Physical Therapist Assistant- is it a waste of time or a good career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1076)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Coder in Pembroke Pines, Florida

75 months ago

I am looking into a 2 year community college program, please help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (311) / No (85) Reply - Report abuse

Emm in Fort Myers, Florida

75 months ago

What is it exactly you're looking for help with. Locating a program, salary, what it's like being a PTA? What are your interests? One may find it a great career, but for you it may not be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (212) / No (58) Reply - Report abuse

Emm in Fort Myers, Florida

75 months ago

You do have to go to school to be a PTA. As far as how long they last each individual is different.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

HENRY in Chicago, Illinois

74 months ago

I'm thinking about going into PTA. I'm 43 years old. My questions are:
I read some jobs posted on Monster, a PT has to graduate from an accredited Physical Therapy ( CAPTE). If I go for PTA, do I have to choose the school that is CAPTE.
To become a PTA, I need a certificate or have to obtain an associate's degree?
How long does it take to study to become PTA?
Does any one know an accredited Physical Therapy school in Chicago or near Chicago?
Is it easy to get a job as a PTA (entry level, no experience, not not obtaining a license)? (I'm really concerned about it. I had a certificate in Ultrasound and still can't find a job after 8 months graduation due to lack of experience (no place accept me due to lack of experience!!!!)
PLEASE, I BADLY NEED YOUR INFORMATION

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (570) / No (91) Reply - Report abuse

Becky in Largo, Florida

73 months ago

I'm thinking about going into PTA...I know the 2 year degree is required. I have a bachelors degree and took some of those classes that are reuquired for the degree. I'm wondering if anyone has heard of hospitals/offices that do a work/study type program where you can get hands on experience, earning an income while going to school. I live in the Clearwater, FL area, so if anyone knows of anything, that would be helpful! Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (187) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Lauren in Joliet, Illinois

72 months ago

That's a very inspiring story. I'm leaving the corporate world as an ad executive to become a PTA. I'm so excited to start a career that I actually get satisfaction out of. It's hard to give up my past experiences for something completely new but when I hear stories like that, it inspires me to continue reaching for that goal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (72) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

bluelineman in McKinney, Texas

72 months ago

i_torpe_i_18@yahoo.com in Canyon Country, California said: I have a son in High school who is interested in taking the ROP program - introduction to physical therapy assistants. Provided that he does enjoy this class, do you know of any accredited schools in our area that provide this training? We live near Valencia, CA - 30 miles north of LA. Also, my one concern with my son is that his handwriting is very difficult to read - he has always typed everything for school - do you think this would be a problem? Thanks so much for your help!

Here's all the PTA schools in Calif. This is listed on the apta (dot) org website under "student resources", then go to "PT/PTA programs".

Cerritos College
Norwalk, CA

Loma Linda University
Loma Linda, CA

Ohlone College
Fremont, CA

Sacramento City College
Sacramento, CA

San Diego Mesa College
San Diego, CA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

saipeople in kingwood, Texas

72 months ago

hello all, i found some brief notes on job description and salary ranges of PTA's here check this link - www.bls.gov/oco/ocos167.htm

Saipeople
www.saipeople.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Cherise1 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

71 months ago

Becky in Largo, Florida said: I'm thinking about going into PTA...I know the 2 year degree is required. I have a bachelors degree and took some of those classes that are reuquired for the degree. I'm wondering if anyone has heard of hospitals/offices that do a work/study type program where you can get hands on experience, earning an income while going to school. I live in the Clearwater, FL area, so if anyone knows of anything, that would be helpful! Thanks!

Go after a Physical Therapist AIde position! They usually use them in Outpatient facilities :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

J in Jordan, Montana

71 months ago

flossin4u said: Hey, I am also a Dental Hygienist looking to go back to school for P.T.A. I am so glad to see that I'm not the only one burn out and feeling limited. Dental offices seem to be worse than the job itself to me. I feel critiqued and kinda just "watched over" every day. I wish you all the best and let me know what you decide.

