Bachelor's Degree

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 153)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Lesh in Reseda, California

44 months ago

Crystal in Kinston, North Carolina said: where is UMES?

Maryland

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unique10 in Houston, Texas

44 months ago

I am looking into becoming a PA if anyone could email me info on to starting up on getting a degree in a field such as health Science to getting in a PA program I would really appreciate it. My goal was to become a ob/gyn but I decide I would like to be a PA specializing in the specialty. Please email me @ kimberleeflowers@ymail.com if you have any info. I can use. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

BF-Helping-GF in Peoria, Illinois

44 months ago

My girlfriend is on the tail end of her Medical Assistant Associate Degree. Its been a great experience for her and has opened up her mind to pursuing a PA career path. I understand the AAPA's trend to move away from AS-PA and BS-PA degrees as well as the are being phased out especially when considering future RX requirements most likely to be passed into law by state PA regulatory committees. Would a BS in Health Services Management offer a good path? She a great student (3.9GPA), has her CNA + 1000 of full time patient contact hours to date and is great with people.

We are looking at this as an option for several reasons: 2 more years for a BS, same school offers program, its a tangible degree and she's in her late 20's so future kids on the radar.

I'm an engineer and have no experience in this... but I research things to death and care for my darling a ton.... any feedback is good feedback.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Lets try this again
My girlfriend is on the tail end of her Medical Assistant Associate Degree. Its been a great experience for her and has opened up her mind to pursuing a PA career path. I understand the AAPA's trend to move away from AS-PA and BS-PA degrees especially when considering future RX requirements most likely to be passed into law by state PA regulatory committees. Would a BS in Health Services Management offer a good path? She a great student (3.9GPA), has her CNA + 1000 of full time patient contact hours to date and is great with people.

We are looking at this as an option for several reasons: 2 more years for a BS, same school offers program, its a tangible degree and she's in her late 20's so future kids on the radar.

I'm an engineer and have no experience in this... but I research things to death and care for my darling a ton.... any feedback is good feedback.

Thanks

44 months ago

Lets try this again
My girlfriend is on the tail end of her Medical Assistant Associate Degree. Its been a great experience for her and has opened up her mind to pursuing a PA career path. I understand the AAPA's trend to move away from AS-PA and BS-PA degrees especially when considering future RX requirements most likely to be passed into law by state PA regulatory committees. Would a BS in Health Services Management offer a good path? She a great student (3.9GPA), has her CNA + 1000 of full time patient contact hours to date and is great with people.

Thanks

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia

44 months ago

I'm not sure why you posted 3 times?
It looks like your GF may need some hard sciences, like chem, A/P, micro, etc. While her GPA is very good at this time, she needs to get started on her science requirements and speak to a counselor.

44 months ago

Brambleton: my fault – sorry for the extra spam
I agree... we need to pick a couple universities in mind and discuss additional requirements (aka hard sciences ect) to complete during preparation for a possible PA path (she has time). She may decide after she completes her BS-HSM to stop and work full time. Having options through a tangible career path is an important piece of this as she move's forward. Are you a PA? If there is anybody else who started an MA and finished with their PA? I'd appreciate your story. Also wondering how common or unique is career path is.

Brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia

44 months ago

BF-Helping-GF in Peoria, Illinois said: Brambleton: my fault – sorry for the extra spam
I agree... we need to pick a couple universities in mind and discuss additional requirements (aka hard sciences ect) to complete during preparation for a possible PA path (she has time). She may decide after she completes her BS-HSM to stop and work full time. Having options through a tangible career path is an important piece of this as she move's forward. Are you a PA? If there is anybody else who started an MA and finished with their PA? I'd appreciate your story. Also wondering how common or unique is career path is.

