To be a PTA: how long will it take? which school to go to in CHicago?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 97)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Ashraf in Annandale, Virginia

62 months ago

mrdoo2373 in Sarasota, Florida said: how many years to get a degree in PTA?

It usually takes a 2-years degree to be a PTA. It's an associates degree.
Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (100) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

mcdaniels in Memphis, Tennessee

62 months ago

I am looking to make a career change. I work days therefore i am looking into an online program. Are the online programs taken seriously?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (228) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

ian oneil in Kawasaki, Japan

61 months ago

I am currently thinking to become a PTA. I have some questions. Whats the difference between a PTA and a COTA? I was wondering how much it would cost to get the certificate and the degree? I know it takes two years. You have to chose the state you want to get certified its not transferable? Whats a typical day of a PTA? Looking forward to any replies. I am 35 year old male from the East coast of America and I am now in good shape.. Just lost 60 pounds in 8 months!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (115) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Stephani in Snoqualmie, Washington

61 months ago

ian oneil in Kawasaki, Japan said: I am currently thinking to become a PTA. I have some questions. Whats the difference between a PTA and a COTA? I was wondering how much it would cost to get the certificate and the degree? I know it takes two years. You have to chose the state you want to get certified its not transferable? Whats a typical day of a PTA? Looking forward to any replies. I am 35 year old male from the East coast of America and I am now in good shape.. Just lost 60 pounds in 8 months!!

First, congrats on losing 60 pounds. That's awesome! I am not a PTA yet, but have done a lot of research in the past few months and plan to go PTA once we can afford for me to quit my job for school. Here are my answers to your questions as I have learned through my research. I would highly recommend walking into some clinics, calling care facilities, and hospitals and asking PTA's first hand...also ask some PT's what qualities they look for in PTA's.

1. PTA vs. COTA: COTA's become more involved in the therapy and recovery from a broader scope. For example, a COTA might help someone learn how to dress, brush their teeth, move independently again, etc. Patients might be elderly, recovering from a stroke, special needs children, etc. My son actually saw an OT for a short time when dealing with some infant delays with gross motor skills. A PTA will be more involved in the recovery from an injury, outpatient sports therapy, recovering from surgical procedures, etc. The list is very long for both, actually. Do a search in the forums for COTA or PTA and you should find many threads about both.

2. Cost: That will differ significantly by school and region. I'm in Washington state and the Community College programs are 2 years and anywhere from 7,500 to 12,000 not counting prerequisites. Keep in mind you'll also have lab fees and insurance fees...and I think some programs require a background check that is a cost as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Stephani in Snoqualmie, Washington

61 months ago

ian oneil in Kawasaki, Japan said: I am currently thinking to become a PTA. I have some questions. Whats the difference between a PTA and a COTA? I was wondering how much it would cost to get the certificate and the degree? I know it takes two years. You have to chose the state you want to get certified its not transferable? Whats a typical day of a PTA? Looking forward to any replies. I am 35 year old male from the East coast of America and I am now in good shape.. Just lost 60 pounds in 8 months!!

PART 2:

The certification is good no matter where you are. I'm not sure if there is a separate state test for some states (maybe someone else can answer that) but the PTA exam is good state to state. As for if your school's credits transfer (If you leave the program mid stream and need to go elsewhere) I'm sure that varies depending on the school's accredidation status and how transferrable their credits are in general. You'd want to ask before enrolling.

I can't answer the "typical day of a PTA" part, but from the 2 locations I've shadowed (and my own PT experience as a patient) indicates that the PT evaluates and organizes the treatment plan. The PTA then builds the one on one relationship with the patient and tracks their progress. During my shadow at a clinic, the PTA had 2 patients at the same time in different phases of treatment. One, she was doing stim and heat/ice while the other was doing exercises. She asked questions and basically carried on chat conversations, all the while making notes. I LOVED the vibe. The other place I shadowed was a SNF and the man I was with spent most of his time with one patient, a woman with acute arthritis, go through range of motion exercises in her arms and legs. It was harder for me to tell the difference between what he did and what a COTA might do... I have not been in a hospital, but hope to shadow there as well before starting the program.

Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

kaif in Chicago, Illinois

59 months ago

I am planing to get a PTA degree from Canada. Could I be eligible to appear for lincenture exam in chicago. ??