If you feel critiqued in Dental Hygiene, I think PTA will be worse. I recommend going to work for someone who respects you and you feel more comfortable with. As a Dental Hygienist you should make $25/hour minimum and many places allow you to work a few days a week. PTAs average $18-19/hour plus benefits and usually work 5 days a week. One of the differences is PTA build relationships with their patients, where as Dental Hygenist keep patients mouth full.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

ron in Apopka, Florida

71 months ago

J in Jordan, Montana said: If you feel critiqued in Dental Hygiene, I think PTA will be worse. I recommend going to work for someone who respects you and you feel more comfortable with. As a Dental Hygienist you should make $25/hour minimum and many places allow you to work a few days a week. PTAs average $18-19/hour plus benefits and usually work 5 days a week. One of the differences is PTA build relationships with their patients, where as Dental Hygenist keep patients mouth full.

What PTA are you talking about?

I am a PTA and I started at 30/hr fresh out of school! I am making 35/hr after 1 year on the job.

One more thing, I don't smell the stink that d. hygienist smell most of the time. I'm sure it will make me throw up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (94) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Brandi J in California

71 months ago

Yes from what I hear PTA's make much more than $19 dollars an hour here in California too! More in the $25-$35 range. I think it really depends on what state you live in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

meg in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: How hard or easy is it to get a job after being done with school? Do most people get a job right away? Do you thinnk most people can get a job where they do their clinical internships?
I am also looking to go back to school for PTA as I have a B.A. now that I am not using. I do have a vision disorder that could get worse but I get around just fine and have great central vision. Since I choose not to drive I know home health is not for me but the job itself is so "hands on". Any thoughts on this for my situation. By the way I read about a legally blind woman who was a PTA for many years.

I think getting a job depends on where you live. Also, if you're not near a PTA school, things tend to be easier. Down here in the DFW area, it's pretty easy to get a job.

I would think that as long as you can safely do the job, it shouldn't be a problem with your vision disorder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Lewisburg, West Virginia

71 months ago

I am having trouble deciding what to go to school in. The 2 area's I am interested is Occupational Therapy Assistant or Physical Therapy Assistant. Please help me decide. I would like to find a career that's marketable and that I will like very well everyday. Please advise anyone...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

ramon in Apopka, Florida

71 months ago

PTA Salary and Job Growth Info - Click or Paste the link below.

hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-where_the_jobs_are-658

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gary in Daytona Beach, Florida

71 months ago

ron in Apopka, Florida said: What PTA are you talking about?

I am a PTA and I started at 30/hr fresh out of school! I am making 35/hr after 1 year on the job.

One more thing, I don't smell the stink that d. hygienist smell most of the time. I'm sure it will make me throw up!

hey ron, im fixing to start pta school next year. What kind of facility do you work at starting at 30/hr? Traviling, Outpatient,hospital?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ron in Apopka, Florida

71 months ago

Gary in Daytona Beach, Florida said: hey ron, im fixing to start pta school next year. What kind of facility do you work at starting at 30/hr? Traviling, Outpatient,hospital?

It's actually $35/hr now, full time w/ benefits. It's a nursing home facility.

You can make $50 per visit if you do home care - per diem, and $35 to $40 an hour if you work full-time with benefits for a home care company. This is for Florida only, I am not sure how much a PTA is paid in other states.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dawn in Daytona Beach, Florida

70 months ago

YOU know I have been a cna for seven years and around 8 months ago I landed a job as a rehab tech in a snf. I am currently a college student undecided about which program to go for, RN or PTA. I am always suprised at how the pt's and pta's seem very content and happy doing their jobs unlike the nurses I have worked around. I know that nursing does give a person a lot of avenues and decent pay, but a lot of them seem constantly stressed out and complaining.I have been reading this forum now for about a week and still undecided about which program to attend. I just want a career that I will enjoy doing for the next 30 or so years and a career that is financially rewarding. Any thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

lovemybulldog in Kirkland, Washington

70 months ago

Tracy, we're in almost the same boat. I am 36 with a 2 year old and a 13 year job with a great company...I just don't love what I do. I have wanted to get in the Sports Medicine or PT field since High School and always felt like there was too much going on in life to go back to school. We are simply not in a position to lose my income, but there are no night/weekend programs for PTA in my state (WA). If I really want to pursue PTA, I must quit my job and sacrifice time with my son and husband. I'll also be sacrificing 5 weeks of vacation, good benefits...the whole 9 yards.

