Admissions with Low GPA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 336)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

heidi14 in Manchester, Connecticut

49 months ago

Hi guys I know ya'll have been chatting for months now on here, some 2 yrs. But I have some questions and concerns about PA /med school and was wondering if anyone would be able to email me and help out. :-(. My email is verbatimlifesource316@hotmail.com. if you've applied and gotten in with low gpa's, gre's etc. or know alot about the process if you could shoot me an email that'd be wonderful!! Thanks so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

bondiins in Deerfield Beach, Florida

49 months ago

sprinkles in Gainesville, Florida said: Shenae! I just wanted to let you know that I've been accepted to Nova-Orlando!!! There is hope!!! : )

Hi That is really admirable. I just applied to Nova Orlando for 2012. Do you have any tips on what you said to the committee that must have impressed them? Thank you please give me an idea of what you think worked for you Katy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

jeff in Marietta, Ohio

48 months ago

ak0516 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Hey guys I am in my third year of getting a BS in Biology from a four year college and want to apply to PA school. When do I begin to apply to PA schools? At the end of my third year or at the begining of my fourth??
Also, I see that manys schools require anatomy & physiology with labs as pre-reqs.. Do you think it would be a problem if I dont have the labs because my school doesn't offer A&P with labs, it is just conjoined with medical terminology.

Thank you!

Yes, it's going to be a problem. They don't accept online courses either, so be aware of that. I've been researching programs for months now, contacting them, going to open houses, etc., and I've come to realize they all are very prickly about their requirements.

Another problem you will be facing is direct care experience. I believe the PA position was originally designed for people with extensive healthcare experience to transition into medicine. The last program I contacted required 3000hrs of direct care exp. That's nearly 2 years.

As for application, there is a general application to submit through CASPA that most programs use (most, but not all). Some require GRE scores as well. Some programs have you apply directly. There will be references and interview process as well. Best bet is to contact the programs and set up a meeting so they can guide your best course of action.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

TrevTampa in Tampa, Florida

48 months ago

TrevTampa in Tampa, Florida said: I have a 2.9 overall GPA and a 3.2 science GPA. I still need Orgo, Bio2, and my Chem 1&2 labs.

Lets say i get A's in those classes and i have a 3.0 Overall and a 3.35 Sci GPA.

I have a 1040 on the GRE.

I have 2 years of payed work as a Mental Health Technician at a hospital doing patient care (Roughly 2000 to 3000 hours)

I have 150 volunteer hours in Physical Therapy

I have 1000 hours in a Payed internship in Marine Biology as a Dolphin trainer (I know its not patient care, but it looks good on an ap).

If i were to retake the GRE and score around a 1200, how competitive is my application? My only worry is my overall GPA.

Well, i have finished all of my classes. I brought my GPA up to a 3.05 but i discovered CASPA will not ignore "grade forgiveness" classes. If anyone has done this it will be averaged into your grade.

This dropped my overall GPA down to a 2.975 unfortunately.

But, i have around 52 post-bach classes which i maintained a 3.6 GPA in with A's in classes like Organic, Micro, and other upper level sciences.

Just wanted to give people with GPA problems a heads up about the whole grade forgiveness thing. If you got a bad grade your freshman year and retook the class CASPA will average both grades in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Cordova, Tennessee

48 months ago

Hello! My gpa is a 3.0 and I've made a C in Chem I and Genetics. I have over a 100 volunteer hours and over 10,000 health care hours. I'm a certified athletic trainer. I have applied to PA school but was turned down due to the Cs. I 'm wondering what's my chances of getting into PA school or do I need to retake the courses?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Vini in Burlington, Massachusetts

48 months ago

Nicole in Cordova, Tennessee said: Hello! My gpa is a 3.0 and I've made a C in Chem I and Genetics. I have over a 100 volunteer hours and over 10,000 health care hours. I'm a certified athletic trainer. I have applied to PA school but was turned down due to the Cs. I 'm wondering what's my chances of getting into PA school or do I need to retake the courses?

