Advantages of PA vs Physician

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1001 to 1050 of 1132)
Page:  « First « Previous   18  19  20  21  22  23  Next »   Last »

teacher2PA in Brooklyn, New York

28 months ago

Hello everyone. I am a NYC teacher who is almost at the 10 year mark which will entitle me to my pension. I graduated from Brown U in 97 and was premeditated. I always had this innate desire to pursue medicine, but as a single mom itvwould have been difficult to go to med school and not work. I am now considering PA as my many friends who are MDs consider PAs golden and given my age and finances, med school is out of reach for me. I reached out to SUNY DOWNSTATE and they have alerted me thatvi would have to take AP, CHEM and my biologies over because they are so outdated. They recommended i try the CLEP courses to lessen the time and especially since I am still working. Here is my request from all of you in this wonderful blog: 1) are there any PAs out there who started as a second career, if so how was the transition? 2) how is the workload? Can i work parttime or is it best to.just knock it all out and concentrate solely on my studies? 3) should i be volunteering now before I apply? 4) do I sound crazy changing careers so late? Lil 5) are there any 2nd career programs out there?
Thanks for all of your help (hey Omar..any thoughts?)
Teach2PA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

teacher2PA in Brooklyn, New York

28 months ago

*pre med not premeditated..that's what I get for not proofreading lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cathy in Albuquerque, New Mexico

28 months ago

Naima in Bronx, New York said: Thank you Omar. I'm really worried, I got rejected from SUNY Downstate PA program, which was my number one choice. So far I just got one interview and im not sure if I will start a PA program this year fall. I think I need to apply out of New York City. I can't be optimistic at this point. I know I really want to be a PA and I don't know what else I can do. I shadowed PAs, I did and am still doing research. The only blemish in my application is that I messed up in organic chemistry. I had to retake it but I still maintained a descent GPA and graduated with CUM Laude but I guess it's not good enough for PA school. Any advise? Thanks
-Naima

Naima,

This may sound a little to much like an annoying pep talk, but be optimistic. I got two interviews this past fall, and was rejected from all other schools I applied too. (I applied to quite a few. Imagine getting ten rejections. Depressing.) One school outright wait listed me, the other never got back to me until two weeks before program start. They asked me to be apart of their program, and now I'm in quarter II of PA school. And many of my classmates are reapplicants. So keep crossing your fingers!

Naima in Bronx, New York

28 months ago

Thanks Cathy. I will and am crossing my fingers. I want to start ASAP. :(
-Naima

VEEKTOREA in Tucson, Arizona

28 months ago

Hi,

I am currently a Junior at a university and is pursuing the career in PA school. I am really frustrated as of now because my father had health issues that basically affected me and also affected my first two semester here at the university. Im trying to bring up my GPA right now so that is my main focus. My question to anyone who has gone to PA school or is going through the PA process, Are my chances over? The Ochem is killing me. And as far as i know, i heard that PA admission really want good grades... but is that really all they want? I don't want to give up, and i refuse to give up, but i just would like some support and feedback as to what to do at this point, and how to get myself back on track to successfully enter PA school in the near future. Thank you so much !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike Lowrey in Maywood, Illinois

28 months ago

VEEKTOREA in Tucson, Arizona said: Hi,

I am currently a Junior at a university and is pursuing the career in PA school. I am really frustrated as of now because my father had health issues that basically affected me and also affected my first two semester here at the university. Im trying to bring up my GPA right now so that is my main focus. My question to anyone who has gone to PA school or is going through the PA process, Are my chances over? The Ochem is killing me. And as far as i know, i heard that PA admission really want good grades... but is that really all they want? I don't want to give up, and i refuse to give up, but i just would like some support and feedback as to what to do at this !

