PIMA Medical Institute

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 81 of 81)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Camjam20 in Lake Oswego, Oregon

40 months ago

In Seattle information session, do you need all of that info with you when you go? Or is that everything they tell you once you're there ?? Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Camjam20 in Lake Oswego, Oregon

40 months ago

JRD505 in Port Townsend, Washington said: I feel bad for that campus if you are telling the truth if all you have to do is simply give your name and address and sign something saying you'll promise to pay tuition back lol that doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. A LOT of people don't have that money so you have to go through financial aid etc etc which is also a long process. Doin the FAFSA and grants and all that. All i Know is that I'am happy with my decision to go to PIMA. Especially not having any of the pre req's it makes it nice that PIMA doesn't require that at all. Because if you went to a community college and did the pre reqs and then the PTA program your looking at a good 4 years. This program is onlly about 18 months.
I will say this to the people wanting to get in that have NO prior college courses, especially Anatomy and Physiology. IT IS EXTREMELY HARD AND CHALLENGING AND YOU WILL BE UP EVERY NIGHT MOST OF THE NIGHT TRYING TO KEEP UP. THAT WILL BE YOUR WHOLE LIFE FOR THOSE 18 MONTHS. DON'T LISTEN TO THESE POEPLE ON HERE WHO SAY ITS A WALK IN THE PARK, ITS NOT. ITS HARD ITS INTENSE BUT ITS WORTH IT I PROMISE. THIS IS COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS ACTUALLY TAKEN THE PROGRAM AND ALMOST GRADUATED. Most of these people ASSUME or THINK THEY KNOW what its like or will be like.

Do you need all of that when you go to the information session?? Or is that just a taste of what they explain to you that day? Thank you for all the info!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Another Mesa Student in Chandler, Arizona

39 months ago

Student in Mesa, Arizona said: Sorry to hear you are feeling so upset. I too am a student in the PTA program at Mesa but feel much more positive about it. I don't refute your statements but I do want to respond to them for the benefit of the readers. A wise person once said "nobody ever always or nevers" meaning that those words should be used sparingly because they are rarely true and often bring offense. It takes a few years for a teacher of any subject to become expert on it. The Anatomy instructor is in her first year teaching and I am sure she will become much more knowledgeable with time. Be sure your questions do not feel like an attack. The PTA instructor will answer questions much more clearly when she feels comfortable and respected. It seems to me that all the instructors do care about the students and their success in the program. As for the question of better education at other institutions: I've never attended them so I can't compare. I hope you feel better with time.

I am a current Mesa student graduating this May. You are very kind in defending the teachers at Pima Mesa, but the picture that the previous student painted was very accurate. It has been a very frustrating experience for me personally and I have been told by my Clinical Instructors that Pima students are not as prepared as Gateway students.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Future PTA in Seattle, Washington

39 months ago

Private for profit trade schools are rarely good places to receive a quality education. I moved from Arizona to Washington to avoid PIMA, the only option in the Phoenix area. I'm in a great program now and paying less out of state tuition at a public college then I would have at PIMA in-state. Graduating four months sooner too (but I had to do a ton of prereqs before coming in, so that sort of balances out).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cstevenson in Spokane, Washington

39 months ago

what were your grades like to get into seattle pta program??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pta to be

38 months ago

Another Mesa Student in Chandler, Arizona said: I am a current Mesa student graduating this May. You are very kind in defending the teachers at Pima Mesa, but the picture that the previous student painted was very accurate. It has been a very frustrating experience for me personally and I have been told by my Clinical Instructors that Pima students are not as prepared as Gateway students.

I am trying to decide which pta program to choose and am leaning towards carrington because they have no waiting list but the program is much more expensive than any others have you heard anything good or bad about them and what made you go with pima also thank you for your post it is very helpful

pta to be

38 months ago

Does anyone have information on carrington college in mesa az is it worth the cost and how is the program as far as instructors and quality of education go I have already done a tour and I did like what I saw just want some first hand knowledge

spta in Chandler, Arizona

38 months ago

I chose Pima because the waiting list was the shortest. I haven't heard anything about Carrington. Don't rule out Pima though. It can be frustrating and other programs may be more polished, but if dedicated you can get a good education.

Best of luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

playbarman in Las Vegas, Nevada

34 months ago

Does anyone know if Pima Las Vegas is going to be accredited in the PTA program?

