pta licensure exam review course

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 1426)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Michelle in FL

69 months ago

Lainey in Pontiac, Michigan said: To Michelle in FL-
A lot of PTA students work as contingents (aide or tech level) in PT and get known for a chance of hiring. Also when you do your internships at clinicals or hospital you may find they are hiring and you may want to pursue that. In my class a lot of my classmates had job offers before we ended our program. It helps to do the clinicals to find out where your interests are... sometimes you think you know what you want and then you go and experience it and find it is not the area you want to be in, (example: Rehab setting, hospital setting vs. outpatient facilities). It is a rewarding field where ever you end up... if you care- you will make a difference where ever you are. I think PTA's are in demand everywhere there are PT's. We are cheaper labor costs and we are a big help to the PTs. Some places may have a Freeze on hiring right now because of the state of the economy. Best wishes to you.

I'm going to have to bust my hump with prereq's just to boost my GPA and what else can I do to get my foot in the door as a PTA student. I want it but there is soooo much you have to go thru. I am willing to do it but...wow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

bluelineman in McKinney, Texas

69 months ago

Tom in Nashville, Tennessee said: Is the Giles book pretty expensive, and is Amazon the best place to find it? What's the title of it? Did you do any other reviewing/studying, and how long did you review the book?

Yes, Amazon is probably the best source. You might want to google as well. The title is - "PTAEXAM: The Complete Study Guide (Scorebuilders)". Maybe you can find a used one. Make sure to look at what year it was published to get the latest one.

I took my boards over 10 years ago, so I don't remember, but I'm sure I studied it for a few months.

bluelineman in McKinney, Texas

69 months ago

The author is Scott M. Giles

Tom in Nashville, Tennessee

69 months ago

Thanks man, I'm definitely going to check it out!! I really need to move on this, and I'm finding out there's more material than stars in the sky!! Thanks again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

iwrist in Chicago, Illinois

69 months ago

hema devnani in Austin, Texas said: hello, i have joined this forum recently. can anybody please give me basic guidelines about getting the credential evulation done for NPTE for texas state. i m an international student and know little about the procedure. please do mail me at hemadevnani@gmail.com..i would appreciate any kind of help. thanks.

Did you go to www.ecptote.state.tx.us? It has all the info on OT and PT for the state of Texas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

J in Jordan, Montana

69 months ago

michelle said: I tryed to email you some questions and it says messagefailed, do you have any other email address?

1: If I am licensed in one state will I be licensed in all or do I have to take
an exam for the state I am moving to? To take the test you must apply to one of the state's PT boards. The National Exam is offered in all states and if you apply for a license in IN or IL, you can take the test at a Florida Prometric Center. If you want to transfer your license to another state, you have to apply to another state's PT board. A passing exam score is good there also unless your license is expired.

2: What state has the highest need for PTA's? Texas probably. Getting a job should be easy in Florida and probably in all states. Physical therapy facilities pay big bucks to recruit PTAs.

3: Where is the best place for a beginner PTA to apply?
a. If you want finding a job to be easy, place your resume (minus names) on the internet with your email or phone. Recruiters will contact you. A recruiter called me based on my email address. He made the interviews so easy and took the work and tension out of job hunting and interviewing. Hospitals pay lots of money to find PTAs.
b. In your first year you know just enough to be dangerous. It is important for you to get the best supervising PT in your first year because they can make or break you. I recommend one that has worked in the field 20 years, has experience with many new PTA graduates, and has a long checklist of things for you to learn.

4: Is there anything I can do to better my chances for immediate placement in a hospital- rehab center while I finish my schooling. Have your internship where you want to work.

5: I want a job where you make a difference, your employer cares about you. Just stating this makes them want you. Interview multiple places. classjackie@yahoo.com

krystle3556 in Pennsylvania

68 months ago

Hey everyone! I graduated from PTA school in 2004. I had to conquer some obstacles during my last semester of college after suddenly losing my mother. I failed my exam twice. I am so happy i found this blog. I felt like i was the only one out there who let such time pass by. Now I won't give up and ya'll gave me HOPE. I have the hardest time making a study outline & daily review schedule for myself. If anyone has any suggestions ..I'd really appreciate it!! Thanks, Good Luck & Congrats : ) ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

J in Jordan, Montana

68 months ago

krystle3556 in Pennsylvania said: Hey everyone! I graduated from PTA school in 2004. I had to conquer some obstacles during my last semester of college after suddenly losing my mother. I failed my exam twice. I am so happy i found this blog. I felt like i was the only one out there who let such time pass by. Now I won't give up and ya'll gave me HOPE. I have the hardest time making a study outline & daily review schedule for myself. If anyone has any suggestions ..I'd really appreciate it!! Thanks, Good Luck & Congrats : ) ...