I'm coming to terms with all of that, but we still are working out whether we can actually take on MORE debt, instead of getting rid of it. My husband told me that I picked a really crummy time to want to fulfill my dreams... and I agree to some extent, but I also think in many ways that my timing might be just right. If I can somehow work it out financially, I think I can sacrifice for a couple of years in order to be a happier mom and wife...and have a great set of skills lined up to give me flexibility to work part time later if I chose to stay home with my son or homeschool.

I've visited 3 PT environments in the past week and have gotten great feedback about the salaries and demand in my area. I am certain that I want to do this... but I am still up in the air as to what school I want to go through. One is closer and has an accredited program, but another is a bit further away and is just in the "application" process for certification. That scares me. Of course, that's the school with a less expensive program. I hate to make it about a few thousand dollars, but when you're looking at giving up an entire salary in the first place, it becomes very important!

I am planning to do my pre-reqs in the next year while I am still working. During that time, we are planning to watch the economy, make sure my husband's job stays secure, and work on saving like crazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in West Bloomfield, Michigan

70 months ago

"lovemybulldog", thanks for replying! I totally understand about not loving what you're doing. I used to LOVE my job but since I've had children (7 years ago) something has changed. The grind of coming up with something new and exciting everyday has lost it's spark and I'm longing to do something that makes a difference in this world. I work for GM, and if you haven't heard, they aren't doing so well. There's a good chance that I won't have a job in 6 months. I'm just trying to plan for my future.

My husband isn't totally behind me because we already struggle with work/family balance. He isn't excited about me taking a pay cut to do something else if I don't lose my job. Making more money would be great but I'd rather do something that means something and that I enjoy.

I need to visit some PT environments myself. I have a contact of a PTA that works with the local schools so I plan to go with her and then a few other places. I'm going to give myself a couple weeks to think and research and then if I decide to go for this, I'm going to start the pre-req classes too. I'd love to stay in touch and see how you're doing since it seems like we're starting from the same point.

Thanks again and I'm wishing you the best in your decisions!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Stephani Mrzena in Snoqualmie, Washington

70 months ago

Tracy, This is Lovemybulldog... I lost my login somehow and had to start from scratch.

I'm not sure how I can share my info with you on this forum, but I would love to stay in touch with you and FitCTMom. I feel like we're all making our decisions with similar life situations in play. My husband is a little like yours, but I've at least gotten him to understand that my potential for burnout is more detrimental long term than the few years we would have to sacrifice for this. Visiting clinics and talking to other PT's and PTA's helped me greatly. I did read FitCTMom's comments about not loving the program the way she thought she would and I'll take that into account. Like both of you, I can't very well afford (money or time away from my family) to dive into something and then either quit or find out it wasn't what I wanted. My gut tells me that if I see it thru to the end, I will be glad I did and enjoy the job as much as I'm imagining now. I have already told myself that the school work will be hard, but seeing the end of the tunnel is a huge motivator. Getting it all out of the way now **FOR THE SAKE OF MY SON** is also a gigantic motivator.

The reality of it all is that we might not be able to afford for me to do this without making a drastic change in the way we invest, how we spend and maybe even our mortgage. This puts a lot of pressure on my husband and my son to sacrifice and work harder...all so I can better myself. As a mom, I'm sure you understand the guilt I feel. I think lately on a daily basis: why in the heck didn't I make this decision 10 or 15 years ago? What was the hold up then? I had almost nothing to lose and everything to gain: No mortgage, no kids, hardly any bills, and a much smaller salary to sacrifice. I wonder a bit now if I'm going to end up watching the ship sail past me because of the costs and sacrifices associated.