Honestly, you're fine. Everybody goes through something that they feel destroyed their chances and this adds character. I think youre ability to explain this if it's asked in the interview will be critical. Own your short comings, Yes I did get a low grade in Orgo, this is what happened BUT since then I've received exceptional grades in my classes. I have learned how to handle adversity. If you retake the class the grade will replace. GPA is a huge factor but there are other factors that are important too. If your potential school requires medical hours go double or triple the requirement. Do what ever you have to to separate your self from the competition. And remember its never over til YOU give up. Fortitude. 4.0 with no experience is not better than a 3.5 2500 patient care hours with a letter of Rec from a PA. Be sure to talk to Omar, he's a good guy. I took a flight to DC and shadowed him. Side note, there are tons of schools that don't even require orgo, schools such as Howard U. You have to be willing to go whereever (as long as Pance rate is high) to get this done. Things happen. But my question to you friend is How bad do you want it

28 months ago

Thank you mike!!! I felt that i really needed to hear it from someone who is walking through my shoes also. How do i get in contact with Omar?

Thanks!!!

Mike Lowrey in Benton Harbor, Michigan

28 months ago

VEEKTOREA in Tucson, Arizona said: Thank you mike!!! I felt that i really needed to hear it from someone who is walking through my shoes also. How do i get in contact with Omar?

Thanks!!!

Lol no problem. Trust I've been there. But Omar reads all the post on the website, he'll prob be contacting more sooner than later. But if not let me know and I'll email you his contact information. As I said its a long journey, use ya head follow heart. You'll be fine. Side note look up requirements for dream schools and speak to an advisor to ensure you're taking the right classes. Learned the hard way with micro bio. Good luck
Mike

28 months ago

Mike Lowrey in Benton Harbor, Michigan said: Lol no problem. Trust I've been there. But Omar reads all the post on the website, he'll prob be contacting more sooner than later. But if not let me know and I'll email you his contact information. As I said its a long journey, use ya head follow heart. You'll be fine. Side note look up requirements for dream schools and speak to an advisor to ensure you're taking the right classes. Learned the hard way with micro bio. Good luck
Mike

Yep, doing my homework for sure with that. I don't want to take classes i don't need :] I will definitely contact you if anything! You're amazing! Thanks once again!! :]

MANDREW1 in New Haven, Connecticut

28 months ago

There are five key mistakes that most PA school applicants make when applying to PA school. Attend this free webinar and find out what they are and how you can avoid them. Sign up at www.AndrewRodican.com

LaLa in Fresno, California

28 months ago

Hi Omar, I read you went to Howard University to get a Bachelors in PA then went to University of Nebraska for your masters. So how does that work if you already have a PA degree and want a masters. You still have to go through the whole 2 years or does it get waivered? I just got accepted into Howard's PA program and I'm excited yet disappointed at the same time because I didn't get accepted into the Master programs I applied to. Does it really make a difference if you have a Bachelors or Masters to be a PA? Thank you

28 months ago

LaLa in Fresno, California said: Hi Omar, I read you went to Howard University to get a Bachelors in PA then went to University of Nebraska for your masters. So how does that work if you already have a PA degree and want a masters. You still have to go through the whole 2 years or does it get waivered? I just got accepted into Howard's PA program and I'm excited yet disappointed at the same time because I didn't get accepted into the Master programs I applied to. Does it really make a difference if you have a Bachelors or Masters to be a PA? Thank you

For some reason Omar hasn't been posting, prob just has a very busy week. But first off, congrats I know a lot of people applying to PA schools who haven't gotten in. So by no means feel disappointed. I'm still completing pre-reqs but I did have this conversation with him. It doesn't matter if you get a MS or BS. They are both equal because the program is exactly the same regardless of the level. It's more so a certification. Once you complete the PA program and BOARDS your done with that part. You dont redo it flr your masters. The process Omar went through for his masters was like a paper and some type of shadowing he said. So I mean you'll prob pay a couple grand for the classes to get your masters and that's it. The ONLY down side is of you were in the masters program you'd be eligible for the grad school loans. Pay differs more by region, I have a couple buddies that are done telling me Texas and Cali are the best places to work. But congrats mayne

28 months ago

Thank you so much Mike..that helped a lot. I guess I will accept Howard's offer and eventually get my Masters if its has easy as it sounds. Thanks again

28 months ago

Thank you so much Mike. That helped a lot. I guess I will accept Howard's offer and then eventually get my Masters if its as easy as it sounds. Thanks again.

