On the waitlist, what now?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Lynn in Dearborn, Michigan

59 months ago

I'm 43 and currently knocking out my pre-reqs for the PTA program. We have a long wait list and it looks like it will be August of 2011 before I am admitted. I have done my observation hours and currently volunteering at a hospital. Is it feasible that I could get a job as a PT Tech/Aide and that they would train me? (I picked up some skills during my volunteering.) Any suggestions? Where did you work while you were going to school or on the wait list?(P.S. I'm in Michigan - one of the hardest hit states in this rough economy.)
Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Shannon, PTA in Aiken, South Carolina

59 months ago

Hi Lynn, working as a PT aide is great when your waiting to get into PTA school! I just finished PTA school and was unable to work while taking classes, but since I have graduated I have been working as an aide in an outpatient facility while I have been preparing to take my boards. You can get some training and a basic knowledge while working with PT's and PTA's that will be taught to you in school later. And depending on your state's practice act will determine what an aide can do. For example in SC aides can work with patients through exercises and place electrodes, hot pack, cold packs for modalities. But I would def. suggest trying to get an aide position in an outpatient setting or maybe a nursing home. You might get more opportunities to work with patients and with the PT's and PTA's that can teach you alot! Hope that helps!

Lynn in Dearborn, Michigan

59 months ago

Shannon - thanks so much! I'll continue looking for a PTA aide job - they seem pretty scarce here right now. But like you said - the experience would be great!
Take Care!!

Shannon, PTA in Aiken, South Carolina said: Hi Lynn, working as a PT aide is great when your waiting to get into PTA school! I just finished PTA school and was unable to work while taking classes, but since I have graduated I have been working as an aide in an outpatient facility while I have been preparing to take my boards. You can get some training and a basic knowledge while working with PT's and PTA's that will be taught to you in school later. And depending on your state's practice act will determine what an aide can do. For example in SC aides can work with patients through exercises and place electrodes, hot pack, cold packs for modalities. But I would def. suggest trying to get an aide position in an outpatient setting or maybe a nursing home. You might get more opportunities to work with patients and with the PT's and PTA's that can teach you alot! Hope that helps!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.