At the risk of inviting the whole board to email me: ssmrzena@comcast.net Would love to keep in touch!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

polka in Encinitas, California

70 months ago

Is this a starting salary w/ experience? how much is the starting salary w/ no experience yet? i`m planning to work in a home health setting or SNF any idea?

thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Fort Mill, South Carolina

70 months ago

Tracy in West Bloomfield, Michigan said: Hi. I am looking at changing careers and I'm 38. I'm looking into being physical therapy assistant. It's a bit over-whelming, since I'm a graphic designer and changing at my age but I want to do something that actually helps people. Is there anyone that went for their associate degree in PTA, a little later in life while working and maintaining a young family? I know this will be very challenging. Can anyone give me some advice or insight?

Also, I'm not the best in math. Is this something that would hinder me from working in this field?

Thanks in advance for any advice or knowledge!!

Hi Tracy we are in the same boat!!! I am 37 and completely changing careers...I have 2 children and am being laid off after 11 1/2 in the technology field. I am scare to death, but think the benefit of this career will be well worth the challenges of juggling, school, family and a part time job (hopefully). I just really want to give back. Best of luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MAT08 in Northridge, California

70 months ago

Suriya PT Services in Los Angeles, California said: if you thinking bout the money PTAs are paid well i pay my PTAs $50 per home visit... so if they see 8 patients a day thats $400 a day... and lets say they work only weekdays so thats around 20 days a month = $8000
by the way if you know any PTs or PTAs around LA and San bernardino county, CA refer them to me :) i_torpe_i_18@yahoo.com

Hello, I am a PE teacher at a middle school and hating it. I graduated recently at a university with a kinesiology degree and I was planning to go into PT but decedied that it was too long (the schooling) . I have 4 years of PT aide experience and also getting my massage license in July of this year. I needed some advise, I am planning on applying for the equivilance license for PT assistant; what are some advice you can give me? I would like to be a traveling PT assistant and I love working with people. Being a teacher was just too depressing and the school system is terrible (I just kind of fell into it when I decided I didn't want to go for my PT degree; too long:( ).

Please I need some advice before I send my application to the Boards. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Stephani Mrzena in Snoqualmie, Washington said: Lisa,

Lisa, I am in a similar situation. Although I haven't been laid off, I am considering leaving IT to do something that will really give back. I too worry about juggling everything and not short changing my family in the meantime. I would love to hear more about the path you take. There seem to be several of us looking to make similar decisions right now, so we should definitely stay in touch. I posted my email address a few posts up. Feel free to contact me if you like.

Best of luck in your decisions. I'm right there with you. It's scary to start from scratch!

Hi Stephanie good to hear from you! I am also looking into Occupational Therapy as well. Since I will be laid I am thinking of doing some observations with each kind of team and that way if I go with OTA I will have 25 hours of required observation time in. I have many pre-reqs to get out of the way so I am thinking of starting over the summer. I've worked in IT\Telecomm for so long it all seems so foreign but sometimes you just gotta say "what the heck" and go with your gut and faith! my email is lmsamuel@comporium.net feel free to email anytime. Keep me posted on your path as well.

Lisa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dr. Sal d.c. in San Diego, California

70 months ago

Hi I am a chiropractor and I wanted to take the pta equivalency, but I dont know where to start, can anyone point me in the right direction, or tell me the procedure. I have visited the board website, but am still confused a bit. Any info would help. Thank in advance... cheers!

Dr. Sal

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Dr. Sal d.c. in San Diego, California said: Hi I am a chiropractor and I wanted to take the pta equivalency, but I dont know where to start, can anyone point me in the right direction, or tell me the procedure. I have visited the board website, but am still confused a bit. Any info would help. Thank in advance... cheers!

Dr. Sal

My first question is why? You have a lot more autonomy & $$$ staying in your current profession.

