PTA salaries nationwide

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 487)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Aphex in Falls Church, Virginia

62 months ago

Vanessa in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi, I've been working as a PTA for 11 years and i'm currently making $32.50/hr working in an outpatient physical therapy office with minimal benefits( health insurance with a very high co-pay). I wonder, how much is everybody else making? Am i making too much or too little? Where are the better paying jobs? I want nationwide inputs from all the PTAs!!!

I'm not a PTA yet, so I can't answer your questions. But I really had many questions about the profession and the study of PTA. Would it be possible if I interview you via email or chat? I'm starting PTA school in 2 weeks and I'm so excited and scared.

Regards,
Ashraf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

jonny in Mississauga, Ontario

62 months ago

Vanessa in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi, I've been working as a PTA for 11 years and i'm currently making $32.50/hr working in an outpatient physical therapy office with minimal benefits( health insurance with a very high co-pay). I wonder, how much is everybody else making? Am i making too much or too little? Where are the better paying jobs? I want nationwide inputs from all the PTAs!!!

hi im a pta in toronto canada and our salary starts at $14.00 per hr working @ a private clinic, im planning to move to new york and i need some information regarding the state exam, my email is jonny36_2000@hotmail.com first name paul r.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa in Brooklyn, New York

61 months ago

Aphex in Falls Church, Virginia said: I'm not a PTA yet, so I can't answer your questions. But I really had many questions about the profession and the study of PTA. Would it be possible if I interview you via email or chat? I'm starting PTA school in 2 weeks and I'm so excited and scared.

Regards,
Ashraf

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply. Please email your questions to nscpta@netzero.com and i'll gladly answer any questions you might have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

StarrH in Lockport, New York

61 months ago

Hi, I live in the Buffalo area and graduated 13 years ago. I am good at my job, well liked, and make just under 20/hr now. Pitiful, in my opinion. My concern is that the national boards were not required then and if I move out of this state all other states will require it(I think). I've been in outpatient ortho the whole time and wouldn't remember a thing about neuro or peds for example. Any opinions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa in Brooklyn, New York

60 months ago

dinajordan in Bronx, New York said: Hi... Im lookin to change career and one of my dream job would physical therapist and of course I would like to start with pta.
I would like to Know how to get started and what advice anyone can give me.

If you want to be a PT then i advise that u go for PT. There are no bridge programs from PTA to PT in New YOrk. There are currently only two such programs nationwide. I've been a PTA for eleven years and if i can do it over again, i would definitely be a PT right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Saint Louis, Missouri

56 months ago

Not in the Mid-West. After 5 years in outpatient and 8 overall I make under $20 still(OP). Even with an ATC only about $1.75 more in the 5 year time frame.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Boo in Cumberland, Maryland

56 months ago

$32.50/ hour as a PTA in an OP clinic with no debt isn't bad considering you could very well be making that same amount as a DPT with 150k debt. That is what a lot of PTs/DPTs are making an hour. <<in response to the PTA or DPT comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

gtdisciple in Elgin, Illinois

55 months ago

If an employer offers you a low salary what are you supposed to say? can you say you want more money or just say I cant take it? would that be rude?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ziggaro in Denver, Colorado

55 months ago

Some of what you say depends on how you feel about the company and how bad you want to work there. If you still want to work there, keep the conversation going and help them improve the offer. The first thing you say is something nice about the company, why you want to work for them and why you think you'd be a good fit for the job. Then you ask if there's any flexibility to the offer, ideally backed up with information you have learned from what other similar jobs in the area are paying. Remember, if they made you an offer, they are interested in you. They might be willing to pay more to get you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

53 months ago

Joe in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I make $40.00 per visit for home health, plus .40 cents per mile. I have been a PTA for 3 years, and work exclusively in this setting.