What's helped me is making questions out of the study guide, so that I learn the difficult material. My instructors recommended studying one hour in the AM and one hour in the PM. I have had a study group and found that the people that recently graduated are motivated and quickly take the exam and pass. People that have been out a while are distracted with other things and seem less motivated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

krystle3556 in Pennsylvania

68 months ago

I really appreciate any advice.. Thanks so much!

68 months ago

One of the hardest things for me to do is make time to review, with all the other family things going on!! I do know the benefits, it's just hard to make myself review/study!! Ugh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

68 months ago

Hello everyone,

I have taken my boards twice in the last 6 months, and failed! I dont know if there is any study material you guys recommend? I have the Giles book and I dont know how else to study..I bought the PEAT and the score buolders test online,,still did not pass...I am so confused ... and scared to take it a third time..any help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nellz in Apopka, Florida

68 months ago

Hey Maria, I you thought about a study group maybe that would help.

adriana in Mesa, Arizona

67 months ago

I am trying to start a PTA program, and just by hearing everyone who says that it is so hard.. i'm getting kind of nervous, can anyone tell me what classes to take and anything else i may need? i appreciate it, i have worked in a hospital in the pt department. and i have always been a back up tech but i want to move up. so any info would be helpful.

lalogordamachi@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CL in Phoenix, Arizona

66 months ago

I took the PTA exam 2 years ago and passed the first time with over a 90%. I studied 3-5 hours a day for 2 months prior, which after taking the exam I thought was overkill. The exam has alot of clinical scenarios with really just critical thinking/judgement type questions. Not too many academic type questions. I studied with a study guide book and computer disc with sample tests which had questions posed very similarly to the boards. It was called PTA exam, by scott giles/scorebuilders. I also studied all of my notes/resources from the program. The book/CD was around $75, and worth every penny.... as it has sample timed tests that were very similar to the real thing. I hope this helps someone.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

adriana in Phoenix, Arizona

66 months ago

CL in Phoenix, Arizona

Thank you so much. I've been feeling really low, Where we live I just found out that they don't have a pta school. My counselor didn't even know what it was. She told me to try in Phoenix but wasn't sure. hhmm Thank you for the infor. I appreciate it.

CL in Phoenix, Arizona

66 months ago

Gateway CC has a 2 year program with about 2 years of prerequisite courses. They also have an online program which is accelerated and finished in 15 months, but you do need to go in for 25 hrs a weekend every other weekend. This is what I did so I was still able to work. Good luck!

adriana in Phoenix, Arizona

66 months ago

CL in Phoenix, Arizona said: Gateway CC has a 2 year program with about 2 years of prerequisite courses. They also have an online program which is accelerated and finished in 15 months, but you do need to go in for 25 hrs a weekend every other weekend. This is what I did so I was still able to work. Good luck!

Thank you! you have made my week! I sent the info you gave to another person who is interested and both of us were stuck. Thank you so much for your time you have been alot of help. Adriana

sannthia in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

66 months ago

hello everyone. I went to PTA school awhile ago and i am now getting a chance to take the exam. i have a couple of questions. 1.how long does it take for the state to respond back with and exam date? and 2.what would be the best type of review guide i can do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Saginaw, Michigan

65 months ago

I am a MI PTA who will need to take and pass a licensure exam before 2010 to practice in MI. Since MI does not offer a PTA exam, does anyone have any recommendations as to which state would be best to go through for testing? Does any one state have a particularly good reputation as having their act together with licensure? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sahana in New York

65 months ago

HI I finally passed PTA exam. I am selling my Review guide. If anyone interested, please go to amazon.com and search for IER National Physical Therapist Assistant Examination Review & Study Guide. I am selling this for $53.99.
Thanks

rhay in San Jose, California

65 months ago

anybody there who could give me input for preparing pta board ?