You need to go to your state's licensing agency and ask them -
Physical Therapy Board of California.
Go to ptb (dot) ca (dot) gov

There is a link "how to apply for a license". I believe you would be classified as "Equivalency PTA applicant". They also have their contact info on the website.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

I want to supplement my practice with physical therapy, and to be honest, the chiropractic side of the reimbursement pie is getting smaller and smaller... this will hopefully help supplement my practices billing income...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

There is a link "how to apply for a license". I believe you would be classified as "Equivalency PTA applicant". They also have their contact info on the website.

I went there and it says that I need 18months of direct pt (supervised) experience... how would I do this? As an aide?? if so how much do physical therpay aides make per hour?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa S in Minneapolis, Minnesota

70 months ago

I have been laid off since May of 2008. I am 45 years old and I am wondering if I'm too old to go to school for PTA. With all of the prereq. required I will be 49 or 50 by the time I'm done...you can only start in the Fall...if you are accepted in January and have all of your prereq's done. I am not in excellent shape, but it would give me an incentive to work a bit harder at it! I am also only 5ft 2in tall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

The way I look at it, your gonna be 49 or 50 anyways so if this is something you've always wanted to do I say go for it! I am 37 and starting school as well I am now leaning more towards OTA and thought the same thing...but you only go this way once and I really want to accomplish this.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

bigredga in Albany, Georgia

70 months ago

how do I post a discussion?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Dr. Sal d.c. in San Diego, California said: I want to supplement my practice with physical therapy, and to be honest, the chiropractic side of the reimbursement pie is getting smaller and smaller... this will hopefully help supplement my practices billing income...

Keep in mind that a PTA has to work under the supervision of a licensed PT. Each state is a little different. In Texas, it can be indirect supervision, they have to be a phone call away, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Dr. Sal d.c. in San Diego, California said: There is a link "how to apply for a license". I believe you would be classified as "Equivalency PTA applicant". They also have their contact info on the website.

I went there and it says that I need 18months of direct pt (supervised) experience... how would I do this? As an aide?? if so how much do physical therpay aides make per hour?

I guess an aide position would be the easiest way. They don't get paid much. Each area is different. Here, I think they make $8-10/hr. See if you can talk to a local PT & see if they can help you out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

I've decided its quicker to take the 4 semester than fulfill the 6000k hours as an aide being paid $8 an hour. The system seems designed to deter people from taking that route. Thank you for all who helped me out with this...cheers!

Sal

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Charleston, West Virginia

70 months ago

Sharon in Lewisburg, West Virginia said: I am having trouble deciding what to go to school in. The 2 area's I am interested is Occupational Therapy Assistant or Physical Therapy Assistant. Please help me decide. I would like to find a career that's marketable and that I will like very well everyday. Please advise anyone...

I live in your neck of the woods, and will be starting community college (New River) this summer to start working on the prerequisites for either COTA or PTA. I am still undecided although leaning more to PTA at this point.
from all my research I have found that the pay seems to run neck and neck. There always seems to be more (by a small margin) PTA jobs in our area then Cota jobs. for Cota you will see many postings, but would have to travel pretty far to work. I have found one job in Ronceverte. and the hospital had posted a part time job a few weeks ago. I have found a total of 5 PTA positions. 2 where part time, one was in beckley, and two where in W.S.S nursing home.
I am trying to find out now If going for your B.S in either field would help you in any way as far as preference to hire, and if financially it helps your wages at all. (MSU) offers a B.S for anyone with an associate degree in PTA or COTA.
anyway, maybe ill see you at school! lol
Jen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

darlamauer@yahoo.com

70 months ago

Lauren in Joliet, Illinois said: I'm looking for a rewarding career where I can feel good about helping people without having to get into nursing or take the time/money of going back to school to pursue a higher education. I'm concerned that the job may be too physically intensive that I may not be able to keep up it as a permanent career. Do you know how long PTA's normally last in the industry? Do many leave to pursue a higher education or a different career entirely?

