Applying to CUNY York College Physician Assistant Program

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (42)

Maria in Clarksburg, Maryland

53 months ago

Heyy Fayyaz, congrats for getting into York!! If you don't mind can you tell me how you got in, like what was your undergrad GPA, what did you do for your patient hours, and what basically set you apart for all the other applicants. I hear getting into PA school is very very competitive now.. :/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rohan in Forest Hills, New York

52 months ago

Um i think he's talking about getting into pre-pa at york, which really anybody can do. It's the 3rd year (Didactic) portion where they evaluate all applicants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

fayyaz in Elmont, New York

52 months ago

Maria in Clarksburg, Maryland said: Heyy Fayyaz, congrats for getting into York!! If you don't mind can you tell me how you got in, like what was your undergrad GPA, what did you do for your patient hours, and what basically set you apart for all the other applicants. I hear getting into PA school is very very competitive now.. :/

Hey Maria, I has a nice gpa in h.s- but I did not get into the program, I just got into the school, now I need to focus on getting into the PA program. Have a really nice SAT score and do voluntary service such as community service. Hope that helped. =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Star in New York, New York

50 months ago

fayyaz in Elmont, New York said: Hey Maria, I has a nice gpa in h.s- but I did not get into the program, I just got into the school, now I need to focus on getting into the PA program. Have a really nice SAT score and do voluntary service such as community service. Hope that helped. =)

they do not look sat score. they select applicant base on pre-pa GPA, health related experience and essay for interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yuri in Forest Hills, New York

45 months ago

Star in New York, New York said: they do not look sat score. they select applicant base on pre-pa GPA, health related experience and essay for interview.

How much of a GPQ do u need in the pre pa program to get into the program

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Marissa in Binghamton, New York

41 months ago

Does anybody know the types of questions asked at CUNY yorks P.A. program interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Flushing, New York

39 months ago

Dear all,

I am a sophomore at a CUNY Community College with a GPA of 3.8 (Only A's and B's). I applied to the PA Program at York College for Fall'11 and got accepted for the interview. I had nearly 250 patient hours. Right now I'm waiting for my acceptance letter. My interview was 40 min long and all I had to do was to just be myself. The asked me questions regarding my volunteer experience, my future plans etc and at the end I had to write an essay. Also, what set my application apart from others was a year of undergraduate research, a good gpa and strong recommendations. At York, the class size is max 30 students. And no, they don't look at SAT scores and you need to have min 72 credits before entering into the program.

Hope this helps.

Good luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Flushing, New York

39 months ago

Hey Mary,
Congrats on your interview. Did you get accepted to the program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tara in New York, New York

38 months ago

Congrats Mary on your interview, I do hope you get into the program.

Has anyone applied to and attended the City College PA Program?
I would like to know how your interview process went and what could be the very thing that makes them really want me. I am at City now and finishing up my prereqs but any info you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Tara

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kazzie in Forest Hills, New York

36 months ago

Hi, does York offer a PA masters degree or is it just a BS?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Privao in Brooklyn, New York

36 months ago

just a BS degree

lala in Flushing, New York

29 months ago

who has applied for this cycle? heard anything back?

Carmen in Bronx, New York

28 months ago

Mary in Flushing, New York said: Dear all,

I am a sophomore at a CUNY Community College with a GPA of 3.8 (Only A's and B's). I applied to the PA Program at York College for Fall'11 and got accepted for the interview. I had nearly 250 patient hours. Right now I'm waiting for my acceptance letter. My interview was 40 min long and all I had to do was to just be myself. The asked me questions regarding my volunteer experience, my future plans etc and at the end I had to write an essay. Also, what set my application apart from others was a year of undergraduate research, a good gpa and strong recommendations. At York, the class size is max 30 students. And no, they don't look at SAT scores and you need to have min 72 credits before entering into the program.

Hope this helps.

Good luck to all.

hello.. im just recently apply to york. i was wondering did you even take the HPGC class that is part of a requirement for the program???

Diane in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

28 months ago

Carmen in Bronx, New York said: hello.. im just recently apply to york. i was wondering did you even take the HPGC class that is part of a requirement for the program???