Would this degree effect on my future job or pay package in America??

Please advice...

Thanks and Regards

KAIF BALHABAAK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jk in Little Rock, Arkansas

58 months ago

Im trying to figure out how long it will take me to get all my prerequisites done for a PTA course. I went to college but it was a long time ago and I dont think any of those credits will transfer. So Im basically starting from the beginning. Also I want to do my prerequisites in Ar and transfer back to a school in Ca for the actual PTA course. Any unforseen problems that any one could see

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

DavidT in Berwyn, Illinois

58 months ago

Kaif, please read this thread. i explained everything

www.indeed.com/forum/job/physical-therapy-assistant/No-Accreditation-Canada/t148785

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Emma in Las Vegas, Nevada

57 months ago

www.bls.gov/oco/ocos167.htm

Physical Therapy Assistants and Aides:
Education and training. Employers typically require physical therapist aides to have a high school diploma. They are trained on the job, and most employers provide clinical on-the-job training.

In many States, physical therapist assistants are required by law to hold at least an associate degree. According to the American Physical Therapy Association, there were 233 accredited physical therapist assistant programs in the United States as of 2006. Accredited programs usually last 2 years, or 4 semesters, and culminate in an associate degree.

Programs are divided into academic study and hands-on clinical experience. Academic course work includes algebra, anatomy and physiology, biology, chemistry, and psychology. Clinical work includes certifications in CPR and other first aid and field experience in treatment centers. Both educators and prospective employers view clinical experience as essential to ensuring that students understand the responsibilities of a physical therapist assistant.

Licensure. Licensing is not required to practice as a physical therapist aide. However, some States require licensure or registration in order to work as a physical therapist assistant. States that require licensure stipulate specific educational and examination criteria. Additional requirements may include certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and other first aid and a minimum number of hours of clinical experience. Complete information on regulations can be obtained from State licensing boards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Emma in Las Vegas, Nevada

57 months ago

it's worth getting the 4yr bachelors degree; salary is very very good, especially in big cities, but here is an ad I saw;

Physical Therapist - Entry Level! Job Id: W158019 Posted on: 7/21/2009
Salary: $34.00 to $40.00/hr , $70000.00 to $80000.00/year
Degree: Bachelor of Science

www.therapistscentral.com/jobseeker/Profile.aspx?JobAdID=158019&sitefromid=2&siteid=648

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

priya in San Diego, California

57 months ago

how did u loose 60 pounds in 8 months plz let me know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Birmingham, Alabama

57 months ago

Questions on Future PTA education requirement

Does anyone know if the PTA program (2 year degree) will be pushed to a {4 year degree} PTA program?

As you know PT's started at entry level with a BS and then to MS and now DPT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

raz in Ponca City, Oklahoma

56 months ago

how much does a PTA make a yr?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Priscilla Flesch-Birtic in Belgrade, Montana

56 months ago

I have a M.S. degree in Physcil Education and am certified as a personal trainer. I would like to work as a PTA. Are there any on-the-job training programs for a PTA that do not involve a lot of bookwork and take 2 years? I am in my 50's (I am in excellent shape as I am a competitive runner). I do not think I shoud have to take all those classes again such as anatomy and physiology and I have experience working with clients and showing them exercises. Considering my education and experience, I think I should be given some leeway. Perhaps there is an "short course" for older folks like me who already have education and experience working in a related field. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

retrobeast in San Diego, California

56 months ago

Priscilla
When you get an answer let me know. I am a personal trainer with a post rehab cert dealing with clients who have already been with a physical therapist.

