Associates Degree

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 104)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Reggie in Tampa, Florida

81 months ago

I live in Florida and there are three Physician Assistant Programs in this state. One being in Miami Dade. Miami Dade is a two year program that cost 20,000 and the other two cost 100,000. Is the Miami Dade PA program a legit program? You only graduate with an AS degree but you are able to sit for your PA license.

Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Reggie in Tampa, Florida

78 months ago

Hanna, what program did you go to for PA training and how long have you been practicing?

Thanks in advance,

Reggie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hanna in Akron, Ohio

78 months ago

I have been practicing for almost a year having graduated from Cuyahoga Community College in Ohio

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Reggie in Tampa, Florida

78 months ago

Excellent! I thought Cuyahoga converted to a Masters level program. Being from Dayton, I would relocate and try that program as well. Currently a Respiratory Therapist in Tampa. Thanks for the fast response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy M in Orlando, Florida

78 months ago

Hanna in Akron, Ohio said: I have been practicing for almost a year having graduated from Cuyahoga Community College in Ohio

University of Nebraska has one and its around 3,000 I think Nova has one too

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Betty in West Palm Beach, Florida

77 months ago

Hanna, being that you have ur Associates in P.A. on average how much money are you making compared to someone with a masters?
Thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

c hayes in Denton, Texas

77 months ago

Hanna, University of Nebraska is the best value for the money. Do you have a bachelors degree in another field? All the bridging programd require that you have a bachelors in something else to get the masters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bo in Winter Haven, Florida

77 months ago

does any body know the degree requirements for p.a. in florida can i work with an associates?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

chayes in Arlington, Texas

77 months ago

Bo,
Miami Dade Community College has the associates program. Go to their web site and look under the medical campus. If the requirements are not listed there call the program, the phone number is listed, and get the requirements. Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

jake in San Jose, California

75 months ago

I am graduating from Stanford's Associates PA program. would my degree be held lower than someone with a masters from other colleges? If so can i get my masters once i receive the associates?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Megan in San Diego, California

73 months ago

I am looking for an associates PA program offered near Jacksonville Florida if you know of any it would be of great help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Aretha in Tucson, Arizona

73 months ago

Megan in San Diego, California said: I am looking for an associates PA program offered near Jacksonville Florida if you know of any it would be of great help?

Hey Megan,

I'm currently in the middle of the PA school application season. The suspense right now is killing me b/c I'm now waiting to be invited for an interview invitation.

I personally do not know of any specific school in Florida. Your best bet is to go to portal.caspaonline.org/faq/ins_programs.htm to check out all of the PA programs offered here in the U.S. From there, you can click the hotlink to the school you want to research and see what level of degree is offered for PA studies.

I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Megan in San Diego, California

73 months ago

Yes it did, thanks so much. hopefully I'll be able to go:~)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Bakersfield, California

72 months ago

Hanna, being that you have ur Associates in P.A. on average how much money are you making compared to someone with a masters or Bachelors?
Thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ILIANS in Miami, Florida

72 months ago

Reggie in Tampa, Florida said: I live in Florida and there are three Physician Assistant Programs in this state. One being in Miami Dade. Miami Dade is a two year program that cost 20,000 and the other two cost 100,000. Is the Miami Dade PA program a legit program? You only graduate with an AS degree but you are able to sit for your PA license.

Thanks in advance.

I am looking into beginning the PA program of Miami Dade. How much do PA'S with an associate get paid?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chris in Katy, Texas

72 months ago

ILIANS in Miami, Florida said: I am looking into beginning the PA program of Miami Dade. How much do PA'S with an associate get paid?