Just out of curiosity, which schools did you apply to. I am in a similar boat, but I have decided to still go ahead and apply. Now I'm wondering if I made the right choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Cordova, Tennessee

47 months ago

Vini,
I applied to Bethel University in TN. I'm going to apply to more schools and if I can just get an interview... I feel like I will be in!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Ypsilanti, Michigan

47 months ago

Has anyone gotten in if they’ve retaken failed classes? I screwed up my first few years of school but i’m doing very well now ( before i had mostly B’s a few C’s and some W’s) and is now retaking chem 2 because i failed it and got a C in chem 1. I also got a C in a&p 2 and plan to retake that as well. I just don’t want my poor choices when i was young and dumb hurt my chances of getting into a program. I’m also a home health aide going on a year now and a gen chem major. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jeff in Marietta, Ohio

47 months ago

Jay in Ypsilanti, Michigan said: Has anyone gotten in if they’ve retaken failed classes? I screwed up my first few years of school but i’m doing very well now ( before i had mostly B’s a few C’s and some W’s) and is now retaking chem 2 because i failed it and got a C in chem 1. I also got a C in a&p 2 and plan to retake that as well. I just don’t want my poor choices when i was young and dumb hurt my chances of getting into a program. I’m also a home health aide going on a year now and a gen chem major. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

Jay, about every program I have researched requires a 3.0 in required science courses. Have you decided on a particular program? Many require 2 inorganic chem classes AND 2 organic a biochemistry, plus genetics, nutrition, cellular and molecular biology.

I'd suggest looking into the programs' specific requirements if you haven't. You may have a longer road ahead of you than you thought. These programs are very competitive and difficult. There were 3500 applicants for 40 seats in the program at my school. You're going to have to do something to prove to the schools (and yourself) that you can do the work if you get in. Nothing but "A's" now.

Oh, and are you doing your direct care as well? Some programs require up to 3000 hrs direct caer exp. That's 2 years worth of work in healtcare

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jeff in Marietta, Ohio

47 months ago

And science courses have to be within 10 yrs if that makes any difference for you. That's what messed me over. I'll be 2 years into medschool before I can even apply to a PA program

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BetterHealthcare in Atlanta, Georgia

47 months ago

Jay,

It will be challenging to find a reputable program that will accept your application with as many academic indiscretions as you’ve mentioned. If you are not doing so currently, I suggest you do some volunteer work at a local clinic and/or hospital. Also, I recommend some community service to demonstrate your overall personality, character, and determination. Right now you look very weak academically, but there is more to being a clinician than academics and you must illustrate that for an entrance committee.

Also, you will need to have completed some direct healthcare work experience. You may consider enrolling at a local community or technical college and work toward a certificate or degree in EMT, paramedic, surgical tech, etc. A strong academic showing there should convey that you have refocused yourself to being more serious about your studies. In addition to improving your academic status, you will qualify to work as an entry-level healthcare professional, b/c most physician assistant (PA) programs require at a minimum a 1000hrs of healthcare work experience prior to matriculation.

Good luck!

M
DHSc, PA-C

47 months ago

For those aspiring physician assistants (PA) out there with less than strong academic vitas, I suggest you buckle down, and keep in mind, that although PAs are not doctors we are a vital member of a medical team. And most programs around the country are based on the same medical model taught to MDs.

The exception is our didactic and clinic is crammed into our brains in 2 to 2.5 yrs verses 3 to 4. Also we face a huge learning curve, b/c after our program there is no additional 6 to 7 yrs. So most programs only have your academic background to go off of as to your aptitude to drink and absorb knowledge from a “fire hydrogen” turned on full blast.

After graduation and certification there is still a GREAT deal of studying that needs to be done constantly. Personally, I read at least 2 to 3 medical journals/magazines a week in addition to researching particular cases that I come across in the course of a shift. That is not to include partnering with a physician or another PA to write a study for publication or presenting a case before the entire department depending on your setting.

