Admissions with Low GPA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 363)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Lisa in Greenville, North Carolina

49 months ago

lalita said: @Lisa in Greenville - I'm so curious - where are you going to school? ECU?

Good luck with your finals! :)

Thanks! Yes, I'm at ECU - love it, great school, even better tuition - compared to other schools :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

lalita said: @Lisa in Greenville - I'm so curious - where are you going to school? ECU?

Good luck with your finals! :)

Thanks! Yes, I'm at ECU - love it, great program, even better tuition - compared to other schools :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Levynook in Salt Lake City, Utah

49 months ago

I've graduated with my 4-year degree in Spanish, I'm just about done with my pre-reqs, i have an over-all GPA of about 3.0, and I have about 3,900 hours of healthcare experience. Can anyone shed some light on what kind of a chance they think I might have?

Jeff in Marietta, Ohio

49 months ago

Levynook in Salt Lake City, Utah said: I've graduated with my 4-year degree in Spanish, I'm just about done with my pre-reqs, i have an over-all GPA of about 3.0, and I have about 3,900 hours of healthcare experience. Can anyone shed some light on what kind of a chance they think I might have?

That's going to be difficult to say. Each program has slightly differing requirements. Remember, you're looking at something like 40 out of 500 to 1000 acceptance rate. Contact the programs you're interested in then start applying. Interviews are a big issue in this too.

Is your 3900 hours direct care? If its just observation that may be a problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DG in Tallahassee, Florida

49 months ago

Hey I am a field corpsman in the navy. My job for the last four years is basically providing care to marines and sailors. I have my EMT certification and recently was accepted to chiropractic school. I just wanted to know if there are any PA programs that are military friendly. My GPA isn't where I would like it to be to apply to PA schools but if I have a chance it is something I would be interested in doing.

jeff in Marietta, Ohio

49 months ago

DG in Tallahassee, Florida said: Hey I am a field corpsman in the navy. My job for the last four years is basically providing care to marines and sailors. I have my EMT certification and recently was accepted to chiropractic school. I just wanted to know if there are any PA programs that are military friendly. My GPA isn't where I would like it to be to apply to PA schools but if I have a chance it is something I would be interested in doing.

Nobody can tell you if you have a chance or not. It's up to the individual and the program that's applied to. You haven't provided any information besides the fact you have some direct care experience. Being a field corpsman doesn't say what degree you have or pre-reqs taken. A half hours worth or research could have told you what you wanted to know and what you need to do to improve your chances. PA programs have websites that tell you everything you need to have

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DG in Tallahassee, Florida

49 months ago

jeff in Marietta, Ohio said: Nobody can tell you if you have a chance or not. It's up to the individual and the program that's applied to. You haven't provided any information besides the fact you have some direct care experience. Being a field corpsman doesn't say what degree you have or pre-reqs taken. A half hours worth or research could have told you what you wanted to know and what you need to do to improve your chances. PA programs have websites that tell you everything you need to have

Well as of right now I am a biology major with a 2.9 GPA and I have taken all of the pre-reqs. I have looked at some programs in Florida and Georgia. I haven't taken the GRE yet. Not sure if my GPA is competitive enough to apply if I decide too.

Jeff in Marietta, Ohio

49 months ago

DG in Tallahassee, Florida said: Well as of right now I am a biology major with a 2.9 GPA and I have taken all of the pre-reqs. I have looked at some programs in Florida and Georgia. I haven't taken the GRE yet. Not sure if my GPA is competitive enough to apply if I decide too.

Its going to be up to the discretion of the program directors. I've seen a few programs that don't require GRE. Your healthcare experience may offset the GPA a bit and I've heard of lower GPAs getting in.

The thing is, it's a crap-shoot for anyone. There's a girlfriend of mine who did everything perfectly, 3.8, high GRE, major in Biology etc. Two schools wouldn't recognize a microbiology class because it "wasn't from an accreditted school", but they recognized her degree FROM THE SAME DAMN SCHOOL.

You're just going to have to complete your degree and start applying. It may take a few years even if you're competitive so that gives you time to pad the GPA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tia in Brooklyn, New York

48 months ago

Hey there,

For those who are applying to any PA schools in NY, do you know how many hours of volunteer does an applicant need? And if you are already in any PA school, can you recommend any good PA program that takes 3.2 GPA.