Hi BF,

I'm an RN but have looked into PA briefly. Since the PA program follows the medical program, my impression is that the HSM may not give her the most competitive edge, academically. I'm not sure that HSM has much of the sciences that she needs. It seems to be the long and round-about way to her goal. Definitely speak to an advisor:)

Matt in Iraq

43 months ago

I'm currently deployed, but once I get home (Illinois/Missouri border) and leave the Army (2014) I plan on becoming a PA. I Intended on getting a BA in nursing before applying for a program. Would nursing along with other pre reqs be enough to get in right after I get my BA or should I work as a nurse for a few years to get the medical experience? I'm also soon to be married, so fiances as far as supporting ourselves must also be considered.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it, I'm determined to be a PA. I just need a little guidence

Felipe in Peoria, Illinois

43 months ago

Southern Illinois University has a PA-program. Not sure if that's an option for you... but from a cost standpoint your able to go to a state funded university for your undergrad and transition right into their PA program. Another option could be to take your hard science classes at a local community college. You'd have to make sure they will be approved by PA program before going forward... That's what my girlfriend is getting ready to do.

Best way to be sure is to speak/email a PA program's Academic Advisor at SIU or other schools of your interest.

A confessed nerd, I made a spreadsheet of all the programs in the state for my girlfriend. We're getting a list of required classes from each to compare school requirements. I'm assuming most of those will be similar. As she completes her undergrad (2 years) she'll have time to take all required classes, GRE, MCAT, patient contact hours etc to prepare for a PA program.

Hope this helps...

Good luck and thank you for serving our country!

felipe

Holly in Peoria, Illinois

43 months ago

Based on my research your best bet would be to get a 2 year RN degree and then work AND go to school while you get a completion degree (RN-to-BSN). That way you can complete your BS WHILE working. You need to have patient care work experience and the more the better. Even if you just worked part-time for 2 years, by the time you graduated with your BSN you'd have some experience and could apply. If you don't get in, work another year and apply again. Also, getting a RN at a community college is going to be cheaper and you can work part-time the last two years (while you're getting the completion degree) and make good money compared to what I'm assuming would be less with any other job that's available for you.

I know with the nursing schools I've seen it takes a year to get in. You have to take some prereqs and apply in January to get in for fall semester. If you could take some classes, even if they're online, such as Psychology and Sociology which are almost always required, that would get you started. You need to look at the requirements for the school you want to go to. I know with my school if you are a CNA or volunteer for a hospital they give you more points towards getting in. Be careful though and read everything, don't just listen to counselors because they get confused sometimes. You don't want to get bad information and get set back. Good luck!

brambleton in Ashburn, Virginia

43 months ago

Becoming an RN first is a very good idea because:

1: You may be able to get a scholarship.
2: You will have finished most of the required science classes
3: You will get a job and have a decent income as you continue to PA
4: You will learn how the hospital works.
5: You will narrow your field of interest through exposure as an RN
6: You will be able to network with your future potential peers.
7: You can see for yourself the difference between NP and PA.
8: While in the PA program, you can continue to work PRN as an RN which requires 3-4 days a month, thus not jeopardizing your studies, while giving you some sort of income.

Don't forget to check out the Uniformed Services University in Bethesda which is free, if you can get in:)

www.usuhs.mil/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Palmetto, Florida

43 months ago

Great response. Thank you for this. I had the same question. I'm a paramedic with lots of practical experience but now jumping through the hoops of school. I am starting my bachelor this fall. Unfortunately Florida doesn't have a bachelors degree in Emergency Medical Technician (my AAS). I've been doing my homework. Comparing which bachelor would benefit me in the long run, what classes I will need to enter a P.A. program. Biology seems to be the good fit.

mari in Puerto Rico

43 months ago

To get into a PA school and get a Ba-Pa do I need to first get a bachelors in something else... or can I just get an associates and work experience?

Candice. in Hephzibah, Georgia

43 months ago

I see that your bachelors degree should be medically related in some form or fashion. Im attending south university online right now for my Bachelors in Allied health science. Does it matter if my degree is obtained online? Will that hurt me when I try to apply for PA program?

Any advice or tips would be very helpful. Thanks.

laura in Mckinney, Texas

42 months ago

can we please e-mail? i'm currently in school looking to get my undergrad in biology, i'm a current applicant for a position as a med-surg tech at a hospital and i'm looking to get my EMT-B certification this summer, i'd like to go into surgical but i'm keeping my options open. i'd love any advice.

coloredarrows@hotmail.com

joeyguti in San Antonio, Texas

42 months ago

so honest question guys... I'm Just Finishing my minor in Liberal Arts and am about to start in my major, i'm torn between Communication Studies and Psych/Science..now a PA program seems quite interesting if i go with the psych or other related science majors. Question is what major prepares u the most bio or psych? and can i pursue those with a minor in Liberal Arts? i'm set to start @ rocky mountain college in the fall and i know they have a master PA program.

bluecloud in Stone Mountain, Georgia

42 months ago

I have a MA in psychology, and I'm having a very challenging time getting in to PA schools because I don't have enough Bio courses.