28 months ago

LaLa in Fresno, California said: Thank you so much Mike. That helped a lot. I guess I will accept Howard's offer and then eventually get my Masters if its as easy as it sounds. Thanks again.

No problem. But give Omar a call so he can explain it in more detail 202and549and7136 I had to put the letters in so it didn't pop up all over google.

Omar Abdul-Malik, DHEd., MPAS, PA in Washington, District of Columbia

27 months ago

That's very kind and prudent advice you have given this individual Mr.Lowery. I think you're going to be a great leader in this field.;)

27 months ago

teacher2PA in Brooklyn, New York said: Hello everyone. I am a NYC teacher who is almost at the 10 year mark which will entitle me to my pension. I graduated from Brown U in 97 and was premeditated. I always had this innate desire to pursue medicine, but as a single mom itvwould have been difficult to go to med school and not work. I am now considering PA as my many friends who are MDs consider PAs golden and given my age and finances, med school is out of reach for me. I reached out to SUNY DOWNSTATE and they have alerted me thatvi would have to take AP, CHEM and my biologies over because they are so outdated. They recommended i try the CLEP courses to lessen the time and especially since I am still working. Here is my request from all of you in this wonderful blog: 1) are there any PAs out there who started as a second career, if so how was the transition? 2) how is the workload? Can i work parttime or is it best to.just knock it all out and concentrate solely on my studies? 3) should i be volunteering now before I apply? 4) do I sound crazy changing careers so late? Lil 5) are there any 2nd career programs out there?
Thanks for all of your help (hey Omar..any thoughts?)
Teach2PA

Hi Teacher2PA! Sorry, I didn't respond to you and others' post as quickly as usual. I have been EXTREMELY busy (given lectures, working, studying for my board recert x-am, and family man stuff; that's just a FEW of the things I'm involved in). Anyway, I really attempt to give high quality answers to everyone who has questions on this blog. I am going to answer your questions later today in a longer post. I was actually a THIRD career person before applying to PA school (CNA, then Biologist for a Bio Tech firm), In fact, I was studying for my Praxis teaching x-am before applying to PA school. So I fully appreciate your concerns.Oh yeah. call 202 me 549 -if 7136 want to.

27 months ago

VEEKTOREA in Tucson, Arizona said: Hi,

I am currently a Junior at a university and is pursuing the career in PA school. I am really frustrated as of now because my father had health issues that basically affected me and also affected my first two semester here at the university. Im trying to bring up my GPA right now so that is my main focus. My question to anyone who has gone to PA school or is going through the PA process, Are my chances over? The Ochem is killing me. And as far as i know, i heard that PA admission really want good grades... but is that really all they want? I don't want to give up, and i refuse to give up, but i just would like some support and feedback as to what to do at this point, and how to get myself back on track to successfully enter PA school in the near future. Thank you so much !

HI V . Don't give up! You are an outstanding candidate and that's coming from someone who has served on PA admissions committees for several years. I've seen many fine candidates (even a couple of bad ones). I'll give you a gaem plan in a longer e-mail. I have been really busy over the past several days. Thus, I have'nt been as quick to answer mail (SORRY GUYS) :0 202 just 549 call 7136 me if you want to talk

27 months ago

LaLa in Fresno, California said: Hi Omar, I read you went to Howard University to get a Bachelors in PA then went to University of Nebraska for your masters. So how does that work if you already have a PA degree and want a masters. You still have to go through the whole 2 years or does it get waivered? I just got accepted into Howard's PA program and I'm excited yet disappointed at the same time because I didn't get accepted into the Master programs I applied to. Does it really make a difference if you have a Bachelors or Masters to be a PA? Thank you

It all depends. I'll give you a longer, better explaination later this afternoon! I've been REALLY busy. I really want to help you. Please look at UNive. of Nebraska or A.T. Still distance learning option MAster's for PA I graduated from both of these fine institution (my MPAS from Univ. Neb & Doctorate from ATSU). you 202 549 can 7136 call me and we'll talk also.
Some places want PAs w/ Masters but save your $ by going to HU and do you MPAS, MPH, or MHA after graduating. PASS PANCE ! MOST IMPORTANT!!!