We are a highly trained and dedicated cohort of mid-level providers, since the very first PA came out of Duke University decades ago. And since then AAPA and every PA-C has worked tirelessly to get the profession to where it is now.

Good Luck to you all!

M
DHSc, PA-C

Tia in New York, New York

47 months ago

Hello,

Anyone here knows how the physician assitant program is in St john's university??? Specially the two year's program.

Thanks a bunch :)

47 months ago

BetterHealthcare in Atlanta, Georgia said: For those aspiring physician assistants (PA) out there with less than strong academic vitas, I suggest you buckle down, and keep in mind, that although PAs are not doctors we are a vital member of a medical team. And most programs around the country are based on the same medical model taught to MDs.

The exception is our didactic and clinic is crammed into our brains in 2 to 2.5 yrs verses 3 to 4. Also we face a huge learning curve, b/c after our program there is no additional 6 to 7 yrs. So most programs only have your academic background to go off of as to your aptitude to drink and absorb knowledge from a “fire hydrogen” turned on full blast.

After graduation and certification there is still a GREAT deal of studying that needs to be done constantly. Personally, I read at least 2 to 3 medical journals/magazines a week in addition to researching particular cases that I come across in the course of a shift. That is not to include partnering with a physician or another PA to write a study for publication or presenting a case before the entire department depending on your setting.

We are a highly trained and dedicated cohort of mid-level providers, since the very first PA came out of Duke University decades ago. And since then AAPA and every PA-C has worked tirelessly to get the profession to where it is now.

Good Luck to you all!

M
DHSc, PA-C

How do you think admissions committees view transcripts that have less than desirable GPA's (around 2.7) for their undergrad that graduated back in 2007 but have gone back to school for 2 years (~50 credit hours) for all of the pre-req's and have maintained a 3.5 GPA for their post-bach classes and have raised their GPA to just barely under a 3.0?

I'm hoping that shows as a student who was unfocused 6 or 7 years ago who has demonstrated that they have the aptitude to succeed in the field.

47 months ago

TrevTamp,

Admission committees are a very fickle group around the nation, no one committee is the same. Some committees look at the whole student; others focus in on the numerical GPA.

I will share this with you, I have seen students with slightly less impressive numbers than what you have shared, be accepted and go on to do very well.

How are your GRE and/or MCAT scores? How many hours of direct healthcare experience do you currently have? Have you spoken to a PA in your local area? He/she maybe able to give you some insight into local programs or into programs they have a relationship too.

I know you may wish to stay within a particular geography, but I recommend applying to your top 10 programs you would like to attend and let the committees make its choice.

If it’s possible you may have to pack up and move to another State to attend a program if you do not get accepted at the first choice in your immediate area. That is a possibility/option many students don’t wish to consider.

Good Luck!

M
DHSc, PA-C

47 months ago

Nicole,

Your chances are not bleak!! If you earnestly wish to be a PA, I suggest you apply and keep applying until you get accepted. I recommend to a lot of potential PA students that they should apply to 5 - 10 programs, because admissions are becoming very competitive.

And with the number of students being accepted per program a potentially GREAT physician assistant maybe sitting on the sideline for a couple of years before getting into school, simply because they made some academic mistakes.

I also, recommend that if possible get involved w/ the local PA association chapter for your state. Let the PAs in your area know you exist and are serious about joining the profession.

Unfortunately, there are only (4) accredited programs in TN. However, neighboring states such as AL, NC, GA, and FL all have multiple programs.

Good Luck!!

M
DHSc, PA-C

zchen in Wilmington, Delaware

47 months ago

Hi everyone, like so many people here I am trying very hard to make my application as competitive as possible despite my less than stellar gpa(3.3). The thing is I have a BS in mechanical engineering, my science gpas is pretty strong around 3.5, but my engineering courses which are considered "other-science" by CASPA is whats hurting my "overall science gpa" knocking it down to 3.0.... What do ya'll think? Am I screwed? I really want to believe strong health-care experiences and interviews will help my cause, but with the competitiveness of the PA programs in the north east really puts a dent to my goals. Problem are schools like Arcadia who receives almost a thousand applications a year focuses more on the numerical values of your gpa than anything else. SIGH