Hi this is darla , I,m from Deming New Mexico, and i just want to say that it is not as hard as you might think it is,as far as physical work that is, and I think it pays very well, You might cosider also to try Theraputic massages in your own home also, you can charge anywhere between 25 dollars to 45 dollars every 30 minutes, It,s very easy to get started.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Lewisburg, West Virginia

70 months ago

Thanks Jen from WV.

I am leaning toward PTA, just simply it is more marketable I found around here. I also talk to someone that did job shadowing and she found the OTA was mainly nursing homes. I wanted to work with a varity ages.

Thanks again, I may see you at MSU. I also going to do some of the prerequist at the New River comm College in Lewisburg if possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Charleston, West Virginia

70 months ago

at new river you can get your prerequisites in the following
anatomy and physiology
lab
prin of psychology
English comp 1 and 2
beginning algebra

the anatomy and physiology are 3 credits here, and at MSU they require 4 so a credit in biology has to be made up here somewhere.

computer proficiency I do not think is offered here but not 100% sure
med ethics and lab
pric communication in health care
these two are not offered here and have to be taken at MSU.

the 40 volunteer hours have to be turned in by January. and I'm not 100% sure about this but looks like all prerequisites have to be completed by January in order to transfer to MSU by next May.
I'm calling them tomorrow.
as i start here for summer classes.
hope this has been helpful!
Jen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jpr3030 in Rowley, Massachusetts

70 months ago

Well, I can tell you that after completing two clinicals the only really challenging thing about this field is individual personality differences within your department. Also, the fact I'm a guy MAY have something to do with my experiences in a traditionally female dominated field. I came from the business realm in sales, so I am good at conflict resolution however, I had my clinical experiences "blindly" chosen for me. I know that when I get a job, I will be able to screen my superior more closely.

Stephani in Snoqualmie, Washington

70 months ago

Hi there... I fell off the map for a while, but have been watching the PTA conversations. My apologies to the ladies here that I promised to email but haven't. You know how it is, I know!

I have another question/dilemma in line with this thread. I am getting very close to starting prereq's. Hubby is "almost" on board with me quitting my job to enter a PTA program, but the deal is that I juggle it all up to that point, meaning I work, maintain mommy excellence, and handle prereq's....Then, if the economy and income status are stable enough, I can quit and give this my all. Here's the dilemma:

Of the two schools I'm considering, one is accredited and has a PTA program that has been around since the 80's. I haven't talked to current or graduating students there, but their enrollment vs. graduating stats look good. I'm comparing it against a school that is slightly cheaper (by about 2.5k) and closer (by about 20-30 minutes round trip), but isn't accredited yet. PTA is a new program for them and the pending enrolled class will be their first graduating class, THEN they'll get their accredidation status. I met with a counselor there yesterday and she indicated that they are still building their teaching staff for the program. I want to do my prereq's with the school that I ultimately enroll for PTA, but can't determine which is a bigger challenge: The accredidation and staffing issues at one school, or the distance and higher tuition at the other school.

Any thoughts or gut feel from those who have BTDT or in a similar boat of comparing schools? Ultimately, I have to treat this just like I'm taking a position with a company. Giving up a large chunk of income and time with my family is extremely significant. If I do this, it will be all or nothing. I definitely don't want to make a rash decision (school choice) and then regret it later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jpr3030 in Rowley, Massachusetts

70 months ago

One of the main considerations you should make is quality of teaching/staff. I'm a sophomore in the PTA program and had 5 students join our class from the same college at the start of the year. They said that of 30 people who started the program, only 7 of them were left, 5 of which came to our program. So you should speak to the students about the quality of the staff. I'm pretty sure that'll be a difficult thing with the school which is unaccredited and is building their staff.