Jeff in Marietta, Ohio

48 months ago

justinvell in Port Clinton, Ohio said: hi,
i am a senior in high school. living in ohio. i have a 3.5 cumulative gpa throughout high school. in top 40%. i plan on going to a community college to get all of the prerequisite classes done cheap. i was just wondering how hard it is to get into the PA schools. from what iv read on these posts so far is that it sounds almost impossible. i was also wondering is their anything i could/can do to help my chances to get into a PA school. also any information about becoming a PA will be greatly appreciated, or any tips will be very appreciated.
thanks

I believe PA programs are set up to transition people already in health care, nurses, respiratory therapists, PTAs, etc. The programs are like a condensed medical school, and the reason they can condense it down to 2-3 years is that they assume you already have clinical experience and a high level of knowledge of healthcare. That's not to say you can't go straight through school but that's probably not ideal. At least not in my opinion anyway.

Acceptance depends on each program. They are all different, ran by different people, have different prereqs. Most require a bachelors degree and to take the GRE(test to get into grad school) If you look, you can find some programs that offer BS/MS at the same time in 3 years.

You high school GPA won't be considered, just college classes. Programs are VERY hard to get into, and since you're just getting ready to start out, I'd suggest looking into medschool as well since they have similar prereqs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bigz in Terre Haute, Indiana

47 months ago

hey bud its not impossible aliright dont read forms and expect there always correct first thing you should do is find if there is a PA program at your school. because that is most likely going to be the easyiest one to get into. there are many PA programs around the nation. a gpa with 3.3-4.0 can get you in a PA school with good clinical experience, volenteere work, and a good well organized interview. if you can retake classes that you did bad in and do better to bump you gpa that is always great as long as you do better in the class. apply to as many schools as you can and give a good essay and reason why you want to get in the school,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

justinvell in Port Clinton, Ohio

47 months ago

bigz in Terre Haute, Indiana said: hey bud its not impossible aliright dont read forms and expect there always correct first thing you should do is find if there is a PA program at your school. because that is most likely going to be the easyiest one to get into. there are many PA programs around the nation. a gpa with 3.3-4.0 can get you in a PA school with good clinical experience, volenteere work, and a good well organized interview. if you can retake classes that you did bad in and do better to bump you gpa that is always great as long as you do better in the class. apply to as many schools as you can and give a good essay and reason why you want to get in the school,

thanks alot. i was also just wondering would it be a good idea to become a registered nurse first. do that for like 2 years then try to become a PA?

Jeff in Marietta, Ohio

47 months ago

justinvell in Port Clinton, Ohio said: thanks alot. i was also just wondering would it be a good idea to become a registered nurse first. do that for like 2 years then try to become a PA?

I wouldn't take advice from someone who obviously didn't read your post and writes like a drunkard.

RN WOULD be good to start as, but you'll likely have to get your bachelors while you work those two years. Not a big problem, many do it. (RN is a two year degree) There is also Respiratory therapy, radiology, physical therapy assistant, Med. lab tech etc.

You can find something you're interested in, get that AS degree, work a bit, then specialize in PA. Life is good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

justinvell in Port Clinton, Ohio

47 months ago

Jeff in Marietta, Ohio said: I wouldn't take advice from someone who obviously didn't read your post and writes like a drunkard.

RN WOULD be good to start as, but you'll likely have to get your bachelors while you work those two years. Not a big problem, many do it. (RN is a two year degree) There is also Respiratory therapy, radiology, physical therapy assistant, Med. lab tech etc.

You can find something you're interested in, get that AS degree, work a bit, then specialize in PA. Life is good.

hahah thanks alot. just trying to figure out what i want to do after high school. so many choices and such litle time :(
its very depressing and stressful

bluecloud in Stone Mountain, Georgia

47 months ago

I agree with Jeff -- you can Definitely become an RN or Physical Therapy Asst or something like that -- finish your BA, and then work a bit and apply to PA school :).

This is a very common pathway toward PA school :).

Best of luck to you all! :)

Jeff in Marietta, Ohio

47 months ago

Well, the first thing you can do that will help you decide is go to a hospital and shadow some of these positions, even doctor, in different areas of the hospital. Then you'll have a feel for what the job is and if its right for you. I've known a number of people who went into healthcare without doing this and they got quickly overwhelmed once clinicals started because they were not prepared on what to expect. In my anatomy class, we had 2 nursing students quit their programs the day we went into the cadaver lab. Be prepared.