The same as PA'S with bachelors and master degrees. Once you complete the program, you have to pass the natioal board exam so you will be a PA-C (certified). Thats what employers look for, more so than a degree. good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hanna

72 months ago

I agree, you have to pass the PANCE, but depending upon the state in which you practice, many employers are looking only for Masters prepared PA-S.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ILIANA

72 months ago

What do you mean MAsters prepared PA having a masters in PA? Also, do you know what FLorida requieres or where can I find out?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hanna

72 months ago

yes, a masters in PA studies. The FL state medical board should be able to provide you with the info you require. There are very few AD programs left, ARC-PA is eliminating them.

chris in Katy, Texas

72 months ago

Lets get all the facts straight. All states REQUIRE that you graduate from a program accredited by the National Commission for the Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA)and pass the board exam regardless if the degree you obtained is an Associates, Bacelors or Masters. It is not a STATE REQUIREMENT that you have a masters degree as not all programs are masters programs. Some employers may perfer that you have a masters degree. As a PA educator for the last five years, I can freely say that the program at Miami Dade is a good program with a good PANCE pass rate. It is a great option to those programs that cost much. I hope that you apply and are accepted and do well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Michael in La Quinta, California

71 months ago

Respectfully, Chris is not all together correct on this matter.

State by state considerations for P.A. licensure are as follows(current as of 11/08)-
Fact: All states require that you graduate from an accredited program
Fact: All states require you to pass the PANCE board exam
Fact: Some states require a Bachelor's or a Master's in a science or "health-related field"
Fact: MISSOURI is the ONLY state that requires all of the above and in addition insists on that Master's degree being from a PA program.
Read for yourself: www.aapa.org/gandp/statelaw.html

Beyond that...employers will be your greatest obstacle with an AS degree. A candidate carrying a Master's degree is more likely to attract the attention of most highly competitive positions. However, count on cashing in on the supply versus demand dichotomy in this field. If you're ambitious, articulate and have the credentials in-hand...there's a good chance you'll get what you want!

Good Luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vally Lou in Ocala, Florida

70 months ago

Megan,
Nova has a new program eginning in the Summer of 2009 in Jacksonville Florida. Not all programs are on the CASPA site. Only those that use the service are listed. Nova Jax is new and not yet using CASPA.
Furthermore, some hospitals do pay more for an employee with a
Masters degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

LesH

70 months ago

FYI here's an interesting article on PA Degrees and salary:
www.paeaonline.org/perspective/10083.pdf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

LesH

70 months ago

Here's a PPT presentation with information on new graduate pay according to the different academic credential awarded by PA programs: www.paeaonline.org/Meetings/EdForum2007/Annual%20Report%201007.ppt#256,1,23rd
Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda Halpin in Orlando, Florida

69 months ago

I just graduated from UCF with my Bachelors in Psychology. I am looking into the PA program at Miami Dade. I have read and understand the requirements to appy but could someone give me some info on who they actually accept? Such as what is the typical GPA of someone that would be accepted. What is neccessary to reallistically be accepted. Also what is the typical number of applicants and how many people are usually accepted. Thank you very much in advance for any information you can provide!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rose in Hollywood, Florida

63 months ago

My husband graduated from the Miami Dade PA program in 2005. He does not have a Masters and he does quite well ( in the six figures/ yearly). Employer's never asked him what type of degree he has, they just asked for his florida PA number.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stevie in Saint Petersburg, Florida

63 months ago

Rose in hollywood, did your husband earn an associates degree? it wasn't clear.. i'm unsure if he has a bachelor's or what?
thankyou very much!

Mike Hughes in Lansing, Michigan

63 months ago

Hanna in Akron, Ohio said: I am a PA-C currently practicing in pediatrics with an Associates degree. I am looking for a program that bridges my associates degree with a Masters program online. I was told these exist but cannot locate them. Please help.

Try A.T.Still University. I will be doing this myself in the fall after practicing since 1976! That's all there was in those days. Good luck.

M. Hughes, PA/C

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

C. Hayes, PA-C, MPAS in Katy, Texas

63 months ago

Mike Hughes in Lansing, Michigan said: Try A.T.Still University. I will be doing this myself in the fall after practicing since 1976! That's all there was in those days. Good luck.

