How did you finance PTA school?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

jrmavc in AV, California

23 months ago

Hi everyone,

How did you finance your PTA schooling?

I am planning to attend a community college. I am not sure if student loans are given to students for community colleges. I am thinking I would want a loan sufficient enough to just focus on going to school/studying, and work minimally.

Please advise.

This is my 2nd time going to school. I already have an AS degree in another health profession that is incredibly swamped! There's no jobs at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jrmavc in AV, California

23 months ago

Can anyone please reply?

PTAgirl in Concord, California

23 months ago

My school (Sac City) did not participate in the federal student loan. When I tried to get a Sallie Mae loan the school name was not there and it was not possible. The school was no help at all.

I ended up taking out a loan on my paid for car at the credit union. I borrowed enough for the loan to make its own auto payment for the time i was in school and a little after. I am now making the payments.

It's not ideal but it was creative. That was a couple of years ago, so not sure what they did, as a lot of people needed the help to get through second year clinicals where you could not work. I did work part time throughout the program to supplement, but I was self employed and very flexible.

jrmavc in AV, California

22 months ago

PTAgirl in Concord, California said: My school (Sac City ) did not participate in the federal student loan. When I tried to get a Sallie Mae loan the school name was not there and it was not possible. The school was no help at all.

I ended up taking out a loan on my paid for car at the credit union . I borrowed enough for the loan to make its own auto payment for the time i was in school and a little after. I am now making the payments.

It's not ideal but it was creative . That was a couple of years ago, so not sure what they did, as a lot of people needed the help to get through second year clinicals where you could not work. I did work part time throughout the program to supplement, but I was self employed and very flexible.

PTAgirl, so you're a PTA already correct?
If you don't mind I'd like to see if I can ask you some questions.
I have a PTA friend in Merced, CA whom I've tried contacting through facebook, but I've had no luck getting replies from him. I guess he's having a blast being a PTA! :p

Let me know if you're willing and I will give you my email address.

Learning Something New Everyday in California

22 months ago

jrmavc in AV, California said: PTAgirl, so you're a PTA already correct?
I have a PTA friend in Merced, CA whom I've tried contacting through facebook, but I've had no luck getting replies from him. I guess he's having a blast being a PTA! :p

Hello, jrmavc I was wondering if you could tell me about going to Sac city for there pta program? I'm in the central valley and want to go to this community college.

PTAgirl in El Cerrito, California

22 months ago

jrmavc in AV, California said: PTAgirl, so you're a PTA already correct?

Hello. I am a PTA now. I'm 4 months into my first job as a traveler. I would be happy to answer any questions. send on your email. :)

22 months ago

Learning Something New Everyday in California said: Hello, jrmavc I was wondering if you could tell me about going to Sac city for there pta program? I'm in the central valley and want to go to this community college.

I graduated from Sac City last year. They have a monthly informational meeting where your questions can be answered directly and you can see the place. I feel it is a very organized program and they prepare you well for entry level PTA work. Feel free to ask any questions here too.

22 months ago

PTAgirl in El Cerrito, California said: Hello. I am a PTA now. I'm 4 months into my first job as a traveler. I would be happy to answer any questions. send on your email. :)

My email is l-robinson2347@sbcglobal.net

22 months ago

PTAgirl in El Cerrito, California said: I graduated from Sac City last year. They have a monthly informational meeting where your questions can be answered directly and you can see the place. I feel it is a very organized program and they prepare you well for entry level PTA work. Feel free to ask any questions here too.

Hi! I read the pre-reqs online but I still have some questions. I'm not very strong in math and I was wondering if I would still be able to do either the OTA or PTA program? I work as a school bus driver and was also wondering how I was going to work that out on my schedule.

jrmavc in you'll never know, California

22 months ago

PTAgirl in El Cerrito, California said: Hello. I am a PTA now. I'm 4 months into my first job as a traveler. I would be happy to answer any questions. send on your email. :)

mrviolentlyhappy@yahoo.com - please email me so I know who I am sending emails too. Thanks PTAgirl

22 months ago

Learning Something New Everyday in California said: Hi! I read the pre-reqs online but I still have some questions. I'm not very strong in math and I was wondering if I would still be able to do either the OTA or PTA program? I work as a school bus driver and was also wondering how I was going to work that out on my schedule.

I believe that algebra is a prerequisite and requirement for the AS degree. Math is not a big focus in the program. I am unsure of the OTA program. As far as your schedule......for the prerequisites you could probably work around your schedule. But the PTA program is a set time and very involved. and the second year has two 6-week full time internships that make it very hard to work at all.

Go to a meeting and see if it's something you want to do. They are very helpful. I went to a few in my decision making process and while I was waiting to get in. You have to get creative to make it work for your situation.
Good Luck.

22 months ago

PTAgirl in El Cerrito, California said: I believe that algebra is a prerequisite and requirement for the AS degree. Math is not a big focus in the program. I am unsure of the OTA program. As far as your schedule......for the prerequisites you could probably work around your schedule. But the PTA program is a set time and very involved. and the second year has two 6-week full time internships that make it very hard to work at all.

Go to a meeting and see if it's something you want to do. They are very helpful. I went to a few in my decision making process and while I was waiting to get in. You have to get creative to make it work for your situation.
Good Luck.

Okay i'll try to make it to a meeting, thank you for the info.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.