So you shadow these people and find the perfect career for yourself. Find out exactly what you have to do to be that. Now you have a long term goal AND short term goals in that you can see how every class you take is important to becoming a (insert career). Life is good.

magh428 in Staten Island, New York

47 months ago

Hi I have a low gpa (2.5) and I was pre-med but changed my major. I have bio 1 and 2 and also have chem1 but failed chem 2. i never retook it. I was wondering if anyone knew of any schools in the ny/nj area that accept students with low gpas and who also dont have their requirements? I was looking into BS programs as well, and it looks like a good option for me right now, but my gpa is really discouraging. it's low bc ive always had to work at LEAST 40hrs a week throughout my whole college career. I did bad my first year, but my semester gpas have always been over a 3.0 . Ive been paying for my first year failure ever since. ANY ADVICE?

Jeff in Marietta, Ohio

47 months ago

Why won't it accept my post?!

Jeff in Marietta, Ohio

47 months ago

Look at Wagner on staten island. They have a 3yr combined BS/MS but your going to have to take some Chem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Steven in Ashland, Kentucky

47 months ago

Hello, I was curious about how to go about actually getting into PA school. Like most students over their first few years I slacked around alot and killed my GPA. Its around 2.29 right now. I was an Engineering major and recently switched to Biology. My advisor got me interested into the schools Pre-PA program, but after reading some of these threads about having high 3.+ GPA's and a 1200ish+ GRE score and all this is making me rethink if I can even get accepted once completing a BS in Pre-PA, and if not then I wasted an emphasis that will land me nothing when I'm done? I'm confused about what it actually takes to get into this program and be successful. I know from what I read on most posts each school has different requirements. But what is a good goal to aim for to have good foundations? I have 0 medical experience, so do I need to start shadowing a PA, or medical professional now? Please help...

Tia in Brooklyn, New York

47 months ago

Jennifer28 in New Jersey said: According to CASPA my science GPA is 3.14 and cumulative GPA 3.32. Arcadia just rejected me because they said my GPA's were non-competitive! How could a 3.3 be noncompetitive if their website says the minimum GPA to apply is 3.0? I guess it just depends on the school and the applicant pool because I just got invited to interview for Pace University.

Pace Univ. gives a 4 hour group interview. I am not sure what to expect because all the email said was that 25 applicants are interviewed per group. Any pointers?

Hey Jennifer, I'm thinking of applying to PACE, but GPA is currently 3.2 for overall. Do you know if this competitive enough, if not what other extra curriculum activities can boost my chances of getting into the school?

Thanks!

Jeff in Marietta, Ohio

47 months ago

@ Steve in Ashland

You might be better off majoring in another healthcare field and take your prereqs as electives or after you graduate at this point. PA admission is not guaranteed so you would have a job to fall back on doing this. Nursing, radiology, RT are just a few options and they are difficult programs. This is the path of many who go into PA. It was designed to be a transitional position for people who already have a great deal of healthcare experience.

Quite frankly, you're going to have to prove you can do the work, to the schools and to yourself. A 2.29 won't even get you into a lot of nursing programs I know of. And if you can't get through a nursing or respiratory program in good standing, you'll never get through a PA program. But, first thing is to protect yourself and make sure you have a career. Then work towards the PA. Dedicate yourself to 4.0 from now on.

If you can get through A&P I & II with at least a B+, that is an idea of the level of commitment it takes to be successful in any of these programs. The classes only get harder from there and there are more of them a quarter.

Mountaineer56 in Boone, North Carolina

47 months ago

Lisa in Greenville, North Carolina said: For those of you that are worrying about a low GPA, I would just like to let you know that I am currently finishing my first semester of PA school :) and I was accepted with a GPA of 2.97. One thing I must express to you is that if you are serious about becoming a PA, you must GET THAT POINT ACROSS during the interview and PERSISTENCE IS KEY. I applied to that same ONE school twice, was granted an interview twice, and on the second try, I got in! I just made sure I was as genuine as possible, and I demonstrated that I was deadset on getting in to THAT school, I even let them know that I applied nowhere else.
I'm not extremely beautiful, I'm not from an affluent family, and I'm certainly not rich, haha. They accepted me because I was friendly, genuine and mature. All applicants have these qualitities (well, most) so if you're dealt a rejection the first time around, try again! I knew that this career was PERFECT for me, so I made up my mind that I would apply EVERY year until I got in.
I hope this gives some of you some hope! It will happen! Keep on trying!

