No Accreditation in Canada?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 219)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

fatma A in Scarborough, Ontario

68 months ago

I will be attending community college in Canada (Centennial College) in September 2009, and have an option of either studying Biotechnology (Industrial Microbiology) or Occupational/Physical Therapist Assistant( both programs are diploma).
I have just learnt today that there is no accreditation in Canada in the O/PTA program, therefore I dont need board exam or licencing to work in canada. After I graduate though, I plan to move to US to work, can I take the board exam, hence licence, or my Canadian diploma will be useless in US (due to the accreditation issue)?
I appreciate your advice on this issue, or if you know anybody in a similar situation, please do tell. I have to make this decision by thursday May 7th- either accept or deny the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

DavidT in Berwyn, Illinois

68 months ago

Im originally from Edmonton, Alberta and like you said, currently, there are no accredited programs in canada.

So i had to run through a bunch of red tape took me over a year to get it done. I had to have my education reviewed and accredited by a 3rd party group (which took the longest because they couldnt get their act together). Then you have to submit all your education records + the accreditation records from the 3rd party to your states Department of financial and professional regulations. THEN the department's PT/OT liaison will meet every couple of months and review your application. If you pass their critiquing then you have to apply and write the national board exam. I used the International Consultants of Delaware to have my schooling looked at.

I hope this was helpful. I know i definitely would have appreciated someone helping me through this crap. That said and done, i make more as a PTA with 1+ years of experience than most PT's i worked with in Canada

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Thank you so much DavidT. Do you mind sharing how much it costs for all this procedure , and how long it takes?
Your answer will definitely help me with the decision. Thanks a Bunch !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

....or you could write to me alamoody11@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Well, this was almost 2 years ago, but i remember paying around 500-600 for the accreditation + the fees for transcript requests and postage. So that part was pretty inexpensive. Then it was another 120 for the state regulations liaisons to review my education. Then around 700-750 for the national board exam + misc fees for test prep and licensure fees

I really dont remember exact amounts anymore, but if you start the process while working in canada still, its not expensive at all and in the long run you make so much more money here in the US.

68 months ago

DavidT, your information has been very very helpful. It helps to know there is a way to go about it, just requires time, money and patience! With the info you provided, I will go ahead and accept the program : Occupational Therapist Assistant/Physiotherapist Assistant (OTA/PTA).

Thanks and have a blessed day !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Oh one more thing, what did you get in Edmonton, Alberta, was it an associate degree or a diploma from a community college? I dont even know whats the difference:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Angelove Jean-Simon in Toronto, Ontario

68 months ago

Hello

its good to hear another Canadian wants to move in USA for better opportunity. Yes David gave me the same information. I am looking to get my diploma accredited. I want to a private college Trios College, so in August I will graduate. I am really excited. From what I know most of the college in Canada only gives Diploma but you should contact your Centennial.

But I want to give you heads up, it won't be easy, if you are looking for a career opportunity in USA I know the best visa to get is H1B visa but here the problem: the H1B Visa is only for PT not PTA. After speaking with different agencies and Lawyers. I am disappointing but I will still try to found out if there is a way.

As David stated there is a lot of career opportunity with better pay. I hope you will enjoy PTA/OTA program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I guess we're in the same boat Angelove, I havent even thought of the visa issues yet, or maybe should I ? I will be joining my husband in the US who has a green card already.
I am a bit nervous about the tough demands for the program, how well I would handle the pressure, but I have to admit am excited of what it has to offer in the long run.
Good luck to you too, and keep us posted.

68 months ago

I think you shouldn't have any problem. if your Husband is in USA already and has a green card. It will be more easier for you then me. My Husband is here in Canada. we are both Canadian. You can still verified with immigration lawyer but I am positive you will be able to apply for you.

68 months ago

Sorry

your husband will be able to apply for you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I never heard anything about the HB1 visa being only for PT's, then again, i never really looked into the visa at all. I moved down to Illinois to marry my fiance at the time so it never occurred to me the difficulty of getting a work visa.

In edmonton i got a diploma. Associates degree = a 2year college program. I know it sounds a lot better than a diploma lol.