27 months ago

When is a good time to call you. I also plan on obtaining my MPH because I have a bachelors in public health and can you explain distant learning..lastly..is it really hard to find a job if you only have a bachelors in PA..Thank you so much for your help!! I do plan on attending Howard since that was the only school that wanted me :)...I just need help deciding what to do afterwards. So your help is greatly appreciated!!!

27 months ago

Hi LaLa ! First, I am SO proud of you getting accepted into HU's PA program. It's a great school. It is not hard to find a job if you "only" have a BS. The MOST important thing is passing your PANCE (preferably the FIRST time). Distance learning option (DLO) is an educational paradigm which allows the student to complete his/her degree in non-"brick and mortar" (in person at a building) a format (Internet, mail order). It has become increasingly popular and many prestigious institutions are adopting it (e.g. Johns Hopkins, A.T. Still Univ). Some DLO programs can be completed in as little as 1 yr (that's how long it took me to do my MPAS). Just PLEASE make sure the program is ACCREDITED (MOST IMPORTANT !!!!) ! If it is a PA DLO, it should be regionally accredited (various agencies) and DEFINITELY accredited by the National Commission of Certification of PAs (NCCPA). AFTER PA school, there are SO MANY things you can do! It's just AWESOME! I'm on the speaker's panel for some for profit and non-profit agencies. I also function in primary care at a small clinic in DC. I'm also involved in research and health administration. I had no IDEA the PA feild could be so dynamic when I first heard about 20 years ago. Anyway, I'm rambling. Please feel free to call at around 4:00 or this weekend.

27 months ago

Omar Abdul-Malik, DHEd., MPAS, PA in Washington, District of Columbia said: That's very kind and prudent advice you have given this individual Mr.Lowery. I think you're going to be a great leader in this field.;)

Lol i dont know where id be without you Omar. I'm just paying it forward, will help as many people along the way as possible and be a mentor after. Just following your lead. S/N LALA I know a lot of people in dc look me up on Facebook Robert A Robinson III will be happy to intro you. I know how it feels to be in a new city and not know a lot of people. Peace

27 months ago

Thanks ! :)

FuturePA in Asheville, North Carolina

27 months ago

Hey friends,
So I graduated from Georgia Tech with a 3.42 GPA and all that good stuff. However, GT didnt offer Anatomy and Phys. 1 or 2 which is a prereq for most PA schools I've researched.

question:
Does it matter if I take A&P 1&2 at a community college? (A-B Technical College in Asheville, NC) Would that look bad? Otherwise, UNC (a state institution) offers 2 courses: Human anatomy and Mammalian Physiology.

27 months ago

FuturePA in Asheville, North Carolina said: Hey friends,
So I graduated from Georgia Tech with a 3.42 GPA and all that good stuff. However, GT didnt offer Anatomy and Phys. 1 or 2 which is a prereq for most PA schools I've researched.

question:
Does it matter if I take A&P 1&2 at a community college? (A-B Technical College in Asheville, NC) Would that look bad? Otherwise, UNC (a state institution) offers 2 courses: Human anatomy and Mammalian Physiology.

First off welcome. If i were you Id get a list of your top 10 potential schools and look at their requirements which I know you probably have. But send an official transcript to an advisor to double check that all of your classes that youve taken are the correct ones and to ensure that you don't need any other ones. I'd also cross reference any future classes, wasting time is the worst thing you can do. Learn from my mistake with microbiology -___- I wld also contact potential schools and see how many classes you can take at a community college. Mercy college only accepts like one or two from a community college for example. I've been told it will look better to have your classes come from a four year school by a few advisors but honestly you have to do what you have to do. Accumulate some patient care hours and shadow a PA. Good luck, Omar has been a big help to me I'd speak to him directly on this forum.