I personally would recommend that you take lots of Bio, and if you are interested in Psych take a few interesting courses...but mostly focus on Bio courses...esp premed type ones. :)

Just my opinion. It would help make it easier for you to get into PA programs,

which usually require some combinations of
Bio 1,2
Human anatomy/physiology
Chem 1,2
Org Chem or Biochem
Microbiology
and so on.......

Best of luck to you!

Samantha in Bloomington, Indiana

42 months ago

Hey Everyone,

So I have some questions about how to start off my BA degree in order to become a PA. I am 17 and will be starting a program offered in my area called the Crossroads after summer which allows me to go to community college and IU or Purdue (whichever one I choose) at the same time but saves me a LOT of money and says I get my BA from one of those school. Im going to get my BA in Biology, but I am not sure about my minor. Should it be chemisty or pre-med or can I make it anything I want? Also how would I go about getting a job somewhere in the medical feild to get experiences while going to college? Im going to volunteer also while working but i have to get a job in order to pay for college no matter what so I really need some advise to go about finding a job while going to college in the medical feild or if I need to take an extra class in order to make that happen. Please help.

Thank You,
Samantha

ps. Also will I need to take other classes in order to apply for a PA master program that a BA in Biology doesnt cover?

Ryan H. in Palos Hills, Illinois

41 months ago

I know some students are going to have perfect 4.0's when applying, so I want to have the strongest medical experience, and everything else possible.I really want to go for it, I really enjoy helping people and it is a secure hands on active job.

lastly, what did you have if and when you got accepted to PA school? What kind of GPA, GRE score, medical experience, letters of recommendation, internship, PA shadowing, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shanika_M. in Orlando, Florida

39 months ago

I am a Pharmacy Technician in Florida and Arizona, Challenged the Board for my CNA license,Previously attended an RN program from a private school in which I did not pass the first semester. I volunteer at well-known hospital in the pharmacy, ER, and outpatient Endoscopy for over a year. I am now seeking my phelbotomy certification along with my chemo-dialysis certification while attending a State College following the PA track to UCF. My question is after research of many schools each programm is competitive and some require more than others. I have also discovered there is an AS degree PA Program at Miami-Dade college which offers a degree as a Physcian Assistant in 2 yrs and cost around 21,000. So I am uncertain of which route to take and will this hender me from progressing on to getting a Bachlor or Master's degree. I have looked into other schools that have stated they will not give credit to students who have taken classes credit PA classes in other programs. If anyone can shed some light on this information and advise me of my chances of getting into PA school.

Shelby N in Leesburg, Texas

37 months ago

Hi guys! Ok, I have a question that I really hope someone can answer for me!
I am currently pursuing a BS degree in Nutrition. However, I have recently decided that maybe a Physician Assistant is what I want to be. Will I still be a good candidate for a PA program, since I have a BS degree, or would the fact that its Nutrition make it harder for me to get in? I read a post about doing a pre-med degree course of study, but the reason I'm doing Nutrition was to avoid a pre-med course to begin with and still get the same BS degree. What do you guys think?

PA Student in Stone Mountain, Georgia

37 months ago

Your degree will not hurt your chances at all. No matter what anyone's degree was, you still have to fulfill the same prerequisite coursework/health care experience in order to be accepted to PA school.

So definitely check with the programs you are interested in and just make sure you have had the coursework that they require.

It seems nutrition background could be beneficial in offering your patients nutrition guidance if you think they need it.

Jessica Chepkwony in Waukee, Iowa

37 months ago

Can a PA go to school to become a general practitioner? I really want to become a PA, but I was also thinking of being a DNP and specializing as a general practitioner. Is that possible? Please let me know, thanks!

brambleton in Chantilly, Virginia

37 months ago

To become a DNP, Doctor of Nurse Practice, you must first be a nurse. The PA path is completely different. There is no crossover but there are some similar basic classes required of all healthcare.