68 months ago

WOW

DavidT thanks for your reply but that what an agency recruiter told me from USA, she deals with immigration applicants and told me H1B Visa are for PT only. I am still trying to figure out, another recruiter from New Mexico told me it will be hard but its possible so many different answers.... I am confused but still working on it.

For me I program took only 10 months, I went to a private college like Everest College. And its true Associate degree sounds better lol.

DavidT if you can found out for me ( you live in the USA) if H1B visa does apply to Foreign PTA I will be happy. Please send all information to my email: a_jeansimon@yahoo.ca

thanks

68 months ago

Have you both studied combined OTA/PTA ? or only PTA?
I Wish you all best of luck.

68 months ago

Sorry for the grammar mistake

I am still studying as of now but should complete in August, I am doing PTA program. I like the PTA/OTA you get two for one. I wish I went to a community college because Private college are fast pace and you don't have that much time to digest some courses.

From some research I made if you are PTA in Canada you can start around $12.00 per hour, but in the USA you start career as PTA around $26.00 to $30 per hour that's better. I spoke with some teacher and told me if I want to work in the hospital (pay rate $25.00 and up) you will need to OT license or Master.

In way that's why I want to move in USA

68 months ago

In canada, if you work in an outpatient setting you probably would start around 12-15/hour and at the hospital i worked at i was making 18.

Here in the states, the most money can be made working at Skilled Nursing Facilities. Hospitals pay less here in the states because the work is soooooooo easy.. See the patient for 3 or 4 days then ship them out to a SNF once they're medically able, where they spend the time and energy to fix them. Hospitals pay less and they justify it by saying that "you learn more at the hospital" and the benefits are better. But if you want the money go to SNF like i did

68 months ago

Thanks for the insight, looking forward to a brighter future !

68 months ago

Thanks for the info, Hope I will be able to move in the USA

RoxYBird in Toronto, Ontario

67 months ago

Hey- great info!

I have a question for David, how long was your program? My concern is that a 10 month program (Everest or TriOS) won't be recognized at all by any of the governing boards or associations. Am I right to be concerned?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Hello

from what David told me his progam was 2 years, he told me to send my information and see if my studies will be an equivalent to associate degree. I For me I went to Trios college I am almost done. I will send all my information to IDC(internatioanl Consultants of Delaware) or FCCPT (Foreign credentialing comission of Physical therapy). I know David used internatioanl Consultants of Delaware

So I did I have already a diploma from seneca college I will use it too with diploma from trios and see if I will het something. I will keep you post date if you want I can give you more information on some reasearh my husband did email @ a_jeansimon@yahoo.ca

67 months ago

Another thing is, I was told all community colleges in Ontario( not sure if its all over Canada), they offer 2yr- combination of PTA/OTA, and not like separately. My question was, when we study the combined program, are we getting the full PTA for the accreditation in US? or I will be half PTA and half OTA? this is lingering in my mind alot.

67 months ago

My college was the same way. After the program we could work as a PTA or an OTA. The neither the state board reviewers or ICD ever questioned why i had OT classes in my school transcripts. So you can stop worrying about that. You will only be licensed to work as an OTA or PTA here and not both once you choose what you want to be when you submit your papers for accreditation. Technically i bet you could apply for both licenses and be certified for PTA and OTA.

67 months ago

Hey

Fatma, don't worry...everything will be alright. Like I told you on my email if your husband already have a green card you will be ok. I only studied PTA I think its pretty good to have one diploma for both PTA/OTA. If I knew I should have gone to community college. But its all good

Get in to the program you will loved it. I am looking forward to send my information to get my diploma accredited I hope next year or the following year 2011 I will be in USA.

Take care

67 months ago

Hey thanks to both of you with your continuing support. Angelove, you mentioned about my email, am afraid I did not get any reply to my email I sent you and I've been waiting, LOL ! Could you please resend it if u can? thanks..