Kylizzle in New York, New York

47 months ago

Hey M/BetterHealthCare,

I'm currently a student within the Medical Laboratory Sciences major (to become a medical technician), but decided to pursue a PA program. I have MOST of the pre-reqs down, and I'm about to take AnP 1/2 + Micro next Winter+Spring of my Junior year. I will apply in the Fall 2012 of my senior year to almost all of the PA schools in NY that I meet the prereqs of. I know seats are limited and chances are slim, but my overall worry is the BS/MS each school offers. As I explained, I'm entering my senior year in Fall 2012, and graduating in Spring 2013 as a Medical Laboratory Technician. I will have a BS by then and completed all the pre-reqs of a PA and will have a certificate as a Med Tech.

What I was thinking of doing is to apply to the PA schools in Fall 2012 (after all the pre-reqs are done) and hopefully hear back from them before graduating. The BS PA programs aren't a problem, but the MS might be seeing as I don't have a BS yet when applying, but will have it when entering (if accepted). So I'm totally confused on how to proceed.

Other than that, I feel determined to get into a PA program, if not in 2013, then 2014 by reapplying, and having the Med Tech profession as a transition. I have health related experience through volunteer (these hours will continue to grow throughout next year) and indirect patient experience in a hospital setting (paid hours by working in a lab). My overall GPA is 3.3, sciences roughly 3.0. I did receive a C in Organic 1 and a C+ in Bio2. But I've learned to buckle down and study more intensively for my Major classes, and will apply the same aspects to AnP 1/2+Micro.

Kylizzle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sana in New York, New York

47 months ago

Does anyone know how competitive is st jonhn's PA program?

47 months ago

Kylizzle,

Your question has various answers depending where you plan to pursue your studies. Nevertheless, most programs will allow you to apply and even grant you conditional admission contingent upon you graduating. Remember your contingent will have to be completed & verified by matriculation.

Although you received a “C” in a class/or two ----it is not a huge deal, because it is not until you enter into a Master program or higher that “Cs” are no longer acceptable toward graduation.

With that said a growing pool of competitive applicants along with stiff admission standards at some institutions may cause your “Cs” to come back and haunt you.

Either way do not allow 1 or 2 “Cs” to deter you from your goal. As long as you maintain your current averages and stay focus, you will be fine.

Stay determined and GOOD luck!!

M
DHSC, PA-C

raul in Nashville, Tennessee

47 months ago

Hey. I have a b.s. in biology with a 3.0 gpa. I've been a paramedic
For a year and i was an emt for four years. Will my paramedic
experience help me get into a pa school in the south?

47 months ago

BetterHealthcare in Atlanta, Georgia said: TrevTamp,

Admission committees are a very fickle group around the nation, no one committee is the same. Some committees look at the whole student; others focus in on the numerical GPA.

I will share this with you, I have seen students with slightly less impressive numbers than what you have shared, be accepted and go on to do very well.

How are your GRE and/or MCAT scores? How many hours of direct healthcare experience do you currently have? Have you spoken to a PA in your local area? He/she maybe able to give you some insight into local programs or into programs they have a relationship too.

I know you may wish to stay within a particular geography, but I recommend applying to your top 10 programs you would like to attend and let the committees make its choice.

If it’s possible you may have to pack up and move to another State to attend a program if you do not get accepted at the first choice in your immediate area. That is a possibility/option many students don’t wish to consider.

Good Luck!

M
DHSc, PA-C

I scored a 1040 on the GRE (Not my best work)

I have 1646 payed hours of direct patient care (and counting, working 32-40 hour weeks)

I have ~10 hours (and counting) of observation in the OR with a doctor who does very cutting edge spinal surgeries and stem cell work.

47 months ago

Raul,

Pardon me if I sound cynical or condescending, but asking rather your field of study; your GPA, and experience will get you into a “PA school in the south” is like asking will lightning strike you while standing in between two large buildings.

