Does a State college Bachelors degree matter to become a PA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Antoinette in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

21 months ago

Hello,
I am considering the field of P.A and have a few questions. I am currently attending a state college and I almost have my A.A degree. I intend to start my bachelors degree for biology once I have completed my A.A. I have almost all of the P.A Prereqs done and have A's in all of them that I have completed. I am volunteering, but I am only doing patient transport (I figured for now thats all that is necessary). I have a 3.68 GPA and I am 24 y.o. My questions are: Does a State college Bachelors degree matter to become a PA or would a University be ideal? Are my volunteering hours that I am doing in vain for my P.A goal? Would it be better for me to become a RRT for experience in the medical field, and then start on my bachelors degree, or would that just be a detour? Lastly, I have looked at many different websites, but I am getting different figures for an average P.A income. Does anyone have any insight? Any answers are VERY much appreciated.

Thanks,
Antoinette

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ramy Elsayyad in Brooklyn, New York

21 months ago

Antoinette in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: Hello,
I am considering the field of P.A and have a few questions. I am currently attending a state college and I almost have my A.A degree. I intend to start my bachelors degree for biology once I have completed my A.A. I have almost all of the P.A Prereqs done and have A's in all of them that I have completed. I am volunteering, but I am only doing patient transport (I figured for now thats all that is necessary). I have a 3.68 GPA and I am 24 y.o. My questions are: Does a State college Bachelors degree matter to become a PA or would a University be ideal? Are my volunteering hours that I am doing in vain for my P.A goal? Would it be better for me to become a RRT for experience in the medical field, and then start on my bachelors degree, or would that just be a detour? Lastly, I have looked at many different websites, but I am getting different figures for an average P.A income. Does anyone have any insight? Any answers are VERY much appreciated.

Thanks,
Antoinette

hell, im medical technology major and i just a week a go thinking about become a PA (Physician Assistant) and as far as my search through college here in down state of New york city, i found some college who require "Bachelors degree:, but i read too that you still have chance to get into their program if you that go to that college and speak to them and based on your grades i see, hopefully they tell to come for interview and that probably will determine if they should accept you or not plus i read that personal easy or the letter you write as part of the requirements is very very important. i also recommend that you check out that college that you like (that require Bachelors degree) and if some of the courses they require are not in your major then you should mention to them that you can take those course (classes) before you start taking them and mention your volunteering hours work as well.

21 months ago

Antoinette in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: Hello,

Thanks,
Antoinette

here is a link from a website i use to check out college here in New York www.paeaonline.org/index.php
so, once you click you the website, you will in top left "Physician Assistant Program Map", click on and page will open and it have a map of all states in America. under click on the arrow and select Florida then click "do search" and and a list of college will appear and each one of them have a direct link to their Physician Assistant program which you can click on and go directly to check everything this college have a bout "PA program".
i forget that i also found some college here in New York which did not require "Bachelors degree", so there are both who reuire and who don't. so i hope my info will be helpful to you and others (who will read the comment)somehow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Antoinette

21 months ago

Thank you. After further research I have decided it would be best to get my bachelors in biology at the best University I can get into and I am preparing a list as of now. I have decided against going to Respiratory Therapy school and doing CNA instead. I am only going to be doing CNA for the work experience, because I see that 2-4 years of medical experience is preferred to get into PA program.

I decided to go full force for my goal and I hope I can achieve it. If you or anyone else has more suggestions PLEASE feel free to comment.

21 months ago

you welcome first of all. second of all i wish the best and luck for you and every body who really work hard and means well. third and last, i advice you(which i will also do)to check the colleges in the website i wrote you above and check the college around where you live because you might probably find at least one college near you that does not require finishing your degree (having Bachelors degree not needed or require) and then you can save your time from taking course that you don't need and give that time to finish the courses that college require and prepare for their interview and by what i see from your comment: you have As grades, great GPA and you doing volunteering hours work, i believe you have a really great shot in being accepted unlike my my chance is not that good because my college destroyed a lot of my courses grades and that affect other classes grades. Anyway,you can still do what you want in your major and try find enough time to go that college and see if they really do need from you to finish your Bachelors degree and you might be surprise that they will say "we don't need from you to finish up, just finish the requirement course and complete all applications forms including personal essay" and then the review. Good luck again and i hope you take this comment from me in a good way, i don't mean to tell you what to do, it is just what i believe is a right thing to help others (in good things only)and i would like others share what they think or believe and know with me as im sharing with you now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.