37 months ago

Thanks! So to be a general practitioner, can you take the route of being a BSN, and then a nurse practitioner and then get a DNP and specialize as a general practitioner? Is that correct or do you have to go to med school to be a general practitioner?

PAhopeful in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

37 months ago

Jessica Chepkwony in Waukee, Iowa said: Thanks! So to be a general practitioner, can you take the route of being a BSN, and then a nurse practitioner and then get a DNP and specialize as a general practitioner? Is that correct or do you have to go to med school to be a general practitioner?

I think you're confused with General Practitioner...If you want to be a Medical Doctor working in Primary Care, Internal Medicine, Family Practice (they all fall under the same umbrella basically) you need to go to Med school after you get your bachelors in pre-med. After Med school you can specialize in any area of medicine that you want and if you ever want to change you need to do more fellowships or residencies.

If you want to be a Nurse practitioner right now you only need to get a master's but they are leaning towards requiring a DNP... Nurse Practitioners and/or DNP's can work in all the specialties I stated if you want to be in that aspect of Medicine. They can also work in just about any other specialties of medicine. That's kind of the benefit of mid-levels (NP's, PA's, DNP's) they can change specialties quicker than an MD.

I suggest speaking to an MD, NP, DNP, PA or anyone else in the medical field...set up a shadow day if possible! They may be able to explain it a little more!

37 months ago

Jessica Chepkwony in Waukee, Iowa said: Thanks! So to be a general practitioner, can you take the route of being a BSN, and then a nurse practitioner and then get a DNP and specialize as a general practitioner? Is that correct or do you have to go to med school to be a general practitioner?

I think the confusion lies in the semantics. When you say, general practitioner, are you referring to general medicine, nursing, chiropractice? What kind of practitioner are you referring to? If you wish to have total autonomy in all States, you'd have to be an MD, DO or Doctor of Chiropractice.

37 months ago

Well, yes I wanted to be a nurse general practitioner. I read somewhere that one can be a BSN, MSN, and DNP specializing in being a general practitoner, so i was just wondering if that was possible. Thanks for your insight.

Dragana in Saint Petersburg, Florida

36 months ago

Hi! I have some questions about becoming a Physician Assistant. I am currently a junior in high school and I am very interested in having a career as a Physician Assistant. When I start going to college, what should my major be? What classes should I take so that I have a higher chance of getting into a PA program.

mhf234 in Attleboro, Massachusetts

36 months ago

is it possible to get into a PA program with a mechanical engineering undergrad? I'm thinking of transferring from a nursing program to an engineering program but im not positive i want to completely give up the possibilty of working in the medical field. any ideas?

Noreen in Allen, Texas

36 months ago

Hi, I'm 21 years old and also interested in ending up as a PA, i'm a medical assistent right now and wanting to go back to school to complete my pre-reqs then hopely do nursing. My question is should I focus on taking classes that will get me into PA school or finish nursing get my bsn a four year thing vs. taking all the pre-reqs for PA (which btw I also want to know are they the same as nursing pre-reqs) or finish nursing then bsn?? And with a bachelors in nursing is it easier to get into the Pa school or are there more or additional core classes involved? Thanks all who will address this it will mean so much thanks again. :)7/28/11 @1:20 pm

lizcbt03 in Berea, Ohio

35 months ago

PA-C in Westlake, Ohio said: I'm sorry but that is the worst advice to give to a prospective PA student. Most PA schools offer a Maters upon completion.. for a reason. Some of the older PA schools still offer Associates and Bachelors but this is quickly changing like you stated, for good reason. You have to have a Bachelors to even get into most PA schools. There is a level of education and competency that goes along with these requirements. Most job postings that I have seen also require a Masters to even apply let alone be considered. So for those who are interested should help themselves and just get your Masters.