Omar Abdu-Malik, DHEd., MPSA, PA in Washington, District of Columbia

27 months ago

Hi FuturePA. No, it SHOULD not matter WHERE you take A & P as long as it an ACCREDITED school (Community college, local 4 year, univ. etc.). I would check with the school to which you plan on applying. You really should have A & P before you get into PA school. It makes it considerably easier when you are taking Gross Anatomy or PA-level Physio. Plus, you will understand you Inro to Physical exam class better and others (Patho-Physiology, Clinical medicine, etc.). I hope this helped.
I wish you well! :)

27 months ago

Omar Abdul-Malik, DHEd., MPAS, PA in Washington, District of Columbia said: HI V . Don't give up! You are an outstanding candidate and that's coming from someone who has served on PA admissions committees for several years. I've seen many fine candidates (even a couple of bad ones). I'll give you a gaem plan in a longer e-mail. I have been really busy over the past several days. Thus, I have'nt been as quick to answer mail (SORRY GUYS) :0 202 just 549 call 7136 me if you want to talk

Hi! Is there an email i can reach you? Id love to hear your advice! It would really help me out and keep me motivated and focused and feel that my chances are still there for me. Thank you!!!

27 months ago

OAbdulMali@aol.com or 202 call 549 me 7136

Omar

nyounis in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

27 months ago

Omar Abdul-Malik, MPAS, PA in Fort Washington, Maryland said: I will do that Kyle. Right now, it's only 50 pages. I want to make it at least 100 pages. I have added some interviews I contucted of PAs in various fields so people could get a decent idea of the different things PAs can do. I want to be sure it is as accurate as possible. It probably won't be ready for another year. I have been really busy trying to finish this doctorate I'm doing.

dear Omar,
Please give me your phone # I will call you ASAP,b/c I have the same situation with my son,and I need your advice.My youngust son name is Omar!
Neima Younis

Omar Abdul-Malik, DHEd, MPAS, PA in Washington, District of Columbia

27 months ago

Salam a'laikum! Here 202 you 549 go 7136 , Neima! Are you calling Dubai ? I think there is an 8 hour time difference. I am on Eastern Standard Time (EST). Anyway, I hope I can help.
Peace

Squirrelly in Christiansburg, Virginia

27 months ago

When did you interview at Howard ?

Squirrelly in Christiansburg, Virginia

27 months ago

When did you interview ?

27 months ago

Squirrelly- The weird thing is I didn't have a interview. I just applied and a few months later received my acceptance letter in the mail. I'm not sure how that happened, but I was happy!!!

27 months ago

Squirrelly- The weird thing is I didn't have a interview. I just applied and a few months later received my acceptance letter in the mail. I'm not sure how that happened, but I was happy!!!

27 months ago

Squirrelly-The weird thing is I didn't have a interview. I applied and a few months later received the acceptance letter in the mail. I'm not sure how that happened, but I was happy!!

27 months ago

Congratulation ,please let me know how to apply for the Howard PA program,i am asking on behalf of my son.is it directly to Howard ?please let me know.

Thanks,
Neima

Omar Abdul-Malik, DHEd, MPAS,PA in Washington, District of Columbia

27 months ago

Greetings Squirrley. To whom are you addressing your question? If it's me, I interviewed in 97',was accepted, then finished in 2000.

Nancy in Brandon, Florida

27 months ago

Hi everyone. I'm in process of getting my BS. I know that I need a 4yrs bachelor to apply for PA school. However, I'm wondering if I should start my application process during my senior year or wait until I graduate and receive my BS degree. Thanks

27 months ago

Hi Nancy! It's great to "meet" you. I would like to know more about your situation before extolling advice. What is your major? How many PA pre-reqs have you completed? How many volunteer hours do you have? Are you working in the health field now? To which schools do you plan on applying? All of these things should be considered in your "game plan" when applying to PA school. Apparently, things have become WAAAAY more competitive since I applied back in the late 90's. You've got to be very organized in how you approach your application process. Otherwise you'll waste tremendous amounts of time and money. I'll do what I can to help you. I hope to "hear" from you soon.