No one really knows, what I can tell you is ---- having a biology degree may help if you are selected into a PA program. An individual’s success in any program is dependent upon the individual.

To ensure you are competitive enough I recommend you contact the admissions department overseeing the PA programs you are interested in attending. A lot of times the answers to the questions you have can be found right on the Institution’s PA program website.

Good luck!!

M
DHSc, PA-C

47 months ago

TrevTampa in Tampa, Florida said: I scored a 1040 on the GRE (Not my best work)

I have 1646 payed hours of direct patient care (and counting, working 32-40 hour weeks)

I have ~10 hours (and counting) of observation in the OR with a doctor who does very cutting edge spinal surgeries and stem cell work.

TrevTamp,

You are just as competitive with your current numbers as most; go forward; if for whatever reason you are not selected DO NOT let that deter you. As I mentioned before admission committees can be very a fickle group from one day to the next.

Also, I have seen where timing has played a significant role in why one person was selected and one person was not.

M
DHSc, PA-C

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

IceAge in Seymour, Connecticut

47 months ago

SuperRatMan in Richmond, Virginia said: Only advice I can give for someone with a low GPA is to makes sure your most recent coursework shows an upward trend of improvement. Don't be discouraged about a low GPA but take steps to improve it. That doesn't mean achieve A's and B's. It means achieve only A's and put in the effort necessary to do just that. A low GPA is an uphill battle but those people who can turn it around have a fair shot at getting in.

I did so poorly my first two semesters of college I was placed on academic warning then suspension (which are forever on my transcripts). My GPA was less than a 2.0. After taking a year off, I worked, traveled and gained some good life experiences. When I returned, I hit the books and struggled to improve my GPA. When I applied to PA school I had a 3.30 GPA and mediocre GRE scores (barely cracked a thousand) but still got accepted. So don't be discouraged, just take more classes and bust tail to prove to admission committees that you are capable of hacking it in PA school.

This is helpful. I'm looking for schools that look at applicants as a whole and look at grade trends. Can you tell us where you applied and got accepted?

Carla Easley in Stafford, Virginia

47 months ago

If you apply to Virginia Union University, Johnson C. Smith University, Alabama State University, or Morgan State, There's a pretty good chance that you'll get accepted. I got accepted to all of these schools with a 2.5 GPA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Milan, Tennessee

47 months ago

Does Virginia Union University still have a program? Alabama state university, has a program? Is that a HBCU?

47 months ago

Sarah in Milan, Tennessee said: Does Virginia Union University still have a program? Alabama state university, has a program? Is that a HBCU?

The aforementioned institutions are both great institutions of higher learning,however, neither offer a degree leading to a career as a physician assistant (PA).

M
DHSc, PA-C

sagar in Nepal

47 months ago

i am a science student and i have got low marks in collage i.e. +2 and i want to continue my study in abroad.so how can i do soo...i m so depressed

Lorina in Richardson, Texas

47 months ago

I checked all those schools (Virginia Union University, Johnson C. Smith University, Alabama State University, or Morgan State) but neither one has a PA program. Could you please clarify this for us?

Thanks

jeff in Marietta, Ohio

47 months ago

sagar in Nepal said: i am a science student and i have got low marks in collage i.e. +2 and i want to continue my study in abroad.so how can i do soo...i m so depressed

You need a lot of money to study in USA. Tuition to a state university for foreign students is upwards of $40k.

47 months ago

jeff in Marietta, Ohio said: You need a lot of money to study in USA. Tuition to a state university for foreign students is upwards of $40k.

Sagar in Nepal,

In addition to cost you may face a lot of obstacles to pursue your desire to study PA here in the United States (US). Most U.S. institutions will require an evaluation of your degree, because it was earned outside of the United States. Plus getting a student VISA is a long and tedious process, which you may wish to start early, along with applying to schools here, that you wish to enroll in.

Also, I recommend you do some research on funding your education and cost-of-living in the United States. As “Jeff in Marietta indicated cost can start around $40k (USD) to upwards of $60k (USD) per year of study and that doesn’t in many cases include living cost.