I am also wondering if any of the so-called online PTA degrees are worth anything or a waste of time?
U can email me with any answers if you wish at splatgun at yahoo.
Thanks
Retrobeast

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Biobele in Chicago, Illinois

55 months ago

How long does it take to do a physical therapy aide certification program?
What is the least expensive school for the program?
Any idea about the cost of training for physical therapy aide?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rece in Saint Louis, Missouri

55 months ago

I am currently in PTA Program in St.Louis Community College and it is 2 year program. I love it so far it is alot of work to must be ready to studying also the become a PT is a 7year program frist the BA portion is done then after its required to do 3year in the DTP program. This will get you a Dr not a MA. There is no 4 year PT program anymore =(.. I was bummed to hear that however check out St.Louis Univeristy or Washington University in St,Louis Mo and you could get a better understadning. The PTA program is science based so you must be a strong in science. and I was told that I would make at 35-40 a year in the midwest. I hope this will help. Also check out www.stlcc.edu a look for the PTA program .
You All be Blessed !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in La Mesa, California

55 months ago

well maybe the person wants to be a PTA. it is not always about the money. I would rather deal with helping lift a person then have to touch some prego's stomach. not to mention the fact she will most likely be mexican.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (126) Reply - Report abuse

BearsTransplant in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

Uh.... so you have a problem with undocumented immigrants (I'd like to see YOUR ancestors immigration papers please), but not the banks and giant corporations who siphon off our salaries, overcharge us and then deny us health benefits, and have ruined the economy by outsourcing jobs to other countries? Ok. Whateve.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Aphex in Falls Church, Virginia

54 months ago

Guys please calm down and lets get back to our main topic. people don't come to this forum to read about politics. Please everyone keep the discussion focused on PTA!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kristy in Bryan, Texas

53 months ago

I've also been doing alot of investigation. If you go to the us bureau of labor and statistics it gives alot of helpful information. In the top right corner you can input the type of job your looking for example; physical therapy assistant. It will give you job forecasts, what educational requirements you need-how long it will take-weather or not you can get a degree or certification, it gives you information on the average wages for that occupation.
I too am considering a career change and it is the best source of infomation I have found so far.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

loren woodward in Toledo, Ohio

53 months ago

I am 16 years old i attend scott high school in toledo ohio. I am a junior i graduate june 4 2011. I want to go to college to be a pta but i am having trouble in decideing weather witch college i should attend. I also want to no how many years it would take me to get my license. If you would please email me back iwould greatly appreciate it.
Email address is lorenwoodward@yahoo.com
thank you for you who helps me out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Kim L in El Dorado Hills, California

53 months ago

Here in Sacramento it's a lottery. I wasn't lucky this year but next year is a new year. there is plenty to do to keep busy and keep learning. have you finished the prerequisites?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SALTNALT in New Orleans, Louisiana

53 months ago

No, I have a couple of classes to take before I can begin. So, I guess I just wait it out and hope I can start next year. I wonder if there are any states with shorter waiting lists or less applicants...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

That all depends on how much of your AS degree you have done. Sac City requires all the basics plus 1 years of anatomy/physiology, intro to PTA, and english as prerequites. i would say 3 or 4 semesters. some of it is sequential. you should check out an informational meeting at Sac City they have once a month or so.

good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

KW in Carol Stream, Illinois

52 months ago

Hi,
Please, if someone could recomend me a text book for clinical Kinesiology with anatomy and the second one something with phatology that you are using in the PTA program . I work as PT Aide and I would like to enter this field next year. I have some time and I would like to start reading something about it. I have found one book Clinical Kinesiology And Anatomy (Clinical Kinesiology for Physical Therapist Assistants)
by Lynn S. Lippert (Author) but It does not have a good reputation. A lot of people say that this book has a lot of mistakes.
Please recomend something to me
Thanks K

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Bellingham, Washington

52 months ago

mcdaniels in Memphis, Tennessee said: I am looking to make a career change. I work days therefore i am looking into an online program. Are the online programs taken seriously?

San Juan College!I think it takes one year to finish. All online, accept a few weeks here and there in NM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rece

52 months ago

Hi !

I am currently a OT studet and I was a PTA student last semester. I would not advise you to any PTA OTA PT OT program online. If you can take night or weekend classes. This way you can talke to teachers that have worked in the field one on one. Also soem programs that are online can be rushed and not get deep in to certain things. I changed from PTA ot OT becasue in the city I am in don't hire many PTA's. Keep doing more research and you will have a better idea what you want to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

amodia82 in Chattanooga, Tennessee

52 months ago

kim in Yuba City, California said: does any one know what are the preqs. for pta and how long does it take for the preqs. to finish but the prgram is 2 years but you have to account the preqs. too.