Does anyone else work in home health? If so how do our wages compare?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

DavePTA in Pooler, Georgia

53 months ago

I float into home health and make $38 a visit with .52 mileage reimbursement. This is the same for two agencies I work for (one local and one nationwide) with a lower gas reimbursement for the local company. I have 5 years experience. I work full time at a hospital based outpatient facility and make 27.50/hr. The PT's start out at around 26-27/hr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

spinner in Saint Louis, Missouri

53 months ago

Not sure about NY wages and cost of living but generally if you are outpatient making over 25/hr you are doing well. that is a midwest opinion. certainly insurance premiums need to be considered for total wage earned. usually nursing homes and homehealth provide a better income in the rural areas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

the great one in Columbia, Maryland

53 months ago

Well,i'm a PT looking for a PTA to work with me in MD Maryland...Presently we have 2 out/patient clincs and we are willing to offer between 35-40$ per hour Feel free to drop me a line jerrybam1@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

amy in East Meadow, New York

53 months ago

StarrH in Lockport, New York said: Hi, I live in the Buffalo area and graduated 13 years ago. I am good at my job, well liked, and make just under 20/hr now. Pitiful, in my opinion. My concern is that the national boards were not required then and if I move out of this state all other states will require it(I think). I've been in outpatient ortho the whole time and wouldn't remember a thing about neuro or peds for example. Any opinions?

I am in the same boat, anyone know the answer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

melissa in Nitro, West Virginia

49 months ago

Vanessa in Brooklyn, New York said: If you want to be a PT then i advise that u go for PT. There are no bridge programs from PTA to PT in New YOrk. There are currently only two such programs nationwide. I've been a PTA for eleven years and if i can do it over again, i would definitely be a PT right now.

I agree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

happytumbleweed in Los Angeles, California

48 months ago

StarrH in Lockport, New York said: Hi, I live in the Buffalo area and graduated 13 years ago. I am good at my job, well liked, and make just under 20/hr now. Pitiful, in my opinion. My concern is that the national boards were not required then and if I move out of this state all other states will require it(I think). I've been in outpatient ortho the whole time and wouldn't remember a thing about neuro or peds for example. Any opinions?

I think you would do fine, if you just review some basic neuro concepts, and peds developmental milestones. I took my national exam after being out for 8 years and working in outpatient ortho, did fine and passed the exam the first time. You can do it, give yourself a few weeks to review in a relaxed manner, don't review what you already know. The exam is timed and computerized, it's not hard, it's multiple choice.
Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nurse2OTA in Jackson Heights, New York

48 months ago

Vanessa, that is VERY good money...especially if you still have your job in the middle of this recession. I know people with Bachelors that don't make that much. You're making an EXCELLENT wage.

You mentioned that there aren't any PTA-PT schools in NY. Are you unable to go back for PT, then? I'm asking because I'm actually looking to make the switch from Nursing and go into OT or PT. I'm eying LaGuardia CUNY's OT and PT programs, but don't want to make the 2 year commitment if I will be unable to go on for my Bachelors/Masters. I also heard that PT requires a Doctorates now.

Anyone have any advice? I'm in NYC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

damy in Ashtabula, Ohio

48 months ago

i am currently going to school to become a pta, my stepmom started making $40 an hour n just got her yrly raise to $50 an hour in a snf!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

NURSE2PTA in Jackson Heights, New York

48 months ago

Wow Damy, that's AWESOME! :) However, can I ask if she's making that much as a PTA or an actual Physical Therapist? Also, what part of the country pays like this? :-)

I would love to also speak to you more about your GPA upon being accepted into the PTA program. What was your overall GPA and what was your pre-req GPA? I'm in NYC and dying to get OUT of Nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Visalia, California

47 months ago

Joe in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: Does anyone else work in home health? If so how do our wages compare?

Thanks

Joe,
How many visits per day do you average? 7-8 or more?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Blanchard, Oklahoma

47 months ago

Kevin

I average 8 per day. I have made as many as 10 per day, but my sanity was worth more than the money. 9-10 pts per day caused me a day of anxiety. It is nearly impossible for me to stay on time with too many pts. I prefer a pt. count in the 6-8 range per day.

How about you?

Dutchgrlkb in Riverside, California

47 months ago

What State Hospital in CA. It MUST be with an agency the wages with the STATE start at $10.00 an hour!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Visalia, California

47 months ago

$280 per day is a good day. Keeping that average all year makes over $72,000. However, there has to be down months in home health right? Are there a few months that run a little lean?