I will be honest with you, American college graduates with low GPAs/grades find it VERY difficult to get accepted into a program; therefore, it is likely a foreign student w/”low marks” may find it impossible to get accepted into a US college/university.

GOOD LUCK on your pursuit!!

M
DHSc, PA-C

lajes in Boston, Massachusetts

47 months ago

Which schools do not use the CASPA online app?

V in Denver, Colorado

47 months ago

I received rejection letters from the University of Utah and SW Medical in Dallas, TX. I am so bummed but after reading these post I am determined to be a PA. I will just keep applying and I will get in somewhere.

Jen in Bowling Green, Ohio

47 months ago

Is it possible to have a "C" or two on your transcript and still get accepted into a PA program? I received a "C" my first semester of college and in biochemistry which seem to keep coming back to haunt me. Is this going to be the one thing standing between me and the PA school that I want to go to?

jeff in Paden City, West Virginia

47 months ago

BetterHealthcare in Atlanta, Georgia said: Sagar in Nepal,

In addition to cost you may face a lot of obstacles to pursue your desire to study PA here in the United States (US). Most U.S. institutions will require an evaluation of your degree, because it was earned outside of the United States. Plus getting a student VISA is a long and tedious process, which you may wish to start early, along with applying to schools here, that you wish to enroll in.

Also, I recommend you do some research on funding your education and cost-of-living in the United States. As “Jeff in Marietta indicated cost can start around $40k (USD) to upwards of $60k (USD) per year of study and that doesn’t in many cases include living cost.

I will be honest with you, American college graduates with low GPAs/grades find it VERY difficult to get accepted into a program; therefore, it is likely a foreign student w/”low marks” may find it impossible to get accepted into a US college/university.

I had a 2nd, longer post the system wouldn't accept for some reason. You hit all the points I made and more, but with how vague the post is, I'd like to reiterate to the poster that a PA degree is a masters program (most commonly). And also the poster should research where a PA degree is recognized in the world. I don't believe Nepal recognizes PAs.

jeff in Paden City, West Virginia

47 months ago

Jen in Bowling Green, Ohio said: Is it possible to have a "C" or two on your transcript and still get accepted into a PA program? I received a "C" my first semester of college and in biochemistry which seem to keep coming back to haunt me. Is this going to be the one thing standing between me and the PA school that I want to go to?

Programs have differing specific prereqs. I've seen some that don't require Biochem, but it would still hurt your overall science GPA. Some programs require it, and have unusual wording as to what is accepted. Kettering College, for instance, states they want a 3.0 for all prerequisite classes, which means you'd have to retake it. They also go through CASPA, which doesn't accept grade forgiveness so the "C" will still be averaged in.

Maybe look into a program that is BA/MS? There are 3yr programs that will admit you as an undergrad Sr. Could be an option

Lorina in Euless, Texas

46 months ago

Carla Easley in Stafford, Virginia said: If you apply to Virginia Union University, Johnson C. Smith University, Alabama State University, or Morgan State, There's a pretty good chance that you'll get accepted. I got accepted to all of these schools with a 2.5 GPA.

I checked all those schools (Virginia Union University, Johnson C. Smith University, Alabama State University, or Morgan State) but neither one has a PA program. Could you please clarify this for us?

Thanks

Vanessa Iglesias in El Paso, Texas

46 months ago

Hello everyone!I submitted my application about 3 weeks ago to 8 different school I havent heard anything yet haha I am so anxious!! I applied to San Antonio, Edinburg, Samuel Merritt University,Rosalind Franklin University, Butler University, NY Institute of Technology, Salus University, and Philadelphia University. These schools interest me the most and fits my criteria for what I am looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

V

46 months ago

Good luck to you. I applied to five and have recd two rejection letters so far. This is my second year applying. I have a 3.6 GPA and a 3.0 Science GPA.