Nancy in Brandon, Florida

27 months ago

Omar Abdul-Malik, DHEd., MPAS, PA in Washington, District of Columbia said: Hi Nancy! It's great to "meet" you. I would like to know more about your situation before extolling advice. What is your major? How many PA pre-reqs have you completed? How many volunteer hours do you have? Are you working in the health field now? To which schools do you plan on applying? All of these things should be considered in your "game plan" when applying to PA school. Apparently, things have become WAAAAY more competitive since I applied back in the late 90's. You've got to be very organized in how you approach your application process. Otherwise you'll waste tremendous amounts of time and money. I'll do what I can to help you. I hope to "hear" from you soon.

Thank you for replying Omar. I already get all my prerequisite classes done, but I just need to get my BS in Health Sciences done at the end of spring 2013. I'm not working in any kind of health care setting right now, but I already have mine CNA license. I plan to study my GRE this summer and find a job as a CNA, then thinking about apply to PA school in the Fall. So I'm wondering should I start applying in the beginning of my senior year or should I take a break and work and earn more hour in health care setting.

27 months ago

Hi again, Nancy. It really depends on how strong a candidate you think you'll be. If you apply in your senior year, some school may look at you as "unfinished"; acceptance to their PA program contigent upon graduating from undergrad. I was really in awe of some of the folks I interviewed for one PA program (master's degree, ABD/PhD, International medical graduates, researchers). You want to be a REALLY strong candidate; be SHOCKED if you don't get n as oppossed to SHOCKED if you DO get in; know what I mean? I believe if you are patient; finish your degree (VERY good major you're doing BTW)establish work as a CNA, THEN apply to PA school, you'll be VERY strong candidate. Understand, some PA schools are getting hundreds; maybe thousands of applicants for only 20-40 spots (depending on the program). You want to have ABOVE the minimum requirements... (degreeGPA,.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

...(cont'd)volunteer hours, work experience, etc.Please understand this (EVERY PRE-PA STUDENT WHO READS THIS BLOG!)It is ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL that you get an INTERVIEW!If you get an interview,you can at least "sell yourself" to the admissions committee (i.e. charm, charisma, dashing good looks, whatever it takes!).HOWEVER, the only way to get the interview is to have your "papers in order" (diplomas, grades, documented volunteer hours, etc.).If the school requires a BS, you want to have at LEAST that.If the school wants a min.GPA of 3.00,YOU should have HIGHER than that.If the school wants 100 volunteer hrs, you should have MORE than that! See where I'm going with this? As an applicant, you want to be among that ELITE group of people, who a PA program would be PRIVILEGED to have in their program! Try as much as possible to GUARANTEE yourself an interview! interview.

27 months ago

Thank you so much for the good advice.

Neima

Mina in Aston, Pennsylvania

27 months ago

This comment is for Omar Abdul-Malik
Hello I have followed this thread for a few years now and all the info has been helpful. I am a prior Howard University student, nursing major. I actually would've been graduating next week if things went according to plan. I have a dilemna, and need ur advice. I was placed on academic suspension from Howard, then came home and went to a local community college and was placed on academic suspension again. I'll be honest, my Howard suspension was due to my immaturity, and the constant parties and my newfound freedom caused my GPA to sink. However, there are other situations that I've faced since then- homelessness, and having a child. I haven't been in school since summer 2010 and I plan to return to a local community college next month for an EMT course that I started but never finished.
Should I just give up now on becoming a PA? Reps are gonna see my GPAs and think oh no, we can't admit her, I mean I have Fs and withdrawals all over the place. I browse PA forums and notice people that get interviews have GPAs at about 3.5. To get admitted they are even higher. I am ready and willing to put in the work, but I'm not a dreamer and I want to be realistic about this. I'm already in debt (thanks Howard) lol and I don't need any more unneccessary debt.
Should I return to Howard for undergrad? lol I know this is a personal decision I have to make, however Howard's plans of study are COMPLETELY different from all the other colleges. I noticed this when I came home and realized that my Chemistry for Health Sciences courses aren't the same as General/College chemistry. Plus with Howard's required exercise and african american courses, it'll just be extremely hard to get THEIR pre-reqs without being a Howard student. I received info that Howard is becoming a master's program, and I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket, and if Howard doesn't end up accepting me, then I'm SOL. Thanks for reading.