Kevin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Kevin,

I am PRN, so the only down time I have had is when a company hired a full time PTA. I recovered within about three weeks, and had a full pt. load again. I think the secret is to try and work for several different companies at once. It is similar to investing in a mutual fund. When one stock is down the other can bring you up. This has worked for me. I have not noticed a trend, of any one month being any slower than another.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin E in Visalia, California

47 months ago

Joe in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: Kevin,

I am PRN, so the only down time I have had is when a company hired a full time PTA. I recovered within about three weeks, and had a full pt. load again. I think the secret is to try and work for several different companies at once. It is similar to investing in a mutual fund. When one stock is down the other can bring you up. This has worked for me. I have not noticed a trend, of any one month being any slower than another.

AS a PRN you haven't received any real lulls in the months. Do you think that applies to the PTAs also?

Kevin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Barbara M in Sumner, Iowa

47 months ago

Is anyone from Iowa? What does a traveling PTA make?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PTAmaster in Gainesville, Florida

47 months ago

here in central florida you can expect 90% of the starting salaries for new grads are offering over 30 plus an hr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa Dianne in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

47 months ago

PTAmaster in Gainesville, Florida said: here in central florida you can expect 90% of the starting salaries for new grads are offering over 30 plus an hr.

Which company do you work for? What type of company is it, e.g. SNF, Acute inpatient Hospital, outpatient clinic, Manor, Rehab center, HomeHealth, Travel PTA? I live in South Florida and I don't know anyone starting out anywhere near that in Miami-Dade county or Broward County. That seems very high for a starting rate with zero experience, even for Florida. Thanks for you input.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Darla in Sumner, Iowa

47 months ago

Vanessa in Brooklyn, New York said: If you want to be a PT then i advise that u go for PT. There are no bridge programs from PTA to PT in New YOrk. There are currently only two such programs nationwide. I've been a PTA for eleven years and if i can do it over again, i would definitely be a PT right now.

Can you tell me what those two programs for PTA to PT are? Thanks! Darla K in Iowa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

christine in Milton, Ontario

47 months ago

can someone please briefly elaborate the difference between an OTA and a PTA and which one is more beneficial to society today(salary,job offerings, workfields, etc)

and what is the difference between an LPTA (licensed) between a certified physiotherapist assistant ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa in Brooklyn, New York in Bentonville, Arkansas

47 months ago

I own a therapy company near Dallas Texas and my lowest paid PTA is 48 per hour. We do SNF, home health & outpatient. Anyone interested in this area of Texas, email. I always have openings.
Jeanna@legacycorporate.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No Reply - Report abuse

PTA in Hollywood, Florida

47 months ago

Vanessa/Jeanna,

Do you have a business website for your company? What area near Dallas do your PTAs work in? How many employees/PTAs do you have? How long has your company been around? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Darla in Sumner, Iowa said: Can you tell me what those two programs for PTA to PT are? Thanks! Darla K in Iowa

Darla, Did you ever get an answer to this question ?
Barbara M from Iowa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Are their any P.T.A from Iowa on this forum?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

kverb in Colorado Springs, Colorado

47 months ago

StarrH in Lockport, New York said: Hi, I live in the Buffalo area and graduated 13 years ago. I am good at my job, well liked, and make just under 20/hr now. ANS: GEt into home health PT, you will do fine, the patients are easier,and pay is good, 30-40/hr,or visit, just hard toget 40 hrs ina wk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jasmine Star in Orlando, Florida

47 months ago

NURSE2PTA in Jackson Heights, New York said: Hi again, I also wanted to ask if there is a demand for PTAs and if any of you are unemployed or having trouble finding work?

I spoke to someone who said if I take the PTA route, and then get my Bachelors and apply to DPT program, that it's going to cost me an extra 2-4 years of college. Thing is, from what I have seen, there's not a huge difference in pay from a PTA to a PT...correct me if I'm wrong..I'm seeing an 8-15k difference in PTA/PT yearly salary..and for that, I don't mind taking my sweet time earning a DPT.