sahana in New York

65 months ago

Hey friends,
Study IER review guide properly. Read basics like anatomy,manual muscle testing, special test and tables from guide book. Take PEAT just 2 weeks before your exam.
Do lots and lots of questions. Get giles from nearby book store and do questions from there.
Let me know if you have more doubt. read RG book line by line. They are asking everything from the same book

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

nellz_place in Kissimmee, Florida

65 months ago

sahana in New York said: HI I finally passed PTA exam. I am selling my Review guide. If anyone interested, please go to amazon.com and search for IER National Physical Therapist Assistant Examination Review & Study Guide. I am selling this for $53.99.
Thanks

Hey Sahana, how many times did you take your exam?

nellz_place in Kissimmee, Florida

65 months ago

sahana in New York said: Hey friends,
Study IER review guide properly. Read basics like anatomy,manual muscle testing, special test and tables from guide book. Take PEAT just 2 weeks before your exam.
Do lots and lots of questions. Get giles from nearby book store and do questions from there.
Let me know if you have more doubt. read RG book line by line. They are asking everything from the same book

what is RG book I'm lookin to take my exam in July?

sahana in New York

65 months ago

nellz_place in Kissimmee, Florida said: Hey Sahana, how many times did you take your exam?

I passed in my 1st attempt. RG MEANS review guide of IER

Raj in Santa Clara, California

65 months ago

hi
iam looking for study partner for PTA exam. iam in fremont.CA.Let me know if your intrested.

vince1330 in Bound Brook, New Jersey

65 months ago

polkadots in Encinitas, California said: what state? shoot me an email to ao.salinas@hotmail.com. i`m also trying to pass the PTA test I took the test couple times and i`m still going to take it again i hope this time i will get it. maybe we can have a group study review.
just hang in there i know how it feels and you will be fine. we'll make it!
hope to hear from you soon.

I am taking the PTA exam for the second time. I was out of the field for about 6 years, but I am working as a PTA. I think some sort of study group would really be halpful to me. Count me in.

65 months ago

michelle said: I tryed to email you some questions and it says messagefailed, do you have any other email address?

I am taking the PTA exam soon. If you are studying for that, I would like to join your study group. vincent.anderson@yahoo.com

DavidT in Berwyn, Illinois

65 months ago

70?

Ben in Parker, Colorado

64 months ago

I am fixing to begin a pta program next week. Is it true once I get a licence in one state, keeping it current, that I can apply and pay for licensure in other states without having to retake the exam? Retaking exams like that 5 years down the road is very difficult for anyone. I am a Cert. Ophthalmic Tech and could not imagine having to take that exam again!

PTA in Bellingham, Washington

64 months ago

Yes, That is true as long as the state your are applying for has equal or higher requirements for the exam. Every state's rules are a little different so be sure to check their website.

sahana in New York

64 months ago

Ben in Parker, Colorado said: I am fixing to begin a pta program next week. Is it true once I get a licence in one state, keeping it current, that I can apply and pay for licensure in other states without having to retake the exam? Retaking exams like that 5 years down the road is very difficult for anyone. I am a Cert. Ophthalmic Tech and could not imagine having to take that exam again!

You do not have to retake your exam once you get your license.Passing score is same for all the states. But you have to do credential evaluation of the respective status. Since some states have more credits, they might asked you to fulfill the credits. Thats all. No need to repeat the exam.
Hope this helps!!!

Maria Celia Saati in Miami, Florida

64 months ago

I've been out of the field for quite some time (29 years) :/

I want to work again but I'm not sure what I need to do to do this. Should I go back to school or retake the board? I graduated in 1986 with a Physical Therapy BA from a University in Brazil.

Is it very hard to start all over again? What path should I take if I want to start working again?

64 months ago

I can relate to getting back into the field. I was away for 7 years and I am just returning and let me tell you, it is very hard, especially when you have been studying another field. Not only is other information in your head, but the field itself has made advances without your knowledge. It is almost like being a student again and there is a great deal of focus on insurance, which may at times dictate your progression and documentation methods for your patients. It is hard, but not impossible. You may want to look for an up to date refresher or review course at local schools or become a volunteer. Good luck with your return and I hope that it works out well.

64 months ago

Well, I got a copy of the Giles book, "Scorebuilders PTA Exam: The
Complete Study Guide"! It does seem to break things down pretty good. I confess though, I have been a procrastinator these past
couple of weeks, and haven't done much studying. I really need to get my act together!! My Rehab Director at the facility where I work just hired a PTA for prn work @ $28/hour. I feel like I have
so much catching up to do, I wonder if it's possible to get to that level! I could probably do prn work in that facility, but I'd also work elsewhere !! Would like to find a study group!!

