From PTA to PT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

michelly-oh

23 months ago

I'm graduating a community college with an AA in general studies. I've had PT in mind for the last year or so but recently I've been looking into PTA as something right after graduating. How possible is it for me to get my degree in PTA and then go into into PT school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bluelineman in McKinney, Texas

23 months ago

There is no transition program from PTA to PT, so you would have to get your DPT to become a PT.

Michelly-oh in Kissimmee, Florida

23 months ago

bluelineman in McKinney, Texas said: There is no transition program from PTA to PT, so you would have to get your DPT to become a PT.

I meant, Would it be possible to accomplish both?

Arizona Grad in Tucson, Arizona

23 months ago

You can't become a PTA right after graduating with an AA in general studies -- you have to complete an associate's degree specific to physical therapy (and then pass the national exam. Except for one school (I think), none of your PTA courses will transfer to a DPT program.
It is certainly "possible" to become a PTA and then a PT, but you are taking the route that is more costly and time-consuming.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bluelineman in McKinney, Texas

23 months ago

Correction to my previous post...there is one PTA to DPT transition program. It's the Univ of Findlay in Ohio. Other than that, you would have to take the long way as described above. So if you went to PTA school, you would have to go to DPT school. Being a PTA would not give you much of an advantage as far as getting accepted or having credits transferred. So if you want to go to DPT school, do it now. The only advantage to becoming a PTA first, is you could work as a PTA during school breaks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.