PIMA Medical Institute

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 81)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Ivy in Seattle, Washington

73 months ago

I am looking for any type of feed back on this school. I have searched the internet and cannot find any. Is there anyone out there that can tell me if this school is worth going to? I am going in for my introduction interview in two weeks and want to be ready :o)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

sdansby in Colorado Springs, Colorado

66 months ago

Did you ever find any info about Pima?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Good luck! There is a Pima in Denver that I was interested in since they start their PTA program sooner than the community college does. Do you know if it is a lot more tuition compared to others?
Thanks again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

The program in WA is. It is being accredited this month.....thanks goodness.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Pima in Denver is also accredited.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

You usually cant find a job. Places wont employ you if you graduate from an unaccredited school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

katymarg in everett, Washington

64 months ago

PTA in Bellingham, Washington said: The only thing about the PIMA PTA courses is that they are not accredited yet. I'm sure they will be eventually.

Did you go to Whatcom CC for PTA? I'm interested in their online/part-time courses for working folks.

Kathy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ummm in Seattle, Washington

63 months ago

Has anyone here ever went through the program in seattle at pima? Is it hard to get into the program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

ummm in Seattle, Washington

63 months ago

oh yea... one more question. as far as financial aid, is the GI Bill going to be accepted at Pima?

mik in Seattle, Washington

63 months ago

according to their website, they are a canadiate for accredation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ummm in Renton, Washington

61 months ago

Ivy, How is school going in the PTA program? do you recommend it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Deviny in Broomfield, Colorado

61 months ago

Ivy in Seattle, Washington said: I am paying 25,000. I decided to go to PIMA instead of a comm college to avoid taking all of the prerequisites that a comm college requires. What was going to take 3 years at a comm college, is going to take me 20 months at PIMA.

How do you like PIMA so far, Im thinking of doing the same as you because I dont want to take the prereq classes. Do u think that was a good decision? And is the occupational degree the same as at a community college?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ivy in Kent, Washington

61 months ago

I just finished the first semester of the program. I really like it. The program is VERY accelerated and takes a lot of focus. The degree that you leave with is an associates and the same as what you would earn in a community college. The staff and all of the professors are very helpful! I would recommend the program to you.

Hope this helps!

diddy in Seattle, Washington

61 months ago

Ivy in Kent, Washington said: I just finished the first semester of the program. I really like it. The program is VERY accelerated and takes a lot of focus. The degree that you leave with is an associates and the same as what you would earn in a community college. The staff and all of the professors are very helpful! I would recommend the program to you.

Hope this helps!

Hi, i'm interested in that program and want to take it at the same Pima as well. Do you think you can give a little insight on the selection process for admission? i'm scheduled for an orientation next month and was looking for a little more information beforehand. anything would be great. thanks so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sports in Kent, Washington

60 months ago

Ivy in Kent, Washington said: I just finished the first semester of the program. I really like it. The program is VERY accelerated and takes a lot of focus. The degree that you leave with is an associates and the same as what you would earn in a community college. The staff and all of the professors are very helpful! I would recommend the program to you.

Hope this helps!

thats awesome that you are in the program already! how was the interview process? did you have to create a portfolio? and how many hours of exp. in a physical therapy setting was required?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dohs in Apo

56 months ago

Pima is cool. Rita is Garbage. People say Nancy is mean, no way! She is super nice. Rita is nerdy and thinks she's gods gift to physical therapy! But other than that, Pima seems legit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

bailey84 in Surprise, Arizona

56 months ago

Has anyone done the PTA program at the mesa, az campus? How hard was it to get in the program?

Reed in Mesa, Arizona

55 months ago

I have been accepted to the Mesa, AZ campus Pima Medical PTA program starting in Sept 2011. Qualifying was not difficult, although they do weed out the unprepared and those of below average intelligence. Brush up on basic math, writing, and communication skills before testing and interviewing. I'd also recommend researching the Wonderlic IQ exam just so that you know what to expect and what a good strategy is.