Kim L in El Dorado Hills, California

70 months ago

I've applied to a PTA school for fall, hoping to get in.
from everything i've read, it's so important to go to an acredited school. and a more experience teaching staff will be able to guide you much better than people who are still learning. the teacher makes a class what it is, good or bad.

maybe you can do your prereq's at the closer school and transfer them over. that is what i am doing.

lastly, do fill out the government FAFSA. you may qualify for some free aid for school. not sure how it works in other states, but for me, i have my tuition paid for and i buy the books, parking pass, etc. It helps a lot. i hope it lasts, CA is trying to double our unit price.

don't try to take too much while you're working / family, especially with anatomy / physiology. I'm a single mom, also working part time, i've been taking 2 classes a semester for a while but you do get through it.

good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stephani in Snoqualmie, Washington

70 months ago

Thanks JPR and Kim L. Everything you say is exactly what I was thinking when I met with the counselor yesterday. I'm so nervous about considering a program with shaky staffing... as it is, the closer school has put off starting their program from Winter, to Spring, and now maybe until Fall because they are having a hard time finding a staff. It's just one person right now, and although that issue could iron itself out by the time I'm ready to start, I just don't know how comfortable I am taking the risk. What if they don't find a staff or continue putting off the already enrolled class? I can see them scrapping the program or changing the acceptance process. The accredidation thing bugs me too. At this stage in my game, am I really interested in being part of a "start up" program?

Still a lot to think about since the two schools have different prereq requirements, but no teachers with a brand new curriculum doesn't sound like the stability I'm looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Therapyrecruiter in Saint Ann, Missouri

70 months ago

HENRY in Chicago, Illinois said: I'm thinking about going into PTA. I'm 43 years old. My questions are:
I read some jobs posted on Monster, a PT has to graduate from an accredited Physical Therapy ( CAPTE). If I go for PTA, do I have to choose the school that is CAPTE.
To become a PTA, I need a certificate or have to obtain an associate's degree?
How long does it take to study to become PTA?
Does any one know an accredited Physical Therapy school in Chicago or near Chicago?
Is it easy to get a job as a PTA (entry level, no experience, not not obtaining a license)? (I'm really concerned about it. I had a certificate in Ultrasound and still can't find a job after 8 months graduation due to lack of experience (no place accept me due to lack of experience!!!!)
PLEASE, I BADLY NEED YOUR INFORMATION

PTA's are in demand! If you don't limit your focus on what area of therapy to practice in, you will have more opportunties available. Be open to SNF, LTC, acute and hospital settings. There are plenty of positions with companies like Enduracare for PTA's for full-time, part-time and PRN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lmsamuel in Fort Mill, South Carolina

69 months ago

I am still trying to decide if I want to go to school for OTA or PTA...any advice from folks out ther in either field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

mjgj in Springfield, Massachusetts

69 months ago

khyotter in Mcallen, Texas said: I have been a PTA for 30 years and I must say it has been a wonderful and rewarding career. It is definetely not a waste of time - I am making an incredible salary and have never, ever went without work. One day recently I was contacted by 3 different recruiters in the same day! If you love people and want to make a difference in someone's life then go for it.

Do you mind me asking what your salray is? I know it is different everywhere but just want to get an idea. (I am in Western MA)Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lissa W. in Escondido, California

69 months ago

I was in a nursing program, and stopped after one semester. It was to stressful and truthfully I didn't like what I was doing. All the meds, I.V. & medical procedures was to much for me. I just started looking into PTA and it seems like it is not as "stressfull" of a career path and yet really rewarding in working with people. For current PTA's I was wondering what are some things you do not like about your job?
ALso, I was curious, I know it is not often pursued, but has anyone heard of someone going from a PTA to a PT? Is it really difficult? Are you somewhat more prepared? Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shauna in Euless, Texas

69 months ago

Does anyone know whether PTAs are often faced with bad odors? Or bodily fluids? I'm trying to decide if I want to be an English teacher or go the PTA route, but I don't tolerate putrid smells very well. I recently lost my editing job at an ad agency, which was great, because I was tired of the isolation. I enjoy working with and helping people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shauna in Euless, Texas

69 months ago

Thank you, BlueLineMan! I was hoping you'd be the one who replied, since I live nearby in Denison. (I don't know why this thing says Euless.) Do PTAs in McKinney make $30 an hour to start, or is it less?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.