M. Hughes, PA/C

If you already have a bachelors degree The University of Nebraska also has such a program. Very resonable in price. I completed the program in 2007, it was $3000.00. Also St. Francis University has a similar program. Good luck to both Mike and Hana.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LesH in Visalia, California

63 months ago

I was going to mentioned the SFU program as well:
www.saintfrancisuniversity.edu/MMShome.htm

Kenia in Miami, Florida

61 months ago

Rose, In which area of medicine does your husband work in and do so well? How long has he been doing PA work for? I know experience and specialty make a difference in salary. Thanks for the vote of confidence in the MDC program. That's where I'm hoping to get accepted.

x in Houston, Texas

60 months ago

Megan in San Diego, California said: I am looking for an associates PA program offered near Jacksonville Florida if you know of any it would be of great help?

Brunswick Ga is aprx 80 miles north of jax and offers one at Coastal Community College,they also have a campus in Kingsland GA which is 20 miles north of the Jacksonville Airport

kay in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

58 months ago

ok so if you have an associate degree in PA in order to work you must have a bachlors degree in something else such as science..is that correct? anyone?

Yeri in New York, New York

58 months ago

Stevie in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: Rose in hollywood, did your husband earn an associates degree? it wasn't clear.. i'm unsure if he has a bachelor's or what?
thankyou very much!

The Miami Dade program is an AS program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Yeri in New York, New York

58 months ago

kay in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: ok so if you have an associate degree in PA in order to work you must have a bachlors degree in something else such as science..is that correct? anyone?

Hey Kay, not necessarily. You don't need a Bachelors to work as a PA with an Associates. You will only need a Bachelors to get accepted into a PA Masters program.

LesH in Visalia, California

58 months ago

Unless you go to an AS program in Maryland. Then you might need the BS.

LATOYA in Rockford, Illinois

58 months ago

Hanna in Akron, Ohio said: I am a PA-C currently practicing in pediatrics with an Associates degree. I am looking for a program that bridges my associates degree with a Masters program online. I was told these exist but cannot locate them. Please help.

ROSELIND FRANKLIND UNIVERSITY YOU CAN GET YOUR MASTERS ONLINE.

LesH in Los Angeles, California

58 months ago

You might check St Francis Master in Medical Science program in PA., Nova Southeaster in Fla, AT Stills in Az,. Nebraska DLO program, MEDEX just started a program for MS completion. All these may require a BS, if you need one of those, then Nova Southeastern has a BS in health Science that may work for you.

Good luck in your future PA endeavors
LesH

Mike in East Lansing, Michigan

58 months ago

That is not correst. You need at least an associates degree in a certified PA program and pass the National Certification Test after successful completion of the program. Most programs are at least a B.S. degree anymore and many are Masters. The issue is that most want at least a B.S. even though the program may be an associate level. The practical point is that it may become a degree of self marketing without a higher degree. Plenty of experience, however, is still hard to beat whatever your degree. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

The Yetzter in New York, New York

58 months ago

What if I have six years of clinical experience and a B.S. in a different degree, in my case: Health Sciences yet persuing a Associates PA degree; would that make me marketable to employers? I have contemplated a BS or even a masters but an associates in much less expensive.

58 months ago

Clinical experience as what? The B.S. in the "different" degree is significant in the total picture about who you are, but the completion of the PA degree at whatever level and then the successful passing of the PANRE test is still the key. Without that, nothing else really matters in so far as the PA career is concerned no matter how many degrees are involved. The level of degree does not insure that you will pass anything that will let you practice or be very good for that matter if you do. I don't mean to be mean spirited at all as I very much appreciate your degree. All of that said, in the end and in my opinion, yes your other B.S. degree will only help you market yourself. Please remember that a degree means very little in the clinical picture but your application of what you learn, bedside manner, and clinical skills matter most. The degree gets you a ticket to the PANRE Test. After being a PA since 1976 (yes, 1976) I see this all the more. Higher degrees are certainly in vogue, but it doesn't bother me that I don't have one. I have many years experience that seems to sell itself whenever I need it to. Here is an example...Where did your personal physician go to school and what kind of grades did he get? If you know the answer, you are an exception. The point is, you would fire him in a second if you did not feel that he was meeting your level of expectation even though we both know he has a M.D. or D.O. degree. Concentrate on finishing your PA degree and passing the PANRE. The rest will take care of itself. Best of luck to you and I'm sure you will be a great addition to the profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Try this: AIU, online. It will be the program you are looking for.