Jedimindtricks24 in Henderson, Nevada

34 months ago

I'm in my 3rd semester and from everything that their telling us, we are on track to get accredited...

playbarman@yahoo.com in Las Vegas, Nevada

34 months ago

Hello Jedimindtricks24,

I'm trying to qualify for this program, they will pay for my school but they are telling me that they can not approve me cause PIMA is not accredited. Do you know the exact date that they will become accredited?

thanks for your help..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jedimindtricks24 in Henderson, Nevada

34 months ago

April 2013

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jill in Loveland, Colorado

34 months ago

Im looking into PIMA in Denver for my son the PT Assist program. Cn anyone tell me the real and actual probabiliy of findin g a PT job upon graduation and what likely salary is?? Thanks :)

PTA in Maple Valley, Washington

34 months ago

Well anything in the medical field has great job growth rate and always will. Yes every job is affected by this crappy economy but medical careers aren't even close to as bad as other ones. Just go look online and look at all the job openings for PTA's, they are almost desperate for them. Especially with the Baby Boomers coming up, and with older age comes more PTA's needed.
Again, like with finding a PTA job, you can just look it up online for the salaries. It will depend on what state you live in, what county, if you work in a hospital, outpatient etc etc etc.
But they can make anywhere from $30,000 as high as $65,000 for some SNF's.

SPTA Z. in Denver, Colorado

33 months ago

I am currently in my 4th semester in the PTA program at Pima and I have to say that the program is fast passed. If you have a good studying habit and some discipline it makes it a lot easier and just a smoother experience. The teachers are very knowledgable and are always of assistance when you have any questions or concerns.
The only complaint I have is the overall facility and resources at hand. I feel that the money I am paying for this education the facility should be way beyond what it has to offer. I will worn anyone interested in attending this program that financially it is harder then any other aspect of the entire 18 months. They do not offer any type of living assistance and it is also located in an awkward part of town. Working is an option depending on if you attend the morning or evening classes but once your clinicals start you have to follow your clinical instructors schedule and make sure you meet the 40 hours per week mark.

All in all I would give the PTA program an A but the overall school a D. I would search around for accredited PTA schools and do some walk throughs to figure out what works for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nelia in Lynnwood, Washington

26 months ago

Ivy in Kent, Washington said: I just finished the first semester of the program. I really like it. The program is VERY accelerated and takes a lot of focus. The degree that you leave with is an associates and the same as what you would earn in a community college . The staff and all of the professors are very helpful! I would recommend the program to you.

Hope this helps!

Hi I am thinking about going to Pima in Seattle in September 2013. I was wondering where you did your clinicals? I live in Lake Stevens and they want give me an idea of where the clinics may be. ALso what did you think of the program and how prepared were you for the state board test? Any feedback is appreciated!

Arizona Grad in Tucson, Arizona

26 months ago

I thought that the program was good but fast-paced. The last two weeks of the program were devoted to preparing for the board exam. I was definitely worried about the exam, but I passed easily on the first try, and I think that the school pass rate is over 90%.

You might want to ask around your hometown to see if any potential clinical locations will take on a PTA student. The Pima staff will try to make arrangements for you to do your externships there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kay100 in ny, New York

24 months ago

Arizona Grad in Tucson, Arizona said: I thought that the program was good but fast-paced. The last two weeks of the program were devoted to preparing for the board exam. I was definitely worried about the exam, but I passed easily on the first try, and I think that the school pass rate is over 90%.

You might want to ask around your hometown to see if any potential clinical locations will take on a PTA student. The Pima staff will try to make arrangements for you to do your externships there.

Can you please add some advice to a new Facebook page i have created called 'PTAs physical therapy assistants'

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kay100 in ny, New York

24 months ago

JRD505 in Port Townsend, Washington said: I feel bad for that campus if you are telling the truth if all you have to do is simply give your name and address and sign something saying you'll promise to pay tuition back lol that doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. A LOT of people don't have that money so you have to go through financial aid etc etc which is also a long process. Doin the FAFSA and grants and all that. All i Know is that I'am happy with my decision to go to PIMA. Especially not having any of the pre req's it makes it nice that PIMA doesn't require that at all. Because if you went to a community college and did the pre reqs and then the PTA program your looking at a good 4 years. This program is onlly about 18 months.
I will say this to the people wanting to get in that have NO prior college courses, especially Anatomy and Physiology. IT IS EXTREMELY HARD AND CHALLENGING AND YOU WILL BE UP EVERY NIGHT MOST OF THE NIGHT TRYING TO KEEP UP. THAT WILL BE YOUR WHOLE LIFE FOR THOSE 18 MONTHS. DON'T LISTEN TO THESE POEPLE ON HERE WHO SAY ITS A WALK IN THE PARK, ITS NOT. ITS HARD ITS INTENSE BUT ITS WORTH IT I PROMISE. THIS IS COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS ACTUALLY TAKEN THE PROGRAM AND ALMOST GRADUATED. Most of these people ASSUME or THINK THEY KNOW what its like or will be like.