What did you do between the time you were rejected and then accepted? I definitely plan on reapplying to my dream school but until then I am not exactly sure what to do until then. I know I can't just sit back and hope for the best. I am not very good at interviews but hopefully next time around I will ROCK their SOCKS OFF! For some reason I freeze up during the interview, but in a normal situation I am definitely a people person. It's not like I need to ask myself "is this right for me?" because every other career path I think of just isn't "IT" for me.

47 months ago

Mountaineer56 in Boone, North Carolina said: What did you do between the time you were rejected and then accepted? I definitely plan on reapplying to my dream school but until then I am not exactly sure what to do until then. I know I can't just sit back and hope for the best. I am not very good at interviews but hopefully next time around I will ROCK their SOCKS OFF! For some reason I freeze up during the interview, but in a normal situation I am definitely a people person. It's not like I need to ask myself "is this right for me?" because every other career path I think of just isn't "IT" for me.

Well, when I got rejected the first time, I was working as a veterinary technician. So, even though at the time ECU didn't require past experience, I decided to do something to make my application sparkle a little more. So I got a job at a pathology lab - not exactly direct patient contact but it was a step in the right direction, at least toward humans! I also knew that they were going to ask me that ominous question,"What have you done since your last interview to solidify your intent on becoming a PA?" And SURE ENOUGH they did. I wasn't sure if my new job was going to be enough, but I made sure they knew it was a big transition for me.

47 months ago

Oh yeah, and I know exactly how you feel about the interview. I was an absolute nervous WRECK at both of them. My mouth got so dry at one point I could hardly talk! But what may also help you is rehearsing. Months before the interview I would rehearse my answers to questions out loud so I could get comfortable with how I sounded, and I would even tape pictures of people to the wall and pretend they were interviewing me. Believe me, it really does help, especially if you're like me. A little practice goes a long way.

re-re in Southfield, Michigan

47 months ago

i am a recent grad with a biology degree. i have 2.8 cum gpa. i know that is slow, but the PA i have looked at says they require at least a 2.5. I am currently taking post-bachelor classes in science and so far i have 4.0gpa. I am volunteering at a hopsital and i also work as a home care aide. i am also job-shadowing a PA. I am trying to see what are my chances of getting into PA school. I plan to take the GRE in May of this year. What score should I be pushing for to try and get? also, do PA schools just look at grades...i did a lot of bio research at my school and i was also involved heavily on campus and president of a few orgs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

knycpa in Forest Hills, New York

47 months ago

Have GPA below 3.0, and need to take prerequisite courses, so if I do well on prerequisite courses, and make GPA over 3.3, do I have a shot to accept to PA program or BSN ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Marietta, Ohio

47 months ago

Its up to the program. Nobody here can tell you "yes, you'll get in". You could have a 4.0 and blow the interview. Maybe you have zero direct care experience or a bad GRE score. Different programs have different prerequisites. Go talk to the advisor.

Wendi in colorado in Loveland, Colorado

47 months ago

Any one ever applied to CU Denver or Redrocks Community College?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nature_PA-C in Garden Grove, California

47 months ago

sherry in Kennesaw, Georgia said: I was wondering...What is the difference between a B.S. and a M.S. in physician assistant? I was looking at Maryland also, but when I saw it was a B.S. I am not sure anymore.

It is the same. You can sit for the PANCE exam with either B.S. or a M.S.! If you choose the M.S. program then it costs a little more than a B.S. program.

Jeff in Marietta, Ohio

47 months ago

They are not quite the same thing. A Masters degree is NOT the same thing as a Bachelors. Plus, some states require a M.S. to get licensed

Mountaineer56 in Boone, North Carolina

47 months ago

Has anyone taken a GRE subject exam in order to counteract, so to speak, their science GPA? If so, do you think it helped, did schools address this during an interview session?

jazz in Vernal, Utah

47 months ago

Hello, I am currently working on completing my 4 year degree in Biology. This sounds terrible but right now I am only sitting at about a B- average should be 3.0 or so when I am done, however I am working on getting that as high as possible. But with the first 2 years of school getting not so hot grades it has been tough to get it up to that point. I have been retaking classes which is helping but I think I read somewhere on the CASPA website when they calculate the GPA they include the repeated courses which would be bad because then my GPA would then be even worse. My question with that being said is, will schools even look at my transcipt or only the GPA that CASPA gives them? Is there any hope? (Also note I have a few hundred paid hours as EMT and so far have quite a few shadowing a PA) Thanks.