I'd love to speak with a recent graduate of the program. I'd like a students perspective on how to best prepare for the program, appropriate study strategies, time commitment required, and level of difficulty. Thanks in advance for posting back!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dbell03 in Mesa, Arizona

53 months ago

Reed in Mesa, Arizona said: I have been accepted to the Mesa, AZ campus Pima Medical PTA program starting in Sept 2011. Qualifying was not difficult, although they do weed out the unprepared and those of below average intelligence. Brush up on basic math, writing, and communication skills before testing and interviewing. I'd also recommend researching the Wonderlic IQ exam just so that you know what to expect and what a good strategy is.

I'd love to speak with a recent graduate of the program. I'd like a students perspective on how to best prepare for the program, appropriate study strategies, time commitment required, and level of difficulty. Thanks in advance for posting back!

I'm also interviewing to get into the PTA program at the mesa campus 2morrow! wish me luck!

AMiV in El Centro, California

53 months ago

Hey guys, I am looking into the phys. therapy Ass.(PTA) at PIMA in Tucson,AZ. Does anybody know if they are accredited? Also I was reading on the website that if you have an Associates or higher you dont have to take the entrancd test or exam. Is this true just want to be sure. Lastly, does anyone know if theirs a waitlist for the tuscon,AZ PTA course? THANKS!!

AMiV in El Centro, California

53 months ago

Hey one more ? If I was to get into the Tucson Pima PTA program and graduate. Would I be able to work in California or would I need more courses or schooling.

tee in Denver, Colorado

48 months ago

Has anyone graduated from pima denver campus recently from the pta program. I found some bad review about the school being a scam can someone help please!!! www.complaintsboard.com/.../pima-medical-institute-c217426.html

Lisa in Tacoma, Washington

48 months ago

billybob in Palm Desert, California said: what have you found out about this program. is it accredited by apta? can you sit for the national board after completion? how do you feel about the education you are receiving? thanks for the help

The school in Seattle is nationally accredited (state colleges are regionally accredited); however, the PTA program at PIMA holds APTA accreditation, the same as the community colleges. Where you may find challenges in the future is transferring to a regionally accredited program like University of Puget Sound to finish a Bachelors or go on to the PT program.

jon c in San Francisco, California

47 months ago

To those who have been accepted to PIMA PTA program: what was the interview process like? I have one next month and am wondering what I need to know/prepare for. What sort of questions were asked? Any advice? Any information at all would be greatly appreciated, thank you! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Zoe in King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

46 months ago

Hi, I am thinking about applying for the PTA program in Lehigh Carbon community college in PA. Is there anyone is or was going there? I want to change my career but my previous education has nothing to do with this area. I am worried about the possibility of acceptance. Its acceptance rate is only 50%. Lehigh is the only affordable school that close to where I live. Is it difficult to be accepted to the program for people like me? Also, I am a immigrant and my education is from other country. I have been in US for two years. Since the change of environment, I have been struggling thinking about what shall I do here. Finally I find interest in this program, but also find that I lack many courses that are requried by this program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gringote susio in Miami, United States minor outlying islands

45 months ago

Ivy in Seattle, Washington said: I have not been able to dig up anything bad on this school. Since posting this question , I have enrolled in their PTA program and will be starting in two weeks.

Hello, How did you find the PTA program with PIMA, are you working now? I am thinking of going there too. thanks

saml3 in Aurora, Colorado

45 months ago

Im currently in the process of applying for the pta program at Pima in Denver, Co. I know they run a background check and and recently I was charged with two misdemeanors one for Minor in possesion of alcohol and another for Drug paraphanelia. I was given a deal by the court that would remove these from my record as soon as I finish a month of probation. If my test scores are good and my interview goes well, can these offenses possibly mean automatic no entry into the program? Also, for those admitted into the program what is a healthy gpa to get accepted?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rich in Denver, Colorado

43 months ago

I have been reading A LOT of bad reviews of PIMA all across the board. I want to go to the DENVER location for PTA. Is is worth it? Has anyone here completed or about to complete the course?? I would like some insight please, so I don't waste my time and money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

reed in Phoenix, Arizona

43 months ago

I am finishing up the first semester of the PTA program at the Mesa, AZ campus. Thus far the instructors have been great, the curriculum thourough, and learning resources plenty. I have no serous complaints. If someone is looking for a program that they can graduate while being lazy this is NOT it. If your school is accredited by CAPTE and you study your texts while also getting plenty of hands on experience I don't see how you could go wrong. I hope that helps and Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

lv me in Las Vegas, Nevada

43 months ago

Has anyone heard about the Las Vegas Pima PTA program? I'm thinking of signing up. Does anyone have any feedback? It seems like its kind of competitive as they are only taking 26 people and it goes by points