I just want to know, before I go into the PTA program, if there actually even is a market. I'm already an LPN and can't stand the catty field of nursing, abuse, and harassment..although I love the actual work. I have my eyes set on PTA...with a passion! More people are trying to get into the OTA program, where I'm at..but for some reason I'm leaning toward PTA...seems like OTAs have more positions open, though...feedback????advise???

Im thinking about getting into the PTA feild and in Florida it's booming I guess it's because this is retirement central.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bhavin in Mount Prospect, Illinois

46 months ago

DavidT in Berwyn, Illinois said: I just moved down to the states from Canada with 1+year of experience and my company started me at $28.77/hour.

making 32.50/hour for outpatient is A LOT. outpatients generally make the least money and SNF make the most.

You have only had one year of experience and are already making 32.50/ hour??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chezbiskit in Temple City, California

46 months ago

An OTA teaches someone how to wipe their ass. A PTA teaches them how to walk away from the smell of their poop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

avidangler in Dublin, Georgia

45 months ago

I NEED HELP! I live in Ga. I work at a manufacturing company doing a production based job making $39-$40k a year. Its a good job but being a production job the older I get, the slower i'll get and the less money i'll make. Not to mention with the economy the way it is manufacturing isn't looking promising long term, so I decided to go back to school to be a PTA. I've done a lot of online research about ptas and decided the job sounded perfect for me. The problem is initially I was under the impression a PTA started out making $36-$40k a year, but after reading some of the forums it seems like this may not be the case. This is a huge risk for me because I have a wife and a new son to support and I wont be able to keep the full time job I have now while i'm in the program due to the distance of the commute i'll have to make and class times. I need to know the risk is gonna be worth the reward. If theres any PTs or PTAs from Ga that can give me some clue of what the average starting salary for a PTA is I would really appreciate it. Classes start in a week so I need to know A.S.A.P. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Look at these links for a PTA in Georgia

This is a link to salarys for PTA's. Shows bottom 10% of PTA's making $36k, I think we can assume these are new PTA's

swz.salary.com/salarywizard/Licensed-Physical-Therapist-Assistant-Salary-Details-Atlanta,%20GA.aspx

This is a link for PTA's in nursing homes. Shows that the bottom 10% make $45k

swz.salary.com/salarywizard/Licensed-Physical-Therapist-Asst-Nursing-Home-Salary-Details-Atlanta,%20GA.aspx

I know that you realize that this job is not about the money, even though it is good. Have you completed any observation hours in various settings, ie. hospital, home health, outpatient, nursing homes? You may want to try this prior to deciding on this career path. Another thought, speak with the school you are thinking of attending and see who they use for clinical sites. You may be able to get a job at one of these sites as a PT aid. This would also allow you to use a school prefered clinical site as a reference for the program. Most PTA programs are very competitive to get in to and this may serve you in several ways.

Good luck,
Joe

ptaforlife in Powder Springs, Georgia

45 months ago

avidangler in Dublin, Georgia said: I NEED HELP! I live in Ga. I work at a manufacturing company doing a production based job making $39-$40k a year. Its a good job but being a production job the older I get, the slower i'll get and the less money i'll make. Not to mention with the economy the way it is manufacturing isn't looking promising long term, so I decided to go back to school to be a PTA. I've done a lot of online research about ptas and decided the job sounded perfect for me. The problem is initially I was under the impression a PTA started out making $36-$40k a year, but after reading some of the forums it seems like this may not be the case. This is a huge risk for me because I have a wife and a new son to support and I wont be able to keep the full time job I have now while i'm in the program due to the distance of the commute i'll have to make and class times. I need to know the risk is gonna be worth the reward. If theres any PTs or PTAs from Ga that can give me some clue of what the average starting salary for a PTA is I would really appreciate it. Classes start in a week so I need to know A.S.A.P. Thanks.

