 months ago

serena black in Dayton, Ohio said: I was enrolled in an OTA program and accidently stummbled across the OTA forum and was shocked to see the amount of negative comments from people all over the country..no job security, being treated like trash by OTR's, being forced to treat people on their deathbeds, not being able to retire because of the physical nature of the job, on and on and on. The only people who had anything good to say were students. I was advised to run for my life out of this field by several people. Do you guys share their sentiment about your jobs?????? I know that OTA's and PTA's work together so I was wondering. Also, alot of the people on the OTA forum were saying they were being replaced by OTR's and changing diapers if CNA's are not available. I would love to pursue PTA but NOT if it is like OTA. Also, I am 32 and wondering if I can retire as a PTA...Please can someone answer some of my questions....Thanks

This is crazy!!!! I am an OTR and from my experience there are places I could not get a job because they only wanted a COTA. We have total respect for our COTA's! I don't know where these people who are writing these posts are working, but looks like you need to just be aware of the place you are going to work, not the profession. I have worked with many wonderful COTA's that would totally disagree with everything that you are hearing!! This is a great field and the only difference between COTA's and OTR's are that COTA's do not do evals or POC's. Our COTA's even help adapt the goals. PLEASE do not listen to these people!! Great profession COTA or OTR! People are people and some people will treat others like crap no matter what the credentials so just know that there are good OTR's out there that have just as much respect for you as you do them.

MaryTZ

46 months ago

I am over 60 and still love my job. The PTs I have worked with in the past and the present are wonderful! Come over to this side and you never regret the change.

kellyPTA in Niles, Ohio

42 months ago

Im from michigan does anyone know the licensure requirements for a pta in ohio. Id like to work in a nursing home so it would include working with medicare.
thanks
kelly

amy in San Diego, California

40 months ago

Is this decision still valid today in 2011? I am about to apply to a PTA program, its an accredited school, but I do not think it's accredited by the APTA. I want to make sure if I pay 41,000 that I will be able to use this degree. Thank you.

Judy in Rancho Cordova, California

40 months ago

The ruling was for the PTA that challenged the boards to become licensed not the one that went to a program. This ruling was successfully erased. However the APTA and CPTA has successfully made it so an individual can no longer challenge the board. Good luck.

RMM in San Francisco, California

37 months ago

Judy in Sacramento, California said: Go to this site and check out November. Copy it and bring to your employer. We are ALL now legal and can treat! www.encompassmedicare.com/Whats_new.htm

Hi Judy,

I hope you still have link in this forum. I am not aware of this very important issue until 5 days ago when my new employer for 7 weeks informed me I cannot continue practicing as PTA (board challenge,foreign graduate) in outpatient setting because they cannot get me a Medicare Provider Number and that I cannot treat Medicare Part B patients.

I am devastated and had been scouring the web, emailing, calling CMS, FCCPT and PTBC about this issue but so far only FCCPT have replied. Then I finally found this forum and so glad to see the link you posted. I just want to ask a huge favor from you, do you have a hard copy of this publication? Would it be possible for me to have a copy so I can show it to my employer. I already subscribed to Encompass What News and can also ask for the specific link from them, if you can kindly mention the link in question's title and year of publication (I'm guessing 2008?) Currently, only 2010 and 2011 What News issue are available for browsing.

Hope there is a way we can put this information out in the mainstream, to better inform everyone and avoid undue stress and wasted resources. I've been in limbo for the past days trying to sort this out. I wish I could have been in the loop 4 years earlier and done my part.

Thank you for your time and hope to hear back from you.

37 months ago

Oh No!!! I thought this was all behind us! I am sorry you have to go through this now. What state are you in? Let me look back in my files, etc and see what I can find for you. This issue was won and I feel those of us in the Forum was the main reason. I do have to head for work today and tomorrow but can look for it on Friday. If you do not hear from me in a few days, e-mail me back.
Good luck,
Judy

RMM in San Francisco, California

37 months ago

Judy in Sacramento, California said: Oh No!!! I thought this was all behind us! I am sorry you have to go through this now. What state are you in? Let me look back in my files, etc and see what I can find for you. This issue was won and I feel those of us in the Forum was the main reason. I do have to head for work today and tomorrow but can look for it on Friday. If you do not hear from me in a few days, e-mail me back.
Good luck,
Judy

Thank you Judy, I'm licensed here in California. Looking forward to hear back more from you and again, thank you for your time.

bsspta in Munster, Indiana

36 months ago

Judy-
Have you heard anything about the current issues that are arising for the PTAs? This is very new and panicking news for PTA program students!!

Has anyone heard anything?

Future PTA in Gilbert, Arizona

36 months ago

^It would help if you could actually give people some idea of what you're talking about

36 months ago

bsspta in Munster, Indiana said: Judy-
Have you heard anything about the current issues that are arising for the PTAs? This is very new and panicking news for PTA program students!!

Has anyone heard anything?

All I have heard of up coming issues for PTA's is here in California. Not sure if it involves your state or not. Rumor has it that in 1-5 yrs the PTA program may be changed to a 4 yr program. If this is the same as what you heard let me know.
Judy

Future PTA in Gilbert, Arizona

36 months ago

Judy,

I think she is talking about the new rules passed by the APTA that seem to suggest anyone (massage therapist, aide, athletic trainer, etc) can perform the therapy previously assigned to PTA's. This is not a final rule yet, it is presently under review and is scheduled to go into effect June 2012 unless the rule is rescinded.

More info. can be found here:

www.apta.org/VolunteerGroups/TaskForce/RCs411Thru1211/

wgallo in Laredo, Texas

36 months ago

ATTENTION PTAs! Hi, people...yes we should worry about what APTA is doing, but MOST important is WHY they are doing. And they are doing it because of new insurances and medicare ruling !!!!! There are clinics closing in Kansas!! Reason is that BC/BS decided NOT to pay, or pay only 40% for services provided by PTAs, reimbursing only services provided by PTs. We are looking to very crucial changes to a near future, and as someone has mentioned in this post, we are not aware of what is really going on behind the curtains!! Please read the following links...I do believe thats why APTA is reviewing model of services. Also, the following discussion in other forum as follows www.indeed.com/forum/job/physical-therapy-assistant/Future-PTA-Healthcare-Reform/t214122/p3
www.saljournal.com/Print/pt-biz-closing-112910
physical-therapy.advanceweb.com/Archives/Article-Archives/State-of-Change.aspx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.