Hi PA-C in Westlake,Oh
I just had a few questions for you. I live in Avon Lake, Oh I have an Associates degree in Technical Studies for Nuclear Medicine Technology from LCCC. I am have been certified for over 3 years now and most of my time I have spent unemployed because the field is saturated. I was wondering if you could tell me your opinion on how the market will be 3 to 4 yrs from now for a PA because I plan on going into that field. My other question is do you recommend any school in the cleveland area to finish my bachelors at that might satisfy all the pre reqs for a PA program. The only classes I am missing are a chemistry, 2 biology, and microbiology plus I need the Bachelors. Im currently enrolled at YSU for this sememster but I will be getting a B.S in Allied Health and will take me a year plus still have to take the above mentioned classed. I want to find a program that will incorprate those classes and bachelor all in one. Also do you recommend any programs in this area for PA school. Anyone else have any info please let me know also. Thanks!

Randy in Tempe, Arizona

35 months ago

Are there any PAs reading this? You could be a big help to every aspiring PA posting here! Is there really a need to get a masters? I am shadowing a PA with a bachelors and he has not had any trouble finding work! Does it vary state by state? Do MDs prefer to hire Master PAs over BS PAs? From what I have seen it doesn’t even matter!
I have a physiology BS with a 3.0 overall and a 3.0 science. I worked full time at the beginning of my undergrad then took out student loans I did much better toward the end. I have an EMT cert and volunteer experience at a roller derby and ER but I can’t get a job! I have 100 clinical hours (outside of my ER volunteer work) and the prospect of getting hired as an EMT is maybe 5%. I was considering just applying to bachelors programs. Either that or going to paramedic school just for the 600 clinical hours you get there and applying while in the program. I will do just about anything to become a PA except redo another BS to get into PA school. With my physiology degree I know so much already! After looking for clinical work for 8 months now I feel so discouraged.
Thanks!

taw001 in Westlake, Ohio

35 months ago

lizcbt03 in Berea, Ohio said: Hi PA-C in Westlake,Oh
I just had a few questions for you. I live in Avon Lake, Oh I have an Associates degree in Technical Studies for Nuclear Medicine Technology from LCCC. I am have been certified for over 3 years now and most of my time I have spent unemployed because the field is saturated. I was wondering if you could tell me your opinion on how the market will be 3 to 4 yrs from now for a PA because I plan on going into that field. My other question is do you recommend any school in the cleveland area to finish my bachelors at that might satisfy all the pre reqs for a PA program. The only classes I am missing are a chemistry, 2 biology, and microbiology plus I need the Bachelors. Im currently enrolled at YSU for this sememster but I will be getting a B.S in Allied Health and will take me a year plus still have to take the above mentioned classed. I want to find a program that will incorprate those classes and bachelor all in one. Also do you recommend any programs in this area for PA school. Anyone else have any info please let me know also. Thanks!

Hi Lizcbt03,
Looks like you have some some experience in the medical field which is great. The next few years will be excellent for PAs because the shortage of physicians continues to grow and will continue to grow if/when Obamacare is implemented. One huge benefit of PAs is that there is always a demand for our services so you will not have problem finding a job; however if you are determined to work in a particular field/specialty your job opportunities will be narrowed. As far as your pre-reqs, you just have to get them done. It doesn't really matter the school. Do your best to uphold a high science GPA that is competitive. There are only about 5 PA programs in Ohio, so it just depends if you want to stay in state or not. I would also pay attention to any extra pre-req classes required for specific schools because they all vary slightly unfortunately.

taw001 in Westlake, Ohio

35 months ago

Randy in Tempe, Arizona said: Are there any PAs reading this? You could be a big help to every aspiring PA posting here! Is there really a need to get a masters? I am shadowing a PA with a bachelors and he has not had any trouble finding work! Does it vary state by state? Do MDs prefer to hire Master PAs over BS PAs? From what I have seen it doesn’t even matter!
I have a physiology BS with a 3.0 overall and a 3.0 science. I worked full time at the beginning of my undergrad then took out student loans I did much better toward the end. I have an EMT cert and volunteer experience at a roller derby and ER but I can’t get a job! I have 100 clinical hours (outside of my ER volunteer work) and the prospect of getting hired as an EMT is maybe 5%. I was considering just applying to bachelors programs. Either that or going to paramedic school just for the 600 clinical hours you get there and applying while in the program. I will do just about anything to become a PA except redo another BS to get into PA school. With my physiology degree I know so much already! After looking for clinical work for 8 months now I feel so discouraged.
Thanks!