27 months ago

Hi Mina!You're not alone with the bad grades! Some of mine were HORRIBLE! (Fs,Ds,Ws). I also didn't finish nursing school (early 90s)or my EMT course (late 80s). Oh yeah, and was temporily homeless too (not fun). But HEY NOW I'm a PA w/ a Master's AND a Doctorate no less. I don't say that to brag, just to tell you that YOU CAN DO THIS! It may take a bit longer than you want, but if you are persistent and patient with your situation and abilities, I believe you can indeed become a PA. Now, here's what you gotta do, get a SERIOUS game plan together. I would like you to look at what you feel to be the pros and cons of your situation (e.g. single mom, financially strapped, history of uncompleted programs, age, family/friend support, etc.). I will work w/ you to see how you can make these positives. For example, it...(AAAH running out of space!)..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

answer to Mina (cont'd)...for example,it appears you haven't finished any program you started! This is what an admission member would probably say ("Now you want to come into OUR program?! Not a chance young lady!"). However, if you look at this in a DIFFERENT way, I think you've shown that you have a sincere interest in the allied health field and are willing to at least TRY different aspects of it (i.e. nursing, EMT, etc.). This is actually a key component of being a good PA student, (i.e.willness to try different things). Your were homeless, GOOD, you have shown that you can overcome adversity. You're a single mom,GOOD, NOW, unlike before, you have a VERY POWERFUL impetus for being more serious about your studies (i.e. being a provider and role model for your child). See where I'm going with this? Others may see in you a very weak... candidate; one wh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MANDREW1 in New Haven, Connecticut

27 months ago

Great webinar coming up on "The Five Major Mistakes You Must Never Make When Applying to PA School" To sign up visit www.AndrewRodican.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

...(more to Mina cont'd)...one who lacks committment and the discipline needed to make it through PA school. HOWEVER, YOU have to be the one to make the Covey-like "paradigm shift" (turn your "life's lemons into lemondade" kind of thing). YOU must first believe in yourself and your abilities. Don't let people make you feel like your bad grades are a reflection of who you are as a person (one of my professors told me this when I was on academic probation). HAH! In the realm of academia, your grades are kind of like your credit score in the "real/work" world.
As far as being a single mom is concerned, I have had several young women who were my PA students, who did VERY well! With your money situation, try applying for the Health and Human Services Coprs. The HHSC will PAY your ENTIRE tuition AND give you a stipend. You... have

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

...(answer to Mina part 4)...just have to serve as a PA in an underserved area for how ever many years of your schooling they pay for. This is a VERY good option for PA (you guys out there, heed this!).There is a MARKED shortage of MDs working in primary care in underserved areas (rural and urban). These communities DESPERATELY need primary care clinicians who are willing to work to manage primary care diseases. Lastly,I don't know if HU is going to become a graduate-level program or not. They were saying this when I got in back in 97'. I would apply there since you have an established history there. Yes, they've got that African American history course. Just try to take it there and see what happens. It may take you an additional year to get your GPA up to par (heck, it took me TWO). You can do this,Mina! Don't give up!202 please 549 call 7136 me call me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

binti in Wilmington, Delaware

27 months ago

Omar, I read your comments to Mina and was truly motivated and was hoping you would have some words of inspiration for me. By the way Mina I echo Omar's sentiments. You can do it. I too faced unbelievable odds and am now a PA. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Omar, I am a physician assistant and feel that my career has never taken off. I am stuck in a rut and don't know how to become motivated. I feel so blessed to have become a PA given my odds, but with my lack of opportunities I feel stuck. It is about 1am and I am up still stressing about my current position. How can I live up to my full potential as a PA?

Page:  « First « Previous   18  19  20  21  22  23  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.