RoxYBird in Aurora, Ontario

67 months ago

Hey, look what I found!

www.robetech.com/courses_us_phys.asp

I was so excited to see this! Expensive and intense but in my opinion well worth it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

thats about how much i paid when i was in school for it

67 months ago

WOW

I wish I found this 9 months earlier, I want to trios College. I am almost done. But not quite to happy with trios college. if I can give you a suggestion fatma it will be to go with this one that Roxybird gave you.

67 months ago

I will contact the robotech institue to get more detail, I wish I can do my clinical internship with them... I will keep you post date

67 months ago

Thanks Angelove, but I already signed up with Centennial college, which is set to begin in September, will see how it goes.

67 months ago

Hello

RoxYBird did you contact robetech? I called them to get more detail but they never call back. I think I will do my OTA....I was reading that it will take only 3 months to complete OTA because I will be a graduate PTA. Please let me know if you got any news

tara in Toronto, Ontario

66 months ago

I have 3 offers from 3 colleges. Biotechnology technician of Mohawk college, biotechnology technologist of Centennial college and biotechnology technician of Conestoga college. Which one is better in Biotechnology field for finding a good job? Does anyone is student in one of these programs? please help me

66 months ago

I, too, was offered the technician( 1 year) and technologist (2 years), both fast-track programs from Centennial. I asked the chair, basically the following:
Q -- what are the job demands in terms of technician and technologist? is one higher than the other? I am aware that salary-wise they differ.
A -- I think that initially ... the job demands for Technician and Technologist are quite similar. Everyone needs to adjust/adapt to a new work environment, and learn about the corporate culture. After a while ... the Technologist should be given additional duties ... that are more challenging / interesting , once they show that they're capable. this may happen to a good Technician , also... if their supervisor is paying attention !

From my research, the technician program is shorter and has less responsibilities in the lab,with lesser salary, while the technologist program is lengthly, more responsibilities and higher pay.

I hope that helps.

tara in Toronto, Ontario

66 months ago

Thanks Fatma for your useful information. I didn't know about difference between biotechnology technician and biotechnology technologist. You mean Biotechnology technologist is more interesting with higher salary? However, I am more interested in Mohawk and conestoga college. I don't know why the programs of Centennial college are opens while they are on waiting list at Mohawk and conestoga? do you have any idea about this? do you know anything about Biotechnology technician-health at Mohawk? I mean about job market, salary and etc.
Thank you

66 months ago

I think you should peruse the site www.aset.ab.ca/comparison.htm and see the difference between the general term technolo-GIST and techni-CIAN.
I do not know anything Mohawk or Cenestoga college, I only concentrated on community colleges near my residence. But again, you could always call/email the program chair with your questions- which I think are very good by the way, I used to call them and seek guidance on which program to chose(-cian or -ologist), job demands and pay by the hour as well.
Good luck.

Maggie Zou in Rockville, Maryland

66 months ago

I just read the posts here. Actually Canadians with postsecondary degree or professional license can work in USA with TN visa under NAFTA agreement. Check here: travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1274.html. My sister is currently enrolled in a PTA program in Canada, and planning to transfer credits and get licensed here.

Good luck!

ajeansimon in Toronto, Ontario

65 months ago

Hi

Maggie

Are you sure it apply to PTA, because I want to Trios College to complete in 10 months and now I regret I am affraid that the diploma wont be equivalent to a associate degree.

I spoke with several agency in USA and look at TN visa. They require you to be a PT not PTA. Some States do not accept foreign PTA. I really want to move in the USA.

I hope you are right

Linda in Calgary, Alberta

65 months ago

I also want to work in USA. I already emailed a few agencys and want to find out whether it's possible to get a working permit after graduation ?

Maggie Zou in Rockville, Maryland

65 months ago

Sorry for misleading you guys. My sister called some agencies here in USA, and was told PTA won't be able to work here on TN visa, and she won't get any other work permit either. We're very disappointed... I'm gonna apply green card for her.

65 months ago

Maggie Zou in Rockville, Maryland said: Sorry for misleading you guys. My sister called some agencies here in USA, and was told PTA won't be able to work here on TN visa, and she won't get any other work permit either. We're very disappointed... I'm gonna apply green card for her.

thank you for that insight, that definitely is dissappointing news though. I think green card is the best option if its available for her.