Can you please go to my facebook page to educate prospective students? Just write the most difficult parts (kinesiology, remembering modalities, etc. Add what you think will be helpful and invite others. My page is 'PTAs physical therapy assistants'

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nelia in Lynnwood, Washington

20 months ago

Hi can you tell me about when you graduated Pima. The test you have to take for boards and also job searching? Does Pima help you find work? And what kids of salary were you offered to start? Thank you for your help!

irene in San Diego, California

14 months ago

Arizona Grad in Tucson, Arizona said: I thought that the program was good but fast-paced. The last two weeks of the program were devoted to preparing for the board exam. I was definitely worried about the exam, but I passed easily on the first try, and I think that the school pass rate is over 90%.

hi arizona grad!
i am looking into the PTA program at pima either in Tucson or Mesa (dobson road) locations. I'm currently living in california and recently graduated from UC San Diego with a bachelors in Human development. there are a few PTA programs in california but the wait list is terrible even with good grades. the wait is about 2 years :/ but unfortunately the pima medical in san diego location don't offer PTA program. so i'm considering moving to arizona if i do get into the program over there. i have taken the math test at pima (sd) and got a 95% on it and got a 20 on wonderlic first attempt without studying. do you know of any websites or resources i could go to practice the wonderlic exam? i also heard that other states except CA, students are exempt from taking the entrance exam test (wonderlic) at PIMA if they already received an associates degree or higher? please get back to me if you can! thanks!

14 months ago

I know that I had to take the Wonderlic even though I have a master's degree(not in a health-related field). To be honest I am good with reasoning/logic tests like that and I didn't study or even know the format of the test before I took it and passed easily.
Just doing a quick web search there are several sites that have practice tests which maybe could give you more of an idea of the types of questions you might see.

irene in San Diego, California

14 months ago

thanks for replying! do you know what is the minimum score you need to get in order to be considered for the PTA program? Thanks!

14 months ago

I don't know if the requirements have changed since when I applied in 2009, but the admissions information from then said a minimum of 20 out of 50 points on the Wonderlic exam. There is a whole sheet of the point values that you add up to get at least 37.5 out of 50.
This information should be given to you in the "Prospective Student Handout" -- you should ask for it if it wasn't given to you.

dakonasweet in Phoenix, Arizona

14 months ago

Arizona Grad in Tucson, Arizona said: I don't know if the requirements have changed since when I applied in 2009, but the admissions information from then said a minimum of 20 out of 50 points on the Wonderlic exam. There is a whole sheet of the point values that you add up to get at least 37.5 out of 50.
This information should be given to you in the "Prospective Student Handout" -- you should ask for it if it wasn't given to you.

Hi Tuscon! I was just accepted into program, how did you find the job opportunities after graduation? Do you have any suggestions as far as preparation for classes etc? I start in August. Thank you :)

14 months ago

When I started the program we had a PT speaker who said that we could each expect three job offers when we graduated. When I was finishing up the advice was to move to Texas or consider a travel job. In my opinion the job market in Tucson is not good because PMI is graduating 20-25 PTAs every six months, and there are not that many new jobs. Places like Yuma seem top have openings, though.

dakonasweet in Surprise, Arizona

14 months ago

In your opinion is it possible to work an easy office job while going to school or is the necessary studying and class work too much to warrant working? Thank you for your reply. I live in Phoenix area and am going to Mesa Campus and plan on doing travel pta for the first few years.

14 months ago

Most of my classmates had at least part-time jobs and/or had kids at home. The only difficult part is that most of the clinical placements are 8-5 type hours M-F, so it wouldn't be possible to do an office job then.

dakonasweet in Surprise, Arizona

14 months ago

Are you enjoying the career path? What kind of setting are you working in? I've hear pta salaries in AZ aren't great, is this true?
Sorry for all the questions but I am really excited and motivated!

PTA, S-BSPTA in Englewood, Colorado

14 months ago

dakonasweet in Surprise, Arizona said: Are you enjoying the career path? What kind of setting are you working in? I've hear pta salaries in AZ aren't great, is this true?
Sorry for all the questions but I am really excited and motivated!

This should help give you an idea of the pay ranges.
www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes312021.htm

Being a PTA is a rewarding career but because of the amount of programs out there with the graduating class sizes it is very competitive and tough market. You may have to take what you can at first to just build up clinical skills and years of experience.

Good luck with everything.

april in Kailua, Hawaii

10 months ago

Sunduby said: Honestly I haven't experienced that with them everything so far has been totally legit at the Las Vegas campus...

HI there!! I'm looking to get into the Las vegas PTA program, would you mind chatting with me. I wanted to know if people drop out from the first module because of the work load. Also how was the application process? My last question is are the teachers and tests extremely hard or reasonable? thank you!

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.