Slambert in Longwood, Florida

47 months ago

Like so many of you on this topic, I too have a burning desire to attend PA school. Unfortunately, I too have a low GPA (2.96 cum and 2.79 sci).I received a lot of "C" in my upper division course work. I have a BS in Biology and spent 4 years as an Army medic. I have shadowed a number of PAs as well. I gave up on my dream of being a PA when I graduated college in 2004 due to my GPA. I let life(marriage and kids!)get the best of me and decided to take a job as a sales rep(non-medical). 6.5 yrs have past and now I find myself still holding onto my dream of being a PA. Somehow, I found this forum this morning and had a sudden urge to pursue it again! I'm soon to be 37 and it will take a major commitment on my end to do this. Am I insane or is this a pipe dream? I haven't let go of this dream after 14yrs when I left the Army to pursue PA. I'm not the perfect student but my will I know would get me through the school. Does anyone have advice? What are my chances of getting into a program. I have been interested in Nova for so long. I think I would be willing to go anywhere that excepts me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

Slambert in Longwood, Florida said: Like so many of you on this topic, I too have a burning desire to attend PA school. Unfortunately, I too have a low GPA (2.96 cum and 2.79 sci).I received a lot of "C" in my upper division course work. I have a BS in Biology and spent 4 years as an Army medic. I have shadowed a number of PAs as well. I gave up on my dream of being a PA when I graduated college in 2004 due to my GPA. I let life(marriage and kids!)get the best of me and decided to take a job as a sales rep(non-medical). 6.5 yrs have past and now I find myself still holding onto my dream of being a PA. Somehow, I found this forum this morning and had a sudden urge to pursue it again! I'm soon to be 37 and it will take a major commitment on my end to do this. Am I insane or is this a pipe dream? I haven't let go of this dream after 14yrs when I left the Army to pursue PA. I'm not the perfect student but my will I know would get me through the school. Does anyone have advice? What are my chances of getting into a program. I have been interested in Nova for so long. I think I would be willing to go anywhere that excepts me!

accepts me! lol

47 months ago

Slambert in Longwood, Florida said: Like so many of you on this topic, I too have a burning desire to attend PA school. Unfortunately, I too have a low GPA (2.96 cum and 2.79 sci).I received a lot of "C" in my upper division course work. I have a BS in Biology and spent 4 years as an Army medic. I have shadowed a number of PAs as well. I gave up on my dream of being a PA when I graduated college in 2004 due to my GPA. I let life(marriage and kids!)get the best of me and decided to take a job as a sales rep(non-medical). 6.5 yrs have past and now I find myself still holding onto my dream of being a PA. Somehow, I found this forum this morning and had a sudden urge to pursue it again! I'm soon to be 37 and it will take a major commitment on my end to do this. Am I insane or is this a pipe dream? I haven't let go of this dream after 14yrs when I left the Army to pursue PA. I'm not the perfect student but my will I know would get me through the school. Does anyone have advice? What are my chances of getting into a program. I have been interested in Nova for so long. I think I would be willing to go anywhere that excepts me!

Age does not matter; many pepole in their 30s and 40s change careers and pursue PA as a field. It's not insane or a pipe dream. You will likely have to take a year of courses in preparation for PA school. You will need (within the last 5-7 years) courses such as

Organic Chem
Anatomy/Physiology 1,2
Microbiology
Statistics
Genetics

etc

And this is your opportunity to make all As to redeem and increase your GPA for sciences. Also it sounds like you have some good, solid experience for work.

I say go for it, if you really want to do it.

Best of luck to you,
Heather

47 months ago

bluecloud in Stone Mountain, Georgia said: Age does not matter; many pepole in their 30s and 40s change careers and pursue PA as a field. It's not insane or a pipe dream. You will likely have to take a year of courses in preparation for PA school. You will need (within the last 5-7 years) courses such as

Organic Chem
Anatomy/Physiology 1,2
Microbiology
Statistics
Genetics

etc

And this is your opportunity to make all As to redeem and increase your GPA for sciences. Also it sounds like you have some good, solid experience for work.

I say go for it, if you really want to do it.