We lost Doug in Denver, Colorado

43 months ago

The thing about PIMA in Las Vegas is that it's where the original Hangover movie was filmed, so you need to put "The Hangover" in the "plus" column. Also, World Series of Poker goes in the plus column, and those annoying people who hand out the brochures on the corners goes in the minus column. The Rio's seafood buffet = plus column. Dollar blackjack = plus column. Cirque du Soliel = plus column. Card counting = plus column. So it's looking to me so far like you should sign up. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Sunduby in Henderson, Nevada

43 months ago

Does anyone know if Pima Las Vegas is going to be accredited in the PTA program?

Also, any input on the school itself would be a great deal of help...

Thanks.

JRD505 in Kent, Washington

43 months ago

FOr all of those asking about how hard it is to get into the physical therapy assistant program and the process in order to even be considered for it... It is a VERY selective process! When I first went in to the informations session it was jam packed of about 40+ people, and the was only ONE of FOUR informations sessions. They only take a total of 16-30 people. So right there I knew from the beginning I had to put everything I had into it, and this was just to be accepted into it! Here is the list of what they require you to do/get just to be one of the applicants. (I'm not sure if I am even supposed to post this lol but I know it will help those of you trying to get in) So here we go....

All of this is going to be put together into a nice, neat, professional looking portofolio.

1) When you go in for the informations testing you pass the Wonderlic and Math test. If you fail you have to wait a week to take it again and only have 2 other chances.

2) Provied an OFFICIAL copy of high school and college transcripts

3) National background check

4) Immunization records and TB test ( I could not find these so I had to go in and get it done)

5) Clinical Observation - Complete a MINIMUM of 10 hrs of observation hours in a PT setting. I obviously recommend doing more than 10 hrs (I did 25 hrs) Just to show you are committed and go above and beyond. ( I believe this alone helped me get accepted in)

6) Letters of recommendation - Provide ATLEAST TWO letters of recommendation. One personal, one professional (no letters from relatives) As far as me personally I ended up getting 12 letters, and professional I got 5. Again you need to show that you are wanting to go above and beyond, and not just do the minimum requirements.

7) Personal statement - Provide a concise, succint summary of why you are seeking entrance into the profession of PT.

Now all of that is going to be put into your portfolio which you will turn in. AND THEN they will call you to set

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JRD505 in Kent, Washington

43 months ago

*Post continued*

AND THEN they will call you for a final interview with the PT instructors. Everyone gets the chance to do this, not just the ones accepted in. At the end of the interview they hand you 2 papers with 1 question on each which you must fill out in writing while they are all sitting there pretty much watching you LoL it was kind of nerve wracking but wasn't a big deal. I took up the whole page to answer the question. I can't really recall the exact question. But it was something along the lines, why do you feel like you should be accepted into the program etc etc.

I ended up getting a letter in the mail, which i didnt even know was the letter saying I got into the program. Then a few days later ALSO got a call saying Congratulations you have been accepted into the program! Ahhhh I remember that day, I was soo excited! :)

Then they set you up to come in to talk the financial aid etc. (must bring $150 as well) Then from there you start the VERY HARD VERY INTENSE classes!

It is NOT easy and if you think you will just float by and still have a social life, and party, and work full time.. Well you are sadly sadly mistaken my friend!

You must remember they are packing in pretty much 3 years of school into 18-20 months.

You will expect to do ATLEAST 2-4 hrs of studying EVERY SINGLE DAY! Now thats minimum. There were some days I did 6-8 hrs of studying.

If your going to even take the first steps to trying to get into this program you need to know all that. You will have no life for those 18 months. You need to put ALL of your focus, time and energy into this PTA program. There is no ifs ands or buts about it! Bottom line! YOU MUST MAINTAIN A MINIMUM GRADE AVERAGE OF 77%! REMEMBER THAT!!
Its a great program, a great career and a great school with great instructors! (atleast at the seattle campus) good luck to everyone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sunduby

43 months ago

Honestly I haven't experienced that with them everything so far has been totally legit at the Las Vegas campus...