58 months ago

Mike in East Lansing, Michigan said: Clinical experience as what? The B.S. in the "different" degree is significant in the total picture about who you are, but the completion of the PA degree at whatever level and then the successful passing of the PANRE test is still the key. Without that, nothing else really matters in so far as the PA career is concerned no matter how many degrees are involved. The level of degree does not insure that you will pass anything that will let you practice or be very good for that matter if you do. I don't mean to be mean spirited at all as I very much appreciate your degree. All of that said, in the end and in my opinion, yes your other B.S. degree will only help you market yourself. Please remember that a degree means very little in the clinical picture but your application of what you learn, bedside manner, and clinical skills matter most. The degree gets you a ticket to the PANRE Test. After being a PA since 1976 (yes, 1976) I see this all the more. Higher degrees are certainly in vogue, but it doesn't bother me that I don't have one. I have many years experience that seems to sell itself whenever I need it to. Here is an example...Where did your personal physician go to school and what kind of grades did he get? If you know the answer, you are an exception. The point is, you would fire him in a second if you did not feel that he was meeting your level of expectation even though we both know he has a M.D. or D.O. degree. Concentrate on finishing your PA degree and passing the PANRE. The rest will take care of itself. Best of luck to you and I'm sure you will be a great addition to the profession.

Of course the PANRE is the recertification and the initial test is the PANCE for those taking the test right out of school.

58 months ago

Sorry, I meant to say A.T.Still University. They have a good Associates to Masters program that is accredited.

The Yetzter in New York, New York

58 months ago

I was in the military for 6 years as a Corpsman, providing nursing care at a hospital for 3 years and field care for marines in Iraq and Afghaistan for 3 years. My response was directed to the people that kept saying that a higher degree is needed. Since I am greatly considering the Associates, I want to make sure I make the right decision.

Thank you for your honest answer! =)

58 months ago

I am X military guy myself who spent most of my time in Libya and Vietnam. Let me say thank you for your service. Your training and experience is that which I had need of first hand before being discharged in 1970 from the Vietnam Conflict. I sure remember the services that people like you provided me.

Let me say that all education is commndable and the B.S., Masters, as well as the newer Ph.D's in Physician Assisting are no exceptions. PA's want to be held in high regard as well educated health care providers and there is no better way than to attain that than through higher education. Our profession (AAPA) highly endorses that concept. IF you are in a hurry to get from point A to point B as I was after getting out of the service, the Associates will be the faster way without compromising core content. Then, if you still want to, and I believe you will, you may attend one of the pathways like that offered by A.T.Still University (check online) and still work as a PA while you get your additional degree(s)as time and money allow. You sound like a sound thinker and will plow your way through all of this as you see what is the best fit for YOU. There won't be a best way that fits everyone. In a perfect world, we would all get the highest degree in the shortest time for the least amount spent. I just didn't happen to live in that world. I'd love to hear what you have decided when you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

TheYetzter in New York, New York

58 months ago

Thank you for your service, advice, and encouraging words. You seem to much life experience yourself. I am actually greatly considering applying directly to the Fall 2011 Masters PA program. I graduate with a Bachelors in Health Sciences in April and will continue with my German certificate program.

58 months ago

Go For It! Best of Luck and enjoy the holidays.

Peter in Jupiter, Florida

58 months ago

C. Hayes, PA-C, MPAS in Katy, Texas said: If you already have a bachelors degree The University of Nebraska also has such a program. Very resonable in price. I completed the program in 2007, it was $3000.00. Also St. Francis University has a similar program. Good luck to both Mike and Hana.

C.Hayes did you mean $30,000 for the nebraska program?

C. Hayes, PA-C, MPAS in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

No, $3000.00. I have an Associates degree from the Chicago City College PA program, but also two Bachelor Degrees in the Sciences. The University of Nebraska has a distant lerning program to bridge the degrees to a Masters. It took me just over seven months to complete. You can look at their website for the PA program, it is under distant learning, it may be a little more now. Good luck to you in your future studies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.