Do u mean fall 2012 ? Did They tell you you got in the same day as your interview... How many people do they interview do u no ?

lala in New York, New York

28 months ago

any idea if they tell you whether u are accepted at the interview?

respina in Newport Beach, California

26 months ago

anyone currently attending City pa program??? if so... id like to know about your experience so far, is it really overwhelming? ive heard 5 to 6 people drop out the first semester... =/ do u find yourself studying from morning to night everyday??? or do u have time to relax and have an occasional day to yourself....thanks for input =]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jared in Smithtown, New York

25 months ago

Has anyone applied as a transfer? We have to apply through CUNY and also York? CUNY asks for SAT scores...Transcripts need to be sent to both CUNY and CASPA. How long does it take to be accepted into CUNY? This seems like a long process for a transfer...No?

Julie in Jamaica, New York

25 months ago

Jared,

Are you applying to York as an undergrad or to the PA program? Provide more info. Your questions are not specific. Are you transferring from SUNY or a private school?
1.If you are applying to CUNY as a transfer, they don't ask for SAT scores (assuming you went to college already, and its lagit).
2. You don't need to apply through CASPA to apply to YORK PA program. The application process is 2-step (just like it says on the website):1) to York college, 2) to PA program. Admission to York college doesn't mean admission to the program, But you need to apply to YORK COLLEGE and have your pre-reqs and GPA evaluated in order to apply to the program.

3.Most of the PA students in the YORK PA program are transfers and have completed their pre-reqs at other schools.(I did mine at Queens college). Most took 1-2 courses after they have been accepted to the program that are program specific and only offered at York.

4.If you are talking about transferring to York as an undergrad, the process is not long if you have all the documents and transcripts sent. this process is strictly clerical. Application to the program is a different process and involves more logistics: (volunteer hours, essay, clinical experience, interview prep, references and other formalities).Deadline for next year is Feb, 2013 and I suggest that all of your science courses and volunteering be completed at the time of application.

Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Oops. First of all, I didn't mean CASPA. I am applying to York College as a transfer because I have completed a 4 undergraduate program and received a BS at Syracuse University. I am applying to the PA Program at York and in order to apply, won't I need to apply to CUNY as a transfer and submit transcripts to CUNY/UAPC? Hence why I mentioned submitting SAT scores because when you apply to York College through CUNY, they ask for you to submit your high school transcript to CUNY/UAPC. Is there a specific person I should contact in order to have my pre-reqs and GPA evaluated in order to apply to the PA Program? If the deadline is Feb, 2013, when does the application for the PA Program become available? Also, do you mind telling me a little bit about your experience, GPA, etc. which enabled you to be selected for a seat in the program. I am worried that my GPA is a bit low and won't be selected for an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Jamaica, New York

25 months ago

Noted.

What is your degree in? All pre-reqs completed? Clinical experience?

If you already hold a BS degree, I don't see how they ask you about your SAT scores. I'm sorry I can't be of a value here. Please double check your understanding.

1)To apply to York as a transfer, follow the instructions on website. They are pretty straight forward. They may have changed from the time I was applying, so I don't want to misguide you.

2) Once York admission receives your transcripts, they evaluate it independently from the PA program. Qualifying evaluated transcripts then are forwarded to the program itself, which are then further evaluated and ranked. Upon review candidates for the interview get selected.

3)As far as GPA is concerned: they mostly care about your sciences (bio, micro, chem), but be ready to explain what held you back. our incoming class cut-off was around 3.6, but that said the pre-clinical experience, personal experience and catchy well-developed personal statement can set you apart from others.

4) It may be too early for the application for the following year, because they have just selected candidates for this year and not ready to begin a new process. So, stand by, and make sure to stop by for the advisement in the office. (I suggest closer to the winter). Best of luck.

25 months ago

I've taken all the pre-reqs necessary for applying and earned a BS in Nutrition Science at Syracuse in May. I have a few 100 hours of health care/clinical experience between shadowing various neuro and orthopedic PAs, shadowing a NP, working as a pharmacy technician, and volunteer hours at a hospital in Syracuse.