Sunduby in Henderson, Nevada

43 months ago

Yeah, they are expensive, but it was either the PTA program or the PT program at UNLV, 26K for 18 months or 30k a year for 3 years....

I didnt want to be in the hole 90k out of school when PT'S make only 8k more a year than PTA's...

sarah in Las Vegas, Nevada

43 months ago

How difficult is the program if you haven't taken math or science in over 10 years.

Beachview in Clearwater, Florida

42 months ago

PTA is actually one of the easier degrees to obtain. There's pretty much NO math, and the science is basic anatomy and physiology. Don't let the people on these forums scare you.

jon in Las Vegas, Nevada

42 months ago

I actually got accepted to pima for PTA starting Oct 17th. i had to take a pre-algebra test(no time limit) and a wonderlic test (12 minutes). afer that you do a group interview with other student who are interested and turn all the required paperwork (unofficial transcripts, two different places of obersevation hours....etc)and go from there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Britt

42 months ago

I was thinking of doing the PTA program in Pima Las Vegas. But haven't heard back from them yet. Are there still spots left

jon in Las Vegas, Nevada

42 months ago

Britt said: I was thinking of doing the PTA program in Pima Las Vegas. But haven't heard back from them yet. Are there still spots left

i not sure if there are any spots left because when i applied just 2 weeks ago they said there were only 3 spots left so yeah but you should give them call n check

Ted in Louisville, Colorado

42 months ago

My wife went to PIMA in Denver a few years back. Watch out if English is your second language. They will do their best to pressure and weed you out if you show the slightest bit of difficulty in being able to follow along, even if you've paid all your entrance fees, loans have been disbursed, etc. The administrators show little sympathy once the teachers start putting the pressure on to drop out, as it seems to be "unspoken" standard procedure. We learned the hard way and lost money in the process. Wish the recruitment officer had been more up front about their acceptance/tolerance of foreign born students.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hill in Tampa, Florida

41 months ago

I'm in the process of applying to Pima. I wanna know if the wonderlic and math tests are hard? and if you find out your scores after you take them or do they wait to tell you? Any information on the interview and application process would be great too!!

Ken Wood in Platteville, Colorado

41 months ago

Gumby in Denver, Colorado said: Sunbuddy,
I'm just funnin'.
I like how PIMA doesn't waste any time. It's expensive ... that's all.

We have a guy that was in Aur or arap PTA class and left them because of the instructors was kinda ragging on him because he is a male. No PIMA will not take you if you do not pass by the PTA director. She is very picky. It does take ALL of your time studying. I know the recent class that just Grad.. are all working from what I heard from a student. Im in my 2nd sem. at PIMA in Denver and it does kick my A@# half the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ORn8 in Denver, Colorado

41 months ago

saml3 in Aurora, Colorado said: Im currently in the process of applying for the pta program at Pima in Denver, Co. I know they run a background check and and recently I was charged with two misdemeanors one for Minor in possesion of alcohol and another for Drug paraphanelia. I was given a deal by the court that would remove these from my record as soon as I finish a month of probation. If my test scores are good and my interview goes well, can these offenses possibly mean automatic no entry into the program? Also, for those admitted into the program what is a healthy gpa to get accepted?

I had a possession charge and still got in. They say there's a possibility for a drug test during individual affil's though. I never was. Good program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

horsegal in Colorado Springs, Colorado

40 months ago

I want to go to pima in colorado springs for there ultra sound program does anyone know if u can get jobs after you graduate is it accredited?

JRD505 in Port Townsend, Washington

40 months ago

Gumby in Denver, Colorado said: First off, I am NOT calling JRD505 a liar. I'm not.
But the steps I've experienced to get into PIMA are a lot different.
1. You give them your name, address, email, phone number, and bank records.
2. You sign a credit check authorization form and give them a check for $35.
3. You show them proof that you can pay the $24,000 in tuition and sign a form that says you promise to pay the full amount.
4. You're in.

