Physical Therapy Assistant versus Occupational Therapy Assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Laurie Bugnacki in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

53 months ago

I'm 59 years old now. I have always been interested in Physical Therapy.
Am I too old to go back to school for either physical therapy assistant and occupational therapy assistant? I have taken courses in Medical Assisting and done well in x-ray lecture and anatomy.
But at that time I was in my early thirties.
Please reply to this
answer.
Sincerely,
Laurie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Laurie Bugnacki in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

53 months ago

Laurie Bugnacki in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I'm 59 years old now. I have always been interested in Physical Therapy.
Am I too old to go back to school for either physical therapy assistant and occupational therapy assistant? I have taken courses in Medical Assisting and done well in x-ray lecture and anatomy.
Please reply to this
answer.
Sincerely,
Laurie

Can someone closer to my age respond and let me know if I am too old to go back to school. I got layoffed my job in 2008 and I would like to have a new career. Please help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PJA in Bordentown, New Jersey

53 months ago

Hi Laurie. You have a goal...you want to be a PTA or a OTA how else will you get there if you don't go after it! To answer your question...NO you are not to old to go after your dream. I know because I was in the same boat as you. I worked in the corporate world for 21 years! My company decided to 'outsource' the department in 2008; myself and 112 other people were let go. Sure, you get pissed, you grieve for a while (especialy in today;s economy)and then you pick yourself up and move on. I received a generous severence package. I went to school to fullfill my 'dream' to become a Personal Trainer. Now that I am a certified trainer..working part-time. I also am almost done my college Physical Therapy Asst. course to become a PTA. All of this in just a little over 2 years. Oh yeah, I will turn '50' years old on my birthday in November. Go after your dream job Laurie. Nothing can stop you unless it is you....

Good Luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim L in El Dorado Hills, California

53 months ago

Just to mention, Laurie, in the PTA program in Sacramento there is a student who is 64. I say go for it. Education is never wasted and you never know where it will lead. There are so many types of places you could work and help people. Stay healthy, stay strong, and keep studying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sue Sillen in pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

53 months ago

Laurie Bugnacki in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I'm 59 years old now. I have always been interested in Physical Therapy.
Please reply to this
answer.
Sincerely,
Laurie

Laurie,
I just graduated from my PTA program in May at the ripe old age of 56. Go for it! You are never too old. Education is the BEST investment you can make in yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.