the prereqcts classes is not included in the program it will take you 1-2 years to finish the prereqcts classes depending if take summer classes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

its not included in the 2 yrs program

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

kim in Yuba City, California said: does any one know what are the preqs. for pta and how long does it take for the preqs. to finish but the prgram is 2 years but you have to account the preqs. too.

the preclasses are Anatomy and physiology1-2,math,intro to physics,English(comp.1)psychology,and one elective. it will take you 1-2 years if your going summer classes.. then if you accepted in the PT-A program it will take 2yrs. the pre classes are not really bad.. unlike the program is intense...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kim in Yuba City, California

52 months ago

Kim L in El Dorado Hills, California said: That all depends on how much of your AS degree you have done. Sac City requires all the basics plus 1 years of anatomy/physiology, intro to PTA, and english as prerequites. i would say 3 or 4 semesters. some of it is sequential. you should check out an informational meeting at Sac City they have once a month or so.

good luck.

is there a waiting list in sac. city pz tell me bz im going for the prqs. this semster

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

kim in Yuba City, California said: is there a waiting list in sac. city pz tell me bz im going for the prqs. this semster

Hi Kim,

SCC is more of a lottery depending on how many people apply each year. Last year I didn't get in. There were 85 people who applied for 30 openings. each year is different and you have to apply every time. Just keep plugging away. The prereqs will keep you busy for a while. have you been to an informational meeting??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anna in Beckley, West Virginia

45 months ago

Hello everyone. I am trying to prepare for my licensure exam. I am overwhelmed by the material I have to cover. I cant get a good start. Its so hard to get focused on one part when you know so many others is left. Can anyone help me as to how to get started with the studying process? Just a guideline of how to start would really help.I am in need of serious guidance.Please anyone who have been through this, reply me. Thanks

Kristin in Bettendorf, Iowa

45 months ago

Stephani in Snoqualmie, Washington said: PART 2:

The certification is good no matter where you are. I'm not sure if there is a separate state test for some states (maybe someone else can answer that) but the PTA exam is good state to state. As for if your school's credits transfer (If you leave the program mid stream and need to go elsewhere) I'm sure that varies depending on the school's accredidation status and how transferrable their credits are in general. You'd want to ask before enrolling.

I can't answer the "typical day of a PTA" part, but from the 2 locations I've shadowed (and my own PT experience as a patient) indicates that the PT evaluates and organizes the treatment plan. The PTA then builds the one on one relationship with the patient and tracks their progress. During my shadow at a clinic, the PTA had 2 patients at the same time in different phases of treatment. One, she was doing stim and heat/ice while the other was doing exercises. She asked questions and basically carried on chat conversations, all the while making notes. I LOVED the vibe. The other place I shadowed was a SNF and the man I was with spent most of his time with one patient, a woman with acute arthritis, go through range of motion exercises in her arms and legs. It was harder for me to tell the difference between what he did and what a COTA might do... I have not been in a hospital, but hope to shadow there as well before starting the program.

Best of luck!

There is only one test, but you will have to pay a fee to get a license in another state

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kristin in Bettendorf, Iowa

45 months ago

anna in Beckley, West Virginia said: Hello everyone. I am trying to prepare for my licensure exam. I am overwhelmed by the material I have to cover. I cant get a good start. Its so hard to get focused on one part when you know so many others is left. Can anyone help me as to how to get started with the studying process? Just a guideline of how to start would really help.I am in need of serious guidance.Please anyone who have been through this, reply me. Thanks

I just passed mine a couple months ago...what i did was do one section each day and i made notecards or everything i thought was important. study those that day. the next day go over all the previous notecards again and then do new ones for the next section. next day go over all those notecards and the previous ones and so on so forth til you're done with the sections. then i took the practice exam to see how i was doing. if there was an area i struggled with then i would go back and look through that section again. i hope that helps! i passed my test the first time if thats any reassurance! just remember to relax, stressing does not help at all! good luck :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Adrian in Marietta, Georgia

44 months ago

Rece in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I am currently in PTA Program in St.Louis Community College and it is 2 year program. I love it so far it is alot of work to must be ready to studying also the become a PT is a 7year program frist the BA portion is done then after its required to do 3year in the DTP program. This will get you a Dr not a MA. There is no 4 year PT program anymore =(.. I was bummed to hear that however check out St.Louis Univeristy or Washington University in St,Louis Mo and you could get a better understadning. The PTA program is science based so you must be a strong in science. and I was told that I would make at 35-40 a year in the midwest. I hope this will help. Also check out www.stlcc.edu a look for the PTA program .
You All be Blessed !