I graduated in 2008, offers ranged from 21-25/ hr due to no experience, PRNs ranged from 33-35/hr, home health ranges 40-45/ visit. Now I make over 30/hr (with reduced benefits) or 28/hr ( if i opted for full benefits. You will definitely make 40-45K a year once you learn how to maneuver the system. However note that there are medicare changes coming down the pipeline, some have already been implemented and we are unsure exactly how therapy salaries will be affected. Good Luck with school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ptaforlife in Powder Springs, Georgia

45 months ago

PS: these are Nursing home figures. some other settings may pay less.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jon in Apopka, Florida

45 months ago

I am a new PTA grad in FL and was offered PRN rate 35/hr in a SNF, 40 hrs guaranteed with sign-on bonus. Is this a good offer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Jon in Apopka, Florida said: I am a new PTA grad in FL and was offered PRN rate 35/hr in a SNF, 40 hrs guaranteed with sign-on bonus. Is this a good offer?

What part of Florida are you in? If they can guarantee 40 hrs per week for a PRN(as needed) position at $35/hr why don't they hire someone full-time. There has to be a catch and most likely it's the fact that the 40 hrs/wk guarantee is temporary, a few weeks/months, and/or no benefits. If you are OK with this uncertainty of not knowing the longevity of this job, then it's a good offer. However, if you want steady, long-term pay, the amount of hours could change on a whim without notice and it may affect your household cashflow/income. So it depends on how comfortable you are with long-term uncertainty. If you need predictable long-term work to pay bills, support a family, etc., it may be less attractive. The pay is certainly good, as it should be since you're taking more risk and uncertainty. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out long-term if you decide to take it. I've been curious about doing this myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jon in Apopka, Florida

45 months ago

I just got the offer letter the other day, and I am still weighing my other options. The offer letter states full time position.
Good feedback, thanks!
I will let you know how it turns out later on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jon in Apopka, Florida

45 months ago

PTA in Hollywood, Florida said: What part of Florida are you in? If they can guarantee 40 hrs per week for a PRN(as needed) position at $35/hr why don't they hire someone full-time. There has to be a catch and most likely it's the fact that the 40 hrs/wk guarantee is temporary, a few weeks/months, and/or no benefits. If you are OK with this uncertainty of not knowing the longevity of this job, then it's a good offer. However, if you want steady, long-term pay, the amount of hours could change on a whim without notice and it may affect your household cashflow/income. So it depends on how comfortable you are with long-term uncertainty. If you need predictable long-term work to pay bills, support a family, etc., it may be less attractive. The pay is certainly good, as it should be since you're taking more risk and uncertainty. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out long-term if you decide to take it. I've been curious about doing this myself.

I renegotiated with the company and I am comfy with the outcome. Here it is ... FT position (not PRN) w/ benefits (i.e. PTO, sick pay, etc) at 35/hr. There is a sign-on bonus as well.
Other PTA's that I know who are working in a SNF in FL for almost 1 year are making below, or at 30/hr w/ benefits.

This is a very good deal for a new PTA grad w/o any work experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Jon in Apopka, Florida said: I renegotiated with the company and I am comfy with the outcome. Here it is ... FT position (not PRN) w/ benefits (i.e. PTO, sick pay, etc) at 35/hr. There is a sign-on bonus as well.
Other PTA's that I know who are working in a SNF in FL for almost 1 year are making below, or at 30/hr w/ benefits.

This is a very good deal for a new PTA grad w/o any work experience.

Yes it is a very good deal. Good job!! They must be desperate at this location. Their demand is much higher than the supply of people willing to live/move to that area. If it's in a rural area where many don't want to live, SNFs will pay much more to attract talent. In the South Florida area, where the supply of PTAs is much higher, I don't know anyone making 35/hr fulltime. I have a feeling they're going to work you really hard for that pay. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jon in Apopka, Florida

45 months ago

I am ready to work very hard and very smart!
Good luck on your next endeavor!

student

45 months ago

I will graduate in may. And I was wondering if anyone is from ky, tn, and would know about the pay scale.
thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Interested In PTA/PT in Orlando, Florida

45 months ago

I live in Orlando Florida and looking into the PTA program. I thought I could complete my AS as a PTA and while working as a PTA I can transfer to a university to complete my BA/M to pursue a DPT?

Also, In Orlando the only schools accredited are Herzing and Seminole State University, any thoughts about these programs?
thanks everyone.
HELP?

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.