Ann in Brooklyn, New York

46 months ago

Hi everyone, how long does Caspa normally takes to verify or gpa calculations? Although the website says the maximum is two to four weeks? Thanks:)

46 months ago

V said: Good luck to you. I applied to five and have recd two rejection letters so far. This is my second year applying. I have a 3.6 GPA and a 3.0 Science GPA.

thanks. Good luck to you too! I have been working on interview questions just in case if I receive a letter.

46 months ago

Ann in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi everyone, how long does Caspa normally takes to verify or gpa calculations? Although the website says the maximum is two to four weeks? Thanks:)

hi Ann. For my application it took CASPA about 3 weeks to verify, calculate GPA and send out the app to my destinations.

Ann in Brooklyn, New York

46 months ago

Vanessa Iglesias in El Paso, Texas said: hi Ann. For my application it took CASPA about 3 weeks to verify, calculate GPA and send out the app to my destinations.

Vanessa, Thanks for getting back to me. I am just waiting for Caspa to verify my application which I think will take another three weeks, but my school deadline is approaching soon. I think the deadline is to have Caspa application filled out by then.

So does that mean after the gpa calculation, Caspa sends out to the schools?

46 months ago

Ann in Brooklyn, New York said: Vanessa, Thanks for getting back to me. I am just waiting for Caspa to verify my application which I think will take another three weeks, but my school deadline is approaching soon. I think the deadline is to have Caspa application filled out by then.

So does that mean after the gpa calculation, Caspa sends out to the schools?

To my understanding, yes after the gpa is calculated and verified by ur transcripts then CASPA will email u saying that it's ready to be sent. It took about 5 business days after that when I started getting emails from my schools that they received my application frm CASPA.

46 months ago

Has anyone had an interview at the schools I applied to? How was your experience and their interview questions? I applied to San Antonio, Edinburg, Samuel Merritt University,Rosalind Franklin University, Butler University, NY Institute of Technology, Salus University, and Philadelphia University. Thank you :)

46 months ago

BetterHealthcare in Atlanta, Georgia said: TrevTamp,

You are just as competitive with your current numbers as most; go forward; if for whatever reason you are not selected DO NOT let that deter you. As I mentioned before admission committees can be very a fickle group from one day to the next.

Also, I have seen where timing has played a significant role in why one person was selected and one person was not.

M
DHSc, PA-C

Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately, NOVA told me that I fall just barely short of their point total for an interview. I am supposed to send multiple letters of rec. to the admissions woman and she is going to try and convince the admissions committee to give me an interview. I'm not very optimistic.

Hopefully Barry will interview me.

V in Arvada, Colorado

46 months ago

Thanks M DHSc, PA-C for all your postive feedback. I was really disappointed when I received two rejection letters a few weeks ago. However, after reading several of your posts I picked my self up, dusted myself off and realized being a PA is what I really want to be. I still have few schools out there that I am waiting to hear from. I have decided that if I do not get in this year that I am going to become and EMT and apply to PA school again next year.

Thanks again,

Virginia

46 months ago

V said: Good luck to you. I applied to five and have recd two rejection letters so far. This is my second year applying. I have a 3.6 GPA and a 3.0 Science GPA.

V,

You just have to be persistent, keep in mind the admission committee is looking at more than good GPAs. Hopefully, your GRE/MCAT scores were competitive; along with all of the other requirements.

Good luck in getting accepted into a PA program.

M
DHSc, PA-C

46 months ago

TrevTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately, NOVA told me that I fall just barely short of their point total for an interview. I am supposed to send multiple letters of rec. to the admissions woman and she is going to try and convince the admissions committee to give me an interview. I'm not very optimistic.

Hopefully Barry will interview me.

TrevTampa

I know rejection can be very disheartening, but DO NOT let it keep you from seeing the prize at the end. If a program official is willing to work on your behalf, PLEASE take advantage of the offer even if it turns out to be hollow. At this point “you have nothing to really lose, but on the other hand you have everything to lose” (Salah ad-Din Yusuf ibn Ayyub).

Stay focus and be persistent and GOOD LUCK with Barry.

M
DHSc, PA-C

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.