64 months ago

Make no mistake, there is a lot of catching up to do and a great deal of material to cover. The best way to get started is just to get started. I took a break from it all after I took my first exam. It was just to much information and to much pressure, but you don't want to that for to long. One way to start slowly is to take individual cases from your department and start reviewing or looking up their disorders/injuries/diagnosis. I found this helped me perform my job better, it honed my skills, and it also made me realize the more I studied, whether taking the exam or not, the better I became at my job and the more I learned. The information also stays with you better because you actually put it into practice. Good luck to us both and happy studying.

Fran in Jordan, Montana

64 months ago

Tom in Nashville, Tennessee said: Well, I got a copy of the Giles book, "Scorebuilders PTA Exam: The
Complete Study Guide"! It does seem to break things down pretty good. I confess though, I have been a procrastinator these past
couple of weeks, and haven't done much studying. I really need to get my act together!! My Rehab Director at the facility where I work just hired a PTA for prn work @ $28/hour. I feel like I have
so much catching up to do, I wonder if it's possible to get to that level! I could probably do prn work in that facility, but I'd also work elsewhere !! Would like to find a study group!!

I'm half way through the Gile's 2007 book and would love a study partner(s). trvlabrd@excite.com

Fran in Jordan, Montana

64 months ago

Maria Celia Saati in Miami, Florida said: I've been out of the field for quite some time (29 years) :/

I want to work again but I'm not sure what I need to do to do this. Should I go back to school or retake the board? I graduated in 1986 with a Physical Therapy BA from a University in Brazil.

Is it very hard to start all over again? What path should I take if I want to start working again?

Try working as a PTA. Each state has different rules. You probably can take the licensing exam in California for PTA. You probably can take the licensing exam in Michigan for PT.

hatingptaboardexam in Wooton, Kentucky

64 months ago

Fran, not sure if you know it or not but since you are studying from the 2007 giles book i figured i would fill u in. the test format was changed in 2008 and though im sure the 2007 edition has very similar info the newer edition is right by the new testing criteria. Which I can't really say much because i graduated May 23 and took my test june 12, and failed. So now im starting to get back on the "study train" and hopefully try some things different and pass it in a couple of weeks.

manuel in Saint Cloud, Florida

64 months ago

Nellz in Kissimmee, Florida said: Congrats on passing your exam. I am trying to study to take my exam by March. How much is for the PEAT exam? I"m using the NPTAE study guide than the scorebuilder.

hello hope you can be helpfull i need to know where i can take pta review in orlando

nellz_place in Fruitland Park, Florida

64 months ago

Hey Manuel, I live in Kissimmee and looking for a study partner. The PEAT exam cost about 95.00.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Hey thank you it will be my pleasure to study with you but I have to tell that I had past my test in Puerto Rico and it had been over ten years that I haven't been active so If this is not a inconvience for you i would still like to study with you.

64 months ago

Do you have any workbook to study with now?

64 months ago

I'm sorry i don't have anything only some books and some note from a long time ago that why i want to pay or go to a center for a review

michelle in deerfield

64 months ago

It would probably be easier if you just exchanged email address's. A lot of guests have thiS site as an alert and its kind of frustrating having your cellular go off every few minutes while your on call. Any chance this personal conversation could be taken elsewhere? I love alerts but not this kind thanx ;) -tired mom with a dble shift in a few hours.

64 months ago

ok my email is mbonilla72@hotmail.com

64 months ago

I sent you a email through the email address that you gave me

Charles PTA in Keller, Texas

64 months ago

Theresa in Denton, Texas said: I have failed the Texas licensure exam twice and am having a difficult time finding tutoring, review courses that don't cost an arm and a leg, or even CE that is relevant. Any information would be great.

Hello, Theresa
My name is Charles I live in Keller, Texas I too have failed twice and can't find a good study partner.
Have you tried again?

Brian in Southbridge, Massachusetts

63 months ago

I got my PTA degree over a year ago and would like to proceed to take the test now in Mass. Is it too late to take the test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Southbridge, Massachusetts

63 months ago

Thanks a lot for your help. This chat has motivated me to start up my career again with the success stories.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.