Hey Randy,
It seems to vary state by State. In Ohio, you need your Masters. I have not seen job opportunities without this requirement here. The PAs who have Bachelors at this point are likely grandfathered into the system because all programs are trending towards offering Master degrees in order to uphold the level of training required in practice. Most schools, you need your Bachelors to even apply to PA schools as a requirement. If you work for a clinic or institution the job requirements are not set by the specific MDs but probably human resource professional recruiters. Sorry to hear about your struggles as an EMT. Best of luck if you choose the PA path. It sounds like you already have some great background and experience.

lizcbt03 in Lakewood, Ohio

35 months ago

taw001 in Westlake, Ohio said: Hi Lizcbt03,
Looks like you have some some experience in the medical field which is great. The next few years will be excellent for PAs because the shortage of physicians continues to grow and will continue to grow if/when Obamacare is implemented. One huge benefit of PAs is that there is always a demand for our services so you will not have problem finding a job; however if you are determined to work in a particular field/specialty your job opportunities will be narrowed. As far as your pre-reqs, you just have to get them done. It doesn't really matter the school. Do your best to uphold a high science GPA that is competitive. There are only about 5 PA programs in Ohio, so it just depends if you want to stay in state or not. I would also pay attention to any extra pre-req classes required for specific schools because they all vary slightly unfortunately.

Thanks PA-C in westlake, oh. Your words have encouraged me to continue going in the path I was for the PA degree. I will do some more research on the different schools. Thx!

KrisDC in Albany, Oregon

35 months ago

Hi all, looking for some input.
I always wanted to go into healthcare. I pursued and became a Doctor of Chiropractic under the mentoring of a couple eager chiropractors who assured me healthcare=chiropractic. I was young and much more naive then. I have a BS Bio and now DC degrees.
I am a practicing Doctor of Chiropractic in a very successful practice, but I would like to take BETTER care of my patients. Someone told me once that despite having the knowledge, it does not matter what you can do to help if you do not have the right initials behind your name. DC does not mean much in the MD world, and is meaning less and less in the insurance and Medicare world. The length of PA school plus education to be gained is highly desirable to me! I manage patients every day, treating them and healing them. The major health care concerns are not chiropractic ones right now. I could not stand going with out helping care for patients for as long as it would take me to get through MD/DO school.
So- Does anyone know of a school that may be more open to my background? (I am very interested in the program at Southern Illinois University.) Any thoughts on making this transition in life? Thanks!

ladybug2539 in Hackensack, New Jersey

35 months ago

hello all I live in Jersey and was looking for a 2 year PA program does anyone know of a school

please email me ladybug2539@yahoo.com

rcarp in Fredericksburg, Virginia

35 months ago

Hello everyone,

I recently just graduated with my B.S. in Communications but have been interested in the medical field, especially dermatology for many years. I thought dermatology was out of my reach until I learned physician assistants can go into dermatology. I know this will still be a very very demanding program. I obviously do not have any of the required science pre requisites to get into a masters program or the required clinical hourse. I was wondering if anyone could help me out on what I should do to meet the pre reqs? Do you have to get a second B.S. degree in Biology or Chemistry? Or can you just take the required prerequisites at another university with out declaring a major? Also, would I be able to get an accelerated nursing degree and apply for a PA program???

Thanks so much for any answers in advance!

Kirkland in Glendale, Arizona

34 months ago

Aly in Mesa, Arizona said: Hey, I was looking into ATSU more and seeing what the application process was like and when exactly the best time to apply would be. It asks if I will have graduated before I apply and if I am NCCPA certified. For some reason, I thought you became certified after you graduated form PA school. Do you know any information about this, do I get certified when I have finished my bachelor's degree or after I finish PA school? It seems you must have to be certified before you apply, so what does becoming certified involve? Please let me know any info you may have! Thanks so much!

What have you decided to doo?

samira9t in Reseda, California

33 months ago

I'm M.D. with 15 years working experience in Europe. USMLE recognized my Diploma as a MD but PA schools don't recognize this Diploma not even as a college level. Can anybody help me or advise me to get in 2 year PA program.
man.T.

samira9t in Reseda, California

33 months ago

It's me again. Please, if you know any school even on line school,let me know.
man.