65 months ago

Linda in Calgary, Alberta said: I also want to work in USA. I already emailed a few agencys and want to find out whether it's possible to get a working permit after graduation ?

Hi Linda! Im from Edmonton. (GO OILERS GO) hahah...

PTA's cannot get work visas to work down here in the states. I moved down to the states to get married to my wife and started my licensing paper work at the same time. Let me tell you.. The alberta pay for PTA's is miserable compared to how much i make down here in Illinois

ajeansimon in York, Ontario

65 months ago

Yes that what I found out too PTAs can not apply for TN visa or even H1B visa you need to be a PT to be eligible, I forgot to post the information. Its pretty sad that Canadian PTAs can not move in the USA to work.

Linda the best thing its to go for PT or move in the USA to study PTA. You can transfer your credit from Canada to USA college. I spoke with several schools and that's what they told me. So getting a F1 student can be the best option. Even with F1 student there is no guarantee you will get a job offer. But you never know

I complete the PTA program and trust me the salary here in Canada is not great. If you work in clinical setting you are starting at $10. In the hospital it might be better but so many people wants to get in.

So the best option for Canadian its to go for PT or move in the USA to study PTA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Calgary, Alberta

65 months ago

I called a few agencies a few days ago, the answer is disappointing : even I go to USA to get PTA diploma I won't get TN VISA or H1-B visa after graduation ; although I can get student Visa to study PTA in USA. It seems for me that enrolling a RN program maybe the best choice.

ajeansimon in York, Ontario

65 months ago

Yes, I am not surprise, the best thing to do its either to become a PT or go for the RN program.

I am so disappointing, it seems there is a high demand for PTA in USA, but we can't even apply for them. I believe RN is the best choice. I am thinking to go for RN too.

PTAOption in Toronto, Ontario

65 months ago

Hi guys/gals,

Thanks very much for the information. I've been accepted to PTA program for Sept 2009 and will be declining the offer due the low wage issue.
It's very disappointing that grads are paid so low here in Canada. i guess it's because you dont have to write board exams when done.

Thanks again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PTA in Niagara Falls, Ontario

65 months ago

In case Canadians are wondering what is required to be licensed in the U.S.A., follow this link..

www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=International_Affairs1&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=62062

65 months ago

Thanks for the information, I will verify with my husband. But again from what I heard to get a visa to work in USA. You need to be a PT holding a bachelor degree.

lela in Markham, Ontario

65 months ago

Could someone please help me with what PTA consists of? Job duties,education,salary etc...I'm very interested in making a career change and I love helping people that I think this is a great fit for me but want to do some investigating before I jump into anything. Thanks:)

Jules in Kitchener, Ontario

64 months ago

I would also love to work in the US, any help would be appreciated for info! I have been an OTA/PTA for 8 years and graduated from college with the certificate!

64 months ago

Hi Jules, you will have to contact an immigration lawyer. But I have a special comments for all my fellow PTA and future PTA.

1. Private college are great you can finish early but community college will be the best option. Because I made some research and found out most work will hire someone with a community college instead of Private college ( Remember salary for someone working from private college can be low) . I consider Private college for someone that went back to school and wants to be update.

2. If you are looking to work in USA, PTA in Niagara gave a link from the APTA, I contacted an immigration lawyer and said there is a possibility for Canadian PTA to work in USA. I will have to meet her for consultation.

3. To all my fellow Canadian PTA if you want to relocate in USA and work in the fied. You should get a degree as PT it will be the easiest thing to do, I know it will take 4 years there is a High demand for PT in USA

Good luck to all

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mikhailah in Toronto, Ontario

63 months ago

Hi! I'm am also interested in the PTA/OTA program. I was thinking of going to Robotech after reading all your comments here. But sadly, they haven't contacted me yet. I sent them an email. Since their receptionist does not know anything about their US PTA/OTA program. I was wondering if any of you guys, heard anything from them. I heard, their US PTA/OTA program is for US citizen only. -_-

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.