PTA school/ salary in northeast OH

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

dani33 in Akron, Ohio

43 months ago

I am considering a carrer change to PTA and the only school around that doesn't have a 3 yr wait list is 1 1/2 hours away from me, is it crazy for me to drive this far everyday to go to school. I was also wondering what the salary is for PTA's in northeast oh Akron/ Cleveland area. I looked online but the range varies so much thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PilatesPTA in Cleveland, Ohio

43 months ago

Hey there! I'm a new grad PTA in NE Ohio and am making $25 an hour with additional bonuses here and there. Most of my friends were offered $21-27 an hour pending the facility (inpatient, Rehab/SNF, or outpatient) and the need of benefits. There are 17 schools in Ohio for PTA. Kent State, Stark State and Tri-C are all close to Akron. It is a very rewarding career and I love my job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

dani33 in Tallmadge, Ohio

42 months ago

Thanks, I was just trying to avoid the 3 yr wait list at all those school, because Kent State is the only one without a wait. Would you recommend the school that you went to? I was also wondering what type of facility you would recommend. And if you don’t mind me asking do you get good benefits and how much vacation do you get? Thank You

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dani33 in Tallmadge, Ohio

42 months ago

I forgot to ask what are the normal hours you usally work 9-5? mon - fri? and do you end up having to work holidays like thanksgiving or christmas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jk35 in Cleveland, Ohio

42 months ago

dani33 in Tallmadge, Ohio said: I forgot to ask what are the normal hours you usally work 9-5? mon - fri? and do you end up having to work holidays like thanksgiving or christmas?

I'm also seeking a career change and looked into the PTA programs in the area. Anything healthcare related is going to be difficult to get into. I know last I looked the Kent Ashtabula campus was not as long as a wait as Tri-C, though I know that's a bit of a hike from the Akron area. My problem with many of these health-related programs is the hours. Most of the courses seem to be during the day while I'm at working making it impossible to change careers without quitting my job and figuring out a way to make a living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

PilatesPTA in Cleveland, Ohio

42 months ago

To dani33- I thoroughly enjoyed my education and experience at Tri-C and recommend it. They recently opened a community outreach clinic too. Allowing student PTA's and student PT's from CSU to get extra hands-on experience with patients. A definite bonus!
I work in a private practice outpatient, part-time because I'm home with my son in the mornings. I worked a 9-5:30 shift, full-time before I had him though. Benefits are okay...but I"m in a private practice, which effects that. But I do receive bonus....recently $450 bonus. I did get a $1,000 sign on bonus as well. All of my CEU's are covered as well. When I was full-time I also got 3 weeks paid vacation. Since I work outpatient we don't work holidays. I got a 4 day weekend at thanksgiving and two 3 day weekends during christmas and new year this year. We aren't open on weekends currently so I only work monday-friday.
I recommend working in a facility that you would enjoy!! I knew I wanted to do outpatient from the get go and am glad with my decision. But the wonderful thing about PT is the diversity! Maybe you would like inpatient or skilled nursing facility. Inpatient normally get great benefits but working holidays especially if your entry level with less seniority. I've heard SNF's are the most flexible with hours. But you want to get into the field because of passion for the people and restoring proper function and muscular balance not because of vacation time and holidays. But I understand the need to know these things as well.
Good luck!

School PTA in Middlefield, Ohio

40 months ago

Graduated from Tri-C! Would recommend a 2-year school. Cost of Kent is higher (thousands of $) compared to a 2-year college (can pay as you go) and remember you come out with the same degree. Several PT are considering PTA school instead because you will have to get your Doctor degree to be a PT (and will be getting paid the same as your colleges with bachelor degrees when you go to get a job). Cost of becoming a PT and 8 years of schooling is crazy. You will be paying off a loan for a long time. Rather go to be a Doctor of 8 years of schooling or go into OT which is still a 6 year degree. I work in the schools, but the schools are staring to get hit hard by funding. Predicted less of a need in schools for PT. I drove 1 hour to tri-c everyday for schooling....so worth it! When you become a PTA you can go to University of Finley everyother weekend program to be qualified as a PT - 3 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

scroft12 in Alliance, Ohio

30 months ago

I am currently a student at Kent State East Liverpool, I live an hour away from my school but choose Kent because Stark State had a 3 year wait list. It was a great decision, Kent has a wonderful program! However, at Kent and most other PTA schools I believe, you must be a full time student during the program, i work weekends now, and its hard at times, but I had to take out loans and rely on family to help me through financially. It will be worth it in the long run, there are plenty of jobs out there and the pay range varies greatly depending on the facility you are in and where you are located. PTA is a great career choice if you love working with people and helping them regain their way of life after an injury, it is very rewarding!

dani33 in Ravenna, Ohio

30 months ago

Thanks scroft12, I decided to go to east liverpool I'm taking two classes right now physics and anatomy 1 and will apply this spring in hopes of getting into the program. Do you have any advice on getting into the program? or the two classes above? I know alot of people apply every year. Thanks

scroft12 in Alliance, Ohio

30 months ago

Just do well in your classes, and be as honest and personable as possible in the interview. The people who will interview are great people with huge hearts, and they want to see that the PTA's coming out of that program are just as caring as they are. So as long as you have a passion for it and you try your hardest, you will be fine im sure! As for the classes, know your anatomy, because you will use it from here on out and it will be beneficial to you to learn it now you will have less stress later!! Physics, try your hardest to get through, in my opinion its a formality class because they teach everything we need to know physics wise in our other classes. Just get through it and you will be fine!! If you need anything else feel free to ask, good luck getting into the program and study hard once you do!! There are times you will feel like its impossible to pull through but you can do it, stay focused!

dani33 in Stow, Ohio

26 months ago

Hi, scroft12 I just got my letter for the interview process and was wondering if you could tell me what kind of questions they ask so that I can better prepare my self. Thanks

scroft12 in Canton, Ohio

26 months ago

Congratulations! They will ask things like what interested you in the physical therapy field in the first place, if you have reliable transportation, why you chose PTA, if you have anything that would keep you from your school obligations..etc, things of that nature. Stay calm, breathe! It may seem scary, but they try and keep it laid back. Congrats on the interview and good luck, I'm sure you will do great!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.