Best of luck to you,
Heather

Heather,

Thanks for the quick response. I haven't seen anything on the school's web sites that say prerequisites have to be within 5-7 years...I hope that's not the case! All of the classes you stated above are approaching 10 yrs +/-. I did get all A,B in those classes with the exception of Genetics (C+). Is it feasible to take those classes again? Does anyone know if there are counselors available at these schools who can advise? Thanks,

Steve

jeff in Marietta, Ohio

47 months ago

Slambert in Longwood, Florida said: Heather,

Thanks for the quick response. I haven't seen anything on the school's web sites that say prerequisites have to be within 5-7 years...I hope that's not the case! All of the classes you stated above are approaching 10 yrs +/-. I did get all A,B in those classes with the exception of Genetics (C+). Is it feasible to take those classes again? Does anyone know if there are counselors available at these schools who can advise? Thanks,

Steve

Steve, I think the 10 years for science courses are a CASPA requirement. If the PA school does a general admissions through CASPA you may have an issue. You may have a better shot looking for schools that have a 3 year BS/MS combined program. The ones I contacted do not go through CASPA for admission.

I would advise you to start applying regardless. Deadlines are coming near. If you get in, great, if not, you'll have a year to take classes and get your GPA up (AND get back into the swing of school) You'll do better. Maturity counts for a lot. I went back at 37 and carry a 4.0 now.

47 months ago

I am also 37 and also applying to PA schools now, and I feel that our years of work experience make us very valuable assets to any program or work environment.

As for years since prerequisites were taken, every school is different. Some schools, such as Emory and Duke, do not have ANY limits on how many years it has been. However, other schools I have been very interested in, have STRICT limitations.

You can definitely contact the school and ask them directly. Call the PA department (admissions) and counselors there will answer all your questions.

Unfortunately, they do not always post the limits of years on their site. I had that happen last week :( Boo.

Anyway, best of luck!! :)

Sincerely, Heather

SuperRatMan in Richmond, Virginia

47 months ago

Only advice I can give for someone with a low GPA is to makes sure your most recent coursework shows an upward trend of improvement. Don't be discouraged about a low GPA but take steps to improve it. That doesn't mean achieve A's and B's. It means achieve only A's and put in the effort necessary to do just that. A low GPA is an uphill battle but those people who can turn it around have a fair shot at getting in.

I did so poorly my first two semesters of college I was placed on academic warning then suspension (which are forever on my transcripts). My GPA was less than a 2.0. After taking a year off, I worked, traveled and gained some good life experiences. When I returned, I hit the books and struggled to improve my GPA. When I applied to PA school I had a 3.30 GPA and mediocre GRE scores (barely cracked a thousand) but still got accepted. So don't be discouraged, just take more classes and bust tail to prove to admission committees that you are capable of hacking it in PA school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Crestview, Florida

46 months ago

hey guys, PLEASE HELP!
so here's my dilemma I might not be able to finish chemistryII untill that fall that I'm applyingt to PA school. Overall GPA 3.63, Science GPA 3.06, 1000hrs patient experience and A.S in Emergency medical services 9but not a cerified EMT). Would I get into UF PA school, eventhough I wouldn't have a grade for ChemistryII on my transcrpit? has anyone worked as a medical assistant w/out having to get certification? ANY advice would be helpful!! I'M FREAKING OUT, that i won't be able to apply in this coming fall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sara1234 in Maine

45 months ago

Ally in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I am a sophomore Bio major who plans on becoming a PA, and i didn't take my freshman year too seriously I have an F on my transcript in Bio 2 I took it this summer an got a B. I average a B for my average grades will that not get me into school? should i just switch majors now?

Yes, switch your major. That is a great idea. You can still apply to PA school without a biology degree as long as you have all the prerequisites. I was accepted to PA school with a General Studies degree and am so happy I switched from my Biology major and, instead, got most of my science pre-reqs at community college (which boosted my science GPA tremendously).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

sara1234 in Maine

45 months ago

edaless in Gainesville, Florida said: Is there a major that would make an applicant more likely to be accepted to physician assistant school?