Hey Rece,I currently enrolled in PTA program in Marietta,Ga. I actually moved from St.louis in 2006.The program here is pretty tough and persists of a bunch prereqs.My wife also became a RN in st.louis.I've the read the stlcc sites and seems more straight toward the PTA progarm than all these damn prereqs in GA. I wish i'd have went to school for this in st.louis, before HVAC @ loser ass VATTEROTT COLLEGE.Which btw is not accreditiated in GA.Everytime I look @ stlcc PTA progarm compared to the constants prereq tests in GA,I get pissed the hell off.I just about won' come back to stl just to do the PTA program there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

poohbear94 in Morristown, Tennessee

42 months ago

what is the hourly requirements to be a physical therapist assistant please help me need to know right now please

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chelseablais1 in Irmo, South Carolina

41 months ago

I am graduating in june 3 2011 and I am going to midlands technical college for physical therapy do I need my associate degree or do I need a certification please help me

PT in New Castle, Indiana

41 months ago

poop in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I would say that instead of spending 2 years and lots of money to be a PTA it would be better for you to do the ultrasound. If you cannot get the paid ultrasound job than volunteer to work for free for a while as an intern and it will give you contacts and work into a job. That will save you lots of money really. PTA work is too hard physically for someone your age. Even young PTAs/PTs are all in damaged shape due to the job. You would be setting yourself up for major major damage to your body. Sorry. I know from being an OT how physically difficult this job can be. I wish I was an ultrasound tech.

that was rude! i know pleanty of people who have returned to school as "non-taditional" students, meaning later in life, who are excellent PTA's. Yes, it is a LOT more physically demanding than any OT I've ever seen in action. However, if a person feels s/he is up for the challenge, s/he should not be discouraged by the likes of YOU!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ken E. T. in Fenton, Michigan

41 months ago

Hello my question is ...are pta jobs really physical..someone made comment that it is hard on your body?... I'm a 47 year (young) male and I keep my self in pretty good shape...any info (realistic) welcome..thank you for checking in.. this site is great

Jon Marston in Brewster, New York

40 months ago

I'm really in a tricky spot. I'm finishing up my bachelor's degree in kinesiology, I figured about halfway through(junior year) that I wanted to get into therapy so I thought physical therapy is where I should be. I volunteered a ton in a few different facilities but still needed to take chem 1, chem 2, physics 1 and physics too. I tried squeezing both chem and physics in one semester and bombed chem horribly. hardest class i've ever taken. Now that i failed, if I want to go PT I have to do all the prerequisites which will take about 2yrs then reapply to the grad school. I'll be buried in debt if I get into a PT as well so I thought of plan B: PTA school. It's affordable, I won't be debt but I won't ever be a PT. Is it worth sacrificing the time and money trying again for PT school? Or should I go for PTA instead? Do PTA's make decent cash? I can't see it being easy to live off of 40k a year. What type of lifestyle can you support on that salary and is there any room for growth at all salary wise?
thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

craminsc in Greenville, South Carolina

40 months ago

Jon Marston in Brewster, New York said: I'm really in a tricky spot. I'm finishing up my bachelor's degree in kinesiology, I figured about halfway through(junior year) that I wanted to get into therapy so I thought physical therapy is where I should be. I volunteered a ton in a few different facilities but still needed to take chem 1, chem 2, physics 1 and physics too. I tried squeezing both chem and physics in one semester and bombed chem horribly. hardest class i've ever taken. Now that i failed, if I want to go PT I have to do all the prerequisites which will take about 2yrs then reapply to the grad school. I'll be buried in debt if I get into a PT as well so I thought of plan B: PTA school. It's affordable, I won't be debt but I won't ever be a PT. Is it worth sacrificing the time and money trying again for PT school? Or should I go for PTA instead? Do PTA's make decent cash? I can't see it being easy to live off of 40k a year. What type of lifestyle can you support on that salary and is there any room for growth at all salary wise?
thanks!