No you are most certainly right I AM NOT a liar.. Why would I lie about that, or give false information?? You can call PIMA campus in Seattle and ask them yourself what you need to get in. Everything i listed was EVERYTHING I had to go through and do. It was a big process jsut to get in. You sayin all you do is give them your name, address, phone number, credit check, and PROMISE to pay the full tuition amount back does not make ANY sense?? I wouldnt even want to go to a school or program where thats all you had to do. You want people to be in the program that WANT to be there and WANT to succeed and have some kind of drive for the career they are pursuing. Thats exactly what PIMA Seattle did. Thats why they make you do a huge, elaborate portfolio.. to weed out all the people who aren't goin to put the time and effort in. Because if you can't put the time into making a good portfolio, you think they are going to have confidence you will in the class? PIMA reflects of the number of graduates, drop outs, students who get jobs, and how fast they get those jobs. That directly reflects on the program and school its self and also the instructors. I'm glad it was hard to get in because EVERYONE in that program is hard working, professional and wants to be there. I'd rather have that, than a bunch of scrubs and WANNA BE's who end up dropping out 3 weeks into it because "they didnt realize how hard it would be".
Thats why they tell you righht up front, you won't be able to work, wont have any social life.ETc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JRD505 in Port Townsend, Washington

40 months ago

I feel bad for that campus if you are telling the truth if all you have to do is simply give your name and address and sign something saying you'll promise to pay tuition back lol that doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. A LOT of people don't have that money so you have to go through financial aid etc etc which is also a long process. Doin the FAFSA and grants and all that. All i Know is that I'am happy with my decision to go to PIMA. Especially not having any of the pre req's it makes it nice that PIMA doesn't require that at all. Because if you went to a community college and did the pre reqs and then the PTA program your looking at a good 4 years. This program is onlly about 18 months.
I will say this to the people wanting to get in that have NO prior college courses, especially Anatomy and Physiology. IT IS EXTREMELY HARD AND CHALLENGING AND YOU WILL BE UP EVERY NIGHT MOST OF THE NIGHT TRYING TO KEEP UP. THAT WILL BE YOUR WHOLE LIFE FOR THOSE 18 MONTHS. DON'T LISTEN TO THESE POEPLE ON HERE WHO SAY ITS A WALK IN THE PARK, ITS NOT. ITS HARD ITS INTENSE BUT ITS WORTH IT I PROMISE. THIS IS COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS ACTUALLY TAKEN THE PROGRAM AND ALMOST GRADUATED. Most of these people ASSUME or THINK THEY KNOW what its like or will be like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mesa PTA Program in Phoenix, Arizona

40 months ago

The PTA program at PIMA Mesa is not all it's cracked up to be. I'm currently a student there. Here are a few problems you may want to consider:
- The Anatomy teacher doesn't know her material. The class has to tell her the answers to most of what she is 'teaching'. When you ask her a question about the material she says "I don't know" and "don't worry too much about it". Don't worry about my knowledge and the quality of my education?!?
- The Intro to PTA instructor will never answer student's questions. You will become very familiar with her catch-phrase, too... "what does the book say?". Yes, we are responsible for reading the class material, but if you do that and need clarification, you will not get it in this program. Either the teachers aren't properly screened for knowledge, or they are just getting paid not to care.
- I didn't sign up for this program to enter a high school setting where the teachers are the ones giving attitude at any (reasonable, mind you) question. This is supposed to be a learning establishment. Not a popularity contest with the teachers; not a place where you keep your mouth shut and pay $25,000 to scrape what info you can out of the reading material. I'd skip the program to buy the books online and teach myself of I could - it's basically what I'm doing now.
Parts of this program are great - it's shorter and it's accredited. But you pay A LOT more for subpar knowledge here. If you can wait for Gateway, do it. Save yourself the money and be better prepared to enter the field as a PTA. I hope this is helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Student in Mesa, Arizona

40 months ago

Sorry to hear you are feeling so upset. I too am a student in the PTA program at Mesa but feel much more positive about it. I don't refute your statements but I do want to respond to them for the benefit of the readers. A wise person once said "nobody ever always or nevers" meaning that those words should be used sparingly because they are rarely true and often bring offense. It takes a few years for a teacher of any subject to become expert on it. The Anatomy instructor is in her first year teaching and I am sure she will become much more knowledgeable with time. Be sure your questions do not feel like an attack. The PTA instructor will answer questions much more clearly when she feels comfortable and respected. It seems to me that all the instructors do care about the students and their success in the program. As for the question of better education at other institutions: I've never attended them so I can't compare. I hope you feel better with time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.