Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Janelle K in London, Ontario

50 months ago

Hi!
Anyone who has/is currently attending the DYC physician assistant program,
1) How did you like it?
2) Is the work extensive, as you are entering a concurrent BS/MS program?
3) Is D'youville a good college to go to?
4) How was the admission process? hardest part? easiest? How was the interview?
5) Anything you didn't like about the program?

I have a lot of questions, thanks in advance for your response! Your time is much appreciated :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PADyouville in Tampa, Florida

43 months ago

Janelle K in London, Ontario said: Hi!
Anyone who has/is currently attending the DYC physician assistant program,
1) How did you like it?
2) Is the work extensive, as you are entering a concurrent BS/MS program?
3) Is D'youville a good college to go to?
4) How was the admission process? hardest part? easiest? How was the interview?
5) Anything you didn't like about the program?

I have a lot of questions, thanks in advance for your response! Your time is much appreciated :)

Did you apply and/or get accepted to D'youville? I'm accepted and currently looking to start next year. Let me know if you have any questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PADyouville in Tampa, Florida

43 months ago

Did you apply and/or got accepted into the program? I have been accepted and looking to start next year. Let me know if you have any questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paramedic23 in Dallas, Texas

43 months ago

I have also been accepted into the PA program for the 2012 school year. Still contemplating this school with another one. D'Youville seems to be a solid program and has a good reputation across the country. It is a small school which has its advantages and disadvantages, but overall the program made the admissions process fairly easy.

mariyak in Chandler, Arizona

42 months ago

Paramedic23 in Dallas, Texas said: I have also been accepted into the PA program for the 2012 school year. Still contemplating this school with another one. D'Youville seems to be a solid program and has a good reputation across the country. It is a small school which has its advantages and disadvantages, but overall the program made the admissions process fairly easy.

What kind of experience, grades and overall profile did you have? I am also applying to D'Youville next year. Please let me know.

42 months ago

I am a transfer student and I already have many of the science classes under my belt (A&P, Chem, med terminology). 3.5 GPA, and close to 8,000 hours (three years) as a paramedic both on ambulance and in hospital setting. I have heard that they like out of state applicants and those with prior healthcare experience if you are applying as a transfer student. They do accept freshman straight out of high school, but I have no clue what the criteria is for those students.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tonyg in New York, New York

40 months ago

I currently go to DYC for the PA program and I hate it. I am In the 5 year program from high school. I will tell one thing is that this school is only here to make money. Apply to a lot of schools and then see what offers you get. If you dont get into other schools for PA then come here. This should be your last choice and this is my 2nd year. I made a mistake by not applying to other schools. DYC accepted me and I was happy and didn't want to spend extra money on application fees and traveling expenses for an interview. I was stupid. The school is very money minded. Don't get me wrong, The PA faculty are really nice but it is the system created by thr chairs of Science department that makes this school a shame to be at. I have never seen anything like this. I am planning on transferring to an other school. Oh another thing When you transfer or get accepted into the PA program at DYC. I mean you could be from Harvard but they will still want you to repeat gross anatomy, pathophysiology and biochemistry. Even if you took these same courses at Harvard a year ago, DYC will never transfer or give you credit for it. This way they take 2 semesters worth of tuition and make money. And they will also tell you that their education is superior than all universities. At the end of the day it is a school that wants money and doesn't spend it well on the students. I know a lot of people hate it. Overall, apply to other schools and hopefully you get accepted in others and try to keep this your last choice, If you get in.. Good luck applying. Paramedic23 you have great stats and should be able to get into other schools but that is good you are accepted here. 

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Tonyg-- Besides the money issue, are there any real problems with the school? Five years of paying for school is alot, but it is definitely worth it in the end. I will only be going for three so I think I will be able to handle it. I haven't taken Patho/Biochem, so that really doesnt apply to me as I will take it my first year anyways. Good luck finding another school.

