How many hours a week do you work during PTA school?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

DaveMan in Groton, Massachusetts

52 months ago

Do most of you live with your parents or bf/gf during the program? I am older and would have to live at home with parents from the ages of 26-28 in order to do the program. I would like to work at least part time to make money, but how many hours a week is feasible?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Shingle Springs, California

52 months ago

Dave,

I'm in the second year and work about 20 hours a week but I have a flexible job. Some are working more and it's hard.

Dave, you are not "older"........you would be considered in the middle of my class. I'm 45 and moved home to do this. How else do you do this?? I still took out a small loan to get through clinicals when I cannot work.

Don't sweat it, it's a couple of years and then you have a new career.

I'm on a boat in Clearwater, Florida

52 months ago

DaveMan,
If you have a flexible job, 10-20 hours a week should be doable. The tough part is when it comes time for clinicals, which are often M-F regular business hours or clinic hours (sometimes 7a-7p). If your employer isn't willing to work with you, well, you're out of a job. My classmates who worked full-time were burned out and didn't get nearly as much out of the program as they could have. If it's an option, working as a rehab aide or PT aide will give you a huge edge when it comes time to getting your first PTA job. Aide jobs don't pay well, but they complement what you learn in the classroom.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Ok thanks guys. Besides being a PT assistant do you know what others are doing for "flexible" jobs? I would like to have one lined up for when the time comes. Right now my job is strictly full time so I will have to leave there for something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

by the way I meant to say PT aide not assistant in the above post.

Sam in Fairfax, Virginia

52 months ago

You definitly need a flexible job 1st semester i was working everyday after class for 25 hrs a week and it was a struggle. I cut down my hours to 15-20 a week and it was better since i wasnt working every day. During clinical rotations you will be there full time so its hard to work during week days so keep that in mind and find a flexible job that you can work on weekends when needed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Knoxville, Tennessee

50 months ago

We had several people in our program who worked the first semester (from 15-25 hours/week). Most of them quit work by the second semester because of the intensity of the coursework. We are at the end of our 2-year program, and one person is still working 25 hours a week--but she already had a BS in Exercise Science, is an athletic trainer, and the people at the clinic where she was working (as an aide) are paying for her tuition. So I think it's doable, but tough, depending on your background.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.