What is the most you can make being a PTA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

DaveMan in Pepperell, Massachusetts

61 months ago

I'm hearing its about 60k. Is there really a cap around there or can you reach say 80k after so many years experience? Also, are there ANY advancement opportunities in this field? Like could you get promoted to some kind of manager?

I like the idea of doing PTA, but the salary sounds too limiting from what I hear. I also don't have the time/money to go back to become a DPT. Just seeing what potential is here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

bump

61 months ago

Anyone? I want to become a PTA but am worried that the most I could make would be around 60k in my lifetime. I have BS in management will that help? Can you eventually get promoted to management and make good money?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JUtah

61 months ago

I'd also like to know as this is kind of the deciding factor for me for this occupation. It sounds interesting and rewarding, but I don't want to cap out at $40-50K.

JUtah

61 months ago

I'd also like to know as this is kind of the deciding factor for me for this occupation. It sounds interesting and rewarding, but I don't want to cap out at $40-50K.

PTA in Weston, Florida

61 months ago

To understand the "cap" you must first understand that PTAs are paid by the hour, not salary, and this is enforced by most companies' HR department. With that in mind, you can now determine the true cap, which is highly dependent on location. A PTA working in a remote town of McAllen, Texas, on the Texas/Mexico border might get paid $80,000 per year, cause no one wants to work at these rural(sometimes high-crime, poverty-stricken) locations. In Florida, the highest I've seen is about $35/hr at an SNF in a rural area of Florida. Outpatient or a private practice pays $21-$23/hr, much less. Now, someone working 2,080 hrs per year will cap at $72,800 at this $35/hr payrate. However, there are PTAs who make over $100K per year. How? By working many hours, 60-70 per week. How? By working multiple jobs, for example they may have 40 hr/wk full-time job, but work more doing PRN/per-diem on the weekends at hospitals or SNFs. Also, there are PTAs who work 13-week assignments all over the country, mostly sent to rural areas, they too can get past the cap. Someone working HomeHealth for 3-4 companies simultaneously can also break the cap. There is definitely a cap for PTAs and it comes early, within the first 3 years, but it's the per-hour that is capped. If you're willing to work more hours, you can make more. There are plenty of opportunities to work as many(or as few) hours as you want. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.