Lonnie P in Bristol, Connecticut

40 months ago

I also go to D'Youville as a transfer student in the PA program. My stats are 20,000+ HCE, 3.7 GPA Bachelors of Science, and a retired Navy Corpsman. The school is a 5 year program that accepts freshman, but is after transfer students as well. And yes you will have to repeat some classes I understand the reasoning, which is the curriculum is based on what your taught at DYC not other colleges. And also the curriculum is current with what is on the state boards and PANCE board. So lets compare one class to another. Ex. University of Connecticut's microbiology is a joke compared to DYC's microbiology class, you will work your butt off for a B or better, but you will know what micro is when your completed. After UCONN class you will know the basics, DYC's you will know your micro in depth, which is important specifically when your prescribing antibiotics. Gross Anatomy- more detailed at DYC then any of the two I have taken elsewhere. Pathophysiology, very detailed and hard at DYC but again one of the most important classes that you need as a PA to be competitive and successful in the program and when your completed. Tuition is expensive, but if I was to compare tuition to quality of education that DYC is providing..Then it is well worth it in my books. Just like in everyday life, some people are happy with certain things and some are not. I would recommend this school in a heart beat and have to others. But on the other hand I am one of those who is not a advocate for high school kids being accepted directly into PA programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

DYCPA2013 in Angola, New York

40 months ago

Hey guys, In in my didactic year at Dyouville (Graduation Class of 2013)and so far the program is great. I had a previous degree coming into the school, 4.0 GPA. Didn't have any "hands on" experience as far as EMT/Paramedic/etc, so you guys/girls coming in with that experience will have a big advantage, especially when you start learning about certain paralytic,BP,ER meds, EKG, etc etc etc. If you guys have any questions, I can do my best to answer them, I never come on here mostly because this didactic year (the year where you learn ALL the material) is crazy with tests/quizzes/assignments/presentations. I left my P1 year of pharmacy school and couldn't be happier with my decision. The PA faculty are seriously unbelievably nice. They WANT you to succeed and get through this program. Will they do the work for you? No...but if you put in the time and effort, you will do just fine. I've heard horror stories of other programs where it's each person for themselves. The cost of tuition is actually lower compared to alot of other schools, plus they don't charge graduate tuition till (I think) the last 6 months of the program.

Tonyg- you're a 5th year out of high school? So are you on your rotations yet? Sorry to hear of your experience. I admit I had to take some stupid "fluff" classes that were D'youville specific like challenges of death, bioethics, etc, but no school is perfect, and sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and do it (like you are).
Sorry for the long post, good luck to everyone coming in next year, and those who are applying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Student1 in Jackson, New Jersey

39 months ago

I am planning to transfer to D'Youville next semester but they will put me under Biology first. I did nursing but I took it for granted. I am not sure if they will disqualify me from getting an interview. Is it hard to get into the program? I am currently attending Montclair State University as a Nutrition Major and shadow PA on a regular basis in a local hospital. Does that count towards direct patient contact?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DYCemployee in Buffalo, New York

37 months ago

I'm not in Admissions or PA program faculty/staff but I have something to say about tonyg's comments. D'Youville is a small private college so we don't have big endowments or get federal/state funding like public schools. We are almost entirely tuition dependent for operating expenses and it's far more expensive to run health-care related programs like PA than business management or liberal arts. The tuition you pay does reflect that. But, you will get both a BS and an MS in 5 years at undergrad tuition rates and you'll get a great education. You'll work HARD but also get good support and attention when you need it. Competition for entry into the PA program is stiff. Though I don't remember the exact numbers, I do recall being astonished over the number that get turned away because there simply isn't room in the program. Our marketing materials tout small classes taught by professors (not TA's) who are invested in your success and personal attention. Those things are true. The PA program faculty and staff I've worked with directly are super. My co-workers and I are underpaid but none of us are running for the door because D'Youville is a great place to work. The people are caring, helpful, friendly and want students to succeed.

You could go to a less expensive school but you could also get lost in the shuffle and might not get the comprehensive curriculum you need. Do 5 years here and you'll be a knowledgeable, job-ready professional. You have to decide whether that's worth the cost. Regardless, best of luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.