Not necessarily. It may depend upon to what school you are applying, but I was accepted with a General Studies major.

tst8440 in Miami, Florida

45 months ago

Angela in Crestview, Florida said: hey guys, PLEASE HELP!
so here's my dilemma I might not be able to finish chemistryII untill that fall that I'm applyingt to PA school. Overall GPA 3.63, Science GPA 3.06, 1000hrs patient experience and A.S in Emergency medical services 9but not a cerified EMT). Would I get into UF PA school, eventhough I wouldn't have a grade for ChemistryII on my transcrpit? has anyone worked as a medical assistant w/out having to get certification? ANY advice would be helpful!! I'M FREAKING OUT, that i won't be able to apply in this coming fall.

I applied last fall to 6 PA schools and I still had to finish Biochemistry and Microbiology during that semester. I think finishing my classes that late might have put me at a disadvantage but I still got one interview and was accepted. My overall GPA was 3.5 and science was 3.9 with a 1290 GRE. I had about 2000 clinical hours working as a CNA in a hospital setting.

Good luck and don't worry because a lot of people I met applied late and still got interviews.

Jeff Matlin in Hoboken, New Jersey

44 months ago

Hey all. I have been an RN for about 20 months now and would like to go back to PA school. Although I have plenty of hospital experience, my college gpa was only about a 3.1-3.2. I live in New Jersey. I was wondering what schools some of you recommended. Any feedback would be very helpful!

Pre-PA in North Carolina

44 months ago

Also are you a BSN? Do you have a Bachelor's degree?

With your RN you probably already have taken some or all of the prerequisites, which will make the pathway easier for you.

Why did you decide to switch from RN to PA?

I'm happy to give suggestions if possible. I am familiar with some PA and NY schools, more than NJ schools.

Faby in Queens Village, New York

43 months ago

Hey guys, i've been reading your comments and you guys are so helpful with one another so maybe you guiys can help me. In the beginning of college i was in a 4 yr college, but the distance to travel was soo far i hardly passed my classes. I took a semester off and enrolled in a community college, in the beginning my grades were ok but i was placed on academic probation and thought maybe college wasnt for me so i took another semester off. Now im convinced and determined to become a PA, so im going back to school and i'm really going to try to bring up my gpa. However, I don't have any direct patient experience. How can i go forth on getting that experience?, and do u think i can get accepted into a program since my grades were poor? i haven't taken any science classes as yet though. P.S. im located in ny but i am willing to relocate a decent distance if needed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tanya1016 in Brooklyn, New York

43 months ago

hi everyone, i am also worried about my chances of getting into a NY PA program. I am graduating with a BS in bio and a psych minor with overall gpa of 3.1. i have an associate degree in bio from a community college with a 3.5 gpa, where most of my pre-reqs were taken (mostly A's some B's and two C's in anatomy and physiology 2 and orgo 2). i have 4 years of medical office work experience, shadowed a PA as well. Volunteered at a hospital during last summer. Do you think i should bother applying, or should i retake the classes i got C's in and take the GRE? Also where can i find a list of PA schools for those students with a BS degree and not freshmen like for LIU? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jill in Denver, Colorado

42 months ago

SuperRatMan in Richmond, Virginia said: Only advice I can give for someone with a low GPA is to makes sure your most recent coursework shows an upward trend of improvement. Don't be discouraged about a low GPA but take steps to improve it. That doesn't mean achieve A's and B's. It means achieve only A's and put in the effort necessary to do just that. A low GPA is an uphill battle but those people who can turn it around have a fair shot at getting in.

I did so poorly my first two semesters of college I was placed on academic warning then suspension (which are forever on my transcripts). My GPA was less than a 2.0. After taking a year off, I worked, traveled and gained some good life experiences. When I returned, I hit the books and struggled to improve my GPA. When I applied to PA school I had a 3.30 GPA and mediocre GRE scores (barely cracked a thousand) but still got accepted. So don't be discouraged, just take more classes and bust tail to prove to admission committees that you are capable of hacking it in PA school.

What school did you get in to? Also, what was your science GPA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

pa student - texas in Matamoros, Mexico

41 months ago

Don't give up...
These are my stats Overall GPA 3.17. Science GPA 3.53
I was on alternate list in three Texas schools... Yesterday one offer me a spot is call UTPA
And I got in... It's just lucky maybe I don't think so... After two times applying they see perseverance and improvement in every cycle... I check the stats of my class.. Mean GPA 3.5, Science GPA 3.3, Last 60 GPA 3.7... Your experience in health care setting, your interview skills and your passion will be the ones that open the the doors in any school... Just apply to the schools that you are interest and they will se eventually one day you enter... Good Luck to everyone...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.