Victoria in Huntsville, Alabama

33 months ago

Hello I really need some advice. I am in college for Bachelor of Business Administration with a Concentration in Health Services. I want to be a PA what are the steps should I take in making this happen? I love to be helpful to people so I really think this type of career would fit me.

33 months ago

Victoria in Huntsville, Alabama said: Hello I really need some advice. I am in college for Bachelor of Business Administration with a Concentration in Health Services. I want to be a PA what are the steps should I take in making this happen? I love to be helpful to people so I really think this type of career would fit me.

Get advice from your school counselor and visit the PA site for general requirements such as A/P, micro, chem, bio, physics. Your undergrad needs to have more of a science focus to be competitive.

Dr. D in Colorado Springs, Colorado

32 months ago

"PAs who try to push this view diminish their role by sounding like every chiropracter, naturopath, herbal-supplement healer, and every other member of the very large crowd of people who want to play doctor without going to a real doctor school". What an ill-informed and offensive comment. Obviously you have no idea of the level of education a Doctor of Chiropractic or a Doctor of Naturopathy have. I am a D.C. and have a Bachelor degree in Psych, Chemistry and a minor in Biology and I did take and pass the MCAT and was accepted into a D.O. program. My D.C. degree required 4 years after my B.S. degree.

TESSA in Foley, Alabama

30 months ago

I am a 2007 graduate of Auburn University in Auburn Alabama with a BS in Biomedical science/concentration in pre-pharm. I recently left pharmacy school after 3 years due to some unfortunate circumstances. In saying all that- I have knowledge of the healthcare field and experienced in working with patients, etc. however , I am now in my late 20's trying to figure out what to do with the experience I have from 3 years of pharmacy school and with a BS in biomedical science. A family friend that is a doctor suggested looking into PA school , yet I am not sure what schools to take the time to look into and exactly what amount of time I would have to go back to school. If anyone who does have experience or could help guide me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it !!

Harry in Greeley, Colorado

29 months ago

Hi all,
This may sound nuts but I am 29 w/ a BA in Anthropology and practically no science credits. I have no medical experience. I want to be a PA but not a nurse. Considering the competitiveness of PA schools, am I insane to think about getting my science prereq's, getting a couple years of EMT experience (or similar) and applying to PA school? I am late in "rediscovering" my career goals. Medical field appeals to me but I don't want to be a nurse. I feel that I would be willing to go back and do all this at my age, even if it takes 6-7 years, as long as I have a good shot. I would be doing this while I substitute teach. Any thoughts?

Beth in Laguna Beach, California

29 months ago

Not nuts at all. I think some schools are looking for the more mature applicant who has been in a career already, medical or not. You will probably need some experience, so I would definitely work on that while doing your classes. Consider being an MA or phlebotomist or working in a physician's office. Good luck to you!
Beth
www.physicianassistantbooks.com

Harry in Greeley, Colorado said: Hi all,
This may sound nuts but I am 29 w/ a BA in Anthropology and practically no science credits. I have no medical experience. I want to be a PA but not a nurse. Considering the competitiveness of PA schools, am I insane to think about getting my science prereq's, getting a couple years of EMT experience (or similar) and applying to PA school? I am late in "rediscovering" my career goals. Medical field appeals to me but I don't want to be a nurse. I feel that I would be willing to go back and do all this at my age, even if it takes 6-7 years, as long as I have a good shot. I would be doing this while I substitute teach. Any thoughts?

Don in Manassas, Virginia

29 months ago

Harry,

I am 39 years old and have been a paramedic for 18 years (EMT for three before that). I work full time during the day so I am completing my psychology degree online from UMUC (Maryland) while I take my science prerequisites at the local community college. I will be 41 before I can apply to PA school. Point is, not all PA applicants are young with science degrees. There are approximately 150 or so schools that offer PA programs, and while there are a few that want fresh students with no college, most simply require a bachelors and specific science prereqs. Look at the schools you are interested in and find out what science classes they want. I am hopeful that my healthcare experience and 3.9 GPA will get me into PA school (darn organic chemistry messed up my 4.0). Get some healthcare experience and do well in your science classes. And by the way, buy Beth's book. I bought it two years ago and it was well worth it (I don't know Beth, just like her book).

Don

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.