Hey , just read your comment and I'm in the EXACT same position...I'm about to finish up my B.A in exercise phys. ...I want to to P.T but dont have my 2 chems and 2 physics completed and my GRE scores weren't that great...So now I'm looking into O.T and P.T.A. From what I hear...PTA'S make anywhere from 20-30/hr and are always in demand. Home health and travel PTA'S make bank.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Neeters in Fredericksburg, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

I am currently in high school. I've started to think about college and what I would like to be in the future. I've volunteered at a Physical Therapy program in a hospital nearby. I think a PTA would be more realistic for me. If i wanted to go to a big school, say a four year school. Could i just take classes there and transfer them somehow to become a PTA instead of just going to a two year local program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PTAstudent in Visalia, California

40 months ago

Suze Orman in Denver, Colorado said: Neeters,
Yes, if you get a degree at a four-year school, you should be able to transfer some of your classes (probably about 12 credits of electives) to your PTA degree. However, doing that doesn't make a lot of sense. You will still have two years' worth of PTA classes to take, even if you major in something that is relevant to being a PTA, like kinesiology or anatomy and physiology. I say it doesn't make sense, because if you don't mind the extra years of school, you might as well get your doctorate in PT so you pull in the extra coin that goes with the extra education. You're looking at six years the way you proposed vs. seven years to get the doctorate in PT.
The smart choice, at least in my mind, would be deciding between PTA school (and working on the prereqs right away, which would probably take just a semester) or committing to PT school.
I wish I had thought about being a PT vs. PTA when I was in high school.
Good luck.
Suz.

Neeters,

I'm not sure what your confidence is as a student, but at your age I would get your BS in BIO and go for the DPT.

Another option if you want to get to work more quickly, go for your PTA degree, which will give you some of your pre-req's for your BS degree and the pre-req's to the DPT. Finish up your PTA AA degree and then work part time as a PTA and continue to finish up your BS degree. If you do a BIO degree or a BS business health mgmt degree it will be better than an excercise science degree. While you are knocking out your BS you will also be knocking out your pre-req's for your DPT. And a PTA makes $30/hr, so that's not bad part time while in school.

The only problem with that model would be if you get your PTA deg and never finish the other schooling and you regret not going for the DPT.

Honestly, if you are determined and are absolutely sure this is the field you want to go into, i'd shoot for the DPT. You are so young.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kilee in Mt.Pleasant, Arkansas

40 months ago

I am a senior this year, I graduate May 13, 2011. I was not sure what I wanted to do with my life until I shadowed a PTA. My only problem now is that I am not sure which colleges in Arkansas offer a PTA program. I wanted to join my boyfriend at the University of Arkansas in Monticello, but I am having problems finding out if they offer this program or if they just have some basics. Please help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jaleesa in Pickens, Mississippi

39 months ago

Dalton in Oxford, Mississippi said: my step mom is a physical therapist and my dad is a physical therapist assistant. Somebody on here was wanting to know what a day is like for a physical therapist. Well it requires 4 years of more college but mainly all u do is tell the pta wat to do. my step mom tell my dad wat to do and stuff. she is making about 60 an hour her company pays for her gas to drive to work she sets her own hours and she fills out paper work and thats about it. i mean its pretty simple. my stepmom works 30-40 hrs a week and my dad works 40. well my stepmom makes about 2,000 a week my dad makes about 1,000 so i mean a pta sounds like a good job ha but yea u have to care for the patients and stuff but it really aint that hard i mean ive been to work with them several time and stuff. i am a senior in highschool right now and im gonna start therapy school in the fall of next year

your comment was VERY HELPFUL..

Jon Marston in Cortland, New York

39 months ago

Can your dad work 30-40hrs a week as well? Or did he choose to work 40 hpw?

Rena2008 in Silas, Alabama

39 months ago

I have already been in school to get my basic and ect.. Does anyone know what all classes u have to take?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John Marston in Teaneck, New Jersey

39 months ago

I'm not really sure I understand that question. You need Anatomy 1 & 2 or Bio 111. and a few others like a particular psychology class I think the prereqs vary slightly but for each School Anatomy 1 & 2 are a must.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.