To me, it seems weird that CUNY is requesting my high school transcript, but I have already had it sent out (along with my transcripts) to CUNY/UAPC. York's GPA requirements for science and cum. are 2.9, but I read that if you have shown signs of an upward trend in the upper level/most recent science courses, you can still be considered. My science GPA is slightly below this, but my cum. is around a 3.25. A 3.6 seems very high for a GPA cut-off, doesn't it? I know it is a very competitive program, but if that's what they're looking for, why would they ask for a minimum or 2.9?

My transcripts have already been received and are supposed to be evaluated by 7/3. I was told that I should come into the registrar's office for the evaluated transcripts and then visit the PA Program as well. Any advice or any other information you may be able to help me with?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sara in South Ozone Park, New York

23 months ago

Julie in Jamaica, New York said: Jared,

Are you applying to York as an undergrad or to the PA program? Provide more info. Your questions are not specific. Are you transferring from SUNY or a private school?
1.If you are applying to CUNY as a transfer, they don't ask for SAT scores (assuming you went to college already, and its lagit).
2. You don't need to apply through CASPA to apply to YORK PA program. The application process is 2-step (just like it says on the website):1) to York college, 2) to PA program. Admission to York college doesn't mean admission to the program, But you need to apply to YORK COLLEGE and have your pre-reqs and GPA evaluated in order to apply to the program.

3.Most of the PA students in the YORK PA program are transfers and have completed their pre-reqs at other schools.(I did mine at Queens college). Most took 1-2 courses after they have been accepted to the program that are program specific and only offered at York.

4.If you are talking about transferring to York as an undergrad, the process is not long if you have all the documents and transcripts sent. this process is strictly clerical . Application to the program is a different process and involves more logistics : (volunteer hours, essay, clinical experience, interview prep, references and other formalities).Deadline for next year is Feb, 2013 and I suggest that all of your science courses and volunteering be completed at the time of application.

Julie, I'm a freshman and I'd like to know that could I apply for the pa program till the 2013 deadline and show them my plan to complete all my pre-req by the time I enter?

Tryingtogetin in Floral Park, New York

22 months ago

Hope this helps.

Good luck to all.

Dear Mary,

Your story sounds just like the path i am on. I was wondering, since your post is 17 months old, if you did in fact get into york's pa program?

Also to ask a few questions, did you have a BS in anything? How many hours of shadowing? were your letters of recommendation from former york students?

thanks for your time and good luck!

eakh04 in North Chicago, Illinois

17 months ago

Hi Mary,

I was wondering if you got accepted into YORK PA PROGRAM? I have couple of questions regarding the INTERVIEW PROCESS. Please let me know. Thank You.

Hope this helps.

Good luck to all.

sarah in South Ozone Park, New York

15 months ago

I just got an interview at CUNY York for the pa program. I have a BS in biology and applied as a transfer. I still need to fulfill the HPGC class requirement but i am hoping i can complete this before the program begins. My interview is coming very soon and i want to be as prepared as possible. Any suggestions from someone who went thru this already?

shirin in Brooklyn, New York

15 months ago

Hey sarah, was wondering what your stats were for this application cycle, was planning to apply for the next cycle.
Thanks

sarah in Deer Park, New York

15 months ago

hey shirin I'll let you know after this week

Tryingtogetin in Elmont, New York

15 months ago

I Had an interview for york a few weeks ago. Will update in 4 weeks when they state who is in and who isnt. They said that 400 applied, out of which 100 were interviewed for 30 seats.

so nervous!

sarah in Deer Park, New York

15 months ago

Tryingtogetin in Elmont, New York said: I Had an interview for york a few weeks ago. Will update in 4 weeks when they state who is in and who isnt. They said that 400 applied, out of which 100 were interviewed for 30 seats.

so nervous!

could you tell me a little about the interview process please

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

I went to my interview and I thought it went great but i am crossing my fingers! I recommend that each applicant be very prepared. The process is about 40 or so minutes. I don't know why but students came in without a suit on! Applicants, you are speaking with your future professors and they are successful doctors please don't make a crucial mistake by taking this lightly. Do not waste your time or their time! This is your time to shine..Let them know what your capable of doing. I wish you all the best of luck!

shirin in Brooklyn, New York

15 months ago

Hey Sarah, glad your interview went well.. you said that applicants should be prepared... how did you prepare, and what time of questions did they ask...Also how was the essay you had to write...I am actually apply for next cycle..but would just like to know what I need to do to prepare...thanks and wish you all the best

15 months ago

shirin in Brooklyn, New York said: Hey Sarah, glad your interview went well.. you said that applicants should be prepared... how did you prepare, and what time of questions did they ask...Also how was the essay you had to write...I am actually apply for next cycle..but would just like to know what I need to do to prepare...thanks and wish you all the best

hey Shirin,

I prepared myself by reading books on how to get into PA school. The questions asked were similar to the ones found on the American PA website! You should be aware of whats going on with healthcare at the present moment. Practice answering questions to an audience like brother sister or friend. I wrote my essay on a personal experience I had with a Physician Assistant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

KC in East Rockaway, New York

15 months ago

Hi Sarah,

I also had my interview. Quick question, did you have a writing prompt on the computer in addition to your essay during the interview? I did not have to write an essay, just answer some questions on the computer.

Thanks!

KC in East Rockaway, New York

15 months ago

sarah in South Ozone Park, New York said: hey Shirin,

I prepared myself by reading books on how to get into PA school. The questions asked were similar to the ones found on the American PA website! You should be aware of whats going on with healthcare at the present moment. Practice answering questions to an audience like brother sister or friend. I wrote my essay on a personal experience I had with a Physician Assistant .

Hi Sarah,

I also had my interview. Quick question, did you have a writing prompt on the computer in addition to your essay during the interview? I did not have to write an essay, just answer some questions on the computer.

Thanks!

Tryingtogetin in Elmont, New York

13 months ago

I got in =)

Misswifie in Brooklyn, New York

13 months ago

Tryingtogetin in Elmont, New York said: I got in =)

Congratz! Details please, my best friend has always wanted to be a P.A. Did you have experience in healthcare, what type of grades? Thahnks.

Misswifie in Brooklyn, New York

13 months ago

Hope this helps.

Good luck to all.

My best bud, who wants to be a PA has 2 years experience in emergency room, do you think it would give me an edge to getting in?

nervous&excited in Bronx, New York

6 months ago

Hello! I am applying for York's PA program this February. What are my chances of getting into this program? My cumulative gpa is 3.5 my science gpa is likely 2.9 or higher. Though, I have taken chemistry more than once. The first time I got an F. I will get an A this semester. How will this affect my chances?
I have 250 documented hours at a private clinic and loads of volunteer experience. I currently work as an office manager for an occupational therapy practice.

Julie in Jamaica, New York said: Jared,

4.If you are talking about transferring to York as an undergrad, the process is not long if you have all the documents and transcripts sent. this process is strictly clerical . Application to the program is a different process and involves more logistics : (volunteer hours, essay, clinical experience, interview prep, references and other formalities).Deadline for next year is Feb, 2013 and I suggest that all of your science courses and volunteering be completed at the time of application.

Best of luck!

Purple03 in New York, New York

4 months ago

Hi I have an interview at York College PA program next. Can anyone please tell what kind of questions to expect? How should I prepare for it?

Purple03 in New York, New York

4 months ago

sarah in Deer Park, New York said: could you tell me a little about the interview process please

Hi Sarah,
Would you please brief me more on how to prepare for the interview? Were you asked any ethical or behavioral type questions?

Rene in Bronx, New York

2 months ago

So I applied for the PA program in YORK college and the enrollment. Wait I'm a highschool senior my GPA is a solid 3.4 for all four years. When do they talk to people and let them know who got in what's going on etc etc. I already got into the college I got accpeted that was not a problem...so no what am I waiting for? Like I'm worried and lost...some would be greatly appreciated

Rene in Bronx, New York

2 months ago

I am 18 and a certified EMT. That is my part time job but I want to be a PA since it has more or less the same pre med classes. So I just want to know what is going on I got accepted and I know I have to get accepted into the program as well so please tell me something. Anything?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.